Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Or just store that poo poo in a pantry and not out in the open. I don't think half-boxes of pasta and cans of tuna laying out are contributing to anyone's aesthetic.

You can open store things that get used, the bigger issue is most people open store things that look nice but don't get used, like decorative glasses or whatever, and then they're all dusty and covered in a thin grease film when you need them. Also, open storing more than a few items creates a lot of visual clutter.

learnincurve posted:

I cannot stress enough the importance of a really good extractor fan. I have two, one above the oven and another along the main work surface, which is used far more than I thought it would be, mostly when serving up food.

A Good Idea. Don't get any weak-rear end fans above the stove, get something that can hold a sheet of paper on high.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

learnincurve posted:

if you boil a kitchen

I don't think you know how to cook

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I don't have a pantry :( another of the differences between the UK and America is that pantries are usually the domain of the rich, they simply were not designed into social housing, and having a utility room is rare as well. This is why our washing machines are in the kitchen

Th history of social housing in the U.K. is quite interesting from a house design POV. Links: https://fet.uwe.ac.uk/conweb/house_ages/council_housing/print.htm https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraced_houses_in_the_United_Kingdom https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-to-back_house

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a hallway closet right next to my kitchen and I just put a wire rack in half of it to serve as a pantry.

E: I don't even store food in cupboards anymore. It's so much easier having everything in one place where I can see it pick out items easily, without having to look through multiple cupboards or dig behind other items.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 2, 2017

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Why yes, this office building is supposed to be a private, single-family residence.

Just imagine how terrible the acoustics must be in this big open room with bare concrete floor:

What 2-story house wouldn't be complete without an elevator?

And let's just put an open fire hazard right in the middle of the stairwell. What could go wrong? The floor is made of concrete, remember?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The house we're moving into has a kitchen that just consists of the countertop that holds a sink and a few drawers, stove/oven, and fridge. So, I've been looking at cabinetry from places like Home Depot.

Unfinished oak cabinets aren't that expensive and if they really need to be fancied up you just paint+distress them if you want that dumb farmhouse look.

Just saying that dude cheaped the gently caress out on that kitchen (or blew too much cash and that sink at a going-out-of-business-sale for a restaurant), and that kinda makes me worried to spend 700k on that poo poo. Seeing things like that make you take a second look at other things and wonder where other corners have been cut.

For instance, what were these rooms before it was one big kitchen, and what's above the kitchen? You look at the walls and the ceiling, it looks like a wall was taken out somewhere. Was there a hallway there?

Also, I finally found the refrigerator. It's in the second picture in another room. Also also, if you're selling a house for 700 loving thousand dollars, at least make sure all the loving lights are working in your little chandelier you rear end in a top hat.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
At least its not the patented McMansion Understairs Chair.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My sister and I just accidentally found a shop that teaches you to make your furniture shabby chic with chalk paint (and sells chalk painted furniture). Very much not our thing. I should have expected shops like that exist.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Does running fingernails over chalk paint do the same thing as fingernails over chalkboard?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Question: if I were to sell some 30-45 year old furniture from Ethan Allen should I classify it as Late Century Traditional?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Doctor Butts posted:

Question: if I were to sell some 30-45 year old furniture from Ethan Allen should I classify it as Late Century Traditional?

As well as Gothic, Edwardian, Elizabethan, and a few others as well to up the hits during craigslist searches.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Progressive JPEG posted:

Does running fingernails over chalk paint do the same thing as fingernails over chalkboard?

Running fingernails over chalkboard is like running your eyeballs over chalk pain.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Late Century, Early American Style Ethan Allen Coffee Table for sale

Has time-worn features on top surface, otherwise in great condition.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I don't understand the whole utility room thing. Washing machines are fine in the kitchen, why do you need a whole separate room? I live in the UK and I see more and more listings with them on. I'd rather have an additional toilet or shower room

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a tiny one that fits a washing machine and has a work surface. It's amazing, you can run the washing machine without annoying the dogs, and leave washing powder/conditioner/wash basket out, store your ironing board and Hoover, and when you close the door it's like they don't exist.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Why yes, this office building is supposed to be a private, single-family residence.

Just imagine how terrible the acoustics must be in this big open room with bare concrete floor:

What 2-story house wouldn't be complete without an elevator?

And let's just put an open fire hazard right in the middle of the stairwell. What could go wrong? The floor is made of concrete, remember?

"1st Bedroom 18.2X24.6" 447.72 square foot bedroom? That bedroom is bigger than my whole apartment. :tviv:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Re utility rooms, in my case I've had one built for the purpose, and it's storage for washer / dryer / boiler / manifold / comms cabinet / cleaning stuff, but also acts as a side entrance for dogs and muddy boots.

I may or may not put a sink in but people often do as it's nice to be able to wash things there that you might not want to wash in the kitchen sink.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

tessiebee posted:

I don't understand the whole utility room thing. Washing machines are fine in the kitchen, why do you need a whole separate room? I live in the UK and I see more and more listings with them on. I'd rather have an additional toilet or shower room

In multilevel homes a utility room on the bedroom levels is super useful so I don't have to cart clothes up and down the stairs.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

tessiebee posted:

The idea of putting a washing machine in the kitchen is baffling to me as an American. Like, I get how it could happen(you're running plumbing there anyway), but it seems like it'd be really awkward to live with. Do you just shove it in a corner where it's out of the way of normal kitchen workflow, or what?

I've seen them in little offshoots near the kitchen, or down in the basement, or in an entry area that's not going to be used for anything but coats and shoes anyway, but never in the kitchen itself.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I stayed with my friends in London for a week and they just kept their detergent in the cupboard under the stairs and the basket was usually put away to the side. It wasn't really that bad, but the washing machines are way smaller too. Drying was done on the heaters or outside on a line. Their kitchen was nice and opened up to the garden.

I really preferred their space over the places I've been to in NYC and my own apartment. I like small spaces though.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Our washer/dryer are tucked away in a corner of the bathroom. The only annoying thing is they're behind the entry door so you gotta close the door to swap laundry. Otherwise it's a pretty economical in terms of space utilization. To be clear this is in the US, in a house built in 1925 that has gone through a few remodels.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Washing machine goes next to the sink, washer driers are fairly common here. We don't usually have waste disposal units, and an an alarming number of houses don't have space for a dishwasher, mine included.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Haifisch posted:

The idea of putting a washing machine in the kitchen is baffling to me as an American. Like, I get how it could happen(you're running plumbing there anyway), but it seems like it'd be really awkward to live with. Do you just shove it in a corner where it's out of the way of normal kitchen workflow, or what?

I've seen them in little offshoots near the kitchen, or down in the basement, or in an entry area that's not going to be used for anything but coats and shoes anyway, but never in the kitchen itself.

They go under the sink usually. If you have a dishwasher, that goes right beside it for minimum plumbing add ons. Tumble dryer (if you have one) goes anywhere there is a plug socket. Things tend to be under counter.

UK houses/flats are also loving tiny compared to USA so it is weird to me to carve off a bit of an already small space. Think it is linked to kitchens becoming much more of an open to visitors / entertaining space than they used to be, so 'unsightly' functions have to be moved elsewhere

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

tessiebee posted:

They go under the sink usually.
Oh, that makes sense. I'm used to the under-sink space being the traditional area to shove all your dishwasher detergent/kitchen cleaning supplies/spare sponges/etc.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
We do that too. Washing machine is normally off to one side and the cleaning stuff is in the cupboard

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Having it in the kitchen is handy. I never considered having to "hide" the washing machine. I really wish I had space for a dishwasher though.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

We have an obscenely wealthy family friend who had a washer and dryer installed in their master closet. It was so convenient that they converted their actual laundry room into a sauna.

It's a very large house.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
We often have the washer/dryer in a mudroom / secondary entry room. That makes sense given more severe weather, and once it exists, it makes sense to include laundry in its functions. The basement is another popular option.

I'd rather have a washer/dryer upstairs in a closet. You almost always want clean clothes and linen on the second floor, but people spend a ridiculous amount of time and energy carrying dirty things down and clean ones back up. It makes zero sense.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Anne Whateley posted:

We often have the washer/dryer in a mudroom / secondary entry room. That makes sense given more severe weather, and once it exists, it makes sense to include laundry in its functions. The basement is another popular option.

I'd rather have a washer/dryer upstairs in a closet. You almost always want clean clothes and linen on the second floor, but people spend a ridiculous amount of time and energy carrying dirty things down and clean ones back up. It makes zero sense.

Older less reliable machines and gallons of grey soapy water flooding the floor and probably ruining the ceiling of the floor below.

But if your equipment is reliable and/or you designed your laundry room to be capable of dealing with a flood I whole heartedly support laundry facilities up and out of the basement.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Where do people in the UK store their water heaters? Every "utility room" I've had growing up in the USA is the same room as the water heater and main breaker box. It usually stores general tools and cleaning supplies as well.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

acoustics can be so weird that there aren't many absolutes, but the guaranteed-death one is uninterrupted parallel hard surfaces. so congrats, this room couldn't be worse if it tried*

*it could be worse if they used non-acoustic q-decking for the ceiling

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Growing up, our utility room was usually between the kitchen and the garage.
Here, the washer is always next to the bathroom sink, which usually connects to the bath. The toilet is it another little room.

Content: Different kitchen shapes.
https://www.sooken.com/blog/kitchen-reform2/

Rough Translation:
"Open" "Front-Facing"Kitchen faces the dining/living area.
"Closed" "Wall-Facing" Kitchen faces a wall, or is a separate room.

Island Kitchen (Flat Wide Island)
+ easy to communicate
+ wide counter
+ looks fancy
- requires huge space
- kitchen smells and oil spread easily
- mess completely exposed

Peninsula Kitchen (Touching a Wall)
+ better control of smells and oil
+ more fan choices
+ wide counter
+ looks fancy
- no running around it in circles
- mess completely exposed

I Shape Kitchen (Semi-Open) (Peninsula with a wall counter)
+ hides the mess
+ better outlet placement
+ affordable and practical
- not an island!! oh no

L-Shape Kitchen
+ huge counter space
+ easy more than one person to use
- requires wide space, possibly shrinking dining area and/or losing back door
- hard to use corner space efficiently

II-Shape Kitchen (Galley/Separate Kitchen)
+ wide counter
+ clear division of sink and stove counters
+ hybrid of closed/open benefits
- wide and/or wonky work triangle
- not helpful if it means lots of tiny counters instead of one large counter

In summary, the I-Shape kitchen is most common in new kitchens here because you can still look into the dining/living area, but hide your stacks of dirty dishes.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You can stop the kitchen mess being exposed if you... clean it up.

I have an open kitchen with a bar I both prep and eat on, and cleaning as you go isn't that bad. I just put the prep bowls in the sink as I finish with them and wipe down the cutting board and counter really quick before plating. There might be a pot on the stove still but it's not a big deal.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Everyone hand-washes dishes and has a drying rack on the counter here. I can hide my spices in a drawer but the soap and sponge need to be in/around the sink.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

Everyone hand-washes dishes and has a drying rack on the counter here. I can hide my spices in a drawer but the soap and sponge need to be in/around the sink.

What a sad place to live.

PRADA SLUT posted:

You can stop the kitchen mess being exposed if you... clean it up.

I have an open kitchen with a bar I both prep and eat on, and cleaning as you go isn't that bad. I just put the prep bowls in the sink as I finish with them and wipe down the cutting board and counter really quick before plating. There might be a pot on the stove still but it's not a big deal.

Bootstrap yourself into domestic bliss.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Doctor Butts posted:

The house we're moving into has a kitchen that just consists of the countertop that holds a sink and a few drawers, stove/oven, and fridge. So, I've been looking at cabinetry from places like Home Depot.

Unfinished oak cabinets aren't that expensive and if they really need to be fancied up you just paint+distress them if you want that dumb farmhouse look.

Just saying that dude cheaped the gently caress out on that kitchen (or blew too much cash and that sink at a going-out-of-business-sale for a restaurant), and that kinda makes me worried to spend 700k on that poo poo. Seeing things like that make you take a second look at other things and wonder where other corners have been cut.

For instance, what were these rooms before it was one big kitchen, and what's above the kitchen? You look at the walls and the ceiling, it looks like a wall was taken out somewhere. Was there a hallway there?

Also, I finally found the refrigerator. It's in the second picture in another room. Also also, if you're selling a house for 700 loving thousand dollars, at least make sure all the loving lights are working in your little chandelier you rear end in a top hat.

The weird thing is that the rest of the house is pretty normal modern renova-

Wait what is the flooring? Is it bare concrete? Did they rip out the old carpet and forget to put in laminate?

And that's unfinished wood above the...balcony?

did they just paint over the old lovely siding back here

oh hey they didn't bother renovating the "family room" either

This is the worst layout. Gotta walk up the stairs through the not-kitchen around to the bathroom if you gotta piss in the middle of the night. There's loving plumbing down there in the suspiciously large laundry room you couldn't add a toilet??? Also the garage opens to the bedroom why

Holy poo poo someone cut corners hard here

TheMadMilkman posted:

We have an obscenely wealthy family friend who had a washer and dryer installed in their master closet. It was so convenient that they converted their actual laundry room into a sauna.

It's a very large house.
My laundry is in my bedroom too but it's not because I'm rich the apartment is just too tiny (461sf) to put it elsewhere. The bedroom is like 9x9, it fits a double bed, a nightstand and two 2'-wide closets (one with the stacked laundry) with little room to spare. No room in the~ 4x6 bathroom or the kitchen-living room combo. It's actually a nice apartment for 1 person but you have to get creative with storage.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Youth Decay posted:

oh hey they didn't bother renovating the "family room" either

i'm sure that ceiling tile is made of 100% mom-approved and totally legal-in-2017 substances

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Youth Decay posted:

Also the garage opens to the bedroom why

That garage used to be twice as large. That bedroom is probably terrible and also full of CO2 since no one who turns a garage into a bedroom remembers about gas infiltration.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Tricky Ed posted:

That garage used to be twice as large. That bedroom is probably terrible and also full of CO2 since no one who turns a garage into a bedroom remembers about gas infiltration.

ten bucks there's a door directly to the garage (for vague 'convenience') with a gap of at least an inch under it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

learnincurve posted:

I have a tiny one that fits a washing machine and has a work surface. It's amazing, you can run the washing machine without annoying the dogs, and leave washing powder/conditioner/wash basket out, store your ironing board and Hoover, and when you close the door it's like they don't exist.

Exactly. Washing machine, dryer, furnace, and water heater all go in that room. Added bonus, put in an exhaust fan and all the humidity and heat generated by the gas water heater burner and the washer/dryer running doesn't go into the rest of your house so you don't have to air condition it out, and a floor drain so a leak isn't a water damage catastrophe.