Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Callifornia2 posted:

Isn't this what everyone wanted? I was more mad at myself then anything for not doing better. Hopefully changing the difficulty for the computers will make this more fun for us.

It's not a Mario Party playthrough without rebelling against the game via angry silence so yes this was an expected outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Callifornia2 posted:

Hopefully changing the difficulty for the computers will make this more fun for us.

This is what I want.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Callifornia2 posted:

Isn't this what everyone wanted? I was more mad at myself then anything for not doing better. Hopefully changing the difficulty for the computers will make this more fun for us.

We all joked about the Mario Party games breaking you guys and whatnot...but its not fun for anyone if you're just miserable! To concur:

Technowolf posted:

This is what I want.

more fun for everyone is good!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

You come at the king, you best not miss.

I think that there's a 100% chance that Mario Party 4 will be just as much of a letdown for Calli as MP2 is for Michael. All I know about MP4 is the Mega Mushroom/Mini Mushroom mechanic and that was pretty widely criticized as a bad gameplay decision.

MR. J posted:

Literally the worst board. Wario's Battle Canyon 2.
It's better than Wario's Battle Canyon because there's much less randomness to it.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Worst board in Mario Party 2 at least. Battle Canyon is a snorefest.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

We will see. This weekend we will be trying to finish Mario Party 2 and I want to start if not push through Mario Party 3 like an idiot but I highly doubt we will get that far.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mystery Land is definitely the least creative board in MP2.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
In the end there's really only so much you can expect from roll-and-move, I suppose.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Well, we've fully recorded the rest of Mario Party 2. I have to say, these next few weeks are going to be really exciting.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Warmal posted:

Well, we've fully recorded the rest of Mario Party 2. I have to say, these next few weeks are going to be really exciting.
:getin: I hope the CPU changes helped.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

Yapping Eevee posted:

:getin: I hope the CPU changes helped.

I think the changes helped a lot. I think there are multiple reasons though this session went so well. The changing of the computer difficulty is a big part of it but I also changed my work schedule so I am over all a more happy person so the losing doesnt bother me as much and I seem to be able to play better now that I can concentrate and not worry about work the next day or what is going on later that week.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Who here is ready for some Mario Party? We're gonna be playing Wario's Battle Canyon Mystery Land and the rules have finally changed. The days of the no good cheating hard computer have passed, as well as the seething hatred we have for the game. The rest of the game was recorded in one fell swoop and I can't wait for everyone to see the conclusion.

Mystery Land - Part 1

This also means that it's time to vote who will win. Will it be Michael, Calli, the Normal CPU, or the Easy CPU?

I gotta say, even on normal the computer feels tough to beat. I'm not sure what it is about the difficulty in this game.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Gonna vote for Calli this time. I'm excited to see how the rest of MP2 goes. :allears:

Since there's no Mystery Land HQ Rip, I'm gonna go ahead and link something different. Here's This Way That, one of the minigame music tracks. (Here's the original too.) And since today's Mystery Land, I won't explain the joke... not that it's a very hard one to get. :v:

Edit: All the positive energy this time was just :3:.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 2, 2017

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Peach's got it

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Calli for the win

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Calli, even though she disappointed me before

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Yeah the normal cpu is being really nice to you. Hope the rest of this game was enjoyable now.

Yoshi's gonna take the race, though.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Calli is going to win because Michael is throwing the game again.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Kilza posted:

Based off the first half of the first board, this is going to be a bad idea but I'm going for it.

I'm just going to vote for Michael to win every single board of Mario Party 2. Every. Single. One.

Never. Stop. Voting. Michael.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Yoshi because between legit stars, minigame stars and a decent shot at a happening star I have faith he can overcome Mario Party Bullshit the rest of the way.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I think Calli has learned from past mistakes to get over the hump this time, although I've never heard "Calgary" pronounced the way she says it.

After looking up the Calgary Stampede to check and see if it's like a giant county or state fair (pretty much), I noticed that the Saddledome hockey arena is shaped just like a saddle. I never understood why they called it that. :3: Alberta really is Canada's Texas.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I think this next star might be the deciding factor, which means it's up to a game of luck to see who gets there first. And Calli has certainly had more luck than Michael thus far this board.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Since the last game was decided by a star hidden in a block, I'm going for Calli on this one.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Dang it, how come I never thought of Cheeseburger for VB and Chip?

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I originally saw that name combo on twitter shortly after they announced they were dating. So I thought it was just a thing. I'm glad everyone is enjoying this one.

CirclMastr posted:

Calli is going to win because Michael is throwing the game again.

I'm disappointed you'd think I would ruin the sanctity of the voting system.

We genuinely had fun with this board. I think it might be the best one of the game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Samovar posted:

Dang it, how come I never thought of Cheeseburger for VB and Chip?

I'm pretty sure that's half the reason they got together.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Warmal posted:

We genuinely had fun with this board. I think it might be the best one of the game.

It might also be relief at being able to win minigames.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There really aren't a lot of old Something Awful Let's Play regulars making LPs anymore, are there? Chip and Ironicus are the only ones that I can think of. Slowbeef has a job and a family to attend to, I haven't seen anything from Diabeetus in a while, same with the Pokecapn crew, and the Tipping 40s website is dead which wiped out all of their videos. Psychedelic Eyeball was one of the last ones until he got a ban that didn't show up in the Leper's Colony due to off-site silliness. Now he's just doing Twitch streams.

Never saw a Voidburger LP, probably never will either. I'd rather not get into why.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I think a big part of it aside from growing away from things is that streaming is seen as a lot more convenient. And really, if you're in a position where you need to make money at every moment, Twitch works for that a lot more than just making youtube videos. Of course, a lot of the above mentioned people started before that was really a thing, so I would never claim they're just in it for money. I just know that we personally could use every penny we can make. But we don't stream. We used to before making money was really a thing from it as well. But we're doing let's plays because it fits with our schedule a lot more. And I just remember being so drained after streaming. I'd like to do some special streams now and then, but I love working on let's play. From recording to editing to posting and making the threads. This is something that's really fun for me. And even if a lot of the people who influenced that love aren't doing it as much anymore, I'm still really happy with what they've done. It's simple fact that I wouldn't have found LP when I did if it wasn't for Retsupurae.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm pretty sure that TieTuesday (another Let's Play goon that no longer posts here or does LPs) does Twitch streams as his equivalent of a job. Getting paid to play video games for people on the internet seems fun on the surface, but it requires so much effort and planning. You have to constantly buy new games to play for the internet, have a schedule that's more or less consistent during multiple days a week, get your name out there with social media, and buy equipment for recording and the like. And God help you if Twitch changes their model in secret to a low enough payout that it's not even worth having a channel anymore, which is what YouTube did.

LPs are more low-effort and casual, both to make and to watch.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

There really aren't a lot of old Something Awful Let's Play regulars making LPs anymore, are there? Chip and Ironicus are the only ones that I can think of. Slowbeef has a job and a family to attend to, I haven't seen anything from Diabeetus in a while, same with the Pokecapn crew, and the Tipping 40s website is dead which wiped out all of their videos. Psychedelic Eyeball was one of the last ones until he got a ban that didn't show up in the Leper's Colony due to off-site silliness. Now he's just doing Twitch streams.

Never saw a Voidburger LP, probably never will either. I'd rather not get into why.

Actually, with regards to the T40s, their videos are all up on Youtube and Kuvo is still around and making LPs. He's even LPing FF15 with topiKal and (sometimes) bandunk right now. Unfortunately Marvelis is dead to the LP community, never to return.

But I suppose in general the main point of this is true. There's a lot of people who used to LP but no longer are LPing, especially those who were popular on SA. I'm sure they each have their own respective reasons why they stopped. Unfortunately, life must move on.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

get that OUT of my face posted:

the Tipping 40s website is dead which wiped out all of their videos.

On the bright side, Kuvo rehosted most of the stuff on YouTube. Even the podcasts!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

As far as team breakups, the T40s one went about as good as you can expect. It broke up because people moved out of town rather than any bad blood, the folks who wanted to keep LPing still make em, and the folks who were more in it for their friends have drifted away on the wind and keep in touch other ways (I assume, I'm not stalking their emails or anything, Kuvo just did a "where are they now" a while back).

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Picking Yoshi for this one

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I've noticed no one picking the computers. I WONDER why that would be.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Warmal posted:

I've noticed no one picking the computers. I WONDER why that would be.

Clearly the solution is two Hard computers so they kill each other and give you & Calli an actual chance.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Warmal: When you do Mario Party 3 will you be doing the Duel Boards also?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Bowser is a true hero of the revolution, helping the downtrodden in their time of need. Who'd have thought?

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Mario Party 3 is going to be kind of interesting. We haven't worked out the entirety of the details quite yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Wait what? There was aliens???? We finish up the run of Mystery Land, and I can't stress enough how much fun this was. The change made things so much better. Also, shout out to Circlmastr for helping me make this video actually editable for reasons that become apparent near the end. If it didn't work out, we would have had to rerecord and no one wanted that.

Mystery Land Part 2

Next time, we tackle the Roller Coaster as a side thing. And no, there won't be any voting this time.... you'll see why.

• Locked thread