Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivisionPost posted:

I can't remember exactly, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people felt that way about the MLK episode. But that's the thing: aiming to not be "problematic" can be a good thing, especially if it leads you to do your research, talk to people who aren't you, get their feelings, etcetera. But with certain subjects, no matter who you are, you can't avoid it. The only way you can really advance those conversations is through trial and error. That's why when I raise an objection to art on PC grounds, I try to remain civil about it, because there's always the possibility that fans of the work or even the artist just don't know any better. And they'll be more open to learning if you don't, you know, imply that you're writing them off as loving assholes.

That said, "civil" is kind of a dirty word if you're a member of an aggrieved party, since it's often code for "tell me quietly so it's easier for me to ignore you, <racial/sexual expletive of choice>." And there's always the matter of it being increasingly hard to be polite when you've been talking about the same drat thing for x amount of years and nobody seems to be listening. So I try not to hold anger against aggrieved parties. (People with no cultural dog in the fight, though? gently caress 'em.)

Anyway, point is, it doesn't matter much to me if MacGruder's problematic or not, because I've come to realize that being the most woke is a sucker's game. There are always complications, but if you treat people right, recognize and reject those who act maliciously, and seem to be coming from an overall good place, that's usually enough for me. I think that's the case for MacGruder, and I think that's also the case for Benioff and Weiss. The key difference between them is that I think MacGruder's project is way, way, WAY more interesting.

God this is a good post. And you're absolutely right, of course. Criticizing him for not being perfect in his messaging is extremely loving petty, and I don't even really have a dog in the fight.

[Edit: I know it wasn't your intent but I feel like a total rear end in a top hat now]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

GreenNight posted:

Just do this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwar_series

I want to see Hitler and Stalin gently caress up some aliens.

I was disappointed that those books. The historical figures are barely in it. If you show me a cover of Einstein in a loving fighter jet, then your book better have Einstein in a loving fighter jet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I feel ya, I went to go see Reign of Fire based on its movie poster and not one dragon fights one helicopter.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

I feel ya, I went to go see Reign of Fire based on its movie poster and not one dragon fights one helicopter.

To this day Reign of Fire is the one movie I truly regret not walking out of the theater on.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
To facilitate its descent into being a warmed-over King of Queens retread, Kevin Can Wait will be killing off Kevin's wife, played by Erinn Hayes. Leah Remini will take the female lead role.

In happier news, Erinn Hayes no longer has to live in Long Island.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The MLK episode of Boondocks was especially bad because the episode itself called out Apple using him in their ads and then turned around and did the exact same thing.

Also a dude who has built his entire career and personality around anime and video games talking down to other people about their entertainment choices is some real funny poo poo, especially since his whole "BET is just women shaking their butts in music videos" goof was not only hackish but objectively untrue.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

lelandjs posted:

God this is a good post. And you're absolutely right, of course. Criticizing him for not being perfect in his messaging is extremely loving petty, and I don't even really have a dog in the fight.

[Edit: I know it wasn't your intent but I feel like a total rear end in a top hat now]

You shouldn't! If you're not in the aggrieved party, there's a difference between "I'm a little uncomfortable with how MacGruder did x, y, z" and "gently caress AARON MACGRUDER AND gently caress THE loving BOONDOCKS! I bury those problematic cock-a-roaches!" The point of progressivism is to progress, and you can't do that if you stay silent. Maybe you get shouted down, but maybe you get support, or maybe you even get a thoughtful counterpoint that causes you to reassess. (Or maybe you get something like the recent clusterfuck in CineD's trailer thread, which I refuse to go into because that might allow the virus to spread.) Either way, there's only one sure thing if everyone stays silent, and that's nobody learning anything.

No, the problem is when you—the general "you," not you in particular—talk to people in bad faith. I'll tell you all a story that I may or may not regret: Less than a year ago I submitted a review of The Accountant for the site I write for. I'm on the mild end of the spectrum, so I figured I could provide an interesting, vital perspective on this movie with a main character who's also on the mild end of the spectrum. Meanwhile, autistic Twitter was pissed at the movie because there was a piece going around that confirmed that Autism Speaks was consulted during the production, and they're kind of, uh, horrible. But I gave it a chance, I ended up loving the poo poo out of it, and I said as much in my review.

My autistic friends, who were also wary of the movie, loved the piece. A friend of a friend asked me if I was concerned about autistic characters being played by neurotypical actors, and while I didn't agree with him, I thought it was an interesting angle, and I gave him a respectful response that seemed to satisfy him.

Then somebody else picked up the site's tweet about the review and signal boosted it with content warnings for ableist language. It didn't blow up or anything, but I got a handful of people bitching among themselves about the review WHILE I WAS STILL TAGGED IN THE CONVO. They didn't even have the decency to subtweet me. Ever been accused of internalized ableism as if you weren't in the room, so to speak? Whether or not it's accurate, it fucks with you pretty hard. I couldn't respond to anyone that day because anything I had to say would have almost certainly blown back on the site; I was really hurt.

I learned precisely one thing from that experience: I'll never refer to anyone on the spectrum as "high/low-functioning" ever again. I can see how it's potentially hurtful to anyone on the more moderate-severe ends of the spectrum (or anyone who might know such people). Were there other problems with that review? I don't know. I hope I learn more as I go along. But I don't have any opportunity to get ahead of that curve because nobody at the time had the guts to tell me, directly, "Hey, this really hurt me and this is why." The only other thing I've gotten was bitter enough to whine about it on a dead internet comedy forum.

My point is, you should speak up if something makes you uncomfortable; it's how we learn on either end. But you should never assume bad faith unless you have a reason to (<cough>SORKIN<cough>), because that restricts how much we can get out of it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
One time I talked about how, from a buddhist perspective, "hatred" could be considered an illness. Oh god, I got a bunch of people telling my that saying by saying that, I'm "comparing" people with mental illness to hateful terrorists. I'm never going to talk about anything related to mental illness again. A guy got legit mad that, because he has an anxiety disorder, I was comparing him to a terrorist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I try to avoid arguing on the internet anymore....except in the GoT thread :twisted:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I love every single second of Black Jesus and wish that would run forever.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I assume the shot of Ted and Victoria holding hands driving to the sunset would have been accompanied by voice over saying that's how I met your mother if the show didn't get another season?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Guy Mann posted:

Also a dude who has built his entire career and personality around anime and video games talking down to other people about their entertainment choices is some real funny poo poo, especially since his whole "BET is just women shaking their butts in music videos" goof was not only hackish but objectively untrue.

Are you talking about how every time grandpa is watching tv it's that music video where it's just two butts twerking and a guy shouting BOOTY BUTT BOOTY BUTT BOOTY BUTT CHEEKS?

Because I cannot stop laughing at that. My dad used to watch something that was pretty much literally just that on univision or some other spanish language channel every weekend.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=407GVB88b60

Netflix's upcoming series about the FBI beginning to tackle and figure out how to catch serial killers. It's a cool premise, but I hope it's not full of pop psych. Premieres in October.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

IRQ posted:

What if Einstein built a time machine and used it to kill young Hitler, but then WWII just got started by Stalin instead?

A Red Alert show would be great :ussr:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Man himym just becomes a mess during the whole Kevin Nora part with Robin and Barney wanting to get back together and then everyone breaks up and Ted immediately goes for the I Love You but it's fine because Barney's dating that stripper
Whenever I see Kevin and Nora in the same sentence my mind automatically goes to The Leftovers and I get confused.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

To facilitate its descent into being a warmed-over King of Queens retread, Kevin Can Wait will be killing off Kevin's wife, played by Erinn Hayes. Leah Remini will take the female lead role.

In happier news, Erinn Hayes no longer has to live in Long Island.

That sounds like a really great way to make your sitcom loving depressing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Closer is an amazing movie and even more amazing play. Portman was great in it, though imho she was nowhere near as good as Julia Roberts, Jude Law or mothafuckin' Clive Owen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHBc7lIgmlY :nws:

God drat it is the best movie.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

IRQ posted:

Are you talking about how every time grandpa is watching tv it's that music video where it's just two butts twerking and a guy shouting BOOTY BUTT BOOTY BUTT BOOTY BUTT CHEEKS?

Because I cannot stop laughing at that. My dad used to watch something that was pretty much literally just that on univision or some other spanish language channel every weekend.

I know this song!

He also did an episode where Huey marathon watched BET for days to see if it would make him go insane.

He also did a two part episode about BET and how it's owners hate black people where they gave Uncle Ruckus a show.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

muscles like this! posted:

That sounds like a really great way to make your sitcom loving depressing.

Mom did it, and it was loving depressing, but that show is depression and alcoholism: the comedy so it worked.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does anyone know anything about Resurrection Ertugrul, the 179 episode Turkish show about the life of a 13th century Turkish hero. Is it at all good? I have no idea of the quality of Turkish TV. It's on Netflix.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Does anyone know anything about Resurrection Ertugrul, the 179 episode Turkish show about the life of a 13th century Turkish hero. Is it at all good? I have no idea of the quality of Turkish TV. It's on Netflix.

no but that sounds interesting enough to blind watch, give us a trip report

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just wrapped up Supernatural season 5. I'm really glad I gave this show a second chance because that was a fantastic series finale.

Yes, I know it's still going but it's clearly where the creators were going to originally end the show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

precision posted:

no but that sounds interesting enough to blind watch, give us a trip report

After Narcos came out Netflix also added a Colombian Escobar biopic series that was like 150 episodes. It was not good, so I'm skeptical of massively long foreign TV series.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: Sherlock is massively short.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=407GVB88b60

Netflix's upcoming series about the FBI beginning to tackle and figure out how to catch serial killers. It's a cool premise, but I hope it's not full of pop psych. Premieres in October.

This looks good. Subject matter is 100% my jam, and I love Johnathan Groff.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fun fact: Clive Owen originated the role of Dan (Law's character) on stage. Must have been fun to play someone so different in the same story.

Ciarin Hinds was Larry in that original production. It must have been amazing.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Rhyno posted:

I just wrapped up Supernatural season 5. I'm really glad I gave this show a second chance because that was a fantastic series finale.

Yes, I know it's still going but it's clearly where the creators were going to originally end the show.

Yep. It's real clear that Eric Kripke wanted to finish it there until CW stepped in late in the game. I think it was pretty late in production that they decided actually they want to renew it, but they already had their ending and it needed awkward retooling.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Snak posted:

Counterpoint: Sherlock is massively short.
But it feels just as long.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, it has some truly AMAZING episodes post season 5, but nothing captures the season long narrative like 5 did.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

late on this but hahaha

"easily distracted by brown skin"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

late on this but hahaha

"easily distracted by brown skin"

You never saw docfuture's stuff before? His whole channel is great

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

I looked up the wiki since I'm interested in that guy (if its the same show we're talking about Suleiman the Magnificient)

The ep details runs like a typical soap opera, which is incredibly disappointing considering how much crazy poo poo was happening, like that all out war between Turkey and Iran (also at a highpoint at the time), its push into India, the battle of Vienna, him going all hardcore on his own sons, etc.

edit:

precision posted:

You never saw docfuture's stuff before? His whole channel is great

nah looking forward to getting into it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I forgot how baaaad season 9 of himym was

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

How did I not know until just now that a new Wet Hot American Summer show is coming on Netflix this Friday?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I knew they were doing a sequel, but not that it was this Friday!

Welp I'll have to start it next week. Pride's this weekend, damnit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ShakeZula posted:

How did I not know until just now that a new Wet Hot American Summer show is coming on Netflix this Friday?

So soon? Well got dang. That's super.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

Because Netflix sucks at marketing its new shows.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress I could have sworn it was the 11th whaaaaaat

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

Because Netflix sucks at marketing its new shows.

Yeah I only knew because I follow the WHAS twitter (and a few comedy places linked the trailer).

I have the weekend to myself so this is at the top of the list I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched the first season of Vikings. I liked it, but I liked the first part where it was about Vikings killing Christians a lot more than the second half about viking politics.

How do later seasons break down on that?

• Locked thread