Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Youth Decay posted:

The whole "renovation" cost them maybe $5k-$10k total and they didn't even touch the outside or the guts of the house.

If they got that done for $10K including the kitchen, I want to talk to their contractor I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Youth Decay posted:

The house needed updating, yes (although I actually like old wood paneling). But it didn't deserve to be turned into a generic white ~modern farmhouse~. It also makes no sense to me that people can take a house, cover all the details in white paint, remove the drawers from the cabinets and then pretend it's worth $300k more. The whole "renovation" cost them maybe $5k-$10k total and they didn't even touch the outside or the guts of the house.

Oh yes that what I meant. Most old houses here that get turned into rentals they just slap white paint over the wood work and I've come to associate that in my head.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Youth Decay posted:

My current design pet peeve is ~minimalist~ kitchens. Like this one. How can you cook here? Where do you put food? And dishes? And cookware besides your stupid teapot collection?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Maybe this makes me a bad person, but I really like the look. It's too bad it's not useful. I have to assume the designer just wasn't prone to cooking.

It looks useful to me. Just because you don't load up your counters and cupboards full of poo poo doesn't mean you can't cook there.

That's about what my kitchen looks like and I have no problems cooking anything. All you need is like three kitchen knives, four pots and pans, a set of dinnerware, and a crock full of miscellaneous utensils. That's not even one entire cupboard, you still have room for a blender, coffee grinder, or whatever.

You could easily fit all that (and then some) inside the island. Assuming you have a pantry, that's all you need.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I on the other hand bake, and have four children lol. I have managed to keep the surfaces clear but only because all the cupboards are full.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PRADA SLUT posted:

That's about what my kitchen looks like and I have no problems cooking anything. All you need is like three kitchen knives, four pots and pans, a set of dinnerware, and a crock full of miscellaneous utensils. That's not even one entire cupboard, you still have room for a blender, coffee grinder, or whatever.
Where the gently caress do you store the food?

Like, I could probably condense my cookware down to one cupboard if I didn't mind digging through it every time I wanted to use something(I wouldn't, because gently caress that, but I could) & have dishware/glassware/tupperware in another cupboard, but where the hell does all the food go? The pasta? The rice? Canned stuff? Jarred stuff? Spices? There's no way I'd keep all of it on the counters, and that kitchen doesn't look like it has a pantry built in.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

It looks useful to me. Just because you don't load up your counters and cupboards full of poo poo doesn't mean you can't cook there.

You could easily fit all that (and then some) inside the island. Assuming you have a pantry, that's all you need.

When you have to assume there's more storage somewhere else then your argument has failed.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PRADA SLUT posted:

Non baker spotted.

Edit:
There's lots of folks for whom that kitchen would be fine. But it doesn't take a weirdo gadget packrat to end up with a bunch of poo poo exposed on those open shelves. It's just an odd design from a utility standpoint.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 1, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The lack doors on any of the storage is what gets me.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Non baker spotted.

:smuggo:

w/ BONUS alessi

e: though I have to SUFFER through the agony of pulling out my rice cooker to get my blender the half-dozen times I make a bisque or blend a drink

It's really not that hard to live a more minimal lifestyle, you just have to evaluate what's important to you and force yourself to not buy every piece of poo poo you find just because it's there and you can. A lot of pictures I see of people with these "home design nightmares" more often than not just have way too much poo poo and need to throw away most of it, yet are so convinced they "need" everything they own, they end up drowning in it, and thinking they need bigger places with more storage to accommodate it all. Closets full of clothes that never get worn, books that never get read, and tools for those "just in case" times that never happen (and even if they did, you're losing out having to store it), old papers, drawers full of cables, other home-storage nightmares.

Sure, you can always argue a "ground floor", but I guarantee you that anyone here could work with that much storage just fine.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 1, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There Are Four Children. :) Trust me you don't fill your house with anything unnecessary with this amount of kids, everything that's essential for daily life has already stolen all your storage space.

When you make cupcakes or muffins you use one tray, I use two. You have one toaster, I have two. You have one frying pan on the go, I have four. You have one set of crockery, I have daily crockery for six, and a set of nice crockery plus serving dishes because you can't serve guests food on the mish mash of plates you end up with because of breakages. You have one open box of cereal, I have four. The list goes on and on.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
There are different kitchens to suit different needs. There is never going to be a one-size-fits-all kitchen that makes everyone happy. That's ok!

Speaking of having too much stuff:

I can't get rid of any winter gear or blankets/comforters due to losing power multiple times during ice storms for weeks at a time growing up. I live in a different climate now, with better infrastructure. I still have a closet dedicated to setting up an artic-worthy indoor area of warmth because my brain is broken.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

learnincurve posted:

There Are Four Children. :) Trust me you don't fill your house with anything unnecessary with this amount of kids, everything that's essential for daily life has already stolen all your storage space.

When you make cupcakes or muffins you use one tray, I use two. You have one toaster, I have two. You have one frying pan on the go, I have four. You have one set of crockery, I have daily crockery for six, and a set of nice crockery plus serving dishes because you can't serve guests food on the mish mash of plates you end up with because of breakages. You have one open box of cereal, I have four. The list goes on and on.

It's not unattainable if you actually wanted it, kid excuses or not. It would be a change from what you're used to, but it's not out of reach. Most of it doesn't even have to do with "essential" items, it's mainly a hoarding of too many small things that aren't adding value, like clothes that never get worn, books that never get read, old dishes that never get used, etc. Or, "sentimental" items which are too sentimental to throw away, but for some reason not sentimental enough to actually be looked at or used. I religiously get rid of inessential things and even I'm certain I could collect a bag of junk to get rid of right now.

I think simple/minimal living is something that a lot of people claim they want to do, yet most people have an excuse of why they can't do it or why they think their life is somehow uniquely incompatible with it.

effika posted:

There are different kitchens to suit different needs. There is never going to be a one-size-fits-all kitchen that makes everyone happy. That's ok!

Speaking of having too much stuff:

I can't get rid of any winter gear or blankets/comforters due to losing power multiple times during ice storms for weeks at a time growing up. I live in a different climate now, with better infrastructure. I still have a closet dedicated to setting up an artic-worthy indoor area of warmth because my brain is broken.

I have a backpacking down sleeping bag that compresses to the size of two loaves of bread. Then again, in an actual emergency, I could just throw my wool rug on my bed as another blanket.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 1, 2017

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PRADA SLUT posted:

It's not unattainable if you actually wanted it, kid excuses or not. It would be a change from what you're used to, but it's not out of reach. ...

Is it just me or this pretty condescending?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

How'd the conservation go from ”some kitchens fit some people's needs better than others” to ”it would fit your needs if you just embrace my awesome minimalist lifestyle despite you having kids”

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Is it just me or this pretty condescending?

It's not intended to be.

The point I make is that if you want that style of decor and design, it's not out of your reach just because you have kids or have a bunch of cookware. It would be a bigger change than just switching some furniture, but it's entirely attainable if it's what you really want.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 2, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm all for supporting different people in the diversity of their wants and needs. :)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

PRADA SLUT posted:

It's not intended to be.

The point I make is that if you want that style of decor and design, it's not out of your reach just because you have kids or have a bunch of cookware. It would be a bigger change than just switching some furniture, but it's entirely attainable if it's what you really want.

Not having any doors or closable drawers on your bottom cupboards is a serious safety hazard if you have little kids roaming around. That's my biggest issue with the kitchen, I don't need much storage space but having everything (even a small amount of stuff) out in the open like that doesn't look minimalist or even stylish, it's just a mess.

Also that stove needs a hood and a vent fan.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Look, if kids are cramping your style, just remember it's never too late for adoption.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The whole minimalist thing is as annoying as any other proselytizing. I don't want to hear about the miraculous changes wrought in your life by Marie Kondo or by Jesus. If it works for you, great, but nobody can ever seem to enjoy minimalism quietly.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Next Clickhole post on Facebook:

”Minimalism win! This man gave his kids up for adoption to continue the lifestyle.”

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Anne Whateley posted:

Is it fine not to want that lifestyle? Because your lectures imply otherwise.

It's perfectly fine. The original point was a claim that you couldn't do any "real" cooking in a small kitchen, which I said you could, but it might take a lifestyle change to cut down to only what you needed.

I get that people want different things. I cannot fathom why some people would want a McMansion in the suburbs, but if that's what makes them happy, go for it.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 2, 2017

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Is it fine not to want that lifestyle? Because your lectures imply otherwise.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

hot new trend: minimalism in posting

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

SoundMonkey posted:

hot new trend: minimalism in posting

house bad

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

dislike kitchen

but whatev

kid-havers = ok

calm down

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

you want to talk hosed up minimalism, try... my kitchen

open shelves but they're too small for even a kitchenaid blender

cupboards with doors but they're too shallow to put much of anything in

butcher block style kitchen island with shelves underneath which is good because the cupboards won't fit a stock pot, i have to keep my pressure cooker in the laundry room. the stand mixer's just sort of on the floor, there's nowhere to put it that'll hold the weight.

like maybe seven linear feet of total counter space, i have my microwave on an old aquarium stand on the other side of the room.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Non baker spotted.

Edit:
There's lots of folks for whom that kitchen would be fine. But it doesn't take a weirdo gadget packrat to end up with a bunch of poo poo exposed on those open shelves. It's just an odd design from a utility standpoint.

I'd be fine in there as a baker, but as I said above, baking professionally broke my brain so I have zero problem with open shelves and hanging pans everywhere in my workspace that isn't my work surface so I can get at them without having to bugger about with doors.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Less arguing, more terrible kitchens

Real estate ad copy: "Enjoy the large, industrial-look kitchen"

Don't lie, you just tore out the old kitchen and didn't bother putting in a new one and now you're trying to sell a house for $700k without a drat kitchen.

Normally I like old ugly kitchens, but this is too ugly even for me

On an unrelated note WHY ARE YOU STAGING A HOUSE WITH PALLET WOOD FURNITURE

WHY

On an even more unrelated note, this is an amazing fake ad for a real house

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Youth Decay posted:

Real estate ad copy: "Enjoy the large, industrial-look kitchen"

Don't lie, you just tore out the old kitchen and didn't bother putting in a new one and now you're trying to sell a house for $700k without a drat kitchen.

All that open space, and not even a refrigerator.

quote:

If they hadn't committed the crime of putting the Formica on the walls as well, this would be acceptable.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Youth Decay posted:

On an unrelated note WHY ARE YOU STAGING A HOUSE WITH PALLET WOOD FURNITURE

WHY

My first thought was that the stuff there was the owners' actual furniture and they just tidied up a bit, but no, the whole scene is weirdly artificial in the way I'd expect from staging. And yet they couldn't even go for the hotel-clearance-sale "at least looks like real furniture" stuff. Why?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Antivehicular posted:

My first thought was that the stuff there was the owners' actual furniture and they just tidied up a bit, but no, the whole scene is weirdly artificial in the way I'd expect from staging. And yet they couldn't even go for the hotel-clearance-sale "at least looks like real furniture" stuff. Why?

my place was modestly staged when i viewed it, not fully furnished or anything, but a few tasteful things here and there. the exception was the upstairs bedroom, which had a double bed in it and nightstand with lamp and everything. which seemed normal until i talked to the lady who used to live here a month later, she had mobility issues, she never even went upstairs. they must have hauled that up just for the staging.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Youth Decay posted:

This looks like someone pissed in a quiche.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

This looks like someone pissed in a quiche.

Another worthy potential thread title.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd be fine in there as a baker, but as I said above, baking professionally broke my brain so I have zero problem with open shelves and hanging pans everywhere in my workspace that isn't my work surface so I can get at them without having to bugger about with doors.

I have some questions for you then.

I'm going to be putting together a kitchen from scratch in the next few months and my instinct is to go the same route as you with this stuff, but there's a huge backlash against open storage in this thread and I don't have enough direct experience to know how much of it is valid and how much is "ew sounds gross".

Do you find the things you have stored openly get filfy from all the cooking expectorate and general dustiness, and is it a problem? Are there any things in particular you make sure go in cupboards? Any other thoughts?

Edit: I should mention the backlash was before all this minimalism talk and mostly focused on grease and dust, I'm not downplaying the problems of high volume kid ownership

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 2, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Doctor Butts posted:

If they hadn't committed the crime of putting the Formica on the walls as well, this would be acceptable.

Think of the easy clean up though. Splash red wine and easter egg dye on your wall? NBD, you can clean it up later.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

I have some questions for you then.

I'm going to be putting together a kitchen from scratch in the next few months and my instinct is to go the same route as you with this stuff, but there's a huge backlash against open storage in this thread and I don't have enough direct experience to know how much of it is valid and how much is "ew sounds gross".

Do you find the things you have stored openly get filfy from all the cooking expectorate and general dustiness, and is it a problem? Are there any things in particular you make sure go in cupboards? Any other thoughts?

Edit: I should mention the backlash was before all this minimalism talk and mostly focused on grease and dust, I'm not downplaying the problems of high volume kid ownership

Speaking as someone who just spent a day prepping the kitchen for painting, dust and grease will build up over time on anything that's not getting used and cleaned fairly regularly. Don't put the open storage near the stove, and don't leave anything out that isn't going to be used at least every two weeks or so. Also make sure to wipe the shelves down on a regular basis or they get scuzzy.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah. Things on, above, and directly adjacent to the stove will get loving disgusting in fairly short order. Everywhere else is fairly normal amounts of dust with maybe a little bit of extra grime but not a huge deal. As long as your hanging pot rack or whatever isn't directly near the stove, it's probably fine as long as it gets a dusting now and then.

That's been my experience anyway.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I cannot stress enough the importance of a really good extractor fan. I have two, one above the oven and another along the main work surface, which is used far more than I thought it would be, mostly when serving up food.

One thing I don't do myself is deep fry. I would have to do such a large quantity of it that the only way to keep the walls and surfaces properly grease free would be to have a restaurant style stainless steel kitchen.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

That's just a 3 part sink and a crappy stove. I lived in a garage for a summer with a better kitchen than that.

What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ah but if you boil a kitchen right down to the essentials you don't need anything but an oven, a sink, and maybe one stainless steel unit with a cupboard and one draw underneath. Just buy the food you need for one day, anything else is simply unnecessary clutter.