Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lindsays Broadway musical dissections are really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
so I just spotted this video randomly in my recommendations and I had no idea jenny does a webshow? it's not exactly on thread topic but it has a lot of crossover from stuff people post here and also it's really loving funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kdSN4NBvCA

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIteyfOVqnQ
I'm surprised it took this long for Linkara to get to Batman: Odyssey

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

cat doter posted:

so I just spotted this video randomly in my recommendations and I had no idea jenny does a webshow? it's not exactly on thread topic but it has a lot of crossover from stuff people post here and also it's really loving funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kdSN4NBvCA

That's the one guest who deserves her passive-aggressive hosting style. It's a great show because it's ostensibly Star Wars marketing pablum but she wrenches it into contemptuous ridicule so effortlessly.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWKlmbTudD8

i'd watch rich evans vs alien

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Hot drat this was a good analysis of LISA. I'm a little more positive on Joyful- that atmosphere was submerging- but I can see why Hbomberguy didn't love Joyful. Still, this was a fantastic video and did one of my favourite video games justice.

As for Night in the Woods, I don't know. I played that game but I don't think there's a lot of meat there to analyze. My enjoyment of NITW was mixed. I didn't think it was a good game. It had good parts but the whole was poor.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmao is josh wearing a mitch mcconnel in the role of pale man shirt

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
So RegularCarReviews decided to break format from talking about old cars to do a video game literary analysis on Night in the Woods.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The RC guys are loving sharp as all hell, pretty much the best writing I've ever seen in a YT show. It's like the weird humor lovechild of Neil Simon and Mr. Show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I know it's like two years past its sell-by date now, but I kinda want to see Regular do an analysis of Undertale, given how many references to it he slips into various RCR episodes.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

achillesforever6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIteyfOVqnQ
I'm surprised it took this long for Linkara to get to Batman: Odyssey

I only recall three things from Linkara.

One, he made running gags from Batman's "Bees, my god" and Superman's "I am a man" quotes.

Two, he's a butthurt manchild who takes power rangers super seriously and doesn't have a set schedule for researching all 24 seasons of the show (he'll never even get around to finishing it because of YouTube's copyright detector and there's another PR season every year) because he's busy reviewing comics by artists and writers who have more talent than he could ever try.

Three, he's actually a creepy weirdo with some hosed up fetishes in the past...and Iron Liz had to learn about that the hard way. *shudders*

Good to know he's not giving up his day job.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
what the gently caress is this fetish accusation poo poo

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

He is caught up on that PR stuff and is apparently recutting old episodes even. :v:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Linkara's just a huge dork but he's a goddamn workhorse, and nobody cares about anyone's fetishes unless they're really funny.

I don't care much for him as a reviewer, but as a person he seems like a really good dude.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Junior Jr. posted:

I only recall three things from Linkara.

One, he made running gags from Batman's "Bees, my god" and Superman's "I am a man" quotes.

Two, he's a butthurt manchild who takes power rangers super seriously and doesn't have a set schedule for researching all 24 seasons of the show (he'll never even get around to finishing it because of YouTube's copyright detector and there's another PR season every year) because he's busy reviewing comics by artists and writers who have more talent than he could ever try.

Three, he's actually a creepy weirdo with some hosed up fetishes in the past...and Iron Liz had to learn about that the hard way. *shudders*

Good to know he's not giving up his day job.
Aren't you the shithead who was praising internetaristocrat videos?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lewis Lovhaug wears a fedora as part of his internet persona.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'm the shithead who mocks channel awesome people for thinking they know movies/games/comics better, even though little to none of them actually know how the industry works, and they're afraid of getting a real job.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

I was just about to mention him. He apparently made videos on Nostalgia Critic and Spoony and someone linked me to his NC video to show me why "everyone hates Doug Walker now." It was informative insofar as I hadn't watched an NC video in years so I had no clue what he had gotten up to but then the guy started talking about SJews and I later found this horrifically racist video from him called "We Wuz Kings."

I was never the biggest Nostalgia Critic or Linkara fan (I still love Spoony, though but that seems like a taboo subject in here) but I'm pretty sure their various failings still don't come close to being a racist pro-GG shitlord.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Internet Critic Discussion Thread PSA #8492: Don't respond to or quote Junior Jr. :eng101:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DoctorWhat posted:

Don't worry, I have a 4chan thread that will explain everything

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

(I still love Spoony, though but that seems like a taboo subject in here)

I think it's fair to say I still love his old good content, like the Phantasmagoria playthrough.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Can't believe Linkara made fun of industry giant, Gerard Jones, for writing a Batman comic where Batman hates Rock N Roll music because his dad said not to listen to it on the night he died.

Roth fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 1, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Roth posted:

Can't believe Linkara made fun of industry giant, Gerard Jones, for writing a Batman comic where Batman hates Rock N Roll music because his dad said not to on the night he died.

those NC cucks are just jealous that they'll never be as well known as Jones' work with children is.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Junior Jr. posted:

I'm the shithead who mocks channel awesome people for thinking they know movies/games/comics better, even though little to none of them actually know how the industry works, and they're afraid of getting a real job.

Junior Jr. posted:

God this one was harsh, like really harsh, but THIS was the reality check Noah desperately needed.

I know I've already mentioned I used to be a fan of Spoony, since sometime around 2008, but seeing him turning into a lost cause, STILL bitching on Twitter and STILL not updating or keeping promises to his patrons has deeply broken my heart.

And to think I used to partially defend this guy after his tweet to JesuOtaku and feud with Lupa, when I never realised he's done worse poo poo than that...I mean my god.

Never have I grown such deep hatred towards this arsehole, but somehow he's so retarded that he can't take a hint that his fans don't want him doing boring livestreams and leeching off of their money and doing nothing productive in the process. Hell I even looked back at his last review when he teased future reviews of Final Fantasy XIII-2 and some Highlander film...and that was three years ago.

I've supported him even after his backlashes and that's already died out. Now after watching Internet Aristocrat/Mister Metokur's video, and Spoony's response to that wasn't "I should understand my fanbase used to care for me back then and I should address my current situation" but instead "why are people hating on me", he's confirmed to me that he's definitely a lost cause.

-

I know Noah will never see this post, hell he doesn't even have an SA account, but if he does...I want him to understand something.

Noah, you are a oval office, you are a loving scummy oval office.

When you were in your prime, myself and thousands of fans used to love watching your Final Fantasy reviews, Highlander rants, and the Ultima retrospective. You had fans who seriously gave a poo poo about your work inside and outside of Channel Awesome. We donated to your Patreon because we were your supporters and believed in you, no matter what poo poo you were in (even with Scarlett) we'd still be there for you.

So what did you do to your fans who followed you for 7 years? You treated them like poo poo, took their money and ran and barely updated your content! Not only that, you talked poo poo on livestreams, burned bridges with your CA peers, and ruined your credibility as a reviewer by loving tweeting non-stop, even as YOUR loving DOG FOR gently caress'S SAKE!

Is it any wonder why April is still putting up with your poo poo and you don't bring up Miles anymore?

And now look at you...all you do now is tweet about WWE, complain at people on social media, disable comments in your videos because you don't want to know what people really think of your work, do livestreams of games where you feel like you'd rather play them WITHOUT streaming them in the first place, have some weird plot in your last reviews that later went nowhere (gee I wonder why), have no use for your VHS board games that may as well clutter up your house, rely on Patreon for more money instead of getting a real job, and most importantly...you're COMPLETELY LEFT ON YOUR OWN because all your friends, fans, and collaborators have ABANDONED YOU!

I loving despise of you now, you're nothing but a loving scumbag. A part of me really doesn't want to believe that, but you've MADE ME believe it...I've yet to see an apology from you since you clearly hate your fans.

I was hoping, really hoping you'd come to your senses, do the right thing and tried to earn respect from your fans...but you BETRAYED them. I should've known better...and Lupa possibly did too.

Noah, you truly are a loving scummy oval office.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Fuckin lol, yeah that's who I thought it was, eat a thousand pounds of poo poo Jr Jr.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

:eyepop:

Anyway yeah, no matter what you think about Linkara's content, the dude's got a steady work-ethic and just seems super chill. That nerds get super mad at him is hilarious.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Junior Jr. posted:

eat a dick, preferably your own

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Lol mate, why don't you post your essay about Spoony again

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Jill Bearup has a review of Jesus Christ Superstar up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prWt0bpg9w0

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So today I was looking through Linkara's garbage can, as I do every morning, and I found

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Jirard the Completionist was asked by his old co-host/friend to take down any videos that featured him and Jirard is complying. That's 120+ episodes that'll be gone from his channel in about a month.

Dude is promising to re-complete all those games he did though in future episodes, which means he'll be making six videos a month instead of four. He's dedicated I'll give him that. I just hope he's not overexerting himself. Some of those games were time-sinks the first time he went through them. Like dude I understand if you don't wanna go through DK64 again.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Jirard the Completionist was asked by his old co-host/friend to take down any videos that featured him and Jirard is complying. That's 120+ episodes that'll be gone from his channel in about a month.

Dude is promising to re-complete all those games he did though in future episodes, which means he'll be making six videos a month instead of four. He's dedicated I'll give him that. I just hope he's not overexerting himself. Some of those games were time-sinks the first time he went through them. Like dude I understand if you don't wanna go through DK64 again.

I'm watching this video right now as I just saw it come up on my subs and ran right to this thread just to see if anyone mentioned this. His old co-host is a loving snake if true, wow. Especially if it's true he never responded to giving into his demands. Regardless of what went down, that's a totally classless move there.

I think Jirard takes community comments way too personally though tbh. He needs a a better backbone. I get annoyed at how often he addresses negative comments and pre-emptively strikes criticisms of his opinions during his videos etc. Dude just ignore them. You only feed the trolls by addressing them. IMO no loving way he's completing those first 120 games again though, that's just too much work and he's not going to enjoy it at all.

I've watched his channel for years now and I was overjoyed when Greg left a couple years ago. I always liked the review aspect of the show and thought the comedy segments were by far the worst parts of them. Greg was *not* funny at all. And a lovely friend too considering I remember him blowing up the entire situation on twitter when Jirard was trying to keep things private. But who knows what went down between them, maybe Jirard is an rear end in a top hat from the business side of things but Greg seems like a much bigger rear end in a top hat after a move like this.

Has anyone ever even done a ransom demand on a former channel before? This is going to be a big deal.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

beep by grandpa posted:

Has anyone ever even done a ransom demand on a former channel before? This is going to be a big deal.

Hmmmmmmmm, interesting.

So, a couple random thoughts.

1) Legally it's likely a coin toss. Just off raw odds, chances are that no formal agreement was ever signed by the two at any point during their partnership because for the vast majority of successful channels, they were started on a lark or as a hobby and grew unpredictably. People start on YouTube without ever considering that a contract might matter because, honestly, 99% of the time it doesn't matter. This means that both of them have a solid legal argument they can make in terms of either Greg's image release in perpetuity or his retention of his rights to control the use of his image. No formal agreement equally means no formal severing.

2) Removing that many videos simultaneously is going to do some weird things to the channel. YouTube tracks various stats in some odd ways, and two of those stats are total views and total watch minutes. Now, Jirard isn't at risk of losing any privileges as a result, but it'll mean suddenly losing something like fifty million total views which will probably have a weird AF impact on how the channel is treated by the algorithm for at least a couple months after it happens.

3) It will have an impact on revenue. Just looking through the backlog, there's a pretty decent number of videos in there that are very popular, and YouTube has likely placed them in the "watch next" queue over, and over, and over again for years, meaning that every month they've served as part of the baseline traffic that drives the channel's revenue. This is just a guess, but monthly revenue is likely 50% new content and 50% repeat views on backlog. So #2 plus #3 equals Who Knows What.

Now, that said, I can make a good argument for Jirard making the right choice.

1) he has a substantial number of loyal subs. His metrics don't indicate he's a "high influencer" but he's also not a "low influencer" either. He's not skating by purely at the whim of discoverability, so any upsets caused by the wonky metrics would likely correct themselves in a couple months.

2) these passionate fans downloading and re-watching old content before the cutoff will also drive a traffic spike before the deletion, which will further smooth the bump.

3) legally it leaves future content in an unambiguous place: no exhausting fights, no bad blood made worse, just content that he has unquestioned ownership of.

4) High-viewership videos from the backlog, like Majora's Mask, are still very popular, and producing those videos anew with a much higher sub count than two years ago means the new video will likely out-perform the old video by a healthy margin and reap that sweet, sweet NEW! video ad booty.

5) That's a lot of "new" content that he can draw on. For people who do retro and nostalgic content there's always the issue of running out stuff that you care to talk about, and "freeing up" titles like A Link to the Past and Super Metroid is like Christmas.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

DoctorWhat posted:

Based on miscellaneous impressions I've seen online, Linkara's fetish is going "HMMMMMH". Then again, I can't recall anytime he did that in a video that was really flagrant, so that could be off the mark.

More seriously, I think it's in reference to the old webcomic series he used to write (I think it was called Lightbringer), which I've heard has some questionable stuff in it. That being said, I imagine he's disowned it, and it's not really reflective of who he is now. Apart from that, there were a couple of instances in his earlier videos where he made mention of being an Objectivist (or favoring some aspects of Objectivism), but I think that's no longer the case.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
His fetish is bad pseudo-MST3K mockery/criticism of comic books.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

It does have to be multiple clones of Rich Evans vs Alien, though.

Speaking of fetishes, I have to wonder if whoever picked the third movie knew that's what it was.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kaleidolia posted:

Speaking of fetishes, I have to wonder if whoever picked the third movie knew that's what it was.

Given that it was Colin, who is as big of an oddball troll as Mike/Jay/Rich are themselves, I have to guess that it was intentional. And by that I mean chosen to make them suffer.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Max Wilco posted:

Based on miscellaneous impressions I've seen online, Linkara's fetish is going "HMMMMMH". Then again, I can't recall anytime he did that in a video that was really flagrant, so that could be off the mark.

More seriously, I think it's in reference to the old webcomic series he used to write (I think it was called Lightbringer), which I've heard has some questionable stuff in it. That being said, I imagine he's disowned it, and it's not really reflective of who he is now. Apart from that, there were a couple of instances in his earlier videos where he made mention of being an Objectivist (or favoring some aspects of Objectivism), but I think that's no longer the case.

There was some terrible rape stuff in it but he has heavily disowned it and admitted that it was absolutely horrible. I'm pretty sure he was a libertarian shithead and has turned around on that too. He seems like a harmless, hard working dude. :kiddo:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Its based on the fact that he used the same handle on some fetish sites that he did somewhere else and the 4chan people just googled it. There was some hilarious poo poo in there like having a hard-on for the green M&M and wanting to gently caress it. The rest was just the usual stuff you do on a fetish board, roleplay sexual fantasies and stuff.

Basically if you're gonna make yourself public, you better make sure your dirty laundry is safely hidden/sandblasted off the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

kaleidolia posted:

Probably the most disturbing video they've had on Best of the Worst, with the possible exception of Exploding Varmints.

• Locked thread