Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Phi230 posted:

lol at thinking this

youre a piece of poo poo and deserve bad things

like they aren't missing school because they are on the loving magic school bus, in most cases of *willful* truancy by a parent it's going to involve either mental illness or substance abuse. that much truancy is a likely sign of other abuse as well, as pretty clearly a parent doesn't give much of a poo poo about the kids if they aren't even bothering sending them to school. we're talking about like, 9 and 10 year olds here. not 16 year olds.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah gently caress home schoolers, unironically

Though we should probably make it so parents don't have to work 60 hours and the schools are competent before we spend money on tearing families apart

home schooling is bad but at least there's a system for it. but yes i agree if the law is used to hit people who are literally unable to make arrangements to get their kid to school consistently and on time (is it?), that's a big problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Concerned Citizen posted:

ca already had fairly harsh laws, in this case it's only kindergarten through 8th grade and the student has to miss 10% of the school year, then ignore counseling and warnings. in those cases i'd imagine the parent is likely complicit in the kid missing school, unless there is some serious medical/behavioral issue in which case the district needs to work the parent to deal with it. i'm not really aware of what ca school districts are required to do in these cases though, maybe someone else knows.

You are sheltered as gently caress, Jesus.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Main Paineframe posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/892446603944112129

the NYT bringing us the scoop on the hateful left. examples of this hate include: organizing a Women's March, saying nice things about Islam, saying nice things about Castro, saying nice things about members of the Black Panthers and Nation of Islam, criticizing Zionism, criticizing the police

and, of course, the kicker:

t this poo poo has blown up among my liberal friends and it doesn't stand up to even the slightest scrutiny.

Also that author used to work at The Tablet which is basically an Israeli propaganda rag

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol loving enjoy your subscriptions

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Lol loving enjoy your subscriptions

I find a new reason to regret mine drat near everyday

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and to think that cc is paid an awful lot of money to be completely wrong and a colossal piece of poo poo.

i mean, i ain't even mad -- nice work if you can get it because i just assumed that a job like that usually involves kissing the dead rear end of roger ailles.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

like they aren't missing school because they are on the loving magic school bus, in most cases of *willful* truancy by a parent it's going to involve either mental illness or substance abuse. that much truancy is a likely sign of other abuse as well, as pretty clearly a parent doesn't give much of a poo poo about the kids if they aren't even bothering sending them to school. we're talking about like, 9 and 10 year olds here. not 16 year olds.

home schooling is bad but at least there's a system for it. but yes i agree if the law is used to hit people who are literally unable to make arrangements to get their kid to school consistently and on time (is it?), that's a big problem.

you advise people in the democratic party....? :chloe:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
just to be clear are you all actually against compulsory education or something

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

democrats pay for the advice who thinks it's a good idea to lock up parents of truant kids? :psyboom:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

just to be clear are you all actually against compulsory education or something

yeah, you cracked the case

*pulls succ zone mask off the anti-education thread*

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

democrats pay for the advice who thinks it's a good idea to lock up parents of truant kids? :psyboom:

is there any state that doesn't actually have criminal penalties for refusing to send your kid to school?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

is there any state that doesn't actually have criminal penalties for refusing to send your kid to school?

perhaps? lots of states used to and still have anti-sodomy laws on the books. you gonna pretend those are a good idea too?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
love that big data

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Suck Zone: Butt, if it isn't legal...

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

perhaps? lots of states used to and still have anti-sodomy laws on the books. you gonna pretend those are a good idea too?

well those are called "compulsory education laws." idk what other way you're supposed to get a parent who deliberately refuses to send their kids to school to do so without compelling them. it's obviously very different from someone who has chronic health issues or other circumstances that make it difficult to get their kid to school on time or consistently, there's no reason that should be a criminal case, but in the case of someone who is healthy has the means but refuses to do so, there's clearly serious problems in that household.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

well those are called "compulsory education laws." idk what other way you're supposed to get a parent who deliberately refuses to send their kids to school to do so without compelling them. it's obviously very different from someone who has chronic health issues or other circumstances that make it difficult to get their kid to school on top or consistently, there's no reason that should be a criminal case, but in the case of someone who is healthy has the means but refuses to do so, there's clearly serious problems in that household.

how does sending the parent to jail (for a year to boot!) get them to send their kids to school? are they supposed to send their kids regular letters from their prison cell reminding them to attend class?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

mandatory re-education camps for all

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/892446603944112129

the NYT bringing us the scoop on the hateful left. examples of this hate include: organizing a Women's March, saying nice things about Islam, saying nice things about Castro, saying nice things about members of the Black Panthers and Nation of Islam, criticizing Zionism, criticizing the police

and, of course, the kicker:

holyy fuckin lol

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

how does sending the parent to jail (for a year to boot!) get them to send their kids to school? are they supposed to send their kids regular letters from their prison cell reminding them to attend class?

they shouldn't have custody over a kid they are unable to parent. seems fairly commonsense. i don't think you need to send them to prison for 6 months or something but there should definitely be criminal penalties, it's abusive to the child and it's not like you aren't getting a shitload of warnings.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

they shouldn't have custody over a kid they are unable to parent. seems fairly commonsense. i don't think you need to send them to prison for 6 months or something but there should definitely be criminal penalties, it's abusive to the child and it's not like you aren't getting a shitload of warnings.

why are you assuming they cannot parent? lot of kids grow up as latchkey kids, and if some of them are truant you think it's a good idea to rip them away from their families to put into an already way overburdened foster system? how are you this hosed up? no wonder the dems can't understand the problems facing americans when they have idiots like you who thinks breaking up poor families helps anyone

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

like, you are straight out assuming families with truant kids are abusive and using that to justify breaking them apart! if the families are abusive, that can be proven via normal means and the kids removed appropriately, not ripping them away from their family and friends cause they didn't go to school enough for rich technocrats like you

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

some kids are truant cause they work (more than they should yes!) to help support their siblings! according to you they don't deserve to live at home even if their parents are doing their best to raise them

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

why are you assuming they cannot parent? lot of kids grow up as latchkey kids, and if some of them are truant you think it's a good idea to rip them away from their families to put into an already way overburdened foster system? how are you this hosed up? no wonder the dems can't understand the problems facing americans when they have idiots like you who thinks breaking up poor families helps anyone

i was a latchkey kid, i'm aware of the poo poo involved with that. but as i've repeatedly said earlier, which i assume you've just ignored on purpose, there is absolutely no reason to use criminal penalties on parents whose kids either have behaviorial issues they just can't control or have financial or health issues preventing them from consistently getting their kids to school. but in the case where a parent is simply willfully defying the law, whether because of mental illness, substance abuse, or because they just don't give a poo poo, they shouldn't have those kids. it's not "hosed up" to remove them from that, it's hosed up to keep kids in homes where the parents don't care about them.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

some kids are truant cause they work (more than they should yes!) to help support their siblings! according to you they don't deserve to live at home even if their parents are doing their best to raise them

don't really think "child labor" is a good reason for kids to be truant for months tbh

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

your entire reasoning is based in gut feelings, informed by your idiotic perception of the poor as abusive and undermining themselves. there is no basis from which to believe punitive truancy laws help improve attendance, but you punish all the same cause your gut tells you it's the right thing to do:

quote:

Many states have similar punishments codified in law, but according to Joanna Heilbrunn, director of the National Center for School Engagement, and several other educational policy organizations who responded to the Guardian’s requests, there is no concrete data to back up the idea that fining and jailing parents helps fight truancy.

The Guardian spoke with Heilbrunn about the demographics of truancy in America, the effectiveness of fines and jail times for parents who can’t keep their kids in school, and why alternative punishments – like suspending a teen’s drivers license, for starters – may be a better bet.

To get a better picture of the issue, the Guardian also sifted through all 50 states’ education laws, which vary substantially in their definition of truancy and the severity of punishments they allow.

Depending on the state, students can be considered truant after one day or up to “10 half-days” of unexcused absence. Schools handle minor infractions through warning letters, parent-teacher conferences, and other means. But in 40 states and the District of Columbia, parents of repeat offenders can face fines – anywhere from $20 to $1,500, plus court fees – or short-term imprisonment. Browse the embedded chart to find where your state stands and compare it against others. (Note that local districts may set their own definitions or penalties within the states’ limits.)

The Guardian’s conversation with Heilbrunn is also punctuated by supporting data from the National Center for Juvenile Justice’s 2010 Juvenile Court Statistics report, one of the only sources of national data on truancy. This dataset examines those truancy cases referred to and acted upon by state juvenile courts around the country.

The conversation has been edited for clarity.
The woman who died in jail last week brought truancy fines to national attention. Some media outlets referred to her jailing as “debtors prison”. It got us wondering, how did this idea of fining families (children and/or parents) for absenteeism catch on in the first place? Is there evidence to back it up?

Joanna Heilbrunn: Evidence to support it? That would require someone doing a study looking at different punishments levied in court and comparing outcomes. You’d need a fairly large sample, and a control group. These things tend not to get done, frankly.

What people “know” about responses to truancy and to lots of other things [are] anecdotal in many cases. Judges have impressions about what works and what doesn’t work, [and] judges differ substantially in the extent to which they actually assess fines. Lots of things are on the books but don’t always get enforced. (I don’t think anyone collects data on how often judges actually impose fines.)

But there is plenty of evidence, based on real studies, to show that in general supportive measures work much better than punitive measures when you’re dealing with truancy, because there’s always some reason behind [an absence].

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

don't really think "child labor" is a good reason for kids to be truant for months tbh

and yet it's a loving harsh reality for some families in the US you elitist piece of poo poo

i was a latchkey kid, i'm aware of the poo poo involved with that. but as i've repeatedly said earlier, which i assume you've just ignored on purpose, there is absolutely no reason to use criminal penalties on parents whose kids either have behaviorial issues they just can't control or have financial or health issues preventing them from consistently getting their kids to school. but in the case where a parent is simply willfully defying the law, whether because of mental illness, substance abuse, or because they just don't give a poo poo, they shouldn't have those kids. it's not "hosed up" to remove them from that, it's hosed up to keep kids in homes where the parents don't care about them.

and as i've said, criminal penalties don't help. you are punishing for punishment's sake, not to help the kids, or society, or anyone. congrats.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

quote:

But there is plenty of evidence, based on real studies, to show that in general supportive measures work much better than punitive measures when you’re dealing with truancy, because there’s always some reason behind [an absence].

and here's what i'm talking about, and agree entirely. you need a very good support system to make sure these kids can get to school even if the parent has serious problems. i think deliberate truancy that is caused by the parent is rare, but the idea that you shouldn't do anything about it is really messed up.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

and here's what i'm talking about, and agree entirely. you need a very good support system to make sure these kids can get to school even if the parent has serious problems. i think deliberate truancy that is caused by the parent is rare, but the idea that you shouldn't do anything about it is really messed up.

you've said absolutely nothing about support systems and have fought to the hilt to defend punitive systems. you have also literally said that when people get hit by those punitive measures, it's cause they deserve it, not "because there’s always some reason behind [an absence]." gently caress off

quote:

but in the case of someone who is healthy has the means but refuses to do so, there's clearly serious problems in that household.

seriously, you are like a case study in everything that's wrong with the dem party

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
poor people aren't people to scum like CC, how is anyone surprised by this

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
You know who I trust to be sensitive about truancy issues, the notoriously exploitative and punitive state of California.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

you've said absolutely nothing about support systems and have fought to the hilt to defend punitive systems. you have also literally said that when people get hit by those punitive measures, it's cause they deserve it, not "because there’s always some reason behind [an absence]." gently caress off

literally on the last page:

quote:

obviously if it's a case of simply not being able to, like for circumstances beyond their control, then that is different and it's on the school district to come up with a solution.

what did you think i meant by that? jesus.

child abuse is real, not all abuse is physical, there should be laws to prevent parents from exploiting their children or otherwise neglecting them!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
"oops, my school system enabled my child to be bullied, now he dodges school as i work 80 hours a week and i go to jail, sweet"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

literally on the last page:

what did you think i meant by that? jesus.

you meant bullshit cause that's not the system we live in or the system kamala harris is proposing, or a system anyone is discussing. even in your utopic system, punishing parents with jailtime to fix truancy doesn't loving work, and there's no evidence it works. you are advocating for punishing and destroying families just cause your gut tells you it's the right way to deal with those poors.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
"haha im too poor to afford food and now my child has to work under the table to feed himself, guess im going to prison"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

anime was right posted:

"haha im too poor to afford food and now my child has to work under the table to feed himself, guess im going to prison"

"this person deserves to go to prison" - CC as he dines on catered lobster risotto at a DNC function

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

you meant bullshit cause that's not the system we live in or the system kamala harris is proposing, or a system anyone is discussing. even in your utopic system, punishing parents with jailtime to fix truancy doesn't loving work, and there's no evidence it works. you are advocating for punishing and destroying families just cause your gut tells you it's the right way to deal with those poors.

i was literally asking if anyone knew what mandates the schools had under the ca law earlier, i am legitimately curious. but i do support laws to prevent truancy so long as it's paired with support by districts to ensure every kid can get to school regardless of their financial situation, and that parents aren't punished because their kids have behavioral issues. i don't think we need like, cops showing up at a house and arresting a parent because it turns out the kid has been skipping school while they were at work.

as i said:

quote:

child abuse is real, not all abuse is physical, there should be laws to prevent parents from exploiting their children or otherwise neglecting them!

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 01:49 on Aug 2, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

"well in a system which is not biased against the poor or minorities, it's perfectly fine and dandy to sentence parents to jail for the truancy of their kids! we all live in a just world after all!:downs:" - CC, vaunted dem consultant

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Should parents be jailed if their kid doesn't do homework too?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i'm sure the courts, which never ever railroad minorities or poor people, will fairly assess on a case by case basis if truancy-enabling parent #512124 has adequately attempted to get her child to school, and will not just funnel her into prison as fast as can be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I don't know if this thread deserves the purity bee anymore

• Locked thread