Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tres Burritos posted:

I am an idiot and ordered a Rift. For the low low price of $400 how could I resist?. I even have a spare room(s) to use it in. What are good games to get your "VR legs" in? I want to play Superhot so loving badly but I don't want to throw up so I think I'm going to build up to it.

In rating of most to least comfortable:

Start with "standing" games: Job Sim, Superhot, Rick & Morty, Star Trek Bridge Crew

Then try "cockpit" games: War Thunder, Dirt Rally, Project Cars, iRacing,

Then try some "teleport" locomotion games: The Lab, Arizona Sunshine, etc.

THEN after you feel comfortable you can try the stuff that needs "Vr legs", which would be anything with artificial locomotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

Play Echo Arena

Edit: people will help teach your mom how to play https://clips.twitch.tv/SpeedySleepyClipsmomTinyFace

Hopefully I'll give it more time and have these kind of exps. So far, mine has been getting put against some high level and his friends, with us being 3 strangers with no idea what we're doing, then that high level basically just running over us over and over and over. Its super fun!

I also tend to have super bad luck with matchmaking of any kind.

The game itself seems like itll be fun, once I can get into some lobbies with other scrubby noobs. :)

Zaphod42 posted:

In rating of most to least comfortable:

Start with "standing" games: Job Sim, Superhot, Rick & Morty, Star Trek Bridge Crew

Then try "cockpit" games: War Thunder, Dirt Rally, Project Cars, iRacing,

Then try some "teleport" locomotion games: The Lab, Arizona Sunshine, etc.

THEN after you feel comfortable you can try the stuff that needs "Vr legs", which would be anything with artificial locomotion.

To be 100% honest. Just play the poo poo that came free with the touch/rift bundle. Skip steamVR right out of the gate (seriously, its fine, it works, whatever, just, get to it after you actually enjoy some VR first), and just play the stuff that came.

That stupid platformer lucky whatever, is really really fun if you need something to ease you into VR more than the intro stuff does. Theres robo recall, theres buried and dead or whatever its called (more fun with friends or online for sure, solo its touuuuugh).

I made the mistake of "getting ready" for VR, and had all kinds of games picked out, bought, etc. Totally should have just waited, played with the free stuff, THEN started looking for poo poo to play.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 2, 2017

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Theres enough free stuff with rift that you can mess around with you don't have to worry about buying games for a bit. Robo Recall, Echo Arena, Rec Room, Dead and Buried, google earth. (e:fb)

In other news Gunheart is clunky early access but some super-fast-paced locomotion craziness fun.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Ultrawings is such a rad game, and it kills me that it's the only game since the first Doom3vr mod that's made me have to quit from motion sickness.

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

Every Best Buy near me is completely sold out of rifts. :argh:

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

NRVNQSR posted:

Is this referring to the Acer headset or the HP headset?

Both, apparently they have the same specs. Nothing about the lenovo one, but it's supposed to be around the same price point and likely wont be much better. Starting to seem like it really is a case of waiting to ocuvive 2.0 for drawback-less hmds

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Suddenly remembered that DotA2 has a VR spectator mode, so installed it and gave it a go.

Holy hell, that was neat. Like watching a tabletop wargame in real-time. It even made me feel like maybe checking out the game, but then I read a few reviews and thought better of it. :v:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Does anyone have an idea of how long it will take to ship from the oculus store (I'm in the states)? It seems like all the best buys near me are sold out too and I wanted to buy before the sale is over.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Best buy should be able to ship to you or to a store...

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Oh yeah they have that option but if I'm having to wait on it to get shipped anyway I'd rather avoid 10% sales tax.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Parallelwoody posted:

Does anyone have an idea of how long it will take to ship from the oculus store (I'm in the states)? It seems like all the best buys near me are sold out too and I wanted to buy before the sale is over.

Got a microcenter near you? Assuming you wanted it "now" and not wanting to wait.

And based on the facebook spam posts I see, most people are waiting weeks.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

No microcenter either. I live in TN so I get 10% tax from newegg and Amazon as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Suddenly remembered that DotA2 has a VR spectator mode, so installed it and gave it a go.

Holy hell, that was neat. Like watching a tabletop wargame in real-time. It even made me feel like maybe checking out the game, but then I read a few reviews and thought better of it. :v:

Don't play MOBAs, there is no more toxic an environment than those. The game's inherent design makes people hate each other.

Watching MOBAs though is good times. :cheeky: I should try that VR spectator mode myself...

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
The official word coming from support inquiries is that there should be more stock available after August 7th to mid August, although some vendors ( ie Amazon ) may report stock available sooner. In my case I ordered on the 27th of July ( Australia ) and it looks like they ran out of stock in Hong Kong for orders around the 10th-11th of July so I'm expecting mid to late August before I'll see mine ( in time for my 40th! ).

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Fooz posted:

Theres enough free stuff with rift that you can mess around with you don't have to worry about buying games for a bit. Robo Recall, Echo Arena, Rec Room, Dead and Buried, google earth. (e:fb)

How do I get Dead and Buried for free?

I've only had my Rift for a couple days and am still figure out basic stuff. A couple questions?

- How do I get back to the original Oculus demo that started when I first set it up? (The one with the alien staring at you, the dinosaur walking over you, etc.)
- I only have one sensor hooked up so far. It's working better then I expected so far, but some reason it always has me facing in the exact opposite direction of it. It wasn't like that at first. Any idea how to reset it? I tried the thing with the green cross and the other config item where it has you look in the direction you want to be, but Oculus home always ends up being behind me.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Grey posted:

I've only had my Rift for a couple days and am still figure out basic stuff. A couple questions?

- How do I get back to the original Oculus demo that started when I first set it up? (The one with the alien staring at you, the dinosaur walking over you, etc.)
- I only have one sensor hooked up so far. It's working better then I expected so far, but some reason it always has me facing in the exact opposite direction of it. It wasn't like that at first. Any idea how to reset it? I tried the thing with the green cross and the other config item where it has you look in the direction you want to be, but Oculus home always ends up being behind me.

Setup your second sensor, Seriously. Also the starting thingy I think should be in your library.

Did they remove the free games from the "new bundle?" Thought those were just freebies for having touch controls. So uh, Go to the store and download it?

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Dead and Buried adds to your library along with the other free poo poo when you activate your Touch controllers for the first time.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Darke GBF posted:

Dead and Buried adds to your library along with the other free poo poo when you activate your Touch controllers for the first time.

Thanks, I guess it's time to setup the Touch.

Kind of weird, but I was trying to go slowly with VR and just do basic stuff to begin with. I don't want to set the expectation bar too high immediately and not be able to enjoy the lower tier stuff. It's like the person who said don't play Robo Recall first because everything else will seem lame compared to it.

The Rift is already blowing away my expectations. I've read a ton about VR and watched a lot of videos on YouTube, but people are right when they say you just need to experience it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The Grey posted:

The name of that particular demo is "oculus dreamdeck" you should have it in your library, if not just do a search for it (oculus home has a search function up to, or just start typing). Edit: On a side note for anyone interested, if you do a search for "free" you can see everything thats, well, free.

Your forward direction is setup during the initial setup. Get your touch controllers setup, during the process it will ask you to point "forward" this only means what direction you want the home menu and other default things. Once in a game just about every single program lets you reset your position inside it, just press the oculus home button on the right controller (or remote, or xbox pad) to bring up the menu, and from there you can reset your orientation, adjust your lenses (IPD and focus), turn off guardian, volume and some other things.

EDIT:

Parallelwoody posted:

No microcenter either. I live in TN so I get 10% tax from newegg and Amazon as well.

Apparently if you order from newegg https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826910005&a=1 and use the promo code MPBTS17 you'll get $25 off the cost, and its in stock at the moment. Might offset your sales tax situation a bit.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 2, 2017

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

P.s. the dreamdeck in the store has more scenes/functionality than the 'tutorial' that comes already installed. One of the scenes in the extended edition is a little floating rock town with cartoony clouds and sunshine that i seriously, seriously wish someone would just totally rip off and make a game out of. It's one of the coolest little demos ive seen in VR.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Grey posted:

Thanks, I guess it's time to setup the Touch.

Kind of weird, but I was trying to go slowly with VR and just do basic stuff to begin with. I don't want to set the expectation bar too high immediately and not be able to enjoy the lower tier stuff. It's like the person who said don't play Robo Recall first because everything else will seem lame compared to it.

The Rift is already blowing away my expectations. I've read a ton about VR and watched a lot of videos on YouTube, but people are right when they say you just need to experience it.

Whoever said don't play robo recall because the bar is too high after that is a dolt. Sorry. I'm having a poo poo ton of fun with "non" robo recall stuff. I agree that theres not as many well polished shooty mc shooty games, but raw data is really good, Superhots I guess really good in VR (waiting for cheaper than 20, just cant pay that much). Plus don't neglect yourself of john woo robot time. Put it this way, A friend of mine with a vive paid full price for it (on my raving about it), and basically is thanking me for reviving his love for VR. You will replay the living poo poo out of robo recall. Setup your touch controls and be a god drat action hero for a while.

IN fact, I just came to post whoever said they needed more soundboxing "buddies" or whatever. I took a dive for the price, and instantly hated you, because as a new user, getting going was refund worthy. But I got going, and holy poo poo this is an amazing game. It needs some "tutorial" poo poo for new users for sure. But man, this is now going to get played a ton. Its so good.

So whoever you are, Thanks. 100% plan on using this for a "workout" game. Its really fun.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 2, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Tom Guycot posted:

EDIT:

Apparently if you order from newegg https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826910005&a=1 and use the promo code MPBTS17 you'll get $25 off the cost, and its in stock at the moment. Might offset your sales tax situation a bit.

They dis-apply the $25 promo code when you try to check out, unfortunately

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did anyone here _not_ experience any VR sickness? I don't think I've been hit with it yet and I've not exactly been avoiding it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Did anyone here _not_ experience any VR sickness? I don't think I've been hit with it yet and I've not exactly been avoiding it

Some games don't cause it at all for me, even if I play for hours. But others still do. Have you played like, Windlands?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ammanas posted:

They dis-apply the $25 promo code when you try to check out, unfortunately

:cripes: I hate promo codes...

I never really did ever, but playing quake 1 in VR... that did it for me after a few levels. Its the artificial smooth turning that does me in. If there was a mod to use the controllers and I could just physically turn, or even snap turns and I would have been fine though. That smooth turning though... it's like someone spinning you around and around on an office chair.

I guess if you really want to see if you can make yourself sick, play something like that :P

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

ZombyDog posted:

The official word coming from support inquiries is that there should be more stock available after August 7th to mid August, although some vendors ( ie Amazon ) may report stock available sooner. In my case I ordered on the 27th of July ( Australia ) and it looks like they ran out of stock in Hong Kong for orders around the 10th-11th of July so I'm expecting mid to late August before I'll see mine ( in time for my 40th! ).

Yeah I put my order in on the 13th and I didn't get a shipping ETA after a week's wait, and started reading reports of huge shipping delays and depleted stock, I really REALLY wanted my rift though so I resorted to canceling my order with oculus and got super lucky finding a great deal on eBay for a Rift + Touch + 3rd Sensor from an australian seller for $750AUD, had it within a day. I regret nothing, even if I semi-negated the sale price by being impatient :v:

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Dirt Rally, War Thunder, and Echo Arena have all given me motion sickness issues within minutes of playing them. Can play stuff like Rec Room for hours at a time with no issues.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

ADR1FT is probably the worst experience I've had. It took Lone Echo to convince me that space might be cool.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

If you want the worst possible experience try Windlands. Even with the vr tron cage it's still vomit city for me after 10 minutes. It's the only game in VR I decided I wasn't going to finish.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chadzok posted:

ADR1FT is probably the worst experience I've had. It took Lone Echo to convince me that space might be cool.

Me too sadly. I was super excited to play it in VR too after my dicking around non VR. :(

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I installed Waifu Sex Simulator out of sick, morbid curiosity and self-induced the motion sickness so hard I haven't felt it ever again. It takes time, and having aids like a small rug under your feet to remind you via touch what your real center of gravity (?) is can be a huge help.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I've not had it since Oculus DK1, and that was seeking it out on purpose. The worst I get is mild eye strain.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Some games cause sickness from things like slightly wrong camera setups. It was way more common before everyone started using the pre-made UE4 or Unity VR assets but it still comes up.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The funny thing about motion sickness is that I only really felt it in the PSVR, which I had bought first before recently getting a Rift. PSVR, with its single camera tracking, has some wobble issues if you're not the perfect distance/angle away from it in a perfectly lit room. In standing experiences, it's not that bad since you're moving around a lot, but when you're seated, it's very frustrating and hurts your head over time to have the cockpit shift forward and back ever so slightly.

The Rift (with 3 sensors, no less) is rock solid and I've never had an issue with motion sickness because of it. Then again, my family members who've only really tried 1 or 2 VR experiences still got nauseous after trying Google Earth VR when flying close to a building (it shifts your focus so that you're suddenly standing on the building instead of treating it as a tiny model below you).

I think there really is something like "VR sea legs" where you build up a tolerance over time.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 2, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I haven't experienced any motion sickness but I haven't tried anything with artificial locomotion not involving a vehicle. I tried mission ISS standing and that made me feel strange and was a bit disorienting while I was doing it but I didn't get nauseous or anything. But I'm not prone to motion sickness at all, I've never had it on boats or when reading on a car/bus etc so perhaps I'm immune. Doom 3 mods sound interesting and I'll try them someday but I'm very into elite dangerous at the moment.

Speaking of elite dangerous, it's the VR game I've played that makes me feel the most nervous. Anytime I get close to a station maneuvering around to find the landing pad/entrance... it really makes me feel the size and scale of these massive space stations. And when someone drops you out of a jump and you have to do follow the escape vector... my ship doesn't have weapons (it's a lightened explorer ship) so I always get nervous that pirates or something are trying to steal my poo poo.

Elite dangerous is cool and good in VR.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Anyone give mars 2030 a try? Curious if it's decent.

Having the space helmet visible at all times in adrift has been what's stopped me from getting motion sick. I may be a broken brain though because as soon as I got a gear VR I played a jetpack sim where I flew about 150 feet straight up, then began to freefall while rotating the thumbstick in circles...plummeting while doing 360's made me pretty much haveta rip the headset off but I've been a rock ever since.

Another tangent- is alien isolation worth waiting to play in VR? there's already a CV1 alpha version so I don't mind waiting for a fixed up beta or final release. Should I just play the game in 2D for the first time through anyway?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried out The Wizards yet? It looked very cool, like the Unspoken but a single-player. I'm not really into buying Early Access things but at £14.99 it's tempting.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 2, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

zer0spunk posted:

Another tangent- is alien isolation worth waiting to play in VR? there's already a CV1 alpha version so I don't mind waiting for a fixed up beta or final release.

I've not played it personally but I've heard nothing but good things about it, people are comparing it to RE7 in terms of quality. It's a seated experience from what I've heard.

If it's anything like the DOOM 3 VR mod it'll be worth playing even in the early stages just for the experience, then revisiting it later when they've worked on it more further down the road. D3VR was amazing even in its janky early days but the newest versions with tons of options and the great PDA interface make it feel like a made for VR experience.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Alien made me motion sick but it helped to stand up while playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

If you're playing current VR experiences I think it's totally possible to not have any. I very rarely get it, the first thing that really gave me some decent VR sickness was when I built a traditional FPS (twin stick controls) + VR game but messed up the rotation, the stick wouldn't quite rotate the way you expected. I did it just to see how it would feel, and strafing while rotating in a direction you don't expect did not feel great.

I have to push myself pretty hard to get any motion sickness, but the main things that trigger me are stick rotation without snap turning, and a whole lot of tumbling/forced rotation. Adrift got me a little sick, and extremely high speed games with stick rotation can still occasionally get me sick.

You've got a high tolerance and current games are made to be pretty comfortable. Back in the early days of VR some stuff would have gotten you I'm sure.

I bet if you keep it up you might find something, but for now just be thankful. Sim sickness is a big deal you should not tolerate, so if you feel it stop.