Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just finished chapter 26 and I'll leave it there for tonight but if Atom is really fully dead I will literally cry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tangents posted:

It was pretty funny rereading 20th Century Boys knowing about his love for cliffhangers. There's a million times where a scene ends on a character reacting in horror to something we can't see, it gets a little goofy.

Yeah, 20th Century Boys is a good example of something that, while still really good, feels a lot better than it actually is before you understand some of the story-telling gimmicks it uses.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

same with billy bat except every chapter ending with the friggen billy bat appearing somewhere unexpected is actually incredibly good

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

20th Century Boys and Monster both were really good at evoking a certain feeling throughout much of the story that not many manga can pull off. I do agree they both would be better if they were about 1/3 shorter though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Both 20thCB and Monster are probably the most "page turner" I've ever seen a manga get, in that it was obscenely easy to start reading it only to look up and see it's been 12 hours since you started.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Didn't 20th Century Boys get adapted into a series of movies? How faithful were they?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Reading Pluto right now, it's really good and then KR show up

"They're kinda like the old KKK-" yeah in that they literally wear the hoods come on urasawa that's in poor loving taste

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am glad i put up that spoiler tag a few posts back then! It's a really amazing read so far, let me know when you read chapter 26!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just did

that seems like it kinda has to be a fakeout

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rodyle posted:

I just did

that seems like it kinda has to be a fakeout

I really hope so too! They really lean into it in the next chapter though so we'll see. I can't imagine Astro Boy would be dead dead but I'm still very unhappy about him being beaten :saddowns:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The only real memories I have of Astro Boy are a vague recollection of the early 00's series, which I didn't like, and seeing the dubs of it and GIGANTOR on at random, godforsaken hours of the morning so that particular attachment isn't there. That said I simply don't see that being a Thing That Is Stuck To in an official AB adaptation.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That's pretty much both my experience of Astro Boy and Gigantor too, I remember only ever getting to see Gigantor in the hospital waiting room. What i am aware of though is how big a deal Astro Boy is culturally and like you said this is an adaption of the original work. I really like my pure sweet Atom though so I hate this loving tornado who hurt him. I'm super invested right now and I feel there're so many questions still to be answered but not that the manga is slow to divulge information or plot points either!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There is something like, inherently funny about the "realistic" renderings of Astro Boy characters.

e: like Tenma looks like loving Gendo with a bad haircut

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 1, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kinda fitting as the first bad anime dad.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

His version of Atom is insanely good though

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

They're all really good, it's just funny knowing what some of them actually look like.

Like they've yet to properly show Pluto's Pluto 49 chapters in but

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Just popping in to say Gesicht is frickin' righteous

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rodyle posted:

They're all really good, it's just funny knowing what some of them actually look like.

Like they've yet to properly show Pluto's Pluto 49 chapters in but

You are way ahead of me now but yeah i totally agree lmao, it slays me thinking about this dude being the cause of so much pain and terror

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

he scary

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

it's over

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mraagvpeine posted:

Didn't 20th Century Boys get adapted into a series of movies? How faithful were they?
I remember enjoying the first movie, especially the ending tag, but the second movie was disappointing enough that I never bothered with the third.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

DoubleDonut posted:

Hey, guess what updated again after six months

That's right. Hakoiri Drops.

!tell Donut Even more Hakoiri Drops!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh, another Pluto note:
It is an insane testament to Urasawa that I held out hope for Geist and Epsilon even though there was no loving way they weren't going down

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

His version of Atom is insanely good though

One of my favourite pages in manga. I wish Urasawa would do more <10 volume series.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gesicht meeting Atom was a really great chapter and I am so happy that this manga go picked up for an anime in an era where animation is amazing. I'm just on the chapter where Epsilon shows up to warn Dr. Hoffman! Really taking my time reading this because I can tell it's going to stay with me a long time.

e: Is Epsilon a boy or girl? I thought Gesicht referred to her as a girl when Haas asked him if Epsilon would be sad her creator died Gesicht responds "I suppose she will". The rest of the time they say him though I think?

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 3, 2017

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pluto > Monster > 20 CB

I still have to read Billy Bat. Seems a crazy series with Urasawa being a parody of himself.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is Monster a better read or a better watch because the anime looks pretty good.

If Tenma did make Pluto and he thinks Astro Boy is a failure he needs his rear end kicked.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I personally prefer the manga because I think Urasawa does some interesting things with panel layouts, especially during reveals or twists, but they are otherwise basically equal. It's just that because they are so equal if you read or watch one there's not much point in going through the other.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Gesicht meeting Atom was a really great chapter and I am so happy that this manga go picked up for an anime in an era where animation is amazing. I'm just on the chapter where Epsilon shows up to warn Dr. Hoffman! Really taking my time reading this because I can tell it's going to stay with me a long time.

e: Is Epsilon a boy or girl? I thought Gesicht referred to her as a girl when Haas asked him if Epsilon would be sad her creator died Gesicht responds "I suppose she will". The rest of the time they say him though I think?
I believe in AB Epsilon is a girl however they appear to be male in Pluto.

EmmyOk posted:

If Tenma did make Pluto and he thinks Astro Boy is a failure he needs his rear end kicked.
Atom failed the purpose of his creation, but that was simply because that purpose was impossible.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EmmyOk posted:

Both are solid IMO. I don't watch many animes and I enjoyed the one for Monster.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rodyle posted:

I believe in AB Epsilon is a girl however they appear to be male in Pluto.

Atom failed the purpose of his creation, but that was simply because that purpose was impossible.

He succeded in being the world's best boy and that is all that mattered. I really hope he comes back!

I'm pausing at chapter 32 for day and I'm very surprisedGesicht seems to have killed Haas' brother out of hatred, I was sure it was going to be under shadowy orders. I guess that could still be the case though. I'm so curious about Brau-1589 in general too.

e: thanks for the replies on the anime of Monster!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love Monster's ending song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruQsv709MA0

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a bummer I could never enjoy pluto. Like I liked parts of it but overall it just never really did much for me, though i never really experienced astro boy in the past. 20th century boys was good for a bit and then there was a distinct part where it definitely had a "yes, yes, get on with it" feel, and monster is easily my favorite of his works though that again has issues like the killer guy just being basically omnipotent at times. I can appreciate the chops of the author but he's definitely got issues with pacing and knowing when to end things at times.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In my experience Urasawa is often the first non-"stereotypically anime" anime/manga people read, and they end up thinking it's the most amazing thing ever as a result. He's still definitely really good, but I think people sometimes ignore his faults because they're comparing him with stuff that is much worse.

This is probably less a case now than it was back when I first read his stuff, though. I think I initially read 20th Century Boys in college back before there was much of a scanlation scene and it was hard to find (or learn about) all but the most popular manga (which usually were popular shounen/shoujo things).

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Does anyone else in here read All-Rounder Meguru? I'm no superfan of MMA that knows exactly what moves they're talking about all the time, but I am really really interested in this sports manga that isn't magical flame punches.

It sucks that translations got dropped and now a pretty slow group is the only one doing it. I found it was licensed and they started pushing English volumes out this year, but they're only on volume 4. It's either wait a year and a half before they're completely done with official translations to buy, or wait 5 years for the fan translations to finish based on their average speed.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well that's a difference of 3 1/2 years so it seems like the choice is obvious.

Did Soil ever finish the 3rd... case? Arc? I liked the series a lot but stuff like that doesn't seem to click for me unless I can read at least one complete arc at a time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

In my experience Urasawa is often the first non-"stereotypically anime" anime/manga people read, and they end up thinking it's the most amazing thing ever as a result. He's still definitely really good, but I think people sometimes ignore his faults because they're comparing him with stuff that is much worse.

This is probably less a case now than it was back when I first read his stuff, though. I think I initially read 20th Century Boys in college back before there was much of a scanlation scene and it was hard to find (or learn about) all but the most popular manga (which usually were popular shounen/shoujo things).

I don't read much manga tbh and what I do read is usually some manner of Shonen the exceptions being JoJo and recently Berserk. I'm planning to try "I am a Hero" next because I've been watching that show where Urasawa goes around interviewing other mangaka on how they draw and that dude's art was amazing.

e: I used to read Liar Game when it was still coming out but the release schedule was too random, and I read a lot of Vagabond and that ruled.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Jojo is shounen until SBR

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Rodyle posted:

Jojo is shounen until SBR Stone Ocean

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh did it leave WSJ in Stone Ocean?
e: unless you think SO starring a lady means it's not shounen I guess