Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
HotS usually falls down in polish compared to other blizz games but d va sarcastically repeating "talent? that seems generous" is hilarious. Really cool hero overall, had a lot of fun getting her to 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
My favorite little thing is all the characters automatically thanking you for healing.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Sindai posted:

My favorite little thing is all the characters automatically thanking you for healing.

Except Alarak. What a jerk.

YolkaEd
Dec 26, 2013

Sindai posted:

The exception is Alarak. And I wouldn't have it any other way; he's just so condescending about it. "Is this the best healing you can do?" Bonus points if it comes after a clutch Ancestral.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

YolkaEd posted:

The exception is Alarak. And I wouldn't have it any other way; he's just so condescending about it. "Is this the best healing you can do?" Bonus points if it comes after a clutch Ancestral.

Alarak embodies every pubbie.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'm so loving excited about the L800 ETC skin because it uses his normal soundset. The Country skin looks so good but the soundset resembles a guitar in a washing machine.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
My favorite line is Brightwing's "You sure are good at murder"

Still waiting for Alarak announcer.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
It's not murder if they're Zerg or a demon. Also, the alliance started it.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

lucifirius posted:

It's not murder if they're Zerg or a demon. Also, the alliance started it.

Not only did the Horde start it, they started it by drinking demon blood. :science:

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
When demons tell you to drink from Mannoroth, you don't really have a choice. Blame Medivh for opening the portal.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

lucifirius posted:

When demons tell you to drink from Mannoroth, you don't really have a choice. Blame Medivh for opening the portal.

Medivh, the human! QED

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

lucifirius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLzhlsEFcVQ

(God that was such a good cinematic, shame about WoD afterwards.)

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I should probably catch up on my lore

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mind over Matter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLzhlsEFcVQ

(God that was such a good cinematic, shame about WoD afterwards.)

I love the fact that Garrosh has a kill line for Gul'dan: "Times change... But you still die."

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

I love the fact that Garrosh has a kill line for Gul'dan: "Times change... But you still die."

I actually hate that line. Gul'Dan doesn't say anything about time. He says destiny. Garry just sounds like Peter Griffin quoting Lethal Weapon out of context.

"This was not... our destiny!"

"It's just been revoked!"

:smug:

I get it, it's because WoD was all about time travel, but it's still really reaching.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Your posts are weird. Is it fanfiction? We went from fighting Garrosh in Pandaria to fighting the Legion on the Broken Isles. Garrosh just disappeared without any story reason. There was also this weird 2 or 3 year gap between Mists of Pandaria and Legion where Blizzard didn't release an expansion it was really weird

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Macaluso posted:

Your posts are weird. Is it fanfiction? We went from fighting Garrosh in Pandaria to fighting the Legion on the Broken Isles. Garrosh just disappeared without any story reason. There was also this weird 2 or 3 year gap between Mists of Pandaria and Legion where Blizzard didn't release an expansion it was really weird

Garrosh is in prison, duh. Thrall is too weak to execute him so he keeps him trapped in a metal box in the Maelstrom.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Gazza is dead iirc from finishing up WoD Nagrand.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Power Bottom posted:

My only exposure to Cairne is from WCIII, where he was Chill Axe Grandpa. I take it he stopped being cool in WoW?

Around the start of Cataclysm, after Thrall had left but before Deathwing woke up, a group of orcs working for the Twilight's Hammer cult pulled a false flag operation and ambushed a meeting between some Tauren and Night Elf druids in Ashenvale and slaughtered everyone there except for Hamuul Runetotem, who reported back to Cairne what went down. Carine immediately assumed that Garrosh had ordered the attack (Garrosh had opposed the meeting, but still allowed it to take place) and went to confront him. Garrosh, for once trying to be the reasonable and diplomatic one, pointed out that ambushing the meeting and covering it up wasn't his style; if he was responsible for it, he'd own up to it immediately. Cairne, being the chill and rational axe grandpa that he was, punched Garrosh across his freshly tattooed jaw and challenged him to an honor duel for the position of Warchief. Garrosh responded that he'd only accept on the grounds that the duel be to the death, like it was done in the old days, and not the wimpy "we stop when one can no longer continue" version Thrall had instated. Garrosh did this assuming Cairne would back down, but Cairne was like, "Well drat, son, I just wanted to get you out of power, but if you want me to kill your rear end, too, I'm down for that."

To cut a long story short ("Too late." :v: ), on the day of the duel, Magatha Grimtotem approached Garrosh and offered to do the ceremonial blessing for his weapon for the duel. Garrosh, who didn't know that such a blessing was supposed to be given by someone of his own race, agreed, and Magatha poisoned his weapon without his knowledge. Eventually, Garrosh realized that she'd basically used him to covertly assassinate Cairne and was rightfully pissed about it. So later on, when she sent him a request for aid in bringing Thunder Bluff under her control, his reply was as follows:

Garrosh Hellscream posted:

Unto Elder Crone Magatha of the Grimtotem,

Acting Warchief of the Horde, Garrosh Hellscream,

Sends his most sincere wishes for a slow and painful death.

It has come to my attention that you have deprived me of a rightful kill. Cairne Bloodhoof was a hero to the Horde and an honorable member of a usually honorable race. It is with disgust and anger that I discover you have caused me to bring about his death through accidental treachery.

Such tactics may work well for your renegade, honorless tribe and Alliance scum, but I despise them. It was my wish to fight Cairne fairly, and win or lose by my own skill or lack of it. Now I shall never know, and the cry of traitor will dog my steps until such time as I can sport your head on a pike and point to you as the real traitor.

So...no. I will not be sending any truehearted orcs to fight alongside your treacherous, belly-crawling tribe. Your victory or your defeat is in the hands of your Earth Mother now. Either way, I look forward to hearing of your demise.

You are on your own, Magatha, as friendless and disliked as you have ever been. Perhaps more. Enjoy your loneliness.

And then the WoW writers got tired of people bitching about how Garrosh sucked and decided to turn him into Orc Hitler.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

W.T. Fits posted:

And then the WoW writers got tired of people bitching about how Garrosh sucked and decided to turn him into Orc Hitler.

But King Anime-hair Von Rockjaw meanwhile became a smart well-balanced dude, who by Pandaland was lecturing Tyrande about controlling her anger, true strategy and not falling into traps. They really should have kept him a pompous bag of roid rage, to contrast how cool his son was in comparison.

Blizzard writing is poo poo.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

One of Garrosh's voice lines:

quote:

"I'm organizing a little surprise party for Jaina! It's gonna be a blast..."

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Coolness Averted posted:

But King Anime-hair Von Rockjaw meanwhile became a smart well-balanced dude, who by Pandaland was lecturing Tyrande about controlling her anger, true strategy and not falling into traps. They really should have kept him a pompous bag of roid rage, to contrast how cool his son was in comparison.

Blizzard writing is poo poo.

Tyrande is as much of a ragelord as an Orc, so totally appropriate, actually.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Now that Metzen's completely out of the way they've been doing okay so far in Legion, though they do have a ways to go. Illidan's whole thing in this expansion is iffy, but he's a very popular character that people wanted to see back so I can understand bringing him back. The whole "Oh, hey, you (the player characters) have an immortal spirit like I do, mine and my body were just imprisoned in a crystal," is a pretty decent way of retconning his death. The "Chosen Child" bit should have been nixed though.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I've been meaning to get into HotS so I've played a couple of matches vs AI and some unranked vs humans and tried out different heroes to get a feel for the different roles. I've also checked out the Reddit post linked to on the first page to understand the basics. Now, i like playing support heroes and I've collected enough to buy at least one hero so any recommendations on what's a good support to start out with?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Uther, Malfurion. Rehgar. All three of them are quite versatile and effective, regardless of team compositions.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 2, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Star posted:

I've been meaning to get into HotS so I've played a couple of matches vs AI and some unranked vs humans and tried out different heroes to get a feel for the different roles. I've also checked out the Reddit post linked to on the first page to understand the basics. Now, i like playing support heroes and I've collected enough to buy at least one hero so any recommendations on what's a good support to start out with?
The way to get started at this game is to get heroes in the weekly free rotation to level 5 in QM (you get 500 gold at level 5 and a chest each time you level a hero), starting with the legendaries because they rotate in less frequently (so for now that's Alarak, Dehaka actually rotates in every 3 weeks but whatever). You'll be surprised who you like or how they play, and all of the supports are fairly different. Rehgar's probably the most exciting for me because there's more risk/reward in butt-biting than in smiting but I also like lili for some reason.

They're all viable enough so don't let that guide your decision. You'd be better off leveling a lot of heroes for now - when you do eventually want to buy one buy the cheap ones with gold and the legendaries with gems when they're on sale. Rehgar Uther and Malfurion are all cheap so you could own them all after a few weeks no problem.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 2, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Also Li Li. She's not the best in the current burst meta, but she's nearly unkillable, which is nice for a new player. Also she's only 2k gold, just like Malf.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Her blind is ridiculous as well against some heroes

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Star posted:

Characters you played during their free week. It'll give you an idea of characters that fit your style. Since in hots support characters can play very differently and fill different roles. Luckily there are some good cheap characters, like Lili and Malf. Heck if the 'starter pack' that's raynor, muradin, and malf for 5 bucks that comes with a stimpack is still a thing I'd buy that. It's a steal and all of those characters are solid workhorses.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Other note - you can see stealth units like nova/valeera/zeratul the same way you can spot cloaked units in sc, they blur the environment around them.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

No Wave posted:

Other note - you can see stealth units like nova/valeera/zeratul the same way you can spot cloaked units in sc, they blur the environment around them.

Note: if you are playing versus AI and the CPU team has a Valeera she tends to bug out and will remain in stealth without attacking. Since Valeera has a noise when she enters stealth (you will recognize it if you play WoW or Hearthstone), it's a good way to learn how to spot 'invisible' heroes.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
If you go to Options then click Challenges and complete them all, you actually get a free hero box.I didn't even know about this until like 3 weeks ago. It will be one of the low-cost heroes, but there is nothing wrong with them. Some low-cost heroes are top-tier.

If you feel like supporting the game at all, $5 for the Welcome Bundle is well worth it. I think it comes with a free random hero, 1000 gems and a 7-day Stim pack. Heroes on sale cost at most 375 gems. If you play a lot, buy a 30-day stim pack with the gems.

Also every 25 Player levels you get 150 free gems. And you also get another 500 gold for each hero you get to level 10 (it's every 5 Hero levels). Hero Level 10 takes about 25 games to reach, so it is an investment but if you are only playing a few heroes in the beginning anyway, it is a way to get some extra gold.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Do buy bundle and do buy dehaka this week imo. Picking up good on sale legendaries with gems is something you'll always want to do.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Li Li is the best support money can buy. She just needs some new skins.

Random Cool Li Li Fact: You can hide in bushes and channel your ult while the other team wonders why the hell nobody is dying. This is great against teams where 4/5 of them have a way to interrupt your ult.

Fact Two: Blinding Winds doesn't break targeting on most teleports and jumps, etc, so if there's an immune Genji with like 20 life and he's jumping away, hit that E!

Cuatal fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 2, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Alpha Mayo posted:

Hero Level 10 takes about 25 games to reach, so it is an investment but if you are only playing a few heroes in the beginning anyway, it is a way to get some extra gold.

To expand on this, an exp guide:

• For a newbie, the best way to gain exp is to play QM with a pre-made group of 5, at least one of whom you've added as a friend. Larger group = bonus exp, and there's a flat friend bonus.
  • To find goons to play with, /join SAGoons in the blizzard chat and say hi. Someone can link you to the Discord, which will be really good for you to learn from others in real-time. It's at https://www.tinyurl.com/sagoons which should take you to the Discord website, or if you already have it installed you can use that as your invite URL.
  • If you can't handle QM yet, AI is fine. There is no difference in EXP gain for different AI difficulties. Do pre-made group of 5 with at least one friend here too, though it's sometimes harder to find AI groups. If you can't find a group in /join New Player Chat, you can queue solo and ask your allies if they'd like to group for the next one. They might not.
  • EXP you gain per game is based partially on length of game and partially on how many structures you destroy. It's not really a huge difference, so don't stress out about it if your allies rush core without clearing structures, but if you have a coordinated group might as well kill all the keeps.
  • As stated before, get all free week heroes to level 5 before leveling the heroes you own. Next week you won't have those easy levels available, so it's good to get 'em while the gettin's good. Besides, right now you're new and learning every hero and how they generally work will be really good knowledge even if you never play *as* them again.
  • If you want to get gud with a specific hero, look up McIntyre, Grubby, RyomaGG, Nubkeks, KendricSwissh, Srey, or of course pro games (search for HGC hots). Just be aware that these guys are operating with much more coordinated teammates, so if you emulate them as-is, you'll likely die due to lack of team follow-up. Just try to focus on your own mechanics and not dying.
  • That reminds me. Don't die unless you get more than 1 death's worth of value out of it, e.g. a higher-priority enemy death, a key objective, or keeping 2 enemies busy so your team can wipe the other 3.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Other most important advice: from levels 1-10 the most important thing is to have someone soaking in each lane. Early game ganks do very little (seriously check out the exp bar when someone dies in the first 30 seconds, it doesn't move) except in that it denies soaking. If you're soaking 2 lanes and your opponents are soaking 1 in the early game you're going to be way ahead. This is the most important and least intuitive thing in HotS.

Also ganks give more xp when behind in xp than ahead xp.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

No Wave posted:

Other most important advice: from levels 1-10 the most important thing is to have someone soaking in each lane. Early game ganks do very little (seriously check out the exp bar when someone dies in the first 30 seconds, it doesn't move) except in that it denies soaking. If you're soaking 2 lanes and your opponents are soaking 1 in the early game you're going to be way ahead. This is the most important and least intuitive thing in HotS.

Also ganks give more xp when behind in xp than ahead xp.

Ganks while ahead make it harder to soak XP and further secures your lead, though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Nephzinho posted:

Ganks while ahead make it harder to soak XP and further secures your lead, though.

It also will frustrate the player and often make them quit out of the match, thereby replacing their character with a lovely Adept AI! :dance:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The Gazlowe AI backfill on my team last night, when he wasn't feeding, was charging up his laser then cancelling it repeatedly.

However we still won because they had a cho'gall and we had an anubarak with extended cocoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
If you're playing as Sgt. Hammer for some reason, rip your E key straight off your keyboard and you'll instantly be 25% more effective than 95% of Sgt. Hammers.