Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Grats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
dems: here's this real lovely status quo candidate who thinks everything's mostly great already

*loses election*

dems, looking in the mirror: we gotta get more status quoeyer

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

my other car is a status quo

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
25k in a country of 300 million though. :| It's a start.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

pro-jobs, aka tax cuts for the rich??

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

They're singing the same songs
And wearing the same old clothes
Driving the same drive
But always driving too slow

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

anime was right posted:

pro-jobs, aka tax cuts for the rich??

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Trickle down from tax cuts will work wonders this time!

HIRE👏MORE👏TAX👏CREDITS👏

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Main Paineframe posted:

nah, most of them realize there are lessons to learn

unfortunately, they've decided that the lesson they need to learn is to dump potentially "divisive" social issues and focus entirely on an economy-and-jobs message based around handing out discounted college for young STEM majors, tax credits for businesses, and free pairs of bootstraps through affordable private loans for everyone else

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lol so like not only are they the 80s republicans economically, but now they're like "well why not do social issues too"

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

deadgoon posted:

wait are we trying to solve racism or solve FOR racism

we subtract racists imo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So we gotta lose 2020 as well, another census, and probably 2024 before the Democrats are well and truly dead.

That's fine with me, see y'all after the Great War.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
how many people do yall think will stop voting democrat once marijuana is legalized nation wide

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Relin posted:

how many people do yall think will stop voting democrat once marijuana is legalized nation wide

the gop is gonna destroy the democratic coalition when they run on lowering the weed tax

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
hahahaha i didnt think of that

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
the only thing holding the democrats together is social issues and with the GOP giving up on gay marriage that's one of the big unifying issues gone

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

the gop is gonna destroy the democratic coalition when they run on lowering the weed tax

This is going to be a future problem, yeah. The taxes are acceptable now because legal in any form is better than illegal, but they are making them too high. It's regressive and wrong.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Scent of Worf posted:

nice. figures that when they finally decide to put economic issues at the forefront they decide to cater to the blue dogs xD

Who's got that cartoon where the Dems are trying to decide whether to focus on (iirc) wwc or poc, then realize that an economy-focused message would appeal to both, and so decide to move right on the economy?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ironghazi/status/892422474226442242

yeah, and i have no faith that booker actually wants legal weed because 1) lol not with this fed legislature, and 2) fuckin block grantin' it up all over the place will surely mean that the states that don't have a reason not to make weed legal will turn down the chance to legally shake down brown people and college kids or decide that keeping a ready source of compulsory labor for privately-managed prisons is actually lame and bad.

gently caress you, booker -- maybe propose that poo poo when dems retake control.

if you incompetent bunch of assholes ever decide to stop loving around and decide to actually put forth an effort to win.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
idk weed being taxed heavily as a direct funding mechanism for education seems fine by me and something dems should suppport since education will only be funded minimally or not at all otherwise

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

2) fuckin block grantin' it up all over the place will surely mean that the states that don't have a reason not to make weed legal will turn down the chance to legally shake down brown people and college kids or decide that keeping a ready source of compulsory labor for privately-managed prisons is actually lame and bad.

otoh im for anything that makes full balkanization more of a reality

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

ex post facho posted:

idk weed being taxed heavily as a direct funding mechanism for education seems fine by me and something dems should suppport since education will only be funded minimally or not at all otherwise

I dunno, trying to help poor students by screwing poor parents kind of feels like a centrist plan to me.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
not really sure how a heavy tax on weed screws poor parents tbqh, since they're probably not buying anyway

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

FuriousxGeorge posted:

25k in a country of 300 million though. :| It's a start.

If that number triples again in another year, things will get interesting. Especially since unlike Dem or R, you gotta go out and join up and pay your dues to be in DSA, so a larger percent of those people are "active" than people who are just registered Republicans and Democrats.

Also, worth pointing out, that the DSA is heavily focused on local elections. They are running/endorsing city councilpeeps, school board candidates, and the like. I don't think we'll be a huge factor in 2018, but by 2020 or 2024 (lol like we'll have elections by then)? Maybe.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

ex post facho posted:

not really sure how a heavy tax on weed screws poor parents tbqh, since they're probably not buying anyway

Yeah, I like my weed and all, but go ahead and tax it for schools and narcan

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

ex post facho posted:

Ummm, why do you think that? They buy plenty of booze. And, you know, already expensive black market pot. And every other drug.

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 21:55 on Aug 1, 2017

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also, #2020DemCandidates is a good hashtag to follow:

https://twitter.com/pbaggab/status/892468060585644033
https://twitter.com/Bullneck/status/892469741880823809
https://twitter.com/Mobute/status/892469861191909377
https://twitter.com/Mobute/status/892470166491209728
https://twitter.com/sexyfacts4u/status/892480454301011969

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
like i get how high cigarette and alcohol taxes are regressive bc they are addictive af and are consumed in much greater proportion by poor folks, is the same true of weed even though it definitely does not have the same physically addictive properties? i honestly dont know

i feel like weed is so commonly consumed across all demographics that it might suck that joe sixjoints can't buy an eighth for $20 and now needs to pay $30, but the net good of bolstering starving education system with weedbux outweighs most of those circumstances

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

regressive taxes are p bad even if the dollars go to good things

that's my piping hot take ty

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

ex post facho posted:

like i get how high cigarette and alcohol taxes are regressive bc they are addictive af and are consumed in much greater proportion by poor folks, is the same true of weed even though it definitely does not have the same physically addictive properties? i honestly dont know

The alcohol and cig taxes are justifiably regressive because of the dangers of those products. You want a tax regime that encourages people to use pot over those drugs if they have to use something, not one that puts them on the same tier or even taxes pot more heavily.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i mean yeah it would be sweet if we could cut the defense budget 2% and create the greatest education system in hte world with the 18-20 bil, but this is america we're talking about here

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

"We can't do the right thing because of political realities. It will never, ever happen. So, have a lovely compromise that disproportionately burdens the poor."

Like I said, centrism. :)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i dont think the calvinist and anti-drug culture of america will ever allow pot to be seen as a better alternative to alcohol or cigarettes lol

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ex post facho posted:

i dont think the calvinist and anti-drug culture of america will ever allow pot to be seen as a better alternative to alcohol or cigarettes lol

*looks at colorado* oh woorrrd

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Jesus you don't event need to do much digging to find Harris is a repulsive piece of poo poo.

http://www.colorlines.com/articles/california-parents-could-get-jail-time-if-kids-miss-school

quote:

The initiative was pushed by California attorney general hopeful Kamala Harris, a rising star in the Democratic Party who "Today" show host Matt Lauer dubbed "the female Obama." Harris has smartly tied crime rates with dropout rates; the correlation between kids' educational achievement and the rate of their criminal convictions is direct. And yet the solutions are alarmingly punitive.

Parents whose kids miss any more than 10 percent of their classes can be charged with a misdemeanor and slammed with a $2,000 fine or a yearlong jail sentence if, after being offered state support and counseling, their kids still fail to improve their attendance. Before SB 1317, parents could be prosecuted under a child endangerment statute. Now kids' absenteeism has become a crime all its own. The state labels a student as truant if they have more than three unexcused absences in one school year on their record.

Yeah nothing helps troubled kids like throwing their parents in jail.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
the right thing in this scenario being appropriately funding the institutions that are the underpinning of civil society, i agree, but democrats as well as republicans stand in the way of that

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Agean90 posted:

*looks at colorado* oh woorrrd

yo why do you think weed is taxed at 25% flat on sale price here and alcohol based on volume

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Iron Twinkie posted:

But wait'll you see how much money we can get out of them once they're in there

Serf
May 5, 2011

Iron Twinkie posted:

Jesus you don't event need to do much digging to find Harris is a repulsive piece of poo poo.

http://www.colorlines.com/articles/california-parents-could-get-jail-time-if-kids-miss-school

2000 dollars is a fuckin fortune

are you kidding me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ex post facho posted:

yo why do you think weed is taxed at 25% here and not 8% like alcohol

$$$ and alcohol industry having a lobbying apparatus?

• Locked thread