Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

Anyone using low energy Bluetooth devices with a G5 Plus? I have a BLE heart rate strap, it works fine with the old Z3 Compact but not with the G5+. It can see it, but it gets no data. Ideas? (I've sent a support request as well).

e: if I can't quantify my exercise then TO HELL WITH IT

Update, returning it in exchange for a new one. Probably a bad Bluetooth chip, but since my headphones work fine I'm not entirely sure. Could be that it's simply implemented poorly or that the onboard chip sucks, in which case I'll get a cash refund instead as it does say on the box it supports BLE. Another thing in favor of cash return which I didn't catch before buying is that the Euro version of the G5 Plus has no magnetometer. So no compass and no compass derived snazzy features like AR starmap or Flightradar - all my previous smart phones have supported this.
This is my main gripe about Android, you never quite know what you get. The ecosystem contains a set of phone features. For each feature the iPhone has, you can find a better one somewhere in the Android set, but not all of them in the same phone. Fair enough that you can't find all the best features at 1/3 the price of an iPhone, but sadly every Android phone seems to have picked a few features from the really lovely set. How many cents could they have saved dropping the magnetometer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mister Facetious posted:

Overrated unless you need the security, or like NFC pay. If you run your phone unlocked like I did with my N5, then headphone jack placing won't matter.

Well I mean, I don't use my phone completely unlocked. I have smart lock set up so if I'm in my car I don't need to unlock as well as the location based one (when it works) unlocking my phone when I'm at home, but even when I'm not one of those places doing the pattern unlock takes literally a single second and I can't imagine a fingerprint scanner saving enough time that I'd consider it indispensable. I mean, maybe if I was using a pin that's 4+ digits long it'd be worth it, but I've literally not met a single person that does that outside of these forums. NFC pay doesn't matter because I don't have a Samsung phone that can interact with the magnetic reader, and enough stores either don't accept tap to pay or don't have it activated at registers here that actively trying to use it would be more trouble than just using my card.

I just don't get what's so appealing about fingerprint unlocks unless you already have a long pin I guess. If you have one because of work requirements or general security concerns then yeah sure, it's a godsend, but I don't and never have my phone out of my hand/pocket so it's literally never been an issue for me or anyone I know.

LastInLine posted:

It's like saying steering wheels are overrated because we've always had oars.

:rolleyes: I normally agree with you on stuff here but come on

I'm not saying it isn't really good or whatever, I'm just saying it sounds a whole lot less impressive than you think it does. I might be able to sell my parents on the G5 on it having incredible performance for its price, but they're not going to bat an eye getting it vs the S8 or whatever because they can unlock their phones a tiny bit faster with it. The next phone I get will probably have it and I'll love it but I've never understood why it alone is so amazing.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 2, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wrist Watch posted:

Well I mean, I don't use my phone completely unlocked. I have smart lock set up so if I'm in my car I don't need to unlock as well as the location based one (when it works) unlocking my phone when I'm at home, but even when I'm not one of those places doing the pattern unlock takes literally a single second and I can't imagine a fingerprint scanner saving enough time that I'd consider it indispensable. I mean, maybe if I was using a pin that's 4+ digits long it'd be worth it, but I've literally not met a single person that does that outside of these forums. NFC pay doesn't matter because I don't have a Samsung phone that can interact with the magnetic reader, and enough stores either don't accept tap to pay or don't have it activated at registers here that actively trying to use it would be more trouble than just using my card.

I just don't get what's so appealing about fingerprint unlocks unless you already have a long pin I guess. If you have one because of work requirements or general security concerns then yeah sure, it's a godsend, but I don't and never have my phone out of my hand/pocket so it's literally never been an issue for me or anyone I know.

:rolleyes: I normally agree with you on stuff here but come on

I'm not saying it isn't really good or whatever, I'm just saying it sounds a whole lot less impressive than you think it does. I might be able to sell my parents on the G5 on it having incredible performance for its price, but they're not going to bat an eye getting it vs the S8 or whatever because they can unlock their phones a tiny bit faster with it. The next phone I get will probably have it and I'll love it but I've never understood why it alone is so amazing.

What if you could have the security of a hundred digit passcode but it could be entered faster than the blink of an eye? So fast, in fact, that it would wake the device quicker than even if there was no security at all? What if your passwords, credit card information, and 2FA tokens were also protected by such security but also available to you, and only you, at an instant? What if you could have this security for the price of dinner? You can, because the rest of us have had it for half a decade now.

There are reasons to forgo a fingerprint sensor: You're a pedophile or you distribute narcotics. In both cases it's completely rational to rely on other forms of security. For everyone else, I'd argue a fingerprint sensor is about as close to indispensable as a feature could be. You either have an insecure passcode, have horribly insecure workarounds like trusted devices and places, or you're so inconvenienced that it's not worth using a smartphone for anything useful. God help you if you also use a password locker on your phone too.

If you won't pony up the, what, $20 to get your parents a secure phone... I mean, hey, maybe your childhood sucked and you want to get back at them but come on there have to be less hateful ways to accomplish that. The G5+ (with a fingerprint sensor!) is $230.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'll be the contrarian and say that the headphone jack being on the bottom is the one thing I don't particularly like about my G5+. Though I guess it's really just about unlearning all the habits I formed out of having a phone with the headphone jack on top, and it's not actually worse.

(It's also not actually better).

Fingerprint reader, though...I know everyone says this about every phone feature, but it really is one of those quality of life things you don't really see the big deal about until you've actually used one. (Which can go both ways. If you've never used one, it's not a big deal and there's no particular reason it should be.)

But they're really nice, so I assume that in the next year or two they will start getting phased out of new models in favor of a more expensive, less reliable technology.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Every phone I've had put the headphone jack in a different location compared to the previous one. Every time I've hated the new location until I got used to it and then hated the location I previously loved.

Bottom seems better for pocket use. Top seems better for music + charging on the desk or in the car.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I very much prefer headphone jack on top because it allows for this:

The superior flip case design.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SinineSiil posted:

If that doesn't have a T9 key pad on the inside, I don't want it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

:eyepoop:

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

LastInLine posted:

For everyone else, I'd argue a fingerprint sensor is about as close to indispensable as a feature could be.

Hi, I don't give a gently caress about fingerprint readers on android phones because it's intensely annoying to me that it prompts you for other authentication every few days. That's like the opposite of quick and convenient. I've given it a good go twice now, and both times it's lasted a few weeks before I've returned to the basic slide to unlock.

This is really my biggest bugbear with android, though I appreciate I'm probably not a standard user. There are "helpful" features that annoy the hell out of me and can't be turned off.

Another would be the fact it's totally impossible to disable the "large download" warning on the play store. No, gently caress off Google, I don't want to connect to Wi-Fi for this "enormous" 100mb download, much like the last 500 times you asked me. My phone has an 80mbit uncapped connection. Why would I want to find a public Wi-Fi connection which will probably charge me and be far slower than my data connection? I know why it's the default but let me turn the drat thing off.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

..btt posted:

Hi, I don't give a gently caress about fingerprint readers on android phones because it's intensely annoying to me that it prompts you for other authentication every few days.

You need to talk to your phone manufacturer cause that is not how its supposed to work. Certainly never did that on my 6p, pixel, s8, or oneplus5

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Did it on my 6p, still does it on my pixel xl

E: in fact I have complained about it in this thread previously and was told it does that by design

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

..btt posted:

E: in fact I have complained about it in this thread previously and was told it does that by design

Only time i get prompted for other authentication is after a reboot.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I suppose my phone must spontaneously reboot without closing any apps every few days then, I dunno. I just know it was annoying enough for me to turn it off and go back to a simple slide unlock both times I gave it a good shake. It's not like I need the security anyway, my phone is always with me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

..btt posted:

I just looked and you were told by one dude.

I certainly never had that problem on my S7 Edge and while that phone is a piece of poo poo in many other ways, it would never require more than a fingerprint unlock even with a month of uptime - unless you rebooted of course.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

On any of the 5x's I've used, it prompts every few days for your to enter your unlock code after you use your fingerprint.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Same here, my 5X has me enter my PIN every couple of days.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, my G5+ asks every so often for a PIN too.

There's probably a setting buried somewhere (though I couldn't find one under Security)

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Chiming in, my G5+ asks me to re-pin every few days. Just did it, actually.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Same here, my 5X has me enter my PIN every couple of days.

It's every 48 hours on stock Android. Fuckin lol at having to enter your PIN/password once every couple days being so "intensely annoying" that you switch back to having no security at all, though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

..btt posted:

I suppose my phone must spontaneously reboot without closing any apps every few days then, I dunno. I just know it was annoying enough for me to turn it off and go back to a simple slide unlock both times I gave it a good shake. It's not like I need the security anyway, my phone is always with me.

What if i told you you could have both slide to unlock and fingerprint at the same time.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Theris posted:

It's every 48 hours on stock Android. Fuckin lol at having to enter your PIN/password once every couple days being so "intensely annoying" that you switch back to having no security at all, though.

I only even enabled the security in the first place because you can't turn on fingerprint unlock without it. I don't need the security, my phone is always in my pocket.

I do appreciate I have a very low tolerance for UI issues though.

E: ^^^^ I'd ask you how because my phone won't let me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

..btt posted:

I don't need the security, my phone is always in my pocket.
Except when it isn't.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Except when it isn't.

I've welded my phone to my left inner forearm. It's really quite convenient and I hardly ever pass out from the pain any more.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Except when it isn't.

True, at work it's on my desk and I'm using it - like right now. And at home it's plugged into my charger. Not lost a phone in nearly 20 years now, so I'm willing to risk someone having temporary access to my email for a little convenience.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

My house has never been broken into so i got rid of all my locks...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

..btt posted:

I only even enabled the security in the first place because you can't turn on fingerprint unlock without it. I don't need the security, my phone is always in my pocket.

I do appreciate I have a very low tolerance for UI issues though.

E: ^^^^ I'd ask you how because my phone won't let me.

Why even bother with the fingerprint unlock then?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Because it was as fast and easy, except when prompting me for a password, and it is a small amount of extra security.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The Android Thread - Come for the hyperbole, stay for the derision!

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I'm waiting for someone to post about how I'm also wrong for wanting the option to disable the Wi-Fi warning :allears:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SinineSiil posted:

You'd have to mount the police badge on the outside or it would scratch your screen. :v:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

I just looked and you were told by one dude.

I certainly never had that problem on my S7 Edge and while that phone is a piece of poo poo in many other ways, it would never require more than a fingerprint unlock even with a month of uptime - unless you rebooted of course.

That's not true, it prompts for a password every once in a while if you use fingerprint, same as my Pixel. I've had a Note 5, S7, S7 Edge, and S8 for years now and they're all the same.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I use iris unlock on the S8 and it only asks for my pin if I go a full day without unlocking my phone. Otherwise I never have to type it in.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
New set of case renders show the Pixel 2 without a headphone jack:

http://www.gsmarena.com/cases_reveal_google_pixel_2_design_say_goodbye_to_the_35mm_headphone_jack-news-26535.php

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

All I care about in terms of headphone jack is that it's on the same end of the phone as the notification LED. Oh and that it has one.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Looking to replace my moto droid turbo (itself a replacement for one with a bad screen, so it's only a year and a half old but still)

I'm out of contract - is the moto g5 w/ ads on amazon the best budget phone? I imagine I'd go with the 4gb ram model over the 2gb one. Haven't looked into phones lately - my droid turbo with its 3900 mah battery can't make it to noon if I'm using it actively, I take it battery life hasn't really gotten better over the last two years?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Looking to replace my moto droid turbo (itself a replacement for one with a bad screen, so it's only a year and a half old but still)

I'm out of contract - is the moto g5 w/ ads on amazon the best budget phone? I imagine I'd go with the 4gb ram model over the 2gb one. Haven't looked into phones lately - my droid turbo with its 3900 mah battery can't make it to noon if I'm using it actively, I take it battery life hasn't really gotten better over the last two years?

That's the phone to get, the G5+ with 4GB.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Android, by design, prompts you to use your PIN like once a week. If you're not seeing that, its because you're rebooting your phone on an interval shorter than the interval for this PIN prompt.

Regardless, it's absolute insanity to think entering your PIN once or twice a week in exchange for fingerprint unlock is a huge irritating burden.

Also, if you're using fingerprint unlock remember that in the USA you can be compelled to unlock your phone by fingerprint by "the authorities" which isn't the case for a PIN/password. Also also, fingerprint technology is somewhat-easily bypassed if you're the specific target of someone rather than you just being the victim of a random theft or loss.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 2, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Android, by design, prompts you to use your PIN like once a week. If you're not seeing that, its because you're rebooting your phone on an interval shorter than the interval for this PIN prompt.

Regardless, it's absolute insanity to think entering your PIN once or twice a week in exchange for fingerprint unlock is a huge irritating burden.

But you don't understand, using a fingerprint reader is a small amount of security compared to nothing at all and the phone never leaves my pocket unless I leave it on my desk at work.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

LastInLine posted:

That's the phone to get, the G5+ with 4GB.

Cool . i'm reading a bit, there's a G5S+ as well? Worth waiting for that? i'd love to get the g5+ on an amazon sale but don't know how to predict it. No urgent need for it right now and can wait a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sites were saying the G5S might come out end of July but there's been no additional news. There's also rumors that the Moto X4 is going to cost $400, so it's hard to say if the G5S even has a place.