Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/892794727426338816

RIP fast guy with frying pan hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Kyle Rudolph also finished with more fantasy points than Graham last season and finished top 3, with Bradford he's more than serviceable.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

MrSargent posted:

Kirk Cousins was a Top-5 fantasy qb last year, how is that not serviceable?

Well I'll admit that I glossed over Cousins and focused on Winston more. I'm a little down on Cousins this year because of the change in his receiving corps and the injury to Reed (again). Plus Cousins has burned me in the past. But I would gladly roll with him over Winston if I had DJ and AB.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Could everybody please just take 'er fuckin easy at training camp please??

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Ben Nevis posted:

The Packers literally drafted 3RBs this year. I don't think you blow three picks on at the position if you're happy with what you have there. It makes me leery of Montgomery at his current spot.

The packers also literally let their top two running backs from last year walk. They weren't going to open training camp with 1 running back on the roster.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Papes posted:

The packers also literally let their top two running backs from last year walk. They weren't going to open training camp with 1 running back on the roster.

I think if they're just bringing in backups you sign some cheap vets, someone who knows how to block. 3 picks is a lot to blow on any position and not something teams do with a clear number 1 guy on the roster.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Papes posted:

Exactly. Ty Montgomery is clearly a risk for the Packers: he's shown very promising ability with the limited number of snaps he's gotten, but the GM cannot just assume he won't get injured, can handle a full season of not just running with the ball, but picking blocking on passing plays as well. You roster three or four RBs in your 53-man year round, and you want a couple more guys in the spring to maybe develop or stick on a practice squad. Most NFL teams have five RBs and a couple FBs right now.

That said: GB management is right, and Ty Montgomery is a risk. I've grabbed him in a couple leagues in like ~3rd round, but I don't like him as a first round pick and I think he's in danger of being overvalued right now. Is he talented? Unquestionably. But for a first round pick in most formats I want a proven, healthy, reliable player with a good opportunity. Ty has the opportunity and the talent but he has not played 16 games as the starting 2-down or 3-down RB. And he won't, unless GB is satisfied that he can block.

e. Also it's worth pointing out that while Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones were higher picks, Devante Mays was a 7th round grab. By the 7th round, you have guys who are just competing to maybe make the roster if they show good work on special teams or can surprise bigtime by beating out a higher-round pick (who would then wind up practice squadded). And William Stanback is a UDFA former UCF star who was thrown off the team for failing multiple drug tests before going to VUU. He will probably not make the team.

Barring injuries, I expect GB to start the season with Ty as the starter, Williams and Jones as relievers/3rd down subs, Ripkowski as the FB and short-yardage/goal line back, and Mays on the practice squad. That is going to feel like a really shallow RB situation and if Montgomery doesn't show big improvement at blocking or gets hurt, they may have to go to free agency for someone to fill in.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 2, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

pubic works project posted:

Well I'll admit that I glossed over Cousins and focused on Winston more. I'm a little down on Cousins this year because of the change in his receiving corps and the injury to Reed (again). Plus Cousins has burned me in the past. But I would gladly roll with him over Winston if I had DJ and AB.

This will probably get me laughed at, but I think Cousins might have even better weapons than last year.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Montgomery is a top round pick now? The last time I drafted I was able to take him in round 7, granted it was a superflex.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/892814221443989504

bless be to yung shep

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Papes posted:

Montgomery is a top round pick now? The last time I drafted I was able to take him in round 7, granted it was a superflex.

LOL I looked at the below post too quickly and didn't notice this isn't the first fifteen picks, it's the first fifteen RBs.

Tiptoes posted:

Current PPR ADP per Fantasy Football Calculator.

I was skeptical of him earlier in the offseason but they're saying all the right things about him in Packers camp. How many of the names in front of him would you slot below Montgomery? At this point, I think I'd take him over Gurley and everyone after him.

So he's going late in the third and that sounds... reasonable to me, given his upside vs. risk.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Papes posted:

He's not yet, but his ADP is shooting up fast.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Did the GoonTier league die? :confused:

Or more sinisterly; was I banished :thermidor:

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Current league:

- 10 team managers
- .5 ppr
- standard roster (QB, RB, RB, flex, WR, WR, TE, D/ST)
- ESPN redraft

I'm looking for as non-intimidating a keeper system as possible. My current proposal is:

- one keeper per year
- no penalties to keep the player
- kept player can change each season
- kept players must be drafted or traded; no waiver pickups
- keepers can be traded but only one player total can be kept

Appreciate any feedback.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

One keeper per year just means everyone is keeping their first round pick and you're basically skipping the first round. Which especially sucks for anyone who like, picked 10th in your first draft. You're handing the first few teams Zeke, David Johnson, OBJ, Brown, etc. forever.

In my opinion you need to have: more than one keeper (or why bother), have keepers cost some round's pick that escalates each year (so a fifth round pick kept costs a 4th the following year, then a 3rd the year after, etc.) and maybe make it impossible to keep a 1st round pick from one year to the next.

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001

Suave Fedora posted:

Current league:

- 10 team managers
- .5 ppr
- standard roster (QB, RB, RB, flex, WR, WR, TE, D/ST)
- ESPN redraft

I'm looking for as non-intimidating a keeper system as possible. My current proposal is:

- one keeper per year
- no penalties to keep the player
- kept player can change each season
- kept players must be drafted or traded; no waiver pickups
- keepers can be traded but only one player total can be kept

Appreciate any feedback.

To me, no penalties to keep the player means it is your first round pick. If they don't keep anyone do they get a pick in the first? If not there is a penalty to not keep a player.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Leperflesh posted:

One keeper per year just means everyone is keeping their first round pick and you're basically skipping the first round. Which especially sucks for anyone who like, picked 10th in your first draft. You're handing the first few teams Zeke, David Johnson, OBJ, Brown, etc. forever.

In my opinion you need to have: more than one keeper (or why bother), have keepers cost some round's pick that escalates each year (so a fifth round pick kept costs a 4th the following year, then a 3rd the year after, etc.) and maybe make it impossible to keep a 1st round pick from one year to the next.

The way we do it is as follows:

Only players picked after the 6th are keeper eligible
3 year contracts (includes the year you drafted them)
Each year kept is minus one round
Waivers are a 12th. If you keep 2 waivers, it's a 12th and 11th to start, highest point total from the previous year is the 11th.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Where should I be looking for dynasty auction values? I talked my dynasty startup league into doing an auction draft, now I need to figure out what players are worth. I cannot find a single website with $$ values for dynasty rankings.

Edit: I was able to find this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O0k_A6BX_GQZYRqV4uMULKAg3stf9Ylj2YVJUSsMZ5Q/edit#gid=0 looks pretty cool! I guess I'll be using this and hoping it turns out well. Seems like I need to have a definite strategy of who I'm targeting going into this. It's a little overwhelming...

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 2, 2017

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Suave Fedora posted:

Wait, what? I hope not.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is anyone here a member of this Goon 2015+ Money Dynasty League? (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UnTCMrEn7Wx5ofw_mG_ke_htdtVIY1LZWr907Cx8gn8/mobilebasic)

I used your rules and tweaked them to create a ruleset for my dynasty league I'm starting this year. I have a question about the rookie/free agent draft...

Your rules say the first 4 picks are paid $20, fifth through eighth are paid $18, etc.

So what happens when a big name player like Antonio Brown becomes too expensive for someone to keep (since his salary increases 10% every year)?

He would go into the free agent pool for the rookie/free agent draft, and almost certainly go #1 overall. That means whoever drafts him gets him for $20? It seems like any top tier player that becomes too expensive to keep suddenly has an insanely valuable contract when drafted the next year.

Am I missing something? How do you handle this?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Is that the one Leperflesh posted about on the previous page? Looks similar.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes, that's our league.

If you had AB and he was too expensive, one option would be to drop him during the regular season: he'd then go on FAAB, and you could bid on him along with the rest of the league. You would have to keep him within your cap space until then, though, unless you had the foresight to drop him before the last FAAB of the season the season (which also means you're not competing for a championship...).

Alternatively, you could trade him to an owner willing to deal with his really high salary. That would be the only way to guarantee value for him... but in theory eventually his salary should be too high for every owner, and at that point you're back to dropping him.

However, you've probably identified a legit issue. We came up with those draft values kind of out of our asses and we're now entering the third year and might adjust them. Last year, there were no high-value free agents that got dropped; this year there might be, but we haven't unlocked yet so I dunno.

You could definitely do an auction draft instead of snake. The main reason we do snake is to give teams "draft picks" they can trade, but that's not necessarily a really great reason. So far we've only ever had a single draft pick get traded.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Suave Fedora posted:

Mikey Purp posted:

Wait, what? I hope not.

Annoyed that the thread closed.

I'm gonna create a new thread shortly to discuss this upcoming season. A number of you have PMed me about the league, and it's better to discuss all in one spot

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

However, you've probably identified a legit issue.

How did none of us think of that? We should address it this off-season. Dunno what the fix is, maybe a 'known studs are blind bid upon rather than rookie draft

Or if a players starting salary was 2x or more above the theoretical rookie draft 1st pick of $20 we do something different.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Leperflesh posted:

Yes, that's our league.

If you had AB and he was too expensive, one option would be to drop him during the regular season: he'd then go on FAAB, and you could bid on him along with the rest of the league. You would have to keep him within your cap space until then, though, unless you had the foresight to drop him before the last FAAB of the season the season (which also means you're not competing for a championship...).

Alternatively, you could trade him to an owner willing to deal with his really high salary. That would be the only way to guarantee value for him... but in theory eventually his salary should be too high for every owner, and at that point you're back to dropping him.

However, you've probably identified a legit issue. We came up with those draft values kind of out of our asses and we're now entering the third year and might adjust them. Last year, there were no high-value free agents that got dropped; this year there might be, but we haven't unlocked yet so I dunno.

You could definitely do an auction draft instead of snake. The main reason we do snake is to give teams "draft picks" they can trade, but that's not necessarily a really great reason. So far we've only ever had a single draft pick get traded.

This is a good question since I am the owner of several high priced guys in that league including AB84 and I have no idea how I'm gonna handle them and my impeding Saints-esque cap hell.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Varg posted:

the month of ACL deaths has begun

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/892876235180736512

I still felt one was coming soon

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

The way we do it is as follows:

Only players picked after the 6th are keeper eligible
3 year contracts (includes the year you drafted them)
Each year kept is minus one round
Waivers are a 12th. If you keep 2 waivers, it's a 12th and 11th to start, highest point total from the previous year is the 11th.

Thanks Leper, Felter and Matt. I agree with all points and liked the 6th round rule enough to add it to my proposal.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Zypher posted:

Annoyed that the thread closed.

I'm gonna create a new thread shortly to discuss this upcoming season. A number of you have PMed me about the league, and it's better to discuss all in one spot

:woop:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
So Ryan Tannehill is probably dead.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

pubic works project posted:

So Ryan Tannehill is probably dead.

Yeah I'm worried about fins WRs.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

CompeAnansi posted:

Yeah I'm worried about fins WRs.

I'd give Landry and probably Stills a bump actually

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This will probably get me laughed at, but I think Cousins might have even better weapons than last year.

He does. Garcon and Jackson are overrated. They get you a ton of yards but no TDs. Understandable for Jackson since he's a three route runner but Garcon always had that rep for being tough yet he get's muscled in the red zone.

Crowders coming along and Pryor looks like a legitimate NFL WR now. Josh Doctson is the key if they take a big leap though.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Christ, Desean Jackson is not overrated at all. I would actually argue he is one of the most underrated wrs of the past decade.

Every single qb he has ever played with has been significantly more efficient when he is on the field. Rotoviz did a write up on him a year or 2 ago and the jump in efficiency when he plays with a qb rivals elite WRs like Megatron and AJ Green.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Remember Bruce Ellington? Who was supposed to be a sleeper as the third receiving option in a Blaine Gabbert offense? And I said he was not good? And his injury saved people from himself?

He's gonna get cut :laffo:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jeremy Kerley and Anquan Boldin have been the only good Niners WRs in the past three years. And Kerley is "good" in a replacement level sense of being adequate, not like, elite in any sense.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
That's just because they won't free Blake Bell

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Who wants Alex Smith for a 1st

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Everybody is dying

https://twitter.com/Kat_Terrell/status/893210687018647552

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Question...

I'm doing a dynasty start up auction draft on NFL.com this year. When we do it, it will have average $$ values for each player on the draft board online. BUT, it has no way of knowing that this is a dynasty league, so those values will reflect a redraft league. Like it won't take age into effect, or that WR's are worth more due to longevity, or anything of that nature. I'm thinking I can use this to my advantage, because most of the league won't realize that.

Does this make sense? The entire league has never done an auction draft, OR a dynasty start up draft, so this is sure to be a complete poo poo show. I'm trying to figure out how to make sure I can use this to my advantage. Thoughts? Strategies? Ideas?

Thanks friends

RCarr fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

RCarr posted:

Question...

I'm doing a dynasty start up auction draft on NFL.com this year. When we do it, it will have average $$ values for each player on the draft board online. BUT, it has no way of knowing that this is a dynasty league, so those values you will reflect a redraft league. Like it won't take age into effect, or that WR's are worth more due to longevity, or anything of that nature. I'm thinking I can use this to my advantage, because most of the league won't realize that.

Does this make sense? The entire league has never done an auction draft, OR a dynasty start up draft, so this is sure to be a complete poo poo show. I'm trying to figure out how to make sure I can use this to my advantage. Thoughts? Strategies? Ideas?

Thanks friends

Makes total sense. The values for players will likely be quite different just considering your scoring settings. They will also change based on the terms your league has decided for keeper length and cost (e.g. can keep for X years at Y cost). Any kind of average value, be it auction cost or ADP, will need to be looked at differently under the context of a keeper/dynasty league.

• Locked thread