Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Peel posted:

there must be a nazi-friendly youtube clone by now, they can all go there, i'm sure it'll be just as good

There are a few mentioned in the comments.

Speaking of the comments,

quote:

These are the actions of people who fundamentally do not believe in human freedom. They are not content with allowing people to choose for themselves, they have to impose a narrative on them. Or at least try. I suspect if I wanted to I could find lots of videos that were very offense to me, but I don't go looking for them. Everyone has that same ability. I don't look for Pro-ISIS, Pro-Islam content. I don't go looking for videos from Communists and Marxists. It doesn't interest me, but they should be allowed to make them. But the same is not offered to the other side.

Evil people who detest human freedom are indeed very powerful, but there are always ways around them, and if not a new platform will have to be created. I do however applaud YouTube for being transparent about their motives. The damage caused by the destroyers of civilization will take a long time to repair, but the peak of their power is at least over.

quote:

The worst part, it will all be done by algorithms. :/

In other words, if you are not a social justice warrior, your videos will be removed. Censorship = making YouTube safer for all. 👌

quote:

that poo poo is called censorship. that is suppression of opposition and destroys freedom of speech. but of course google only cares about these things when it favors them. calling the right fascist while using the fascists methods themselves. truely disgusting

quote:

They aren't even liberal moderators. Liberalism is about individual freedom. They are radical leftist. Trying to fight "fascism" with their own brand of totalitarianism . Hate speech= anything Alphabet Inc. disagrees with.

quote:

You people are totally outrageous, you're blatantly just going to use this to try and silence any Pro-Trump content.

quote:

They suspended Jordan Peterson's account today b/c he challenges the narrative. It's not about Pro-Trump at all, it's censorship of anything that challenges a specific agenda. Their is NO JUSTIFICATION for partnering with the ADL to gauge what is permissible. The ADL has become a partisan joke just like the ACLU.
This one has the only avatar that isn't a white dude.

quote:

The culling of your profits are about to begin. Stop lying...You mean to censor all "wrong think" = non liberal. ADL is a hate group on their own. If conservatives/libertarian, moderates, etc don't leave YouTube I'll be shocked.

YouTube has officially become a politically affiliated service that discriminates against non progressives & liberals. 
Spoke too soon, this one's a white lady.

quote:

Your motivations are so transparent. Your effort to silence opinions and "wrong-think" is disgusting. 

quote:

'When people search for sensitive keywords on YouTube, they will be redirected towards a playlist of curated YouTube videos that directly confront and debunk violent extremist messages.'

So basically brainwashing. 

quote:

The ADL is not a credible organization; they themselves are a "hate group" in that they attack others based on completely illogical reasons. They believe a cartoon frog is the bastion of "racism" and they recently put hits on actual credible journalists by intentionally mislabeling them and falsifying their involvement in politics and media in order to provoke violent attacks on them.

This move by Google is a major step towards censorship of alternate media which utilizes YouTube almost exclusively. There is no such thing as "hate speech" yet it's being touted as a reason for this anti free "speech" position.

The motive behind his is pretty clear: Google is taking orders from the likes of the broadcast media and political groups which aim to stop the advancement of alternative media.

quote:

Google/YouTube and it's partners are the new STASI. This will be used to silence and annoy many free voices while those pushing anti-american and anti-western sentiment will have free reign to continue to demoralize our society. Google/YouTube are betraying the intent for why they were created - to connect people and the battle of ideas.

quote:

Been reading 1984 again? YOU are why Trump was elected..... YOU and all that pull this kind of crap, censorship all 'dolled up' with PC speak.....

quote:

What Google means is that it's okay for the US government to engage in or support terrorism (as they have been doing in Syria and were doing in Iraq) but it's not okay for YouTube users to point out the truth. The next time the Washington establishment uses controlled demolition to destroy a building like WT7 or is caught discussing the overthrow of a foreign government (as Victoria Nuland did), we won't get to see the videos of the demolition or taped conversation - we will just have to accept the opinion of the bastards in Washington while they dumb US down on all the misdeeds they are conducting. 

quote:

Translation: We'll be taking down anything that disagrees with our globalist plans for world domination. Conservatives, freedom lovers and truth seekers beware. ISIS, gang recruitment vids and general degeneracy will still be available and actively promoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

the black husserl posted:

i work in that industry (kill me) and facebook/google are sincerely trying very hard to kick the nazis off their platforms

why? it aint ethics. its because companies like unilever are pulling millions of ad dollars off their networks because their ads are getting shown in front of nazi videos. nazis are not "brand friendly"

god bless...capitalism?

why isn't twitter trying

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
can some soft boy come in here and post about why this is bad, actually tia

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

why isn't twitter trying

they sorta kinda are but the truth is....twitter is such a lovely place to buy ads (as in, pay for media users are forced to see) that they aren't really motivated like Google/FB are, cause they have no profit to defend lol

twitter, however, is a GREAT place to advertise for free. mcdonalds got like $1,000,000 in media spend off this rick & morty stunt. suckers.

https://twitter.com/JustinRoiland/status/891521911460470784

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Al! posted:

can some soft boy come in here and post about why this is bad, actually tia

i mean, a world where capital wields sufficient power to decree "all other political expression can be monetized, but this one can't" is a world that bodes poorly for the left if it ever gets significant power

however, since for the foreseeable future that particular train done sailed, i'll gladly take this and run

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yeah, there's never been any money in left wing politics for all the obvious reasons. It's better to have your advocates not be driven by a profit motive anyway.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Gamers are the superior race

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/AnarchoBro96/status/892368318249578497

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

to be that intensely delusional must be awful

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Incidentally, Jordan Peterson got his youtube account suspended, so you're gonna hear a lot about him in the near future. If you want to get an idea of what he's about I'd recommend watching the Zero Books videos about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QFZWXtEwLw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FucMhEKKgc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGld3FbDY6s

https://twitter.com/sovietfuntime2/status/892465047045275653

Also he's Canadian.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

yeah perston is a real piece of poo poo so this is good news! the sooner he loses tenure and is forced onto wingnut welfare the better

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the internet is killing humanity and i'm glad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ze Pollack posted:

i mean, a world where capital wields sufficient power to decree "all other political expression can be monetized, but this one can't" is a world that bodes poorly for the left if it ever gets significant power

however, since for the foreseeable future that particular train done sailed, i'll gladly take this and run

At least the actual left is aware of this and usually don't rely entirely on for-profit platforms to spread their message, while the Nazis are nothing but indignant every single time they're rejected.

That said, I'm pretty sure the 'Gamer nazis' thing devolved into nerd-bashing pretty much immediately, there's a lot of messed up people vocal about playing video games but IIRC, video games are disproportionately popular among nonwhite youth, and the alt-right figureheads tend to turn on their own hobbies sooner or later. (see NoFap) Never trust anyone who's just looking for the next socially acceptable punching bag, because it'll be you sooner or later.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

why isn't twitter trying

because twitter is run by nazis

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i haven't paid much attn to peterson except i watched one video and holy poo poo girls and boys did he talk like a smug, pompous jackass and all around elitist.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i think he's trying to mimic christopher hitchens

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What specifically did he get banned for? I saw ppl bitching about it on Facebook but didn't Kno enough to make fun of tehm

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i think he's trying to mimic christopher hitchens

They all are.

StashAugustine posted:

What specifically did he get banned for? I saw ppl bitching about it on Facebook but didn't Kno enough to make fun of tehm

No apparent cause given, according to Peterson.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

otoh, you could probably sell some incredible scams if you bought facebook ads and targeted only people who LIKE cernovich's page

a guaranteed audience of suckers

hm.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

its me. the random guy on the internet that thinks he's got it all figured out as he masturbates to anime.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

the black husserl posted:

otoh, you could probably sell some incredible scams if you bought facebook ads and targeted only people who LIKE cernovich's page

a guaranteed audience of suckers

hm.

in previous generations, they were buying commemorative plates and stuff from the franklin mint, now they buy supplements and books about how to unleash your inner lemur or whatever

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

its me. the random guy on the internet that thinks he's got it all figured out as he masturbates to anime.

:same:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Azathoth posted:

in previous generations, they were buying commemorative plates and stuff from the franklin mint, now they buy supplements and books about how to unleash your inner lemur or whatever

Alex Jones and Fox News are already directly hooked up to an entire industry of snake oil and grifting.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Inescapable Duck posted:

At least the actual left is aware of this and usually don't rely entirely on for-profit platforms to spread their message, while the Nazis are nothing but indignant every single time they're rejected.

That said, I'm pretty sure the 'Gamer nazis' thing devolved into nerd-bashing pretty much immediately, there's a lot of messed up people vocal about playing video games but IIRC, video games are disproportionately popular among nonwhite youth, and the alt-right figureheads tend to turn on their own hobbies sooner or later. (see NoFap) Never trust anyone who's just looking for the next socially acceptable punching bag, because it'll be you sooner or later.

in fact women are more likely to play video games than men at this point iirc

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

why isn't twitter trying

Facebook and Google own around two thirds of the online ad marketplace, and 90% of the sector's growth. Aside from a few of China-centric marketplaces, none of their competitors have more than a 3% share. Facebook and Google's primary business is ad brokerage. So when advertisers complain and threaten to pull out, it threatens the entire company.

Twitter still hasn't figured out their business model or how to make money. Perhaps they should reel in the bigots, but they have no idea if or how it translates into money. There's no solid business case for it because they have no solid business plan. Twitter is a trash fire of a social media platform.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Al! posted:

in fact women are more likely to play video games than men at this point iirc

yup

but, as the people those thirty years worth of marketing campaigns created can assure you, the games women play more of don't really count, because of reasons

(there is definitely an appreciable difference in design philosophy between most phone games and most console/pc video games. however, I'm hard-pressed to say no YOUR thin layer of strategy obscuring a steady treadmill of rewards to maximize the illusion of progress isn't a REAL thin layer of strategy obscuring a steady treadmill of rewards to maximize the illusion of progress.)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Looks like the Alt Right got It's Going Down's Patreon also taken away

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

this really is all canadas fault. they are jelly

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ze Pollack posted:

yup

but, as the people those thirty years worth of marketing campaigns created can assure you, the games women play more of don't really count, because of reasons

(there is definitely an appreciable difference in design philosophy between most phone games and most console/pc video games. however, I'm hard-pressed to say no YOUR thin layer of strategy obscuring a steady treadmill of rewards to maximize the illusion of progress isn't a REAL thin layer of strategy obscuring a steady treadmill of rewards to maximize the illusion of progress.)

It's hard to argue that a lot of phone games aren't glorified slot machines. A lot are literally made by the same people with the same design philosophy. It's getting fat at McDonald's vs getting fat at gourmet (or ethnic) restaurants.

But either way, it makes gamers easy targets, even if they have extremely little societal influence. A lot of games are trash and/or trashy, sure, but there's a huge sense of frustration that gamers don't really get much input on major releases, which tend to badly imitate other pop culture; there's nothing they don't do that movies, TV and anime didn't do first besides let you press buttons to do things. Hence independently made games tend to be hugely more diverse and cater to different audiences, often ones that the mainstream has flat out abandoned or underserved.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Admiral Ray posted:

to be that intensely delusional must be awful

tbf socrates was also a smug as poo poo pedo who used pedantic quibbling and disingenuous arguments until people walked away and he claimed victory, so I can see some parallels.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the year is 4017 and history books talk about the great philosopher Mike Cernovich

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
lmao if you think there will be books about people in 4017

there won't be books in 4017

any books after 3017 won't refer at all to people

there won't be people to read books in 3017

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Coolness Averted posted:

tbf socrates was also a smug as poo poo pedo who used pedantic quibbling and disingenuous arguments until people walked away and he claimed victory, so I can see some parallels.

excuse me, he was actually engaging in eromenos which was socially acceptable and a healthy form of bonding between an adult male and a teenage boy, so if you were to draw a modern parallel it would be ephebophilia which -excuse me one second-
*guzzles hemlock*

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
also lol well played firefox,

well played :eng101:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's hard to argue that a lot of phone games aren't glorified slot machines. A lot are literally made by the same people with the same design philosophy. It's getting fat at McDonald's vs getting fat at gourmet (or ethnic) restaurants.

don't tell anyone: the same principle applies to any shooter made in the last five years

your reward for your time investment in the 'main game' is to pull the lever on the slot machine. sure hope this loot crate has the thing I want this week!

only difference between the slot machines is ond makes you play a glorified version of connect four between pulls, and one makes you play a glorified version of Click The Bad Guy between pulls.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

the only real game is dota

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Coolness Averted posted:

yeah but at least he got caught up in the heady politics of the day by pointing out everyone else sucked too and then actually drank his poison because he believed in the civics of it, even if he though the people were dumb as hell

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

like socrates probably legit sucked to talk to because he obviously didn't know how to have a regular conversation without making it about Bigger Things but drat he knew how to turn the screws in a conversation.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The only Greek philosopher worth venerating today was Diogenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

this happened a while ago but

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/news/2016/04/02/tense-anti-mosque-protest-draws-armed-demonstrators-in-south-dallas

lmao loving owned