Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Imagine if Obama called the White House "a dump"

The Right flew off the handle when Michelle Obama correctly commented in a speech that the White House was built by slaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Kale posted:

I still firmly believe that the /pol/ and R/The_Donald thing is just a bunch of bandwagon teenagers who may not even all be of majority to vote anyway blowing off steam about the whole PC thing they seem upset about from having to go to school or University and listen to all the time and thinking their part of some counterculture movement that's pushing back against it with Donald Trump as their champion. They don't seem to understand the policy of it or how it ACTUALLY affect them, they just see it as "libtards" they hate from school getting "BTFO" and I never attributed the movement much steam. Without anything to actually rally around anymore and with teenagers being fickle in their interests they'd move onto something else stupid to shitpost about within a year or two regardless.

There's nothing to shitpost right now, nobody is getting "BTFO" besides Trump himself at this rate. The post election boom in his anti-PC rhetoric (which is what these teens latched onto, not the policy itself they can't even begin to comprehend, the fact it was so anti-PC and establishment which any idiot could be aware of) seemingly being validated is long over now that he's getting stymied at seemingly ever turn and his actual popularity polling among the real population that matters is abysmal.

It's possible that they might have all just collectively looked up from their shitposting finally to see that Trump just got his rear end handed to him all last week and arguably all last month and that he isn't talking about getting those "SJW's" and immigrants out of the country so much anymore. What's all this talk about Healthcare, a Russian investigation that keeps expanding, tax reform and a transgender ban that might have gotten them going again because it pisses off the "SJW's" but got ignored by the Joint Chiefs of Staff because twitter isn't part of the real chain of command? They don't get it anymore and that lovely thing called reality eventually has to sink in a bit when there's clearly no "winning"....like in the slightest.

That said I think the hardcore MAGA people are for real. That 25-35% of the adult GOP base people talked about and that's the scary thing, not the dumbass teens on 4chan and reddit, the Breitbarters and Fox News consuming types.

/pol/ is no longer exclusively the realm of angsty teenagers, its social cache is starting to grow far beyond that.

Montasque posted:

Let me introduce you to... /pol/ moms...

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Koalas March posted:

This is a good post. I agree.

Anyway, I apologize to everyone if I am communicating my thoughts/ideas/opinions inefficiently. I just started a new medication and it's making me quite scatterbrained and therefore ineloquent! I am trying my best. :shobon:

Don't worry about it, you're perfectly coherent.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gotta give props for trump completely destroying any ability for the gop to pretend it isn't a white nationalist party.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“Spaced God”" post="“474946765”"]
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/892538640789901312
[/quote]

Trump has to do this every so often because now it gives Fox something to talk about that’s not OMGWTFTRUMP! It also plays well to people who ironically distrust people with college educations.

Ague Proof posted:

Seen Bush Sr lately?

Bush Sr is smart and doesn’t go out and build houses and poo poo in the summer when you’re 90+ years old and only have one finger left on your monkey’s paw.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Sounds more like a schmoozy joke than a genuine expression of distaste for the white house.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Won't someone think of the white people??

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/pptsapper/status/892012006030671874

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Mantis42 posted:

Jesus this discussion is making me remember that Trump gets to eulogize a lot of American figures in the next 4 years.

I wonder if he's going to allude to his friend's fuckboat and talk about what a lovely eulogy Hillary or Obama would have given during Carter's funeral.

Later Carter will contact him through a medium to let him know what a good eulogy it was.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

ahh another beautiful morning. better make some coffee and breakfast before work

*turns on coffee maker, firmware updates block usage for ten minutes*

*turns on toaster, display reads "u have been punked by -=cYbEr_g03Th_69=-"*

That would NOT happen, come on. The bread would have dickbutt toasted onto it.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Jesus this discussion is making me remember that Trump gets to eulogize a lot of American figures in the next 4 years.

"I'll never forget the time, it was the last time but also the best, just the best time that I meant Bush Sr. He said to me 'mr.trump i've never seen inauguration crowds as huge as yours were, truly recordbreaking'"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Soon they'll have a commission to harass women for not dating white boys.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Prester Jane posted:

/pol/ is no longer exclusively the realm of angsty teenagers, its social cache is starting to grow far beyond that.

I hate reddit and never visit /pol/. Are the views there as abhorrent as the donald? What's the ideological slant?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Giggy posted:

I hate reddit and never visit /pol/. Are the views there as abhorrent as the donald? What's the ideological slant?

/pol/ compares unfavorably to Stormfront.

EDIT: Like, seriously, the biggest difference between 4chan and Stormfront is that on 4chan they let you say 'friend of the family'.
/pol/ is absolutely the worst of the 'mainstream' Trumpstaffel bastions. Some of it, yes, is edgy teenagers being edgy teenagers, but a lot of it isn't. And as the last few years and this election, sociology, and TT have shown us - you can only pretend to be a Nazi for so long before you actually start to be a Nazi.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Gov. Deval Patrick doesn't seem to bad.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

FYI Jimmy Carter was a trash president that was to the right of Bill Clinton on pretty much every issue save foreign policy. Let him build houses.

Is this guy trolling or is he really this stupid?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
How charismatic is Duval? I know that's bizarre but I think Democrats need someone who's going to be charismatic and really get out the vote.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is this guy trolling or is he really this stupid?

"Yes."

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

EDIT: Like, seriously, the biggest difference between 4chan and Stormfront is that on 4chan they let you say 'friend of the family'.
/pol/ is absolutely the worst of the 'mainstream' Trumpstaffel bastions. Some of it, yes, is edgy teenagers being edgy teenagers, but a lot of it isn't. And as the last few years and this election, sociology, and TT have shown us - you can only pretend to be a Nazi for so long before you actually start to be a Nazi.

That's disappointing but not a surprise. To be fair, wasn't D&D once a conservative bastion but shifted? Maybe, one day, it could happen there (I doubt it).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
“This is the biggest crowd. The biggest state funeral. Speaking of state funerals, I had sex with Kennedy once. The MTV one. High quality.”

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Giggy posted:

That's disappointing but not a surprise. To be fair, wasn't D&D once a conservative bastion but shifted? Maybe, one day, it could happen there (I doubt it).

What's really fun/soul-crushing is that I understand 8chan was created/populated by pedophiles and racists so odious not even 4chan could tolerate them. And that masterchan is to 8chan what 8chan is to 4chan. And, of course, the fact that 4chan was basically a cancerous outgrowth of this site.

It's dens of creepy pedos and monstrous racists all the way down.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The sad part is /pol/ is a lot like /b/; they pretended to be the bottom of the barrel garbage bags of human beings as a joke to get laughs at pretending to be so miserable and stupid.

Then the REAL nazis showed up, nodded at their posts, and the people joking think they've found friends who ironically post stupid loving memes and the Nazis think they're surrounded by like minded individuals.

It's like the blind leading the blind, only instead of blind it's loving idiots.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Giggy posted:

I don't think D&D has ever really been a conservative bastion, but from what old-timers say, this place had more of a typical internet libertarian bent until the McCain toxx thread in 2008 wiped them all out and cleared the way for all the leftists.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

skylined! posted:

he's earned every loving minute

:agreed:
Jimmy Carter is a champion of kindness. And carpentry.

e- wow i just got caught up and some turd is Cartertrolling? :rolleyes: shut up, stupid.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AbsolutelySane posted:

I don't think you can equate the North Korean army with the Iraqi Army circa ~2000, though. They are a much more professional and disciplined force than the Iraqis, many of whom took off when the shooting started. Iraq was/is a very different place with a lot more tribal division than the DPRK. They'll fight a lot harder if invaded.

True, but you're also not taking into account the South Korean military, which is far more powerful than the North's.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Trump's current numbers are currently his worst today at 538 and are probably trending down. As an aggregate his approval ratings are at his lowest at 37.8% which is the first time he's broken 38% and his disapproval ratings are at 56.7% with 5.5% left over.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

What's really fun/soul-crushing is that I understand 8chan was created/populated by pedophiles and racists so odious not even 4chan could tolerate them. And that masterchan is to 8chan what 8chan is to 4chan. And, of course, the fact that 4chan was basically a cancerous outgrowth of this site.

So what does that make us? I'm sure there's more than a little overlap between what remains of SA and 4chan.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Giggy posted:

The SA forums has never been perfect w/r/t race, but we've always had less out and proud neonazis. Although there are a few subs were some people slip by with "ironic" racism, but that was a lot bigger problem in the past. We have a bigger problem with dogwhistles and stereotypes atm imo.

That said, if you want to see how racist this forum could be check out the Trayvon Martin or Mike Brown threads in the archives.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Save the date, I believe August 9th is the deadline for Trump to sign the sanctions bill before it is considered a veto.

Note: Congress is on vacation but is still technically in session probably because they don't trust him to not fire Sessions.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Pakled posted:

I don't think D&D has ever really been a conservative bastion, but from what old-timers say, this place had more of a typical internet libertarian bent until the McCain toxx thread in 2008 wiped them all out and cleared the way for all the leftists.

It was libertarians everywhere, everyone was self made and not through college yet.

And then we got the purges and the bills. :20bux::20bux::20bux:

There Bias Two posted:

So what does that make us? I'm sure there's more than a little overlap between what remains of SA and 4chan.

Being that SA banned the worst of 4chan, the ability for such a change to occur over there would require a mod on 4chan to fight against freedom to be a dumbshit for probably a year or more.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 2, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Jimmy Carter purposefully went into a nuclear reactor that was melting down, then later in life because that wasn't enough he became the most powerful man in the world, then he said gently caress all that and built houses for the poor, then in his 90s he beat brain cancer.

Don't talk bad about Jimmy Carter when the best thing you've probably done in your life is remembering to wipe your rear end 50% of the time when you take a poo poo.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Koalas March posted:

The SA forums has never been perfect w/r/t race, but we've always had less out and proud neonazis. Although there are a few subs were some people slip by with "ironic" racism, but that was a lot bigger problem in the past. We have a bigger problem with dogwhistles and stereotypes atm imo.

That said, if you want to see how racist this forum could be check out the Trayvon Martin or Mike Brown threads in the archives.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Informative and depressing.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Classtoise posted:

The sad part is /pol/ is a lot like /b/; they pretended to be the bottom of the barrel garbage bags of human beings as a joke to get laughs at pretending to be so miserable and stupid.

Then the REAL nazis showed up, nodded at their posts, and the people joking think they've found friends who ironically post stupid loving memes and the Nazis think they're surrounded by like minded individuals.

It's like the blind leading the blind, only instead of blind it's loving idiots.

I don't know about /b/, but I think /pol/ is a lot more sincere than most of us realize/would hope. There's a few reasons for this. And I'm getting over a nasty summer cold of some sort, so apologies for not being as coherent as I might otherwise be but basically I feel like it boils down to this:
-For starters, just look at /b/ in the years before Gamergate and poo poo. There was 'ironic' racism and poo poo, but the tone and flavor of it really was quite different than what you see on /pol/. There is obviously plenty wrong with 'ironic' racism and I'm by no means trying to excuse or justify it, but I really don't think you can argue there isn't a clear difference between the /b/ of yesteryear and the /pol/ of today. I can't speak of modern /b/ since I avoid that place like the plague.
-/pol/ has infected most of the site besides, to an extent, /tg/ which I will confess I would pop into now and then as recently as a few years back. My reasoning is this: you don't poo poo(post) where you eat. /tv/ is literally unusable for its ostensible purpose because of /pol/ nonsense. You will not believe how loving livid /co/ is over the most recent Rick and Morty having been written by a ~female~ (and keep in mind that 4chan users mock /co/ as being ~tumblr~). Like typically the troll thing to do is go out and raid *other* boards/sites and make them unusable, not to trash their own. Which, you know, is what /b/ would do back in the day; raid other sites.
-The fact it's spilling out into the real world. Death threats and to an extent doxing people may be lazy internet nonsense that you can still say falls under trolling since it doesn't require leaving the computer/house, but showing up to protests/klan rallies and poo poo like they do these does is a bit different.

4chan has always been, by and large, the toilet of the internet and has always been a place full of racist, sexist, idiots but it's not always been as dangerous or full on Nazi as it is these days.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Jimmy Carter purposefully went into a nuclear reactor that was melting down, then later in life because that wasn't enough he became the most powerful man in the world, then he said gently caress all that and built houses for the poor, then in his 90s he beat brain cancer.

Don't talk bad about Jimmy Carter when the best thing you've probably done in your life is remembering to wipe your rear end 50% of the time when you take a poo poo.

It's not possible to call somebody a good person without having a guy barge in, push his glasses up his nose, and say "WELL AKSHULLLY...."

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

It's not possible to call somebody a good person without having a guy barge in, push his glasses up his nose, and say "WELL AKSHULLLY...."

And then we stuff them into a locker where they belong. Don't talk poo poo about Jimmy Carter.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

How charismatic is Duval? I know that's bizarre but I think Democrats need someone who's going to be charismatic and really get out the vote.

Gov. Deval Patrick's Speech at 2012 Democratic National Convention
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_3SL0LYySw

He's no Brad Pitt, but he's a charismatic dude. Sounds like a nerd.

e-
DEVAL :devil:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
http://i.imgur.com/dQuhtES.gifv

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

vaginite posted:

We would automatically win a war with NK. The problem with the Vietnam war is that we never actually attacked the government or its territory in North Vietnam. We tried to win a body count war in the south, which we inevitably soured on. If we went in and destroyed the government and infrastructure that enabled the VC we would have won it easily. We refrained from doing that out of fear of provoking the USSR.

:crossarms:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Linebacker
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Linebacker_II
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Rolling_Thunder

Of course I can't really be smug about this because I also went looking for information on CERTAIN CORNET, the never adopted plan for a ground invasion of North Vietnam. It appears to have been entirely a product of Tom Clancy's imagination that I internalized as reality when I was a teenager.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I suspect I know the answer, but does Deval Patrick have any progressive positions or is he bog standard Democrat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I suspect I know the answer, but does Deval Patrick have any progressive positions or is he bog standard Democrat?

Pretty bog standard. I should probably know more being a MA resident and all but I wasn't paying much attention at the time.

• Locked thread