Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, that's my point--there is also an Emperor's Children strategem, visible in the French scan ("Strategem Emperor's Children"). Endless Cacophony isn't the EC strategem, just a Slaanesh-specific one. I suspect we'll see 3 more of those.

Oh, that's neat. It's not super-powerful, but I like that you can wait until you lose a wound to activate it.

Yeah pointed this out eariler.

While Iron Warriors are similar to the Fists. That is kind of the point of them and why they hated the Fists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

I still remember when a cyclist here got concussed by an angry goose that flew up and knocked them off the bike.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Reiver chat, my edgelords continue to be amazingly deadly. Today claimed 2 tactical squads, an Assault squad and Captain in one game with minimal causalities in return.

Fingers crossed they get access to Special Ammo come Deathwatch Codex. Hellfire Heavy Bolt Pistols anyone? :getin:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Black_Nexus posted:

I still remember when a cyclist here got concussed by an angry goose that flew up and knocked them off the bike.

And then there was that time Fabio headbutted a goose to death on a rollercoaster.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

Reiver chat, my edgelords continue to be amazingly deadly. Today claimed 2 tactical squads, an Assault squad and Captain in one game with minimal causalities in return.

Fingers crossed they get access to Special Ammo come Deathwatch Codex. Hellfire Heavy Bolt Pistols anyone? :getin:

So you're going combat knives then?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Pendent posted:

So you're going combat knives then?

Ten man squad so yes. Gonna grab some more at a later date for some 5-man Bullpup objective grabbers.

Right now I just want my Apothecary and some sniper Intercessors, then maybe I can stop bloating this army out and get it done for AoP.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Do you think going with the squad-splitting for Primaris units is worth it? It seems like it'll heavily benefit deep strike or infiltrate heavy armies due to letting you basically sideline two units for the price of one, but losing the leadership bonus and attacks of a sergeant is annoying and it forces you to commit to the same wargear for both units.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Bee posted:

Do you think going with the squad-splitting for Primaris units is worth it? It seems like it'll heavily benefit deep strike or infiltrate heavy armies due to letting you basically sideline two units for the price of one, but losing the leadership bonus and attacks of a sergeant is annoying and it forces you to commit to the same wargear for both units.

As long as it isn't a kill point mission, why not? Plus you can take two auxiliary grenade launchers per squad, and it is the only way you are going to shoot both of them.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

LordAba posted:

As long as it isn't a kill point mission, why not? Plus you can take two auxiliary grenade launchers per squad, and it is the only way you are going to shoot both of them.

That's true. I'm mostly just wondering what the Combat Squads option adds that just deploying as two 5-man squads doesn't. Is it the flexibility of being able to just decide to use MSU or not during deployment instead of listbuilding?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Flexibility, potentially gets around limited forge org slots. Basically the same advantages nits always had.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
The primary advantage is choosing to not combat squad if doing so would mean you have more units deploying than your opponent.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
That makes sense. I think it'd be cool as a mid-fight choice, but I can also see why that'd get confusing and irritating.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

That makes sense. I think it'd be cool as a mid-fight choice, but I can also see why that'd get confusing and irritating.

There is actually a strategem in the new codex that allows you to split up into combat squads mid game.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Pendent posted:

There is actually a strategem in the new codex that allows you to split up into combat squads mid game.

Okay, that is awesome. I'm imagining a squad of Reivers having an enemy unit basically finished, so half split off to chase new targets while the other half finishes off that poor batch of Fire Warriors. Or maybe your Intercessors are stuck in melee, so rather than fall back and lose all your shots half split off to rush the objective for last-minute point scoring.

Another unit comp question. Would including Nurgle demons likely deny you Death Guard stratagems when the codex hits? What if you summon them midway through the battle? Does that cause your detachment to change from Death Guard to Nurgle?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Black_Nexus posted:

I will punch a goose in the loving face. Turns out being a hollow boned fat duck doesn't really help against a well placed kick.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Bee posted:

Okay, that is awesome. I'm imagining a squad of Reivers having an enemy unit basically finished, so half split off to chase new targets while the other half finishes off that poor batch of Fire Warriors. Or maybe your Intercessors are stuck in melee, so rather than fall back and lose all your shots half split off to rush the objective for last-minute point scoring.

Another unit comp question. Would including Nurgle demons likely deny you Death Guard stratagems when the codex hits? What if you summon them midway through the battle? Does that cause your detachment to change from Death Guard to Nurgle?

Stratagems in the space marine codex don't care if you have a split detachment, only your chapter tactic cares. And you can have 1 detachment of Iron Hands and 1 detachment of guard, and get to use your chapter tactic as long as every model in the Iron Hands detachment is Iron Hands.

So including daemons in a Death Guard detachment will prevent you from using their legion tactics, but not stratagems. And if the daemons are a different detachment then you get your tactics.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So I just noticed that in the generic warlord traits it only requires the warlord to be an Adeptus Astartes character. Can someone explain to me why this would not apply to Blood Angels?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pendent posted:

So I just noticed that in the generic warlord traits it only requires the warlord to be an Adeptus Astartes character. Can someone explain to me why this would not apply to Blood Angels?

It does apply to Blood Angels.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress that's incredible. I CAN REROLL CHARGES WITH MY WARLORD.

E: Related question-
My Sanguinary Guard have wargear that gives -1 LD. Would that stack with the Reivers ability that does the same thing (and potentially the warlord trait as well)?

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

The Bee posted:

If it is like AOS, which is does seem like for the force comp. You don't count unsummoned units when picking your army, they simply are not there. So summoned units wouldn't do anything.

If I had to guess though, you won't be able to take nurgle daemons in a death guard detachment once their book hits(Unless they roll the nurgle daemons into it, which I guess they could? It's hard to tell)

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Pendent posted:

Holy gently caress that's incredible. I CAN REROLL CHARGES WITH MY WARLORD.

E: Related question-
My Sanguinary Guard have wargear that gives -1 LD. Would that stack with the Reivers ability that does the same thing (and potentially the warlord trait as well)?

Sons of the Primarchs(Pg. 194 space marine codex)

Note that other space marine chapters such as the blood angels and space wolves blah blah blah...Cannot make use of any of the rules or abilities listed in this section, and instead have their own rules.

So no, I don't think you can use the warlord abilites from there

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Get close to the explosion.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there a goon 40k Discord server or something?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Yep, agreed. I figured there would be something like that but had a hard time finding the rule. I only have an epub and the only reader for it is my phone. Thanks!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Black_Nexus posted:

If it is like AOS, which is does seem like for the force comp. You don't count unsummoned units when picking your army, they simply are not there. So summoned units wouldn't do anything.

If I had to guess though, you won't be able to take nurgle daemons in a death guard detachment once their book hits(Unless they roll the nurgle daemons into it, which I guess they could? It's hard to tell)

So I can't bring them in a Death Guard detachment, but they're fine if summoned after the fact or taken as their own supplement? That seems fair to me, especially with Patrol at the least being easy to get.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

The Bee posted:

So I can't bring them in a Death Guard detachment, but they're fine if summoned after the fact or taken as their own supplement? That seems fair to me, especially with Patrol at the least being easy to get.

I think that is how it works, because you can bring any chaos stuff in other detachments. There is no limit unless it is limited by a special chapter or rules thing. Like the chapter rules for the space marines or the Admec

And the detachments don't effect each other for limits, so yeah I am pretty sure it works

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

So I really enjoyed painting a Marine for the Challenge (which I'm going to post up this weekend when I get the basing finished and build a lightbox), and now I'm thinking of shelving my Orks until their actual Codex comes out and building some bigmars to tootle around with.

Given that I can get it for a price, is there anything obviously wrong with grabbing a set of the Dark Imperium half and a few other models that look fun to end up at something like :

Captain in Gravis
2 x LT
Ancient
10 x Intercessor
10 x Reiver
10 x Hellblaster
3 (or more if I can find them cheap) Inceptors

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Argh, my list is 2001 points and the way they do points and upgrades in this edition (with entire squads usually getting the wargear change) it makes it hard to make an adjustment to fix it.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

GreenMarine posted:

Argh, my list is 2001 points and the way they do points and upgrades in this edition (with entire squads usually getting the wargear change) it makes it hard to make an adjustment to fix it.

Have you considered lying?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
With the way this edition organizes points, no one would be able to tell. But I found a fix. I had 1 too many HQs anyway.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

GreenMarine posted:

Someone forgot his ABCs.

A shameful Goon.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
When I was a kid I would be one point over and just have a marine deploy without his gun :human being:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
So I'm dumb, and decided I want to build a Tau army. I also decided I didn't want to be stereotypically weeb about it and spam giant robots all day. So, as somebody who has not actually played Tau yet, how'd I do putting together a 2k point list?

+++ Tau Experiment rev 2 (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [115 PL, 1999pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [115 PL, 1999pts] ++

+ HQ [13 PL, 266pts] +

Cadre Fireblade [3 PL, 62pts]: Markerlight [3pts], 2x MV7 Marker Drone [20pts]

Cadre Fireblade [3 PL, 62pts]: Markerlight [3pts], 2x MV7 Marker Drone [20pts]

Commander [7 PL, 142pts]: 2x Burst cannon [20pts], Drone controller [5pts], Fusion blaster [21pts], 2x MV7 Marker Drone [20pts]

+ Troops [24 PL, 360pts] +

Breacher Team [6 PL, 90pts]: 9x Fire Warrior [72pts], Fire Warrior Shas'ui [8pts], MV7 Marker Drone [10pts]

Strike Team [6 PL, 90pts]: MV7 Marker Drone [10pts]
Fire Warrior Shas'ui [8pts]: Pulse rifle
9x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle [72pts]

+ Elites [33 PL, 531pts] +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [12 PL, 164pts]: Homing beacon [20pts]
3x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Advanced targeting system [114pts]: 3x Advanced targeting system [24pts], 3x Burst cannon [30pts]
Stealth Shas'vre [30pts]: Burst cannon [10pts]

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [11 PL, 198pts]
Crisis Shas'ui [66pts]: Multi-tracker [2pts], 2x Plasma rifle [22pts]

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit [10 PL, 169pts]: 2x Burst cannon [20pts], Advanced targeting system [8pts], Cyclic ion raker [39pts], 2x MV5 Stealth Drone [20pts]

+ Fast Attack [7 PL, 145pts] +

Pathfinder Team [7 PL, 145pts]: MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone [8pts]
6x Pathfinder [48pts]: 6x Markerlight [18pts]
Pathfinder Shas'ui [8pts]: Markerlight [3pts]
3x Pathfinder w/ Rail Rifle [81pts]: 3x Rail rifle [66pts]

+ Heavy Support [10 PL, 189pts] +

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits [10 PL, 189pts]: 2x MV4 Shield Drone [16pts]
Broadside Shas'ui [9 PL, 173pts]: 2x Plasma rifle [22pts], Heavy rail rifle [63pts], Shield generator [8pts]

+ Dedicated Transport [28 PL, 508pts] +

TY7 Devilfish [7 PL, 127pts]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone [16pts], Burst cannon [10pts]

Created with BattleScribe

The idea here is to play the Mechanized Infantry game, with Devilfish charging into something that's not particularly great at melee combat so they're forced to either fall back and accept worse to-hits (Ultramarines) or end up not doing much of anything (everyone else). Next turn, deploy a Strike or Breacher Squad with attached Cadre Fireblade, dust off with the Devilfish by "falling back" with it (it has Fly, which is handy) to provide fire support in whatever direction, and have a reasonably shooty round of combat at a range of roughly 3 inches.

The Suits are designed largely to support that, with the Crisis squad harassing with a dozen plasma shots a turn, and the Pathfinder and Broadside contributing long range and anti-tank firepower. The Stealth suits are headhunters, going after whatever I want gone at that present moment with 24 Burst Cannon shots at AP-1. There are 18 Markerlights in this list, so whatever target I pick to erase on a given turn should be pretty easy to erase.

What obvious role am I missing? Staying away from Forge World, and also trying to keep up some diversity in models. I don't want to spam anything (except maybe Devilfish).

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Two quick starter set questions. First, would a Redemptor and a Demon Prince make for good centerpieces to add to each half of a starter set? They're equal in power, after all, but they also seem to have very different roles. Second, for parity's sake is it best to just treat the Lord of Contagion as Typhus? Marines already have the advantage point-wise, after all, but from what I've heard Nurgle already wins more games.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

If I want some shooty marines in my Black Templar army, is it better to use a Tactical Squad or a Crusader Squad? At 10 dudes the options are almost the same.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Bee posted:

You can put Death Guard and Nurgle daemons in a detachment together if you want since they share the Chaos keyword IIRC, but then it won't be a "Death Guard" detachment if that matters for anything (I can't remember if it does at the moment) - like for SM Chapter Tactics, the whole detachment has to have the <CHAPTER> keyword in common to get them.

If having a Death Guard detachment matters, then yeah you can either take a separate detachment of Daemons (so if you wanted two Battalions you'd need six Troops and they'd have to be evenly spread between the two), or you can put aside reinforcement points in the Death Guard detachment and summon the Daemons later.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yeah, I know they work for some people. In my experience, they've been a waste of points. My Rangers have killed less than 5 guys in the entire time i've had them. I've just stopped taking them. Kataphron Destroyers are better.

I really hope Rangers get a bump up in the codex, they are some of the coolest looking models in my army but I only use them MSU for sniping. That ap-1 on 6's is so underwhelming and I hope they change it to always ap-1. Or maybe give them infiltrate or something.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

The Bee posted:

Two quick starter set questions. First, would a Redemptor and a Demon Prince make for good centerpieces to add to each half of a starter set? They're equal in power, after all, but they also seem to have very different roles. Second, for parity's sake is it best to just treat the Lord of Contagion as Typhus? Marines already have the advantage point-wise, after all, but from what I've heard Nurgle already wins more games.

I think it depends on who you're collecting for - if it's you then yes. If it's for two kids and you're trying to look fair and balanced, the Daemon Prince is going to look not as impressive when compared to the Redemptor. However, if it fits your narrative (your warband's leader might not have ascended to Daemon Princehood yet) then you should definitely get the Daemon Prince. It's got some nice buffs, is intended for rip n' tear and/or mobile Psyker. The Prince can be used in both Chaos Space Marine lists, and Daemon lists and has different psychic powers and abilities depending on which army you say it's from. It's a good model, but not GW's best and doesn't really compete in terms of drool factor with say a Redemptor. But that's my personal opinion - I know some people don't like it.

No one will object if you run a Lord of Contagion as Typhus as long as you pay the points (or apply some form of balancing mechanism) and tell people. The old fine cast Typhus model is cool though. He may get a plastic update one day, but a Lord of Contagion certainly looks Typhusy.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Milotic posted:

I think it depends on who you're collecting for - if it's you then yes. If it's for two kids and you're trying to look fair and balanced, the Daemon Prince is going to look not as impressive when compared to the Redemptor. However, if it fits your narrative (your warband's leader might not have ascended to Daemon Princehood yet) then you should definitely get the Daemon Prince. It's got some nice buffs, is intended for rip n' tear and/or mobile Psyker. The Prince can be used in both Chaos Space Marine lists, and Daemon lists and has different psychic powers and abilities depending on which army you say it's from. It's a good model, but not GW's best and doesn't really compete in terms of drool factor with say a Redemptor. But that's my personal opinion - I know some people don't like it.

That's true. I know I dig the Demon Prince model, but that's webstore photos and not up close experience. How big is it compared to the Redemptor? They probably won't be equal in sheer wow factor, but I was hoping for a big, tough looking demon that looks like it could go toe to toe with a big, technological powerhouse. Help sell that magic vs. science angle that zombie hordes against sleek, futuristic soldiers provides.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Redemptor is like twice the size of the Prince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Well, poo poo. There goes that plan. And something tells me a Prince would open up a regular Dread like a can of sardines.