Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CtV8lZT9DU

My drunken horrible playing last night was rewarded with this embarrassing potg. That Widow and Mccree were dunking on me all match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

mcbexx posted:

New skins mentioned (probably amongst others to be included) are for Mercy ("best yet" according to JK), McCree, Widow, Junkrat.

That's weird, because three of those characters got Summer Games skins last year (not legendary ones, but still). I would've thought they'd tackle characters who didn't get one last time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it was pretty funny when jeff faked out roadhog in his dev update

"roadhog gets... nothing gently caress that guy"

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

No Wave posted:

I think that's why they removed the SR mouseover. I used to complain loudly in allied chat about how unfair it was there was a diamond on their team (which was in fact a stomp 80% of the time). I do think the Blizz matchmaker generates more hopeless games on purpose than by random chance, but I also think they have data that backs up that this approach is correct (in terms of casual player satisfaction/retention). I don't think I have nearly as many loss streaks as a random walk would arrive at over a few hundred games.

I had someone on the red team whine in QP today that "comp players should go back to comp and leave QP alone". I was the only one on my team with a comp border and I'm mid-bronze. People will complain regardless.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

What's a comp border, exactly?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Wrist Watch posted:

What's a comp border, exactly?

i think he was looking at the level border. everyone gets a border around their portrait based on level, comp stuff only shows up in comp (your ranking emblem) or in like, a spray.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Oh, okay. Thought it might be a new thing I hadn't noticed yet.

Those change every, what, thousand levels? I'm probably never going to have one myself but I like that they exist. It's always funny running into silver border people that aren't good at the game, but then again that could just mean they always play with a group or like to grind for boxes or something because levels are meaningless

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you get silver at level 600, gold at 1200, and platinum at 1800 I think

I'm still bronze so I'm not positive but that's how I remember it

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
If junkrats new sporty skin doesn't involve a super soaker I'm uninstalling

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I know Winston isn't human but I really wanted a weight lifter Winston skin

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So glad the old skins are just going to be 1000 gold. Was bummed that I miss the Zarya skin last time so I am going to get that finally.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i think he was looking at the level border. everyone gets a border around their portrait based on level, comp stuff only shows up in comp (your ranking emblem) or in like, a spray.

Oh, really? I had no idea what it meant, I just figured it was a comp thing because I only noticed it after I'd done my comp placement.

(Speaking of comp, I was the only bronze in my all-silver team just now, balanced by an all-silver team with a platinum member. Not sure how that works.)

Different topic: I'm enjoying my friend Sabriel's Pulse Bomb Ready video series.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Besesoth posted:

(Speaking of comp, I was the only bronze in my all-silver team just now, balanced by an all-silver team with a platinum member. Not sure how that works.)

you could try and logic it out by saying maybe the game is trying to figure out where your actual skill level is by placing you in a game above your visual rank, to see if you do well enough to rank up

but its easier to just say it probably doesn't actually work and it's just fuckin' random

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Were they actually plat, ie 2500+? If so, that seems really odd , considering thats 500-1000 point difference between the two. What is more likely, the plat dropped to 15-1600, which is the borderline for bronze/silver.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

berenzen posted:

If you've played 25 games and not a single one had been a win, it's likely not the matchmaker that is at fault.

I have been seeing this,. ,my only Comp match in the last 2 weeks was oasis, lost the first won the second, then the team just idled in the spawn - the enemy genji was camping the spawn with a widow - we couldnt even get out of spawn, me as the only healer no one would change to counter hence we lost big time and I lost >40 SR for one match taking me down to low 600

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

That happens every once in a while, sure. But not over 25 games.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I just hit 25 on my PC account and went 8-2 in placements to get 2625, then got matched into a diamond game

it thinks I should be higher, so it's throwing me in a deeper part of the pool to see if I can swim

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Montalvo posted:

If junkrats new sporty skin doesn't involve a super soaker I'm uninstalling

Rumor is that the grenades on his vest are being replaced with water balloons.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I just hit 25 on my PC account and went 8-2 in placements to get 2625, then got matched into a diamond game

it thinks I should be higher, so it's throwing me in a deeper part of the pool to see if I can swim

Blizzard deliberately puts people lower than their "true" rank after placements so they get the thrill of climbing rank for a bit while they stabilize, so if you placed at 2600+ then yeah, your true rank might very well be closer to diamond.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
What does it mean when, while doing placements, you get matched against people in diamond almost exclusively? Cause I can count on one hand how many plats I've played against this season. Granted I did finish last season on the plat/diamond border.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Don't look at the symbol, look at their actual SR, but it's probably thinking your MMR is around the plat-diamond border, and putting you there. Your MMR doesn't change between seasons, your starting SR will probably be around 2650-2800 or so. It generally places you about 200-300 SR below what it thinks your true MMR is

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bumper Stickup posted:

What does it mean when, while doing placements, you get matched against people in diamond almost exclusively? Cause I can count on one hand how many plats I've played against this season. Granted I did finish last season on the plat/diamond border.

It means the game's confident you're a Diamond player.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

mcbexx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPs__eUvtvU

Summer Games are starting next week on Aug 8th.

Last year's event items as well as new ones will be available for purchase with coins.
New skins mentioned (probably amongst others to be included) are for Mercy ("best yet" according to JK), McCree, Widow, Junkrat.

The prices of last year's event items will not be inflated.

Lucioball with get a comp setting.

It's be reeeeal hard to beat Witch Mercy, such a great skin and the altered voice lines make it better. I'm eager to see what it is however.. maybe the tennis skin with some short shorts? :vince:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the uprising mercy is the best mercy

the witch mercy has the most work put into it though what with all the special lines and the staff graphics and whatnot

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
Winston dressed in 80's style tennis get-up, short shorts and a bandana would be awesome.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Witch Mercy is the best skin in the game. We really need more of those 3000 coin skins with special effects, like Hanzo's wolves or Mei's snowman freeze.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Constantine XI posted:

Winston dressed in 80's style tennis get-up, short shorts and a bandana would be awesome.

winston was badminton

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I dunno, I see him as more of a Squash man. He'll have gotten used to playing in a small, enclosed cell.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Snazzy Frocks posted:

winston was badminton

He was volleyball, Mercy was Badmiton

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

I don't know about you other XBox Overwatch players, but I've been having a pretty good experience lately in competitive. I had avoided it for most of my time playing Overwatch because I've heard that a good portion the lower tier matches were complete shitshows with people throwing games, leaving, etc. I decided to give it a shot about a week ago and so far, so good. I've only had a handful of people leave during a match. Teams I've been on have even pulled out a few matches against 6 when we have 5. Voice comms have been great for the most part. I was anticipating a bunch of high pitched voices telling me I suck or just being really annoying and douchey. Most of the matches I've played have had good communication. I love it. I feel like my Overwatch play has received a huge shot in the arm as a result. Maybe it is because Overwatch is getting a little long in the tooth and a lot of those folks have moved on to newer games, leaving people who just want to play Overwatch? Even when I''ve been on teams getting rolled, most of the time we just laugh it off and try again. I haven't been this in love with a game since Starsiege Tribes.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Doomfist feels kinda old Roadhoggy in that he absolutely crushes low awareness players and I'm wondering if people are going to start (or have started) yelling about it

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Notice for buffalo fans: Jeff says they are currently experimenting with some buffs for Orisa, no details because he's not sure what will stick yet. "Overall, we feel like she's not far off but not quite in the ideal spot yet."

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

wyoak posted:

Doomfist feels kinda old Roadhoggy in that he absolutely crushes low awareness players and I'm wondering if people are going to start (or have started) yelling about it

They have been for about a week now.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

turtlecrunch posted:

Notice for buffalo fans: Jeff says they are currently experimenting with some buffs for Orisa, no details because he's not sure what will stick yet. "Overall, we feel like she's not far off but not quite in the ideal spot yet."

an even quicker turnover time on her shield ability should do the trick.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Orisa's left click now fires her shield instead of bullets (same fire rate and ammo as before).

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
increase her projectile speed and it'll be fine. I'm thinking maybe instant? Like when you click on their head it registers a hit?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
A hitscan projectile? Please god no.

Her pick rate is the bigger problem than her win rate (which is basically average) so they're probably focusing on her mechanics feeling more fun.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 3, 2017

wit
Jul 26, 2011

No Wave posted:

A hitscan projectile? Please god no.

Her pick rate is the bigger problem than her win rate (which is basically average) so they're probably focusing on her mechanics feeling more fun.

Reasonable things (to me) I've heard are:
A predictable version of her shield - I'd prefer a doomfist style target rather than a mei wall point and click, that'd be loving infuriating.
Her aim spreads out as normal but after a little bit the bloom dies down so that she can still be firing out suppressing fire you can outrun but eventually she's able to properly aim it like a reverse 76.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I would like it if you could activate her right click suction by clicking again. So it activates when it makes impact, but you could activate it before then if you want to pull someone to a different place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I thought it already does that