Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.
Can I ask about indoor plants here?

We have one of those large bamboo plants from IKEA that appears to be dispersing some sticky liquid on both the leaves and everything underneath. Some googling indicates that this might be spider mites, so I treated it with some spray and then washed off the sticky residue and some brown spots (may have been sap deposits). A few weeks later and it's at it again.

Did I just miss some or did I misdiagnose? What other step should I try between glare at it and fix it with fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Spider mites are large enough you can see them moving around on your plant, they'll look like tiny red or brown spots and they tend to hang out on the underside of leaves. They'll also leave a small amount of "web" on or around where they're feeding.

Were the brown spots of a fairly consistent size and shape? If so the bamboo might have scale, which is another type of insect parasite that can look a bit like sap. Either way, I'd probably try to clean out its growing medium (new soil, or if it's water and rocks, just rinse them out) and then examine it daily to see if any new bugs show up. If they do, just wipe them off with a damp cloth.

I am by no means a bamboo expert, so it could be something other than insects.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A picture would be super helpful.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.
A picture I can do.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You got scale insects, bro.

You can peel them off if there aren't that many and don't want to jump straight to insecticides. They don't move.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Can spider mites skeletonize a plant? I left for a couple weeks and came back to a dahlia that was a mere shadow of its former self. In all honestly, I should just chuck it out. I was gone while it was being eaten (and my husband apparently didn't notice :mad:); while I didn't catch anything red-handed, there are a couple very fine webs toward the base of the plant that look like the spider mite webs on my indoor/outdoor fig. But they never did that much damage to my fig. :(

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

The End.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You got scale insects, bro.

You can peel them off if there aren't that many and don't want to jump straight to insecticides. They don't move.

TBQH, I'm fine with poison. I did notice the last time that hitting them with a jet from the hose seemed to get rid of them pretty well. Is there any way to truly be rid of them?

Also, where did they came from? We've had this plant for 2 years now and never had an issue.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Honestly this is a better write-up than I could give you: https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/houseplant-pests/scale-control/

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Hirayuki posted:

Can spider mites skeletonize a plant? I left for a couple weeks and came back to a dahlia that was a mere shadow of its former self. In all honestly, I should just chuck it out. I was gone while it was being eaten (and my husband apparently didn't notice :mad:); while I didn't catch anything red-handed, there are a couple very fine webs toward the base of the plant that look like the spider mite webs on my indoor/outdoor fig. But they never did that much damage to my fig. :(

Not really. They bite into leaves and basically suck them dry, eventually causing leaf death. They'd be floppy and yellow/brown and coated with web (because their webs form a ceiling over them as they stand on the leaf). But it would take hundreds to "eat" your entire plant. You'd definitely know they did it.

Not my image, but this is what leaves look like when they have spider mite damage.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I live in the pacific northwest and would like to grow Thai chilies. Is this something I would need to bring inside in the winter and back out in spring? Will I be able to harvest chilies every year?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

lol internet. posted:

I live in the pacific northwest and would like to grow Thai chilies. Is this something I would need to bring inside in the winter and back out in spring? Will I be able to harvest chilies every year?

Yes, for sure bring the plant inside if you don't want it to die. Either that or save some seeds and start a new one inside early in the spring so you get a jump start on next year's crop. Given the right conditions you could actually produce chilies year round, but you may not have enough sun and heat to do so indoors in the winter. I was able to successfully winter my ghost pepper plant a few years ago by giving it a substantial chop (like, half the stem and all the branches except one) and keeping it in a sunny window. It didn't grow much, but it survived and produced again next summer. I think most peppers will produce well for about five years but slow down a bit after that. They'll continue producing for years afterwards, just not as robustly.

This isn't the world's best picture, but does anyone know what kind of grass this is?

I tried to photograph a few parts that are going to seed in case that's helpful (lower left). There are a few big dead spots in my lawn, but since I didn't lay down this grass originally I'm not sure what type it is. I'd like to fill in the spots with the right kind.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

lol internet. posted:

I don't know about your specific climate but this is how I grow chillies in the UK. I grow mine in large pots which I keep outside when the weather is good, and bring them in when it turns bad. Some people grow chillies as annual plants, but like others I've found if you grow them as perennials and overwinter them properly you will get a much better, and earlier yield the next year. There's lots of guides online, but if you bring your plants in for the winter, give them a prune and don't let them get too cold and they will spring back the next year. Here's a guide I found with a quick search: http://www.thechilliking.com/growing/over-wintering/ I didn't prune mine as much as they suggest but you will find slightly different advice depending on where you look. Some varieties will overwinter much better than others, my super chilli and scotch bonnet did very well but my black hungarian pepper didn't do as well but still survived the winter.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

lol internet. posted:

Chilies will grow outdoors where you live as an annual. Honestly, that might be the better idea overall regarding the quality of fruit. The thing about fruiting plants like that is that they get leggy. Old leaves drop off and stems get longer. Given enough time, the stems get so long and so numerous that it really cuts down on the amount of nutrients that the roots can push to the fruits.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

:sigh:

I mentioned before that my tomato plant was given to me by my parents. my dad grew it from seed. it's some kind of beefsteak variety (I would've preferred plum tomatoes because I think they're more versatile but for whatever reason they listened to my brother, who does not care for the plants, instead of asking me?) and it's had dozens and dozens of blossoms on it, but no fruit has set. the plant is as tall as I am, it was planted in rich compost from my parents' piles, and I water it daily. it's in a 5 gallon bucket with drainage holes and a large cage for support.

I'm assuming that the reason it's not setting fruit is due to the temperatures here being too warm in general, but all of the plants in my parents' garden have set plenty of fruit, many have ripened already, and their plants look less bushy and green than mine does.

I shake the cage when I water it to try to distribute pollen, but I wonder if the high temperatures are just loving with it all. it gets full sun from late morning to late afternoon and I give it 3-4 liters of water every morning.

e: my brother sent me this :rip:

e2: I did cut off the suckers or w/e early on but I haven't been pruning it too much lately. it is extremely thicc up top.

snoo fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 17, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
What's pollenating the flowers?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

everything I keep reading says tomatoes self-pollinate but bees/other insects wouldn't hurt. I've never seen a bee around our balcony but I've seen other insects. I shake the plant gently on a daily basis and we get plenty of breezes.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
The main vine of my Pothos has almost wrapped around the mirror!

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

RobotDogPolice posted:

:neckbeard: this is so lovely

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've been having a lot of fun with some pothos at work. I have them in hanging baskets in front of my window, and I'm hoping they'll get big enough to kinda cover the whole thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My Pothos is slowly taking over the office too. I've given away enough cuttings that there's now plants on 6 other coworkers desks.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I sprayed glysophate 41% on my whole yard it's been like 6 days. It looks like there's a small sign of stuff dying but for the most part no. Should I wait longer or do a second application?

Alipes
Sep 6, 2006

Grimey Drawer

lol internet. posted:

I sprayed glysophate 41% on my whole yard it's been like 6 days. It looks like there's a small sign of stuff dying but for the most part no. Should I wait longer or do a second application?

The general rule of thumb is to wait a couple of weeks (2-4) between applications. I'm kind of surprised that it's been that long and you only have slight signs of stuff dying. Usually I try to wait until the morning on a hot, sunny day with no chance of rain to spray, and even with Bermuda grass you can definitely tell stuff is dying within a day or two. If your yard is full of horrible super weeds that would make perfect sense though.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

my tomato plant set a few tomatoes!

they have blossom end rot!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

RobotDogPolice posted:

That's fantastic :3:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

The Snoo posted:

my tomato plant set a few tomatoes!

they have blossom end rot!
:hfive: Me too! I got a liquid calcium supplement last week and it seems to have stabilized them as new tomatoes look clean.

I've been looking for a quality balcony solution for our new apartments patio. It has a 1.5" rectangular metal railing and I can't find anything at Home Depot/Lowes or local gardening store that is designed for metal railings. Ideally I would like to fill the whole 8 foot patio and be able to put legit heavy planter boxes/pots across the entire thing. Since I want to put it on the outside of the railing, its really important that it is sturdy and overbuilt since a pot falling onto the walkway below would be really bad. Not adverse to spending a couple of hundred bucks to get something versatile and well made.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

What if you made some kind of metal or wood saddle to go over the balcony with a hook or lip. Then you could drill holes into the containers to hang them from it, or if you had a hanging lip that dropped down, you could just set the containers on it. Hopefully that makes some kind of sense - it's a bit hard to describe what I'm thinking of, but I did something similar when I wanted to hang things from the giant wooden gate and no premade container could fit over it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

cheese posted:

:hfive: Me too! I got a liquid calcium supplement last week and it seems to have stabilized them as new tomatoes look clean.

I've been looking for a quality balcony solution for our new apartments patio. It has a 1.5" rectangular metal railing and I can't find anything at Home Depot/Lowes or local gardening store that is designed for metal railings. Ideally I would like to fill the whole 8 foot patio and be able to put legit heavy planter boxes/pots across the entire thing. Since I want to put it on the outside of the railing, its really important that it is sturdy and overbuilt since a pot falling onto the walkway below would be really bad. Not adverse to spending a couple of hundred bucks to get something versatile and well made.

Not sure what you mean by "legit heavy"exactly but searching Amazon for "balcony planter" gives loads of trough/basket results, some of which say in the details that they'll fit 1 3/4" rails

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Not sure what you mean by "legit heavy"exactly but searching Amazon for "balcony planter" gives loads of trough/basket results, some of which say in the details that they'll fit 1 3/4" rails
Everything seems designed for small, shallow planters. I can't seem to find anything built to hold pots larger than 10", which is on the small end for the larger perennials that I would like to put in there. I have not yet come across anything that looks like it will confidently support 40+ pounds.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Unfortunately I've just discovered a bastard mite infection on a bunch of my houseplants, some of them quite a venerable heritage - it looks like little fluffy dots on vulnerable and sheltered spots, almost like small cochineal bugs, which I totally wouldn't expect being in the UK. What's a good way to get rid of them?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

cheese posted:

Everything seems designed for small, shallow planters. I can't seem to find anything built to hold pots larger than 10", which is on the small end for the larger perennials that I would like to put in there. I have not yet come across anything that looks like it will confidently support 40+ pounds.

Please make sure your balcony can handle the weight. Same with the railing. As a refugee from the Crappy Construction thread, I can assure you that many balconies are not even built well enough to handle one human being, much less a few hundred pounds of planter, wet soil, plants, and a human or two, all at once.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Ya fair point. Its actually not so much a balcony as an extension of the second story landing where the top two units enter their front doors.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Hi friends, noob pruning question. We started some avocados for fun, and they currently look like this: (man I need to wash the windows)

I've looked at a bunch of guides and many of them say when it gets to this height, 8-10", straight up cut it in half. Maybe it's too late for that, though (was on vacation)? Other guides just say pinch off the top leaf node. They'll be staying inside.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I looked around more and found a forum post discussing exactly this, and it sounds like 'anything can work'. Just gotta experiment!

quote:

If your plant is experiencing explosive growth, this is as good a time as any to pinch the top. If you have a long thumb nail, select the first leaf petiole from the top ABOVE WHICH you can successfully cut with your nail LEAVING about 1/16" or 2mm of UNDAMAGED stem above it. Pinching crushes the stem so take that into account. (You can also just pinch at random and clean up the cut later after further growth will reveal the best spot, but doing this, you can miss the ideal bud to grow out)

All in all, the growing tip pinch is the only time thumb nail can do the job. Otherwise, I often use toenail scissors for indoor plant pruning, and regular pruners for anything thicker than 1/8"

Another selection criteria is just above a cluster of leaves or visible bumps/protobuds so more than one bud will be stimulated to grow into a side branch.

I have also tried viciously hacking off just above the first full-sized leaf. This works well in stimulating a new sturdy LEADER but usually it just takes over the plant and usually at an angle.

And I've tried cutting above the tiny leaf below the first full-sized leaf. The result was same as above when done during good growth like early summer, but when done during the cold winter, the whole thing died.

I have another one that, at about 3" I actually chopped off just above those teeny, tiny not-quite-leaves that are clustered about 1 inch above the seed. This one resulted in a pretty much perfectly even double trunk (or 'Y'). I did it in winter time and it sat and didn't do anything for 2 months -- I honestly thought I killed it -- but then it started to grow about this time of the year.

So, you see, THIS is why you're seeing conflicting information. Pretty much anything goes as far as getting the avocado to grow a new shoot after cutting. The trick is getting, what is to you, a pleasing shape out of it.
Go for it. Have fun and good luck.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

RobotDogPolice posted:

Pothos is my favorite unkillable plant.

My spouse has had one for like 10+ years and barely cared for it.

On a completely unrelated note, I recently bought a house and apparently there was a Goats Head/Puncturevine weed in it as it has taken over a section of the yard(which is currently wood chips and dirt).

Do I just burn the house down and start over?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The place that I'm renting has a patio area with fences and these vines on them:

It didn't occur to me to get something in the picture for scale until just now but these vines are taller than me (I'm 5'10").

Does anyone know what these vines are called so I can look up information about them? Also they are really unruly and their branches are just going out everywhere, some are bent under their own weight, and some are just really long and like spilling over into the area behind the fence. For the bent ones can I just unbend them and then tie them loosely upright? For the long ones can I just … cut them off?

They are planted under that fence, which goes around the perimeter of my cobblestone covered patio area. There's still some room to plant flowers and such next to the vines. What are some nice bushy (but ideally colorful) flowers/plants I could plant with these vines?

And last question: There are weeds everywhere. I looked them up and i think it's horsetail. I just want them to stop but I don't know what I can do. They're growing in the same dirt as the vines so I can't just douse it with chemicals. Pulling them out seems to do nothing or even make things worse. I can't cover everything with plastic to suffocate them. Is there anything I can do? Could I just get mulch, pull every weed I can find out, and then cover everything with it?

The soil looks really bad so I wanted to get some new soil and cover up the top with it but adding fresh soil seems like it would encourage all the god drat weeds to grow too.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I can't help with your other questions, but that looks like plain old English ivy (or "common ivy") to me. It'd be beautiful trained all up on a wall or fence, but it can get unruly and go everywhere, yeah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedera_helix

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, that vine is English ivy, and you can do whatever you want to it because it is an evil monster weed that will always grow back. It will eventually consume you, your home, and everyone you've ever loved.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, that vine is English ivy, and you can do whatever you want to it because it is an evil monster weed that will always grow back. It will eventually consume you, your home, and everyone you've ever loved.

Literally, yes.
The neighboring house has it going up the wall because ivy loves climbing brick. It's taken over the space between our houses and started to climb up ours before I set the lawn mower to "putting green" and then hit it with roundup.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Thirding English Ivy and that it's a horrible weed. It will climb and cling to ANYTHING. What's worse is that it always doesn't stay attached:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Also rats love to climb on it. I've spent many hours this summer ripping English ivy off my sisters' property.