Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It really doesn't get more Staton/Curtis than a character named Public Domain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Shouldn't they at least spell it different, like "Public DeMain" or something like that?

I guess DT is historically pretty on the nose with their character names a lot of the time but other times it seems a little less obvious.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend Midsummer Day Dreams (click for huge)

And He Did. (December, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (February, 1917)

Doings of the Duffs. (November, 1918, click for big)

Fritzi Ritz (October, 1922, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (November, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (October, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (April, 1941)

Archie (March, 1956, click for big)

Mr. Tweedy (June, 1970, click for big)

Feiffer (1974, click for big)

Andy Capp (January, 1972, click for big)

Wee Pals (February, 1972, click for big)

Dick Tracy (November, 2001, click for big)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Stoma Lady will solve the case

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Thank god we have someone to explain to the world-famous detective how a fat person can escape quickly on a motorway.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

How do you gently caress up such a simple visual metaphor, you make the tombstone super wide and make the other tombstones next to it appear all huddled you have to be incredibly incompetent to gently caress it up holy gently caress

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Manspreading isn't about being tall it's about spreading your legs when seated in public areas to the detriment of other people sitting near you gently caress

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Calaveron posted:

How do you gently caress up such a simple visual metaphor, you make the tombstone super wide and make the other tombstones next to it appear all huddled you have to be incredibly incompetent to gently caress it up holy gently caress
They just brought a different manly image to mind instead. :flaccid:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I have reached a new personal record for how many comic strips I said " gently caress you" to, today.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Calaveron posted:

Manspreading isn't about being tall it's about spreading your legs when seated in public areas to the detriment of other people sitting near you gently caress

Please don't mansplain this.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

I have reached a new personal record for how many comic strips I said " gently caress you" to, today.

Here! Let me help!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Holbrook comics really have their own special way of pissing me off. They're really consistent, over years and years, but they're always consistently not funny. Like it's tuned to some bandwidth of humor that's above or below what any normal person would find funny, and he just never ever fixes it. Every comic ends with a panel like "And here's the punchline! Good eh?" and your brain is just like "what the gently caress? no"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Haifisch posted:

2002 Spiderman

That's not MJ!

Cicadalek posted:

Holbrook comics really have their own special way of pissing me off. They're really consistent, over years and years, but they're always consistently not funny. Like it's tuned to some bandwidth of humor that's above or below what any normal person would find funny, and he just never ever fixes it. Every comic ends with a panel like "And here's the punchline! Good eh?" and your brain is just like "what the gently caress? no"

Hey now, it's not easy to come up with three funny punchlines/day!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Cicadalek posted:

There's also just the "whew good thing our characters are good and blameless in all scenarios even if there's no reason they should be like however the hosed up meat eating society members work". Oh the mom runs some kind of carnivore company too but don't worry, they're not evil somehow.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (June 2-3, 1930)

Peanuts, in which Sparky screws with my suspension of disbelief. (August 3-4, 1970)

Sally Forth

Funky Crankshaft

Cranky Funkshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (September 17-18, 1930)

Ladies and gentlemen, mini golf has landed.

Wikipedia posted:

The first standardized minigolf courses to enter commercial mass-production were the Thistle Dhu ("This'll Do") course 1916 in Pinehurst, North Carolina, and the 1927 Tom Thumb patent of Garnet Carter from Lookout Mountain, Tennessee. Thomas McCulloch Fairbairn, a golf fanatic, revolutionized the game in 1922 with his formulation of a suitable artificial green—a mixture of cottonseed hulls, sand, oil, and dye. With this discovery, miniature golf became accessible everywhere; by the late 1920s there were over 150 rooftop courses in New York City alone, and tens of thousands across the United States. This American minigolf boom of early 20th century came to an end during the economic depression in the late 1930s. Nearly all minigolf courses in the United States were closed and demolished before the end of the 1930s.

Which is my way of saying it'll probably be inescapable in the short term.

Thimble Theater (February 18-19, 1931)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is together in all types of weather.

Working Daze is ripped from the headlines.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix kicks off a new cinematic universe.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kennel posted:

That's not MJ!

The drat Chameleon's back!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (February 18-19, 1931)

I looked back so I know this has been going on for a couple weeks now, but this is the first I've noticed Popeye now has top billing here.

Edit: Also I'm enjoying Olive just cold-bloodedly shooting everyone and piling them in the basement.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Good Listener posted:

There's also just the "whew good thing our characters are good and blameless in all scenarios even if there's no reason they should be like however the hosed up meat eating society members work". Oh the mom runs some kind of carnivore company too but don't worry, they're not evil somehow.
Don't forget the storyline where a group of rabbits decided to fight back against getting routinely murdered and eaten.

They were the villains of the story.

EDIT: It was a dramatic story, too, not a gag one.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hm, I wonder if Public Domain is a veneer over a prior yellow peril era villain.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Thanks for the kind replies, all. It sounds like I was mistaken about the lack of interest in what I was posting. I think this is where I left off:

King Aroo (March 7, 1952)

Nancy (April 25, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (December 23, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (January 21, 1924)

Lil' Abner (September 20, 1937)

Barney Google (January 22, 1923)

Alley Oop (April 23, 1934)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

treasureplane posted:

Thanks for the kind replies, all. It sounds like I was mistaken about the lack of interest in what I was posting. I think this is where I left off:

Nancy (April 25, 1944)

Aww yeah, there's the good poo poo.

If that was a Gilchrist Nancy strip she'd have a cloying smile on her face the entire time and the implication would be that she's just a darling sweet angel child doing something silly.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I just lurk here 99% of the time but thanks for starting to post again! King Aroo is one of my favorites :)

Also yeah that Nancy's great, I love the first panel, she's just like "what is this bullshit??"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

smug n stuff posted:

Also yeah that Nancy's great, I love the first panel, she's just like "what is this bullshit??"

I don't know anything about Bushmiller but I do know Gilchrist ain't poo poo compared to him.

Recognizable human emotions. Why not give it a try Guy?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD
God, respecting people's privacy is such a pain. :rolleyes:

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life
Sure, you've only known each other 3+ years, wouldn't want to rush into anything.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

de-lurking to show my appreciation for Actually Good Nancy

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tiggum posted:

Sure, you've only known each other 3+ years, wouldn't want to rush into anything.
Gwen was drawn better back then. Skip was slightly different, but still awful.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (October 13, 1995)

Garfield Classic (October 13, 1985)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

treasureplane posted:

:glomp:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (April 25, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (December 23, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (January 21, 1924)

Lil' Abner (September 20, 1937)

Barney Google (January 22, 1923)

Alley Oop (April 23, 1934)

Ah, thank you for posting some actual good comics.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Please stop posting good comics, this isn't Something Awesome.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

Zereth posted:

Don't forget the storyline where a group of rabbits decided to fight back against getting routinely murdered and eaten.

They were the villains of the story.

EDIT: It was a dramatic story, too, not a gag one.
RABBIT HUSBAND: Our friends the squirrels are coming over for dinner tonight!

WOLF WIFE: No they're not! I murdered them and ate their bodies!

CUE LAUGH TRACK

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holbrook is just as depressing in person as well, especially with his daughter dressed as Dethany* when she's around.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

* From "On the Fasttrack!"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Manuel Calavera posted:

Holbrook is just as depressing in person as well, especially with his daughter dressed as Dethany* when she's around.

* From "On the Fasttrack!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

???????

Oh

• Locked thread