Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Paladinus posted:

She dated Clevin irl?

80% of men are Clevin, so it's likely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
SFP being quasi-autobiographical would explain a lot

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
remember

Oxxidation posted:

Reach Clevin through violence.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Typical Pubbie posted:

SFP being quasi-autobiographical would explain a lot

She's going to find out Clevin's been a woman the whole time and decide that's fine.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
clevanne

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

80% of men are Clevin, so it's likely

We're still working on an enhanced version of the Clevin virus to convert the other 20%.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

let's go have a look at the comments sectio

cripes

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

let's go have a look at the comments sectio

cripes

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
*stands up dramatically* i'm clevin

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Wow.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
testes

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
over-rated imo

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Something's actually happening?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The eye.
The mouth.
The dog.
The eye.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The clevin.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Maybe Clevin's power is giving people horrible visions.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I "love" the 2nd to last panel (not including the broken ones). Allison wrapped up in a blanket while Clevin puts his jacket on, arm around her, kiss on the forehead. The strongest person in the world, prone to violence and anger, consistently portrayed as the passive almost meek girlfriend whenever Clevin is around.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
his name is clevin

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Bold move for this comic to wait years before revealing its strong female protagonist, Dog Smoking Two Cigarettes At Once.

Piell fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 1, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

super sweet best pal posted:

Something's actually happening?

It might be!

Mary is killing Patrick

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I hope nothing bad happens to Clevin.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I'm glad the Strong Female Protagonist finally has a man to take care of her. That's Clevin for ya, always saving the day ^_^

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Turns out she's been stuck in a virtual reality nightmare for weeks now. She was supposed to realise it earlier when Clevin showed up, because no real human being could be that bland and pointless.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I think the past few pages of halting I Love Your's have been to set up Clevin's gruesome murder :pray:

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

I think the past few pages of halting I Love Your's have been to set up Clevin's gruesome murder :pray:

Men in fridges would be a good turn on the usual. I'm disappointed, I got into this from the strong start that the OP talked up, and just haven't enjoyed any of it for a while. Is this a case of the author running out of story to tell, or what?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

Men in fridges would be a good turn on the usual. I'm disappointed, I got into this from the strong start that the OP talked up, and just haven't enjoyed any of it for a while. Is this a case of the author running out of story to tell, or what?

I think they got ambitious with the rape chapter. It's a really difficult topic. They didn't have the whole chapter written ahead of time, though, so they compensated for the bigness of the ideas they were trying to grapple with by writing a bunch of pages. Without good structure, everything fell apart and became stupid and bad. They blocked out all criticism. Now every chapter will be more of a formless blob of ever more half-assed ideas.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Wittgen posted:

They didn't have the whole chapter written ahead of time

Is this something they actually admitted to?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Wittgen posted:

Now every chapter will be more of a formless blob of ever more half-assed ideas.

aka clevin

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

Other people have said this and I agree: their Big Move was the conversation between Allison and Daniel (Cleaver) after his defeat, and everything after that has been much looser and stinky

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

There's also the gender-flipped "hero has a psychotic break and accidentally kills/seriously injures their Clevin" angle to consider, here.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Wittgen posted:

I think they got ambitious with the rape chapter. It's a really difficult topic. They didn't have the whole chapter written ahead of time, though, so they compensated for the bigness of the ideas they were trying to grapple with by writing a bunch of pages. Without good structure, everything fell apart and became stupid and bad. They blocked out all criticism. Now every chapter will be more of a formless blob of ever more half-assed ideas.

The rape chapter was turbo-garbage my man. "Rape is bad, but murder is good! As is torture." is a really hosed up moral to dance around and celebrate. Especially when chapters later your character is still jerking off the unhinged torture murderer and no one felt bad about the maybe innocent people that died.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Everyone is at least 80% not innocent. It's statistics.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
trash

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
wb avs. Try not to be too blatantly avs, it would be cool to keep you around for a while.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Nuebot posted:

The rape chapter was turbo-garbage my man. "Rape is bad, but murder is good! As is torture." is a really hosed up moral to dance around and celebrate. Especially when chapters later your character is still jerking off the unhinged torture murderer and no one felt bad about the maybe innocent people that died.

I don't disagree at all. I just think that wasn't their intention.They weren't trying to say rape is bad but torture and murder are good. They ended up saying that because they weren't trying to say anything at all. They had no thesis statement.

If super powers were real, a rape victim/child soldier going on a vigilante murder spree is plausible. And that vigilante believing they are in the right also makes sense. Unfortunately, they forgot the part where that character's point of view should be part of a larger story that is saying something less than morally reprehensible about the world.

TypicalPubbie, they didn't admit to it as far as I know. But the chapter took a couple of years to make. Also, a lot of the chapter is a series of disconnected conversations that don't really lead anywhere.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

So far the most consistent thesis seems to be 'having a consistent worldview is hard and most people get by trying to do what they consider right in a situation without considering broader implications'

Thing is, taking a step back seems to show 'this is probably not a good thing.'

I'm pretty done with webcomics, but I hope the author finds a story they actually want to tell coherently. More and more, it feels like serialization is a severe weakness in fiction, rather than a strength, because it tears down having a consistent theme.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Wittgen posted:

I don't disagree at all. I just think that wasn't their intention.They weren't trying to say rape is bad but torture and murder are good. They ended up saying that because they weren't trying to say anything at all. They had no thesis statement.

If super powers were real, a rape victim/child soldier going on a vigilante murder spree is plausible. And that vigilante believing they are in the right also makes sense. Unfortunately, they forgot the part where that character's point of view should be part of a larger story that is saying something less than morally reprehensible about the world.

This sounds plausible if not for the fact that in the aftermath of the Murderin' Mary arc the writer had every major supporting character come out in favor of what Mary did. The only dissenting viewpoints came from rapists or suspected rapists who were all summarily murdered. It's not completely coherent but there's definitely a moral position being pushed here...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Strong Female Protagonist: It's not completely coherent

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Typical Pubbie posted:

This sounds plausible if not for the fact that in the aftermath of the Murderin' Mary arc the writer had every major supporting character come out in favor of what Mary did. The only dissenting viewpoints came from rapists or suspected rapists who were all summarily murdered. It's not completely coherent but there's definitely a moral position being pushed here...

This is still a bizarre reading of the comic. Alison's own voice is a dissenting one - she ultimately rejects Mary's way of doing things by trying to stop her.

The whole arc ends with Alison trying to bring her friend to justice (she tells the authorities about her, chases her down, and then tries to convince her to turn herself in - she was outsmarted but that's not because she didn't try.) Then there's the dumb Uber-for-rape-victims thing, which closes off the chapter and is so obviously the story's way to give Alison a third option between ignoring the problem of rape culture and Mary's ultraviolent response. Reinventing 911 is meant to be a moment of cleverness in which Alison cuts the gordian knot.

The arc is dumb and incompetent but it's not trying to say what you're suggesting here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

We've been all over this but I still feel like Allison treats Mary's tortures and killings really softly (both in terms of her words and her actions) and every conversation she has on the topic up to the dam basically justifies Mary, the only objector is (mentioned earlier) a bad raper man and is murdered.

• Locked thread