Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Due to how the damage lines up, bodyshots with the Kar are really bad. It's only slightly fewer shots to kill, which is more than made up for by the slower fire rate.

Where the Kar shines is when you're hitting heads, because the difference between "1 shot" and "more than one shot" is absolutely enormous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Dyz posted:

I'm serious. You can tap someone twice in the head with the M16 about as fast as a SR and its better against moving targets.

The SKS works better than the M16 in my experience, though both are hard to use with 8x scopes.

ShadowMar posted:

i will never understand how i can pump a dude with 20 good silenced AR shots, not get a kill and then have the guy kill me in one shot with an UMP while wearing a lvl 2 helmet and lvl 3 armor at full HP. like, i usually see deaths as a learning experience but i don't legitimately understand what the gently caress happened there unless it was some insane lag and he actually shot me several times and i desperately wish i'd been recording it.

I re-watch all my "bullshit what the gently caress" moments to see what actually happened when I'm feeling tilted, here's the split for me:

- 50% it's obvious I straight up just lost the fight, usually they get a headshot that I don't notice when it happens (because I'm too busy yelling WHAT THE gently caress HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE) and I'm wearing level1/2 helmets OR, more often, I'm already hurt and don't notice so they drop me super fast. When it feels like I've hit someone a million times the replay usually shows that they had juuust enough time to pop a first aid kit before I started hitting them again.
- 40% of the time my opponent must be almost dead and has just gotten super lucky, from closer inspection shots may have hit chest/limbs when they look like headshots at first glance
- 5% of the time can be explained by lag but I was probably hosed anyway, it was pure luck whoever won
- 5% of the time it's legit suss as hell and I can't explain it without making some big leaps of logic

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
shotguns are the most inconsistent for me.

the double barrel with a choke can snipe across military base buildings but the pump action in school loses to a p92.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think pistol kills are my favorite. The pistols just feel good in this game. I just hold vaguely in the upper torso area and click as fast as I can. I'm basically John wick

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This is what I get for playing with friends.

Edit: I hate them so.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
OP on the shame list...

code:
KDR       ADR       Wins      Top 10%   BRating   
myrmidongs        1.33      134.93    0         100       0
jgallemore        0.67      67.75     0         33.33     0
extra_crispy      1.25      92.14     11.11     44.44     0
gigapeon          0.5       76.6      0         12.5      0
weedbabygoku420   3.96      422.45    20        53.33     0

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

abigserve posted:

The SKS works better than the M16 in my experience, though both are hard to use with 8x scopes.

The only real advantage the M16 has over the SKS is that it has tracer rounds.

The M16 has less recoil per shot and allows you to squeeze off two shots before the recoil really applies meaning you can effectively two tap from range. A fully kitted SKS is really nice but an M16 requires little to no attachments to be more effective; plus it uses 5.56 over 7.62 makes leading slightly easier.

I watch quite a few streamers. The consensus from the ones grinding the leaderboard and doing well at it suggest the following optimal set up to face good players. A fully kitted AK set to auto/a fully kitted UMP set to auto for close and either a fully kitted SKS or an M16 for long range fights. The snipers have to many drawbacks at higher tiers of play because it's a lot less likely someone will stand still for you and it's easier to use an AR to land multiple reliable shots over one Yolo shot with a K98.

There's one specific streamer trying to grind the leaderboard who just runs double AR or an AR with an UMP for close.

Personally if you're not trying to grind out victories I suggest just mixing it up till you find what you like. If I get an SKS I use it as my close range weapon, that thing is a close range beast with an extended mag.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Dyz posted:

I'm serious. You can tap someone twice in the head with the M16 about as fast as a SR and its better against moving targets.

I'd take an M16 over an SKS and even a Kar98k any day.

e: Because I'm bad at headshots

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 2, 2017

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Rattling willy nilly with the SKS is bad; it has a rhythm that if you find it, you can get consistent. But it's good for sniping with low power sights, because the follow up is there faster, and keeping sights is easier.

M16 burst firing under 50m in 3rd person aim is a beast, though.

I'll take the SKS to a teammate that's good with it, but probably ditch it for something midrange in a solo game.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I'm so inconsistent in this game.

I'll have 2 to 5 games where I have 2 to 6 kills per game, then it all goes sideways and I have multiple games with 1 or 0 kills in a row. I don't know what the hell I'm doing different when I do well, I wish I could figure it out.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Hamelekim posted:

I'm so inconsistent in this game.

I'll have 2 to 5 games where I have 2 to 6 kills per game, then it all goes sideways and I have multiple games with 1 or 0 kills in a row. I don't know what the hell I'm doing different when I do well, I wish I could figure it out.

Like me, you may be having trouble midgame and not looting as well as you should be or picking bad positions in regards to circle and always chasing it. You need to start finding midrange, midgame fights at either a crate or heading towards gunfire, rather than getting away from it.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
land at military or school (or maybe crater/georgopol depending on flightpath), beg for mercy from the gods of RNG and be forged in the fires of combat.

hopefully they fix the loading in of weapons beacuse it sux poo poo landing and waiting for guns to maybe or maybe not load in.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
this just happened:

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i've been going for hot spots in solo almost exclusively lately and it's so much fun when you manage to survive and have a backpack filled to the brim with good poo poo

before getting sniped the instant you leave, obviously

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Some guy claims if you dc in 1st person server and reconnect, you can use 3rd person :v:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The buggy doesn't have a honk, worst vehicle by far now.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Apparently CTRL+M will mute the volume in the game. Saves so much time muting the game before I land, or when the plane flies over and is loud as hell.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Hamelekim posted:

Apparently CTRL+M will mute the volume in the game. Saves so much time muting the game before I land, or when the plane flies over and is loud as hell.

But but but... hearing is one of the most used senses in this game.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

mechaet posted:

But but but... hearing is one of the most used senses in this game.

Except all the super loud sounds in the game like the plane and the rushing air when you are parachuting. I mute that stuff all the time. But the shortcut makes life so much easier.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I hate to say it, but your computer volume is probably way too loud and you should turn it down before you damage your hearing. The plane is supposed to be loud enough to drown out the other game sounds, not so loud that you feel like you have to hit the mute button.

Unless you're cranking the volume up because you already hosed up your hearing and need it loud to hear the other game sounds, I guess.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Jabor posted:

I hate to say it, but your computer volume is probably way too loud and you should turn it down before you damage your hearing. The plane is supposed to be loud enough to drown out the other game sounds, not so loud that you feel like you have to hit the mute button.

Unless you're cranking the volume up because you already hosed up your hearing and need it loud to hear the other game sounds, I guess.

What? Speak up, I can't hear you.

Actually, in my case I blew out both eardrums in a diving accident so I use high-power headphones and a headphone amplifier.

The bonus for this game is that I can hear people at great distances, since the amplifier is mixing to a set sound level.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

1st person too hard. Claustrophobic. Do not want.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Ihmemies posted:

Shoot heads only with kar

:yeah:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Jabor posted:

This makes no sense of course but congrats for your hyper hearing I guess?

Do you think people mute the plane sound because it starts making their ear bleed or perhaps just because it's unpleasant and very loud compared to the rest of the in game audio?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Do you think people mute the plane sound because it starts making their ear bleed or perhaps just because it's unpleasant and very loud compared to the rest of the in game audio?

Its supposed to be very loud, its a gameplay choice. If it hurts your ears your volume is too high

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
The plane, boat or free fall sounds don't hurt my ears but they can be obnoxious if people are trying to talk over them. Being able to quickly mute isn't a big deal or tactical advantage, its a QoL boost though for sure.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

emanresu tnuocca posted:

What?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
My game sound is fine but I have a hard time hearing my friends as well as myself speak when we're in the starting plane, so I'm happy. The starting plane sound is in no way essential, so having the possibility to turn it off, for whatever reason, is good?

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 2, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Nah man it means you have grandpa ears and probably bad kdr.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
the plane is supposed to drown out everything inc your friends

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I need to mute so I don't have to hear all the kids saying the ol N word over and over in the plane.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I've literally never had public voice chat on. I was under the impression that's just what you do.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I don't know what changed for me within the last 24 hours but I'm getting door glitches like crazy all of a sudden. I walk up to a door, open it, sometimes it stays closed and I can't pass through and have to try several times, sometimes it teleports me to the other side and leaves the door half-open in mid-animation. Google tells me that this happens sometimes but it seems like it happens to me now at least once every game.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

odiv posted:

I've literally never had public voice chat on. I was under the impression that's just what you do.

Team voice still broadcasts public in close range so you can get info from a bleeding guy. Or hear an idiot cough if he's not using ptt

But yeah I don't bother it's not worth the slurs or the dumbass losers with their lame.burns when they kill you

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I hear a lot of Russian and Slavic sounding people saying seekya and blat but very little English.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Team voice still broadcasts public in close range so you can get info from a bleeding guy. Or hear an idiot cough if he's not using ptt

Oh poo poo really? I left Team open mic on after playing some duos the other day. I just assumed it wouldn't do anything if I was no longer in a squad.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Chas McGill posted:

I need to mute so I don't have to hear all the kids saying the ol N word over and over in the plane.

control + t mutes voice chat but leaves the game loud

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

The appropriate thing to do when you're in the plane is to tab out of the game, and tab back in whenever your teammates yell at you to jump.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Team voice still broadcasts public in close range so you can get info from a bleeding guy.

Are you sure about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I've been getting frame-rate drops and freezes when guns start going off near me or getting shot.
What settings can I tweak to stop this?

• Locked thread