Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

I'd rather read GBS for 3 hours every day than read a page of gurm.

Don't you want to read 3 pages about blood sausages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I read A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms recently and it was really good.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ElGroucho posted:

Don't you want to read 3 pages about blood sausages?

I'd prefer to read 3 pages about goon sausages. I mean their dicks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've been watching Dirk Gently's Holistic Detecive Agency. The Elijah Wood one. Like GoT, it is loosely based on books. But Douglas Adams is a good writer and is dead. Gurm is a bad writer and is alive. DGHDA is good but GoT is not.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I'd prefer to read 3 pages about goon sausages. I mean their dicks.

Oh my.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I heard the spin-ff of "Dunc & Egg" is real good. The show does pairings well. You get two characters who play well off each other and it's always great. Why not do that full scale with Dunc & Egg if they're that good?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Decebal posted:

I know it's been mentioned before, but my god, the costumes on the Khalessi faction. The show was pretty good so far with costumes that look medieval but now it's like someone from Deviantart/Tumblr trying to make bring the wardrobe to a "new, exciting and modern spin"

Dany's distractingly huge pin in the latest episode feels like HBO hired one of their interns after a 5 second Etsy search. It's incredibly dumb looking and I have no clue how the design made it past brainstorming sessions, let alone a final product. It's really weird because her dresses and accessories generally look pretty rad, not like a Ren Faire production.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 2, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dorne's entire military leadership was a woman and 3 teenage girls. Whole leadership. No one else and no other army to use for Dany. That's it. Done.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Dany's distractingly huge pin in the latest episode looks like HBO hired one of their interns after a 5 second Etsy search. It's incredibly dumb looking and I have no clue how the design made it past brainstorming sessions, let alone a final product. It's really weird because her dresses and accessories generally look pretty rad.

Maybe this is what they always wanted but were hemmed in by the books. Now that they have a bit more freedom they can show us how much better the costumes can be. I bet a team of designers are actually patting themselves on the back for finally being able to show people their talent and super creativity.

It's getting into SiFi channel original production territory now. Xena outfits looked better

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dorne's entire military leadership was a woman and 3 teenage girls. Whole leadership. No one else and no other army to use for Dany. That's it. Done.

Dude dorne was done so poo poo shittily. All they had to do was make it kind of like moorish Spain and it would've been sick.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
But what about

the sand snakes, hissssssssss

What a loving mess. Even the books made Dorne sound rad as gently caress.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Decebal posted:

Even with the first 3 books, which are really , really good, I wonder if knowing all the big reveals would impact someone's ability to slog through the 1000 pages ? A big part of what motivated me to read them constantly was the desire to find out what happens to the characters.

If you take that incentive away it might be a grind

Until you had to wait 5 years for the next book that only dealt with half the cast and another 6 for the one that handles the second half.
Yes, some of the characters havent been touched since before Obama was president.

I completely lost interest in the book series and only want poo poo on the tv series out of spite nowadays.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think Dorne is the one that's changed the most from the books. Entire main characters who have their own chapters and such are totally missing (Quentyn Martell) or had their roles massively reduced (Areoh Hotah).

I kind of get it, Quentyn's whole storyline doesn't mesh with the way they moved up Dany's timeline at all, and Areoh's whole point is showing us an inside look at Dornish politics, which while cool, probably wouldn't have fit in time-wise, and also they probably figured the audience has enough separate political intrigues to keep track of, I guess. Unfortunately we're left with the wet fart that was Ellaria and the Sand Snakes.

I know the show kind of butchers some plotlines, but honestly aside from Quentyn, the only noticeably absent character I can remember from the books is Strong Belwas and I guess Jon Connington/"young Griff."

Oh and the pig-riding dwarfs I guess

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Until you had to wait 5 years for the next book that only dealt with half the cast and another 6 for the one that handles the second half.
Yes, some of the characters havent been touched since before Obama was president.

I completely lost interest in the book series and only want poo poo on the tv series out of spite nowadays.

IIRC, book 5 came out around the time of season 1, maybe after. Whatever. He hasn't finished a book since the show started. He's not going to finish another book. The series is over. The climax is Dany pooping and Jon dying.

A true song of ice and farter.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Ya the sand snakes were complete dogshit. I was hoping to get the Tywin equivalent of whatever the name of the king of dorne was. Like, an intelligent schemer.

Instead in the most power rangers of fight sequences the sand snakes take power. Which, in a show that has impressive powerful women (physical and otherwise) they are totally lame.

Bad poosay

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
I wonder what GRRM will do with Lady Stoneheart ? I liked Catelyn Stark and was hoping to see more of her but the show decided her story ends up in a dumb way. I can't imagine why else they didn't include her. Plenty of people came back to life already. The Eastern continent is probably full of them since it's crawling with Red Priests

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's honestly a shame they cut Quentyn since his story fits perfectly with the general idea of "people with good intentions get hosed" and the end would have been a really funny scene to watch

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's been a few dozen pages so I am going to take this tiny prompt to complain that Strong Belwas would have owned on screen and helped make Dany scenes less dire, and also not including him is erasure of strongfats, who need more representation.

I guess they didn't want "can only emote if I'm shrieking in a fake language" Clarke to have every scene stolen by some cool belching fat murder guy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Decebal posted:

I wonder what GRRM will do with Lady Stoneheart ? I liked Catelyn Stark and was hoping to see more of her but the show decided her story ends up in a dumb way. I can't imagine why else they didn't include her. Plenty of people came back to life already. The Eastern continent is probably full of them since it's crawling with Red Priests

gurm will do nothing because the book series is over.

cat is dead on the show because she was bad and no one liked her.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

It's been a few dozen pages so I am going to take this tiny prompt to complain that Strong Belwas would have owned on screen and helped make Dany scenes less dire, and also not including him is erasure of strongfats, who need more representation.

I guess they didn't want "can only emote if I'm shrieking in a fake language" Clarke to have every scene stolen by some cool belching fat murder guy.

WTF are you talking about? Shut up.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

WTF are you talking about? Shut up.

this guy:

get chiklis to play him

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I'm more pissed that we got Areo Hotah with that cool weapon and he was just a glorified statue for 3 episodes. They could have at least showed a flashback of his younger days in the fighting pits and present us with a cool fight scene. But I guess establishing that he was a great fighter and then killing him in such a lame manner would have looked dumber than it already was

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

this guy:

get chiklis to play him

Black King Kong Bundy? Has nothing to do with GoT.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Kelp Me! posted:

It's honestly a shame they cut Quentyn since his story fits perfectly with the general idea of "people with good intentions get hosed" and the end would have been a really funny scene to watch

I love it because it shows just how pointless book 5 was. So much of the book was wasted on Quentyn and the fake Targ dude, yet it turns out they're so inconsequential you can cut them completely.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

bloom posted:

I love it because it shows just how pointless book 5 was. So much of the book was wasted on Quentyn and the fake Targ dude, yet it turns out they're so inconsequential you can cut them completely.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422738

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.
imagine the backlash if they actually would have casted Belwas, literal early 1900's african cannibal-stereotype

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure they intended to close down Dorne after Doran was killed and then went "holy poo poo we need Dany to have allies but we never developped that area in the show".

Too bad because Dorne was introduced as being freaking awesome with Oberyn.

If I recall what I read about the books, Doran was supposed to be a long-game player like Tywinn, Olenna and Littlefinger but they turned him into a weak loser and for some reason hated by his whole population!?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Why did GRRM spend so many pages on Brienne, she is the most boring and undynamic character in the whole loving series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Strong belwas had a little cameo in the episode where tyrion met Dany as one of the other people on the slave pit fighting ring

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

that sure is a 1300-page thread about some books.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

bloom posted:

that sure is a 1300-page thread about some books.

This is a 56 page thread that has turned into about some books.

Someone post titties.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I mean book status on Jon Snu: Dying from being stabbed by the nightwatch.
Since 2011.

Do you expect me to be interested in a 6-year cliffhanger?
gently caress you you fat piece of poo poo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Who has the best titties in the books?
Who has the biggest cock?
Who takes it in the butt?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I hope the Mountain goes out in an equally dumb and seemingly harmless way like that bodyguard guy for crippled Dorne dude. He gets a little knife in the back and he's like immediate dead lol

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I hope the Mountain goes out in an equally dumb and seemingly harmless way like that bodyguard guy for crippled Dorne dude. He gets a little knife in the back and he's like immediate dead lol

Is the Mountain technically a wight?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Early Cersei.
Hodor.
Loras.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Waltzing Along posted:

gurm
hodor
the people reading

Also in apology for talking about books: :nws: http://i.imgur.com/6MPlfm0.jpg :nws:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bloom posted:

Also in apology for talking about books: :nws: http://i.imgur.com/6MPlfm0.jpg :nws:

This was a good apology.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

bloom posted:

Good. This should be posted on every page.

New thread rule, you must add this to your post if you are the first poster on a new page or face probation. Or at least ridicule for not posting the titties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I also linked :nws: http://i.imgur.com/6MPlfm0.jpg :nws: into the OP. So you know where to find it. Simply cut and paste.

Now that I think about it, this should be included in every post. I'll add that to the OP. Sometimes I am so smart I scare myself.