Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
The girlfriend just upgraded to a Galaxy S8 yesterday and loves it. The Verizon rep said a new Google Pixel phone should be coming out this Fall. When it does, I'm jumping ship to Android where I hopefully won't have to put up with contact shortcuts not opening, random restarts, OneNote not syncing properly, Excel crashing, not having apps for my favorite restaurants, not having to verify my account with my PIN once a day, virtually no updates, and seeing WELCOME TO MESSAGING+ ever again.

I'll miss Cortana and the live tiles, but the cons outweigh those at this point. While the Icon is still a great piece of hardware, the OS on it has gotten so bad that I think Microsoft is deliberately trying to chase people away from their mobile devices at this point.

It's been and interesting experience, Windows Phone, but I think it's time we saw other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

While it's probably redundant if you're set on moving, have you done a hard reset? The only one of those issues I've had (or at least have persist between resets) is random restarts, which has apparently plagued the 950, and so far folding some paper behind the case to keep the battery firmly in place seems to have solved it.

Edit: Good bit of advice for the restarts also was to check the metal connectors on the battery itself, which can get pushed apart over time and stop physically touching the pins in the phone. I used a safety pin to push the connectors back together and the phone immediately stopped its restart cycle after a couple of hours of being completely unusable.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 29, 2017

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Charles Martel posted:

The girlfriend just upgraded to a Galaxy S8 yesterday and loves it. The Verizon rep said a new Google Pixel phone should be coming out this Fall.

I had to go look it up but yes there has been confirmation of the next Pixel this year. http://www.techradar.com/news/get-ready-google-pixel-2-release-confirmed-for-this-year

Google has a so so reputation on their phones, some are great and cheap, some are pricey and have some issues. People have been pretty happy with the Pixel however. If you don't want to wait I might suggest the S8 or Motorollas. Both will be solid experiences, Motorolla offers pretty solid phones across a vast array of price points. New S8s show up with pretty major disounts pretty often. Samsung themselves were offering them for $480 just a couple of weeks ago.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

While it's probably redundant if you're set on moving, have you done a hard reset? The only one of those issues I've had (or at least have persist between resets) is random restarts, which has apparently plagued the 950, and so far folding some paper behind the case to keep the battery firmly in place seems to have solved it.

Edit: Good bit of advice for the restarts also was to check the metal connectors on the battery itself, which can get pushed apart over time and stop physically touching the pins in the phone. I used a safety pin to push the connectors back together and the phone immediately stopped its restart cycle after a couple of hours of being completely unusable.

Would you still re-seat the battery even if the restarts mostly happen due to what seems like a software issue? Most of the time it restarts is when it freezes in Edge). This phone also doesn't have an easy way to open it and get to the batter either from what I can see.

And yeah, I've been hearing good things about the Pixel. iPhone level hardware with Android software; seems to be the best of both worlds. The unlimited cloud space is a big plus too with all the pictures and videos I have of my son.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hard reset first, look at battery second if you can (I was assuming 950 for no particular reason, so it probably isn't that tbh). It seems like after a few major updates Windows can sometimes get a bit squirrely, so do a backup in Settings, dump anything in the internal storage onto your PC, screenshot your start menu as, infuriatingly, it doesn't seem to restore the live tile layout, and give it a reset.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Hard reset first, look at battery second if you can (I was assuming 950 for no particular reason, so it probably isn't that tbh). It seems like after a few major updates Windows can sometimes get a bit squirrely, so do a backup in Settings, dump anything in the internal storage onto your PC, screenshot your start menu as, infuriatingly, it doesn't seem to restore the live tile layout, and give it a reset.

Backed up everything last night, reset my phone, and now I can't add my Microsoft account to the phone. If I try to add it manually through Settings, it tries to look for an app in the Store and just errors out. Edge is completely missing as well. Changing the date and time manually to try and trigger logging into my account doesn't work as a quick Google search suggests. Now I'm resetting it again. :sigh:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That's pretty bizarre, did it not ask you to sign in at the initial setup? There's also the Device Recovery Tool on PC if you want the nuclear option, which I needed on my 640 at one point. It will set you back a few updates (possibly back to WP8 depending on the device) and require a couple of big updates to get Windows 10 fully updated, but if that doesn't work then nothing will.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Yeah, just used that and it reverted back to Win8. Strangely, I was able to login to my MS account no problem. Now I'm downloading the Insider app to try and get back to Win10. Hoping I don't have any problems this time.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Ok, besides the inability to get a couple of apps back I used to have (RIP NES One), everything seems back to normal and I haven't experienced any reboots yet. My next issue is, even after opting in for Fast ring updates via Insider, I can't download Awful Forums Reader despite having it before when I has Slow ring updates enabled. My OS build is 10.0.14393.67 and the Awful store page requires a build of 10.0.15063.0 or higher. This is after a couple of system updates after enabling Fast ring and I was assuming I would have a more updated OS than when I was on Slow ring. Did I mess something up or is there a workaround to where I can get the Awful app back on my phone?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Charles Martel posted:

I'll miss Cortana and the live tiles, but the cons outweigh those at this point. While the Icon is still a great piece of hardware, the OS on it has gotten so bad that I think Microsoft is deliberately trying to chase people away from their mobile devices at this point.

You can get Cortana on Android and Microsoft has their own launcher that kinda gives you a Windows Phone experience for Android so you won't be missing much. There's also launchers that fully duplicate the look of Windows Phone and I believe one of them that I tried had live tiles.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Like iOS, emulators have been deemed verboten by the Microsoft Store T&Cs, so they're gone, but you can set Windows to sideload apps under developer options in Settings then download the app (I'm guessing this is NESBox) off the developer's site and install it direct (use 8 Zip to unzip it, it's a decent universal app). However it looks like something is boned at the developer's end as the current version has some sort of certificate or security error that stops it installing on mobile or desktop, so I'm on the hunt for a slightly older version.

You need to keep checking for updates to get to 15063, I think it can only install up to the anniversary update when upgrading to Windows 10, then it can update to the current version from there.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How sad is it that when I just did a search to see if snapchat had finally returned to WP and saw a screenshot from a WP I got all reminiscent. Thats literally the only thing holding me back from getting another Windows phone.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I went iPhone and am not looking back. I have snap hat now. I have no idea how to use it. Feels good man.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I've done the same. My 950xl had developed this amazing feature where, despite having strong signal, I couldn't receive texts or calls. No notification, no alert. The only way to correct it was to completely reboot the phone. And who knows how long that would correct the issue. Maybe it was running Windows 10 Mobile Fast Ring. Maybe it was the static shocks from the dry winters we have around here. Maybe it was the fact that the phone is two years old with no viable replacement on the horizon.

Regardless, now I have a phone that's fast, with much better battery life, and all the first-party apps I could want. Microsoft, when you come back, you best come prepared.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I broke my 950 last week. The phone itself still works, but the screen is totally blank so I can't interact with it at all. How do I go about pulling off some of the files on it if I can't click "yes" to allow usb data on the dialog box that pops up when you plug the phone in to a computer?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Crumps Brother posted:

I broke my 950 last week. The phone itself still works, but the screen is totally blank so I can't interact with it at all. How do I go about pulling off some of the files on it if I can't click "yes" to allow usb data on the dialog box that pops up when you plug the phone in to a computer?

Do you have the Continuum dock?

Or have a need for a USB-C to HDMI+USB adapter like this?
https://www.amazon.com/USB-Type-HDM...s=usb-c+adapter

Or a monitor that supports USB-C input and has a USB hub?

All three will trigger Continuum and you can then offload stuff onto the micro-SD card or a flash drive. The second option could be tricky to use with a flash drive without a Bluetooth mouse or a USB hub, though.

Tangentially, my 950XL is inexplicably crashing when I wake it from sleep. I thought it was a bad update and had jumped to the Fast Ring to no avail. I then thought it may have something to do with the replacement screen I bought off of Amazon marketplace after shattering the original screen in a fit of rage. (Yes, I got pissed off enough at the 950XL that I smacked the screen against a wooden handrail which shattered the screen.) Then, I find out that it may be because the battery can fail to provide adequate voltage and current when under 70% and cause the phone to crash. Given how quickly this thing gobbles power, that's a pretty unavoidable problem if you're on the go a lot and defeats the purpose of a portable device.

In any case, I already got an iPhone SE but am eyeing the Nokia 8 for the inevitable depending on which I can put up with. I'm actually starting to lean back towards Android after being unable to put up with iOS without jailbreaking it but jailbreaking breaks (:haw:) certain things like Pokemon Go for instance.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Edward IV posted:

Do you have the Continuum dock?

Or have a need for a USB-C to HDMI+USB adapter like this?
https://www.amazon.com/USB-Type-HDM...s=usb-c+adapter

Or a monitor that supports USB-C input and has a USB hub?

All three will trigger Continuum and you can then offload stuff onto the micro-SD card or a flash drive. The second option could be tricky to use with a flash drive without a Bluetooth mouse or a USB hub, though.
Sounds like this is what I want then. Thanks for the help! Sadly, looks like I'm going to Android now. Not because I'm a bitter user or anything like that, but just because there's not really anything out there worth buying to replace my busted 950. Hopefully something gets released in the future and I can switch back again.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Go for it. My dad got a Nokia 3 a week ago and even being a low-budget phone is great.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
I went for a run and my 950 took a bit of a tumble on the tarmac. Everything seems to be fine bar a few dings in the mozo (PS I'm impressed with how resilient the screen is - my 1520 couldn't withstand a 2 ft drop onto tile, and iPhones can't take much before the screen is knackered). One weird thing is the my text size has ballooned - I tried changing the Setting > Display > Size of Text slider which seems to only go down to 300%. Is that the minimum? I'm sure it used to go down to 100%. Is there any other place to change text size? It's huge in all the menus, Edge, txts, emails, everywhere. Thank you Hive Mind!

Edit: I restarted it a few times and nothing, trying to avoid a hard reset because Millions of Passwords.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mr Funkface posted:

I went for a run and my 950 took a bit of a tumble on the tarmac. Everything seems to be fine bar a few dings in the mozo (PS I'm impressed with how resilient the screen is - my 1520 couldn't withstand a 2 ft drop onto tile, and iPhones can't take much before the screen is knackered). One weird thing is the my text size has ballooned - I tried changing the Setting > Display > Size of Text slider which seems to only go down to 300%. Is that the minimum? I'm sure it used to go down to 100%. Is there any other place to change text size? It's huge in all the menus, Edge, txts, emails, everywhere. Thank you Hive Mind!

Edit: I restarted it a few times and nothing, trying to avoid a hard reset because Millions of Passwords.

It only goes down to 300% on mine, but see if Magnifier got enabled. Double tap with two fingers to toggle it.

edit: Also try going to Ease of Access, More options, and Text Scaling.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

My $20 640 is still doing fine. For a couple months I was even getting good battery life on Windows 10, and then it went back to needing a charge every day. The other day I was in a Rite Aid trying to get prints out of one of their stone-age kiosks from my Android tablet. After struggling for 20 minutes (I think it was a version that restricts access to the SD card) I said gently caress it, popped the SD card into my Lumia, redownloaded the images, and got it resized and printed in no time.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Ohrmazd posted:

It only goes down to 300% on mine, but see if Magnifier got enabled. Double tap with two fingers to toggle it.

edit: Also try going to Ease of Access, More options, and Text Scaling.

Well done that man! All Setting > Ease of Access > More Options > Text Scaling slider. (Magnifier was off btw.)

Because a function needs to be split in two and put in two separate places. See also Windows 10 desktop Settings vs. Control Panel.

I just lent my 640 to a friend who needed a second phone. Other than the cracked case (not the glass, mind you), and the need for a micro USB cable, all is well. It has dual sim but she's tied to iPhone whatever.

On that note, obv. the new iPhone is coming out, and we are for some reason stubborn in our WinPhone ways: what would the new iPhone need for us to move away from our increasingly lovely system? Will this be the point in time for a mass exodus? I for one am considering it, though they'd need to revamp the whole UI which I still find way too simplistic. Also I find them ugly. More likely to go to Galaxy when the time comes, though holding out for now.

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch
There's nothing that iOS could do that would make me switch to an iPhone. I mean, they could revamp the UI, but they won't. If my 950 dies and I can't find a replacement, I will be pretty bummed.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Mr Funkface posted:

On that note, obv. the new iPhone is coming out, and we are for some reason stubborn in our WinPhone ways: what would the new iPhone need for us to move away from our increasingly lovely system? Will this be the point in time for a mass exodus? I for one am considering it, though they'd need to revamp the whole UI which I still find way too simplistic. Also I find them ugly. More likely to go to Galaxy when the time comes, though holding out for now.

For me, iPhone would need a back button and a better UI. Also, I shouldn't need to plug the phone in to a PC at all. Apparently in 2017 you can download a ringtone app but can't set them to an iPhone without first syncing to iTunes.

When my 950 was having battery issues, I borrowed my sister's second phone, an LG K20. I have not put my sim card in the 950 since. I miss Cortina reading text messages over Bluetooth in the car and I also miss the UI, but even this budget phone gets better performance on basic apps, plus my local credit union has an android app.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Thinking about this a little more, wireless charging + double sim would do it for me. I'm cheap.

What's the latest on the Nokia android endeavours? I like Nokia.

Fake Edit: I googled it myself - something is coming around the corner next week!

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/25/16024456/nokia-8-hmd-launch-august-rumors

This may be my jumpship.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mr Funkface posted:

What's the latest on the Nokia android endeavours? I like Nokia.

Nokia isn't really Nokia anymore, and you'd be foolish to jump on a brand new company's first foray into Android, when established companies like LG and Samsung have such a hard time being not poo poo already

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

ergot posted:

There's nothing that iOS could do that would make me switch to an iPhone. I mean, they could revamp the UI, but they won't. If my 950 dies and I can't find a replacement, I will be pretty bummed.

If you're fine with winpho then don't switch, no need for now. The price to replace with anything other than bargain devices isn't worth it, IMO, compared to iPhones.

What I got from iPhone vs the 950 on insider fast was that it works consistently all the time. The browser also doesn't gently caress up on rendering every other page I visit. That was a big one for me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mr Funkface posted:

I went for a run and my 950 took a bit of a tumble on the tarmac. Everything seems to be fine bar a few dings in the mozo (PS I'm impressed with how resilient the screen is - my 1520 couldn't withstand a 2 ft drop onto tile, and iPhones can't take much before the screen is knackered).

Your 950 must be something special, mine cracked it's screen after falling out of my pocket as I was crouched down next to my pool fishing something out of it, around 4 inches of height and one giant diagonal crack formed. Luckily replacing it was easy enough.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Chiming in about switching from Windows Phone/Mobile to Android. I used Android from 2010 to 2012 when I switched to a Nokia Lumia 800. To this day, it's the most buttery smooth device I've used, including Apple devices and Google's Pixel.

I then went on to the HTC 8X for 18 months before losing my mind and getting a 2013 Moto G for £90.

Whatever your reservations about jumping ship, you can probably rest assured that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. There are a lot of terrible Android phones out there but at almost every price segment there's a decent or excellent device.

I've used Windows 10 Mobile as well, and it's embarrassing how far behind it's fallen. At this point I don't see how anyone could prefer Windows phones to the competition, the general aesthetic aside.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

^^ I still LOVE Windows Phone tile UI but today is hard to justify using WP unless you never do banking or use social apps.

RVProfootballer posted:

Nokia isn't really Nokia anymore, and you'd be foolish to jump on a brand new company's first foray into Android, when established companies like LG and Samsung have such a hard time being not poo poo already

My dad got a new phone and got a Nokia 3, the low-end in the new era. Let me tell you, it's made in china like every phone and it is designed in Finland by the old company. Sure, Nokia is now a property of a bigger one much like Motorola with Lenovo but the Nokia 3 is fantastic for a 150€ phone. It also runs stock android, no skins and it recieves fast updates from google. In fact, having the Nokia 3 on my hands reminded of my 925 wich my mom is using right now. It oozes Lumia's design when you get to touch one, and it only gets better with the 5 and 6.

There are two Nokia 5 (slightly better model with fingerprint sensor for around 190€) at my job already and they're nice too.

Hell, my main phone is an Huawei P9 since a year (the camera is amazing) and my 640XL is still my backup. I'm sure that I'll try a Nokia some day looking at their great start on android.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 8, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I occasionally think about switching, but I genuinely cannot think of any apps that I personally am missing, bar the Sonic 1 & 2 remakes, and now I've managed to save a Blackberry Leap from the drawer full of phones at work and got the Play Store working I can use any apps I want with wild abandon, which so far is basically none. I tried Outlook and Groove, but I didn't find them quite as smooth an experience as in Windows. Also myTube is the prettiest and slickest YouTube app by far.

What baffles me is that the last two phones, the Elite X3 and the new Acer, are way too expensive; if I could get a nice new refreshed model with a solid casing and moderate specs for like £250 then I'd buy it, but that the only new game in town goes for £450 - £700 is insane. It's not just Microsoft who make baffling decisions with Windows Mobile.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What baffles me is that the last two phones, the Elite X3 and the new Acer, are way too expensive; if I could get a nice new refreshed model with a solid casing and moderate specs for like £250 then I'd buy it, but that the only new game in town goes for £450 - £700 is insane. It's not just Microsoft who make baffling decisions with Windows Mobile.

The OEMs/ODMs/Carriers/MS don't care about W10M when they are moving WinPho units in the thousands and Android or iOS units in the hundreds of millions.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
My wife got a new iPhone so I finally gave up the ghost and took her 6 as mine. I've been on WP since the HTC Surround so it's a bit of a culture shock. The WP tiles and contacts hub are leagues better than they are on IOS. However, iPhone beats my old Nokia in literally every other category. Having apps that actually work is an experience.

It's dead. If you're thinking about switching, you may as well.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I have a Moto G5 Plus that treats me well, and I browse this thread for nostalgia. Oddly enough, my Lumia 950 is having all the awful problems you all are describing, but my Samsung Ativ S Neo is still very much alive & kicking. I miss the WP interface every day.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My 950 seems to be stuck in landscape mode. 😫

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I got tired of my 950 being glitchy and the disappearing app support, so back in march I bought an OnePlus 3T, and haven't regretted it one bit.

If anyone else misses the tiles from their old Windows Phone/Mobile, and has moved to Android, I've had a pretty good experience with the SquareHome 2 launcher. Has some limited LiveTile-esque support.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ss.squarehome2&hl=en

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Hey gang, is there any way to have Cortana read texts over Bluetooth on Android the way it does on windows phone? And if not Cortana, a free app.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
That new Iphone has a wireless charging guys, check it out. Also you can make a turd talk with your mouth.

See y'all l8r, I'm off to hang with the cool kids, they have AR and the gross invasion of privacy that is 3D face-unlock.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Mr Funkface posted:

That new Iphone has a wireless charging guys, check it out. Also you can make a turd talk with your mouth.

See y'all l8r, I'm off to hang with the cool kids, they have AR and the gross invasion of privacy that is 3D face-unlock.

Well, we could talk about the cool new Windows Phone instead but....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Even I am moving on as of tomorrow to an Xperia, as the screen on my 950 is showing its age. Also I discovered Launcher 10, which recreates the Windows home screen so well that it immediately sealed the deal.

I'm still interested in Microsoft's direction with Windows 10 on mobile - getting the full desktop version on ARM, creating a UI that scales from mobile to augmented reality and makes mobile PC an actual reality, but the pace they're going at is just not good enough.

An Xperia with a Windows interface and more apps is pretty much my dream device, and now I can basically have it. :shrug: It's a shame, but that's the way they've let things slide. I knew I couldn't hang on forever, but I'll still be taking an interest in any future developments, whenever they decide to make them happen.