Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Brooklyn Brown Ale is pretty good so I hope their weird cross-marketing thing works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I cracked and bought some M-43 after all and what a juice tape it is. Even as a newly minted Maine resident who hasn't gotten over the hazy tapes I think it was one of the best ones out there and well worth buying. thos haze

Shorts also has a fake NE IPA (dipa actually) called Slurm Lord and that's super good as well. Has what i keep thinking of as a "yellow fruit" taste, not sure what that means but it's more in the direction of sweet tropical fruit rather than citrus juice.

krustster fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 30, 2017

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

the interesting thing about m-43 is old nation pretty much brewed nothing but mediocre poo poo before it.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

funkybottoms posted:

i live in Manchester and, yeah, it looks like they did

you know that you don't have to drive further than Richmond western Henrico to get milkshake IPAs right

Are you still at ardent? I'm moving to Richmond in a couple weeks from DC.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Gio posted:

the interesting thing about m-43 is old nation pretty much brewed nothing but mediocre poo poo before it.

They're also the reason every brewery in Michigan has a "Hazy/New England IPA" on their taplist right now. It's pretty crazy.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

pretty much, yeah, most of which ain't that good. m-43 is probably the best i've had. still haven't had any transient NEIPAs, which i'd assume are as good or better. witch's hat 'this guy', despite the awful name and bottle art, is very good, too.

the genesis story is pretty interesting and it's crazy to think that the thought of making it happened not even a year ago. now you can find it pretty much everywhere.

"Detroit Free Press posted:

On August 10, 2016, he joined a robust debate in a comment thread with Detroit Area Craft Beer Enthusiasts, a Facebook group of nearly 3,000 members. The New England-style IPA — exemplified by the Alchemist in Stowe, Vt., and Trillium Brewing in Boston — had aroused lots of contentious chatter, with some arguing the style was overhyped and often rife with flaws.

Fritts stepped in and, in a civil tone, explained the science behind the style's especially juicy hop flavors, along with some beer history, and seemed to cool off the naysayers. It was a first for Fritts, 38, a brewer trained in Germany, with 15 years of experience that includes Detroit Beer, Arcadia Brewing and others.

The next day, as the discussion thread continued, Fritts invited a few of the group members to come out to the brewery, offer their advice and experiment. The next month, they gave it a try. Fast-forward about seven months, and Old Nation's series of New England IPAs is a huge hit. The brewery held eight can-release events in the past few months, and every time, all the beer was sold out by mid-afternoon.

i was at the brewery a little over a month ago and their NEIPAs are literally the only thing they know how to brew right.

Gio fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 31, 2017

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Gio posted:

still haven't had any transient NEIPAs, which i'd assume are as good or better.

Like the entire style, they're fine.

2014 Stone IRS was pretty solid tonight.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

danbanana posted:

Like the entire style, they're fine.
i like m-43 a hell of a lot but yeah i agree with the sentiment, or what i'd assume is your sentiment. another style, another flavor. that's it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Gio posted:

i like m-43 a hell of a lot but yeah i agree with the sentiment, or what i'd assume is your sentiment. another style, another flavor. that's it.

I’ve had some random batches of m-43 that seemed “watery”, but every batch of Boss Tweed they’ve released has been really tasty.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I had some M-43 last night and it was solid enough. I'd pick it up if I was local, but it's not worth trading for.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Friend of mine backed out of Shelton and now they imposed a deadline on vip ticket changes till tomorrow night. If anyone is interested, it's Friday VIP session and sat normal.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

Captain Duvel posted:

Friend of mine backed out of Shelton and now they imposed a deadline on vip ticket changes till tomorrow night. If anyone is interested, it's Friday VIP session and sat normal.

Email me at Mflesher729@gmail.com

oh boy my birthday is gonna be lit

nah
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

and often rife with flaws

This describes most craft beers

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Whoa whoa what Jester King is pouring Synthesis Analogous at Shelton Fest and it's NOT a VIP beer? :aaaaa:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I still find it crazy that the end result of Green Flash's purchase of Alpine was essentially killing Alpine dead as a brand.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is Forest & Main taking tasting note writing lessons from Tired Hands?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
They've been doing that for quite some time

edit: also i'm pissed that they have that many beers on, last time I went they only had 4

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ah I haven't been back here in a while, apparently they stopped doing flights too?!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Jean IV brewing with F&M, everyone tripping balls on mushrooms.

:2bong: You know, a flight is just like, four small beers man
:okpos: Don't do this to me bro, you're freaking me out!!!

I'm guessing it was just too much of a hassle for the bartenders but I'll pretend it was Tired Hands' fault somehow.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I didn't get to go to Forest and Main on my recent trip up to Ardmore and I'm still bummed. Such a cool, weird little place. And such cheap drafts! 20oz mugs of weirdo saisons with hops I've never heard of for $6? Sign me the gently caress up.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Forest and Main is that artsy hippie guy who smokes weed on nature walks and paints pictures of the sunset.

Tired Hands is that dude who can't shut up about Burning Man.

Both stoner breweries, different execution.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

HatfulOfHollow posted:

And post rock... :allears:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Forest and Main is that artsy hippie guy who smokes weed on nature walks and paints pictures of the sunset.

Both stoner breweries, different execution.

visit RVA and characterize all the breweries here please

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
Anyone going to Ommegang this weekend for BCTC? The brewery list is reminding me how much the landscape has changed even since a year ago.

I'm going with a bunch of friends for the second year since those of us who went last year had such a good time a few more wanted to join.

A few of us managed to get VIP this year so looking forward to an extra night of food and camping.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The only beers I like are Not Your Mom's Strawberry Rhubarb and Twisted Tea. I don't like the fizz, I don't like the pee aftertaste, I don't like the hops. Two questions: am I broken? What other beers might I like?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Neither of those are beer. They are flavored malt liquor. You don't like beer.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

try a can (not bottle) of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. if you enjoy that, try out some milk stouts- the one from Left Hand has little to no hop bitterness and is crazy easy to drink

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Sapporo bought Anchor...

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Anyone going to Ommegang this weekend for BCTC? The brewery list is reminding me how much the landscape has changed even since a year ago.

I'm going with a bunch of friends for the second year since those of us who went last year had such a good time a few more wanted to join.

A few of us managed to get VIP this year so looking forward to an extra night of food and camping.

I'll be there for the first time, camping Saturday night. Should be a good time!

How are they with bringing in glass bottles? Just keep them out of sight in the car when arriving?

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

atothesquiz posted:

How are they with bringing in glass bottles? Just keep them out of sight in the car when arriving?

Last year we didn't bring anything because we weren't sure, but they didn't check anything anyone was bringing in.

We will probably be bringing a cooler with some bottles/cans and food, but even if you don't there will be tons of people giving stuff out everywhere

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

This describes most craft beers

Is it true that you leaving CCB killed the El Catador Club?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

air- posted:

Whoa whoa what Jester King is pouring Synthesis Analogous at Shelton Fest and it's NOT a VIP beer? :aaaaa:

Update oh HELL yes

http://mybeerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/08/jester-king-synthesis-analogous-blend-2.html

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

No, but it is true that me leaving El Cat killed CCB.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm enjoying revisiting beers as my tastes change and Beazly is wonderful and everything I want in a beer. Probably my favorite local beer right now.
Also cheap and rather strong.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

everythingWasBeazly posted:

I'm enjoying revisiting beers as my tastes change and Beazly is wonderful and everything I want in a beer. Probably my favorite local beer right now.
Also cheap and rather strong.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Portland.

Holy gently caress, Portland (and more generally, Western Oregon). You got some good poo poo going on.

Trip was a great success and I was pleased with almost everywhere I went. Highlights:

- Hanging out for a while at Block 15, eating an extremely good charcuterie plate with samples of almost everything they had on tap. Best thing: Hypnosis, bourbon barrel aged barleywine that wasn't obscenely boozy, just raisiny and sweet and delicious.
- Riding down the coast to Yachats, annoying my Portland buddy by insisting on pronouncing it in Yiddish, and finding a very solid brewery with exceptionally great food (beet latkes? five kinds of house-fermented kimchi? smoky quail chowder? YES!).
- Hoplandia. Went there two nights, once for their tap and bottle selection and once for a small bottle share. Cool staff, very good prices on everything, and a chill vibe. I highly recommend adding them to your drinking rotation.
- Reverend Nat's Hard Cider. Especially the Tepachemole y Banana, their basic Tepache (lightly-fermented pineapple juice, still very fresh-tasting) mixed with mole poblano, corn meal, and banana. It was loving weird, grainy, chocolatey, a bit spicy, and easily the most interesting thing I drank all trip. Also the bartender, who shared figs from her home garden with us.
- Lombard House, a bar in a converted house across the street from a permanent food truck lot. Gave me a new bar for Chill Drinking Establishment, and had Special Herbs on tap along with some other nice stuff.
- Rainier. It's really good lovely beer, especially at the end of a long night of overdrinking/eating/everything, paired with an entirely too-elaborate Frito pie.
- Upright's absolutely bare-bones tasting room, which lacks even a bar.
- Cascade Barrel House, and its close neighbor Commons. Kentucky Peach (Cascade) is the best peach beer I've had in a long time. Kthonios (Commons) was a weird brett/lacto sour stout - no real roastiness but super interesting.
- Occidental, for both their spot-on German styles (especially the lagers) and the best German food. The spaetzle with gruyere was ridiculous and I totally did not need it after trying the sausages, but the resulting food coma probably saved me from a hangover the next day. Bravo all around, guys.
- OMSI's Pompeii exhibit for distracting me for a half day, a much needed respite for my liver.
- Culmination Brewing, for being (fittingly) my final brewery stop on this trip. I'd intended to check out one or two more, but between the great beers in all styles and the awesome service staff I stayed there for several hours. How many places can the bartender talk about brett/lacto strains, then switch over to give detailed opinions on Pinot Noir clone subtypes? Also, that Table Saison was the most ridiculously crushable thing I had all trip - and I had a lot of crushable things.

There were other stops, some very good, but those were the best places I managed to stumble into. Great trip, great people, and if I hadn't spent all of my money (and most of my luggage weight allowance) at Powell's I might have been able to bring back some more beer. I guess I'll just have to go back for more.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Who all is up in Vermont for FoFA? I think I saw at least two people post about it. Anyone staying in Waterbury and taking the bus I posted about?

Did a short hike to Moss Glen Falls, went to Hill Farm and crushed their ridiculous on site lost, hiked Mount Pisgah, then swung by Parker Pies for dinner on the way back.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

we hosted part of a large homebrew competition last night and i helped judge. the scary part is that, out of seven beers i tasted, the copper-colored Baltic porter that smelled exactly like tomato was not the worst.

now to see if my scathing remarks come back to haunt me!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

we hosted part of a large homebrew competition last night and i helped judge. the scary part is that, out of seven beers i tasted, the copper-colored Baltic porter that smelled exactly like tomato was not the worst.

now to see if my scathing remarks come back to haunt me!

Tomato porters are the next hazy IPAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I''m seeing the same rumors about Catador. I'm not sure what to think. What I do know is that Oskar Blues would rather focus their energy on really big projects and not relatively small projects. I remember giving a tour to one of their guys and talking about wanting to invest in remodeling the tasting room, and he didn't understand why invest in a tasting room when you can just plop a bunch of tanks down and pump out Jai Alai.

My feeling before I was dropped was that ECC and Hunahpu's Day wouldn't be much longer for the world, at least not in their current forms. Hunahpu's Day will probably be absorbed by OB's Can'd AId thing. I feel like Hunahpu's will wind up seeing distribution.

Oh and the other guy responsible for ECC and Hunahpu's Day just left CCB a week ago.