Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Cactus posted:

Doin it right now. Levelled Luke to 85 and am getting him to at least g10 and all abilities omegad. If this doesn't pay off my chances of falling away from the game as a result are quite high.

I think the rumor is that you'll need a leveled Luke to beat enough tiers to unlock Commander Luke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

CaptainPsyko posted:

You should probably just hold on to the mats until we know one way or the other to avoid this sort of crushing disappointment.

It's not like there's a cooldown on leveling up characters.

Definitely. 75 and g7 is where i would stop until more info is available

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm saving yellow mats anyway because I'm close to getting zader and all the rest of the stuff I need except gear I have plenty of. At least at g10 I'll be able to use him in raid squads.

Edit: feels good to finally be at the stage where I have no really pressing needs to put my credits anywhere.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 2, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Cactus posted:

From days ago, but yes.

E: just had a look, 2 spots are currently empty so add me on 561-766-648 anyone that wants in.

Sent you a friend request from my phoenix squad test account.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
This game feels so awful when you're behind the meta. I've gone from spending hours rearranging mods, planning gear and so forth to just logging in for 15 minutes to do my dailies and collect carbantis. Only 300 more and I'll have a competitive team! By which point new Luke/Leia/Han will have come out, the meta will have shifted again and I'll still be running to stand still.

I think my best plan at the moment is just to stockpile gear, farm shards and try to jump on whatever the new hotness is once the update lands.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

Sent you a friend request from my phoenix squad test account.

Just saw 2 requests, sent both invites, one of those is probably you

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Vulpes posted:

This game feels so awful when you're behind the meta. I've gone from spending hours rearranging mods, planning gear and so forth to just logging in for 15 minutes to do my dailies and collect carbantis. Only 300 more and I'll have a competitive team! By which point new Luke/Leia/Han will have come out, the meta will have shifted again and I'll still be running to stand still.

I think my best plan at the moment is just to stockpile gear, farm shards and try to jump on whatever the new hotness is once the update lands.

I've pointed out before that you should work on plug/play good toons for arena. poo poo like Rex, Zylo, GK, Chaze, R2D2, Nihilus, Thrawn... these toons can fin in most any comp, but they're not the ONLY ones.

That being said if you are done with/don't have access to those toons, stockpiling gear is probably your best bet.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Alternatively, forget about arena and use whoever you like the most, rank be damned.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Neutron posted:

Alternatively, forget about arena and use whoever you like the most, rank be damned.

This is a method several goons have adopted. They'd say they didn't regret it, but ultimately you have to pick what matters to you more.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, chasing the arena meta was burning me out quickly so I stepped back there to focus on my raid teams. As long as I finish high enough to get 600 points, I'm cool with that.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I aim for under 200 and call it a day.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Why do people think you'll need to use your own Luke to unlock Commander Luke (other than a star level threshold)? Don't they usually give you a pre-fab character when it's a solo event and then turn you lose with a Rebel/Empire/Droid or whatever team for the "bonus" level of the event? I guess I can't remember what it was for his last event?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 2, 2017

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I barely ever even do my full 5 daily PvP fights anymore, normal or ships, it's virtually pointless and takes too long.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Crumbletron posted:

I aim for under 200 and call it a day.

Agreed. Get that 600. Arena for new players is crazy, though. So many people either see it as an opportunity to whale it up on a fresh shard or just ignore ships to to get Chirrut in the ship store.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Wintermutant posted:

Yeah, chasing the arena meta was burning me out quickly so I stepped back there to focus on my raid teams. As long as I finish high enough to get 600 points, I'm cool with that.

Yeah, top 200 can and should be everyones loving bare minimum for arena performance. Higher = more crystals, which is obviously better, but top 200 is the cut-off for 2 arena shop purchases/day.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

Why do people think you'll need to use your own Luke to unlock Commander Luke (other than a star level threshold)? Don't they usually give you a pre-fab character when it's a solo event and then turn you lose with a Rebel/Empire/Droid or whatever team for the "bonus" level of the event? I guess I can't remember what it was for his last event?

The commander luke event, but all accounts, is going to be unlike anything experienced before, and because of the like gear flash events we had a few months back and Farmer Luke being the login character of the month of August, everyone is surmising that you'll need Luke to unlock Commander Luke.

We could be wrong, but I don't think so. They're telegraphing pretty hard about this.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, top 200 can and should be everyones loving bare minimum for arena performance. Higher = more crystals, which is obviously better, but top 200 is the cut-off for 2 arena shop purchases/day.

I heard someone on a board (not this one) say that arena rank determines difficulty of who you face in GW. (This was in response to me asking why I faced a Lando all by himself in Arena at rank, like, 250 once. The answer was, "Probably trying to drop arena rank real fast to make GW easier." Is that true?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chilichimp posted:

The commander luke event, but all accounts, is going to be unlike anything experienced before, and because of the like gear flash events we had a few months back and Farmer Luke being the login character of the month of August, everyone is surmising that you'll need Luke to unlock Commander Luke.

We could be wrong, but I don't think so. They're telegraphing pretty hard about this.

I'll add that the snippets of text they're released about it so far mention things like Luke "going on a journey" or something like that, so it sounds like he'll have to be the one to get you there.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

I heard someone on a board (not this one) say that arena rank determines difficulty of who you face in GW. (This was in response to me asking why I faced a Lando all by himself in Arena at rank, like, 250 once. The answer was, "Probably trying to drop arena rank real fast to make GW easier." Is that true?

We now know that GW difficulty also factors in the team you use to clear the first few modes of GW.

Also, regarding arena power. I think the rule was that the highest power squad you've used determines GW difficulty, further calculated by the power of characters used to clear nodes 1/2.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chilichimp posted:

We now know that GW difficulty also factors in the team you use to clear the first few modes of GW.

If that's true, then I think you could get more bang for your buck by hanging out at rank 390 than 190. You only lose 15 crystals and 100 arena currency, but if it helps you beat GW, I think it's a net gain?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

If that's true, then I think you could get more bang for your buck by hanging out at rank 390 than 190. You only lose 15 crystals and 100 arena currency, but if it helps you beat GW, I think it's a net gain?

It's power of Arena team, not rank.

Also, top 200 is the bare minimum because that's the cut-off for 2 arena shop purchases/day. Lower than that blows and no one should accept that mediocrity.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chilichimp posted:

Also, top 200 is the bare minimum because that's the cut-off for 2 arena shop purchases/day. Lower than that blows and no one should accept that mediocrity.

Don't you get 600 arena currency at just under 200, with everything costing 400? How is that 2 purchases per day?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

The flash event just required you to have a certain star Luke, though. I'm just saying I wouldn't be pumping resources into him other than getting him to 7* with a reasonable amount of gear until we know exactly what's going on.

It would cause a riot if they put you in a situation where you need a 7*/GL 10 or 11 Luke to do a solo Luke event since that's hardly where the meta is in the game. The devs are too close to the playerbase to pull that.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Don't you get 600 arena currency at just under 200, with everything costing 400? How is that 2 purchases per day?

You get 200 tokens from completing your daily arena battles.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chilichimp posted:

You get 200 tokens from completing your daily arena battles.

Oh...right, my mistake.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

The flash event just required you to have a certain star Luke, though. I'm just saying I wouldn't be pumping resources into him other than getting him to 7* with a reasonable amount of gear until we know exactly what's going on.

It would cause a riot if they put you in a situation where you need a 7*/GL 10 or 11 Luke to do a solo Luke event since that's hardly where the meta is in the game. The devs are too close to the playerbase to pull that.

7* him, get him to G8, is my advice.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
SWGOH: Is my Luke pumpy enough?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I was top 500 for a long time. It's not that bad. You can make 2 purchases a day 3 out of every 4 days.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I think my two SWGOH goals is to get consistently in the top 50 in Arena for the extra crystals and be able to finish Galactic Chore if I want to, no problem, i.e. having enough high level teams that it doesn't matter what the 12th node P2W horror show team is, I can eventually beat it. Also, I'll be stoked when QGJ starts doing heroic haats.

This is a hard core P2W game and the business model isn't to my taste, so I don't pay to win. That said, it scratches the star wars itch.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Chilichimp posted:

Do I need those purchases for shard shop? I'm at the point where I'm working on 7*ing greedo and ughnot.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
I am taking a break from this for a bit. I need a break from the grinder that is this game. I will most likely be back in a bit when I am less burnt out on it. I will still be logging in here and there a few times a week but that's about it for now.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

xyigx posted:

I am taking a break from this for a bit. I need a break from the grinder that is this game. I will most likely be back in a bit when I am less burnt out on it. I will still be logging in here and there a few times a week but that's about it for now.

If (when) I eventually do this it'll be for good. An irl friend who I founded my guild with took a break and when he came back he was well behind the curve and couldn't get back to his previous arena positions. As far as I know the shard you start on can't be changed, so taking a break will put that account behind the curve of it's shard for a long time, until the meta moves significantly, or until you max out your characters and catch up to the whales.

My friend quit again a couple of months later and he definitely isn't coming back this time.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
welp, you need a 7* R2, Farmboy Luke, STHan, Leia, and Old Ben to 7* commander Luke. LIkely the event will be tiered with star rating giving you and equal star rating, hopefully. My Luke will be ready... I don't know about my Old Ben though.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Better burn all your crystals on refreshes

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Well gently caress... I've got Leia at like 4* and I'm hoping to get R2 to 7* with the event coming up. But poo poo... I don't even have Old Ben unlocked.

I hate these "SURPRISE, YOU DON'T HAVE THE CHARACTER!" events.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Man, I'm glad I had a weird compulsion to seven star all the characters in cantina tier one. I've got all the characters we need for it because of that.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I don't even have ten shards of Old Bay. Or Leia, since Lando Wiggs Ackbar and STH are my Rebels. And I just hit 7 Luke. Death to CG.

Dely Apple fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 3, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

7 star Old Ben? loving really?

Looks like Cantina Battles are the only place I see him available. Does he pop up anywhere else?

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
So for assholes like me who've ignored old Ben, it's pretty much impossible to 7 star his rear end before the event I guess. That's kinda garbage. At least the other events where you need 7-stars (palp, yoda, etc), at least you have a selection of characters you can 7-star. Blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I have them all at 7* except Farmboy himself, who's just hit 5*. He's an easy grind but I hope the event is still a little while away. Rebels going to be dominating the meta again I imagine, glad I didn't bust my rear end levelling Thrawn and Death Trooper.