Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That premise sounds like it could go in two entirely different directions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Alt History is stupid as this thread has already talked about.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Everything with "alt" in the name is dumb reactionary traitor poo poo.
alt right
alt history
alt music

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Peanut President posted:

Everything with "alt" in the name is dumb reactionary traitor poo poo.
alt right
alt history
alt music

alt zines

alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.fetish.latex

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

LGD posted:

alt zines

alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.fetish.latex

Mhmm Mhmm

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/ComplexPop/status/892421975527784448

How would this even realistically happen? This literally sounds like a Mr. Show skit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSkik6EUQUc

Stranger things have been proposed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slattery_Report

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

over $400 million foreign gross, $228 which was just China

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transformers5.htm

Maybe Truman should have had MacArthur drop those nukes.

EFB! drat IT!. I mean I like to think HP got me into furhter fantasy, but seriously can't these dumb asses find anything else to reference? Narnia? loving Wrinkle in Time? Animorphs? Wheel of TIme? T. H. White?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the emoji movie was so desperate for chinabucks the "world" the characters inhabit is literally a WeChat app

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Crowsbeak posted:

I mean I like to think HP got me into furhter fantasy

did you mean...fuehrer fantasy??

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Light Gun Man posted:

did you mean...fuehrer fantasy??

Funny, typing while slightly buzzed. Been a long day.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Bro Dad posted:

the emoji movie was so desperate for chinabucks the "world" the characters inhabit is literally a WeChat app

Read this as chinacucks

I need a break from the internet

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

Watched this clip as it's been reposed a few times. I'm obviously not the audience for this program, but I'm confused as to what they're trying to accomplish here?

Honestly this whole thing just feels like a nation wide fad that's going to crash and burn horribly in the near future. It already kind of has with who's in the White House, but I imagine people as a whole are going to start rejecting this hamfisted stuff in their television programs and via their marketing.

It's not even a "white people" sort of thing. I kinda wonder if people as a whole are going to go "Enough".

The danger involved with stuff like this is that it often portrays a very "sanitized" world where people from diverse backgrounds are always friendly and pleasant to be around (provided you don't do anything to justify their anger), and this leads to situations where liberals suddenly drop their support for minorities the moment they stop behaving in the way they want them to behave. Like, they might get a warm fuzzy feeling at having a friendly interaction with a Muslim person (for example), but that same feeling can quickly be corrupted into something malicious if they try and talk to a Muslim person and he/she blows them off (because weren't they acting appropriately woke and tolerant???). Liberals end up with this ideal mental image of "people from diverse backgrounds living happily side by side", and this can cause them to quickly turn on minorities who don't fit their preconceived notions of how they ought to behave.

It's a thorny issue, though, because you obviously don't want to respond to this sort of thing by just removing all diversity from media (and there's also a tendency to be permissive of characters like this if they're white).

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
New Africa isn't exactly something they pulled out of their rear end, self determination for the black belt was a thing in old CPUSA platforms.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/ComplexPop/status/892421975527784448

How would this even realistically happen? This literally sounds like a Mr. Show skit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSkik6EUQUc

Looks ehh(most Amazon prime stuff) but the title just sucks.call it New Colonia or whatever. Black America is eye rolling bad. But it's apparently made by boondocks creator so some hope.

Just gently caress off wankbags, this poo poo is awful.

Peanut President posted:

Alt History is stupid as this thread has already talked about.
I like alt history :( .

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Is the answer "NO"? I think it's "NO".

Crowsbeak posted:

Maybe Truman should have had MacArthur drop those nukes.

EFB! drat IT!. I mean I like to think HP got me into furhter fantasy, but seriously can't these dumb asses find anything else to reference? Narnia? loving Wrinkle in Time? Animorphs? Wheel of TIme? T. H. White?

Wheel of Time references would still be bad but I'd welcome the chance to poo poo on people referencing a bad fantasy series I've actually read a couple books from.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

super sweet best pal posted:

Is the answer "NO"? I think it's "NO".

Wheel of Time references would still be bad but I'd welcome the chance to poo poo on people referencing a bad fantasy series I've actually read a couple books from.

I like WOT :(

Or else they could reference Ursela Leguin, or C.S. Friedman.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Ytlaya posted:

The danger involved with stuff like this is that it often portrays a very "sanitized" world where people from diverse backgrounds are always friendly and pleasant to be around (provided you don't do anything to justify their anger), and this leads to situations where liberals suddenly drop their support for minorities the moment they stop behaving in the way they want them to behave. Like, they might get a warm fuzzy feeling at having a friendly interaction with a Muslim person (for example), but that same feeling can quickly be corrupted into something malicious if they try and talk to a Muslim person and he/she blows them off (because weren't they acting appropriately woke and tolerant???). Liberals end up with this ideal mental image of "people from diverse backgrounds living happily side by side", and this can cause them to quickly turn on minorities who don't fit their preconceived notions of how they ought to behave.

It's a thorny issue, though, because you obviously don't want to respond to this sort of thing by just removing all diversity from media (and there's also a tendency to be permissive of characters like this if they're white).

Can't help but cringe when you hop in the cab with other white people who fall over themselves to call the driver "sir" and try to pluck his life story of coming to America out of the poor guy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I support the holocaust of Harry Potter fanboys, is that what you were asking?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/harikondabolu/status/890649563052163072

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/kathbarbadoro/status/892600859636318208?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
hmmm not so sure about that name either

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

remember that guy who pulled his cock out at a slutwalk and got screamed at, that was pretty funny lmao

how much are tickets and how are they justifying the price

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

lmao of all the dumb stereotypes on the simpsons apu is like the least harmful

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

This looks pretty good?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

wow

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol tickets for a protest march

wonder how they'll set the gates up

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

If this could contribute- even just a little- to Fox finally pulling the plug on the Simpsons, it will be worth it

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

If this could contribute- even just a little- to Fox finally pulling the plug on the Simpsons, it will be worth it

Yeah that show should have ended with the 90's, with Futurama then picking up that torch.

Whorelord posted:

lmao of all the dumb stereotypes on the simpsons apu is like the least harmful

It's odd because all of the Indians I've met actually -like- Apu. My brother's boss is 2nd generation Indian-America, has a figure of him on his desk, and said he finds him amusing because his father also ran a convenience store for a time. The other anecdote I have is my dad's Indian co-worker calling my dad to "Turn on NBC. They have a show called "OUTSOURCED! and it's hilarious". That very same show btw? Had a lot of people demanding it get cancelled because of Indian stereotypes.

I don't like making that point because it comes from "I HAVE INDIAN FRIENDS" point of view, but it's weird they generally don't care about these sort of things. It reminds me of how Mexican Americans view Speedy Gonzales in some ways. Clearly a mexican stereotype but they don't care, I've seen shirts featuring him worn by Mexican Americans and I've seen him used as a mascot at several mexican/tex-mex restaurants from Ohio to Texas to California to Oklahoma.

I will say that if you're making racist jokes at people's expense or using slurs? You can royally gently caress off. Some of the kindest people I've met have been Hindus. They've been tremendously kind to our family.

FuzzySkinner has issued a correction as of 18:43 on Aug 2, 2017

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Do you remember how much outrage there was against the Simpsons when it first aired? This is nothing.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

super sweet best pal posted:

Do you remember how much outrage there was against the Simpsons when it first aired? This is nothing.

I wasn't allowed to watch it the first several years it aired because my mother worried that Bart was too much of a bad influence.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i wonder how many parents thought the home alone movies would result in their children setting lethal traps for them in their homes

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah that show should have ended with the 90's, with Futurama then picking up that torch.

It's odd because all of the Indians I've met actually -like- Apu. My brother's boss is 2nd generation Indian-America, has a figure of him on his desk, and said he finds him amusing because his father also ran a convenience store for a time. The other anecdote I have is my dad's Indian co-worker calling my dad to "Turn on NBC. They have a show called "OUTSOURCED! and it's hilarious". That very same show btw? Had a lot of people demanding it get cancelled because of Indian stereotypes.

I don't like making that point because it comes from "I HAVE INDIAN FRIENDS" point of view, but it's weird they generally don't care about these sort of things. It reminds me of how Mexican Americans view Speedy Gonzales in some ways. Clearly a mexican stereotype but they don't care, I've seen shirts featuring him worn by Mexican Americans and I've seen him used as a mascot at several mexican/tex-mex restaurants from Ohio to Texas to California to Oklahoma.

I will say that if you're making racist jokes at people's expense or using slurs? You can royally gently caress off. Some of the kindest people I've met have been Hindus. They've been tremendously kind to our family.

Speedy is awesome, he always wins

slowpoke rodriguez, maybe not the best stereotype, but still funny imo

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I wasn't allowed to watch it the first several years it aired because my mother worried that Bart was too much of a bad influence.

isis certainly took some ideas

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

got any sevens posted:

Speedy is awesome, he always wins

slowpoke rodriguez, maybe not the best stereotype, but still funny imo

slowpoke rodriguez teaches us important lessons about constitutional rights

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Woke!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unaDmxfBEx0

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Proof that it doesn't happen when you have a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

isis certainly took some ideas

lol