Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

EmmyOk posted:

Some top quality STDH featuring what are imo EPIC OWNS

This would be so mean if it were real. "Look, I taught my dad to use the Internet wrong, as a joke! Now when he tries to get information, he gets nothing, and you can laugh at the sheer embarrassment of an 81-year-old man trying to look up the weather and educate himself about foods he's never had before!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Ehhh, I was raised in an area that was something like 80% evangelical Christian, first as a freaking Pentecostal (sadly, there were no snakes, but we did do the Speaking in Tongues things thinking we were speaking dead languages and Angel languages) and then Southern Baptist. We were taught that prayer had power to tip the scales in bad situations, and I believed that unquestionably when I was around the same age as that kid. I could see myself going that far as to do it in public if I had been a more outgoing, I mean as a kid I used to pray in my head for missing children and the kids on the placemats at Wendys that listed children who could be adopted.

...I'm agnostic now.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I tried to convince everyone I was secretly a reincarnated alien giraffe when I was babby. My parents were not #godly or stoned enough to do anything other than go "that's nice sweetie". :mad:

Also my father sends requests for photos of the grandkids, by which he means Bird 1 and Bird 2 and is very pleased by their addition to the family.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Catalina posted:

Ehhh, I was raised in an area that was something like 80% evangelical Christian, first as a freaking Pentecostal (sadly, there were no snakes, but we did do the Speaking in Tongues things thinking we were speaking dead languages and Angel languages) and then Southern Baptist. We were taught that prayer had power to tip the scales in bad situations, and I believed that unquestionably when I was around the same age as that kid. I could see myself going that far as to do it in public if I had been a more outgoing, I mean as a kid I used to pray in my head for missing children and the kids on the placemats at Wendys that listed children who could be adopted.

...I'm agnostic now.
My assumption is that it 'didn't happen' in the sense that mom forced the kid to pose for her social media brownie points, but I also come from an area that's majority not-insane Christians. :v:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Am I the only one who gets bothered by the lack of cleared notifications? You have a text and an email!

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

haha yes the 9 yo should look for missing children; is this a new fox show?

:)

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

'Hey Hercules, go kneel over by that wall momma wants to go viral'

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Am I the only one who gets bothered by the lack of cleared notifications? You have a text and an email!

Dunno. I tend to get new mail notifications as soon as I clear the existing notifications.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Samizdata posted:

Dunno. I tend to get new mail notifications as soon as I clear the existing notifications.

Create more filters.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I tried to convince everyone I was secretly a reincarnated alien giraffe when I was babby. My parents were not #godly or stoned enough to do anything other than go "that's nice sweetie". :mad:

Also my father sends requests for photos of the grandkids, by which he means Bird 1 and Bird 2 and is very pleased by their addition to the family.

Excellent username for that.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

life is killing me posted:

Mentos: The Bomb Maker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ng1Tx4h7ZI

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

And that classmate was Li Shang.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's a single paragraph but they still managed to forget where their friend got punched

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

maybe his friend was Peter Griffin

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
So if someone just randomly walks up and punches your dick you get suspended? Man I'm glad I went to school during a time when you could punch dicks with almost no consequences.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Zero tolerance policy can be weird and varies from class to class, school to school, district to district- even when they may all have the same policy guideline. If they follow letter of the law, then yes, puncher and punchee were both involved in an altercation and both must be disciplined. If they follow the spirit of the law, then they might both be disciplined, but the puncher might get detention/suspension/expelled and the punchee might get a notification at home that he was involved(so not punished)

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Trebek posted:

So if someone just randomly walks up and punches your dick you get suspended? Man I'm glad I went to school during a time when you could punch dicks with almost no consequences.

As far as I'm aware the zero tolerance thing schools do now means if you fight back and get suspended right? But let's put that aside and assume some schools punish even an entirely passive victim, that's a gross overlook by the school if the same kid is getting punched in the face/dick every week and they do nothing about it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tea Bone posted:

As far as I'm aware the zero tolerance thing schools do now means if you fight back and get suspended right? But let's put that aside and assume some schools punish even an entirely passive victim, that's a gross overlook by the school if the same kid is getting punched in the face/dick every week and they do nothing about it.

Something like this happened in elementary school, back in the 90s. We were all lined up to leave the cafeteria, and a kid at the back of the line shoved the kid in front of him so hard that we all dominoed into one another. The teacher thought the appropriate response was to drag everyone who crashed into the person in front of them in front of the principal for "fighting".

I also got lunch detention in 6th or 7th grade because an older kid tried to fight me to show off in front of his friends in gym, and every time I tried to run away I would be dragged back into it by his friends. Of course the first thing I was asked was "Why didn't you just run away?"

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Did he just call his friend a dickface?

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
he doesn't have any friends and fantasizes about criminal harassment and conspiracy to commit hundreds of acts of assault and battery.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In my Junior High we had a no tolerance policy specifically because one of the teachers was the nosiest goddamn busybody, and the Principal was so burned out he just agreed with her so she'd go away. She made my friend and I stay after class once because he tossed my bookbag over to me as we were leaving and that counted as us fighting apparently.

She's also the same teacher who demanded everyone spell her name without capitals since she 'didn't deserve it' (she's also an english teacher), had dozens and dozens of potted plants around the room and hanging from the cieling that were half dead because she rarely watered them, and most notably spent an entire class talking about how George Bush was evil and America deserved 9/11 like a week after it happened :stare: Junior High sucked and I'm super grateful it was only grades 7-8.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I can't believe you didn't narc her out to FEMA and had her disappear in a death camp.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

gschmidl posted:

I can't believe you didn't narc her out to FEMA and had her disappear in a death camp.

We're in Canada, which made it more weird for all of us since she didn't really tell us who the gently caress George Bush was, and as 12 year olds we didn't have the best grasp on foreign politics

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Danaru posted:

We're in Canada, which made it more weird for all of us since she didn't really tell us who the gently caress George Bush was, and as 12 year olds we didn't have the best grasp on foreign politics

Suddenly that makes a lot more sense.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

Danaru posted:

In my Junior High we had a no tolerance policy specifically because one of the teachers was the nosiest goddamn busybody, and the Principal was so burned out he just agreed with her so she'd go away. She made my friend and I stay after class once because he tossed my bookbag over to me as we were leaving and that counted as us fighting apparently.

She's also the same teacher who demanded everyone spell her name without capitals since she 'didn't deserve it' (she's also an english teacher), had dozens and dozens of potted plants around the room and hanging from the cieling that were half dead because she rarely watered them, and most notably spent an entire class talking about how George Bush was evil and America deserved 9/11 like a week after it happened :stare: Junior High sucked and I'm super grateful it was only grades 7-8.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Did some page Dr. Staywoke?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

And that classmate was Li Shang.

Not sure, in this day and age, why a teacher either wouldn't know who one of their students is, or why a teacher wouldn't know one of their students is trans and at least be aware and courteous enough to address that student by their preferred pronoun. Either way this didn't happen but why anyone would think this was believable is beyond me

Seems to me that this dickwad is every cliche high school bully ever portrayed in any movie about high school, right down to his comeuppance. I've heard some stupid poo poo about school discipline in the last couple years, but I simply do not believe that getting punched gets you punished unless the school just takes the stance that a student was escalating a situation that caused the punching. It's victim blaming at its finest, except it seems that this writer wants to simultaneously garner sympathy and also seem like a hero for standing up for someone

However I do believe that this person had friends in every cliche because that whole paragraph is full of cliches. Unfortunately, it's pretty apparent that the writer either didn't pay enough attention in AP English, or was not in AP English; "AP kids" should probably know how to write better than that.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Trebek posted:

Little fills me with more actual murderous rage than loving antivaxxers.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Smug as poo poo antivaxxers are a whole nother level

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I genuinely want to know how someone makes up a bullshit story in order to prove their point, and never thinks "hm, maybe my point is also bullshit"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Trebek posted:

Translation: She doctor shopped until she found a naturopath 'doctor' who'd agree with her.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Not sure, in this day and age, why a teacher either wouldn't know who one of their students is, or why a teacher wouldn't know one of their students is trans and at least be aware and courteous enough to address that student by their preferred pronoun. Either way this didn't happen but why anyone would think this was believable is beyond me

The teacher "smiled [and] apologized," which makes me think they misgendered the kid by accident and understood their mistake when it was pointed out. Doesn't mean this story happened, though.

E: Content

Not Always Right posted:

(My phone number is only two digits off from a local pizzeria’s. I’ve spent my entire life getting occasional wrong-dials from people who accidentally fumbled and hit the wrong number, looking for pizza. One night, it is two am, and our phone rings. I let it go to machine, and am greeted by a rather amusing voicemail from a very drunk man called “Gordon”, who is practically begging for pizza to be delivered to his dorm room at the local college. I try to go back to sleep, but “Gordon” calls back again… and again. On the third call, I answer the phone.)

Me: *groggy* “Look, Gordon… you’re dialing the wrong number. The pizza place’s number is [phone number.]”

Gordon: *slurred speech* “Look, I don’t care… Can you deliver pizzas? Four pepperoni ones? I remember your voice. I got the stromboli from you the other day!”

Me: “No, I just said you’re dialing the wrong number. This is not the pizza place, and I certainly don’t work there.”

Gordon: “Whhhaaattt? Well, then, can you pick me up some pizzas and bring them to me? I’ll pay you $20.”

Me: “No… No, I won’t do that.”

Gordon: *screaming* “You suck and you’re the Ebenezer Scrooge of pizza, a**-hole!”

(Gordon slammed the phone down and didn’t call back. Thankfully.)

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Aug 2, 2017

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Trebek posted:

Thank God that doctor is an MD too, doctors with MDs are usually the best doctors with the most knowledge

Except that doctor doesn't exist and is a made-up person used as a device to inadvertently describe the poster as a person who has no problems shopping for doctors until she finds one who agrees with her beliefs, gained from years and years of study in the medical field and totally not from mommy blogs

If someone like that doctor exists, I'm willing to bet they have a lot of free time because they have no patients because anyone with a lick of common sense would dismiss them as a quack and also know that a doctor who ISN'T an MD, isn't actually a doctor and shouldn't be practicing medicine.

Pththya-lyi posted:

The teacher "smiled [and] apologized," which makes me think they misgendered the kid by accident and understood their mistake when it was pointed out. Doesn't mean this story happened, though.

Yeah but how do you mis-gender a kid who is in your class presumably 5 days a week, whose preferred gender and pronoun you should have known already?

life is killing me has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Aug 2, 2017

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Yeah but how do you mis-gender a kid who is in your class presumably 5 days a week, whose preferred gender and pronoun she should have known already?

On the first day of school, when you meet them and 20+ other kids for the very first time?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

On the first day of school, when you meet them and 20+ other kids for the very first time?

I mean, it just said, "one time," which may or may not have been the first day of school, so I'm assuming that there was enough time for the teacher to know her students given that the writer didn't go out of his way to say it was the first day of school.

With that said, it's pointless and dumb to argue about it so I'm going to stop

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Haifisch posted:

Translation: She doctor shopped until she found a naturopath 'doctor' who'd agree with her.

I go to a clinic for Physio Therapy. There a slew of other "practitioners" there including more than one Naturopathic Doctor, a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, a Reiki practitioner, and a Registered Homeopath. One of the most telling things about the place is the sign on the door that advises potential tweakers that they have no drugs of any kind on the premises. I know they pitch thier crushed up lawn clippings in pill form as a "natural alternative", but gently caress that; it's unproven and unregulated. I wish they were monitored and licensed like actual medical practitioners. gently caress "alternative medicine" and the flim flam it really is.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Pththya-lyi posted:

E: Content

Clearly a case of coming up with "Ebeneezer Scrooge of pizza" first and thinking its so brilliant that you need to build a whole story around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Trebek posted:

It's a pity such a cute kid is going to suffer so many diseases in their life.