Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

akadajet posted:

so do not all hd blu ray players support all of the different hdr standards? if i wanted to buy one and not spend a fortune what should I get??

yes, there are only like three uhd blu-ray players that support dolby vision (but i think they all support hdr10)

to get dolby vision support, the cheapest option is the lg up970, which is like $250USD

the two oppo players are your other option but i think the cheaper of those players is like $500

the xbox one doesn't support dolby vision at this time, whether it can get it from some future update or not is unknown

that being said, the selection of dolby vision uhd discs is pretty thin right now

The Cabin in the Woods
Despicable Me
Despicable Me 2
The Fate of the Furious
Power Rangers (2017)
RED
RED 2
Resident Evil Vendetta (some just-released CG movie)
Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars (another just-released CG masterpiece)
Warm Bodies

and no one has a loving clue wrt announced future uhd discs because none of the companies care enough to confirm the hdr standard for their "coming soon to uhd blu-ray" press announcements

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

univbee posted:

yes, there are only like three uhd blu-ray players that support dolby vision (but i think they all support hdr10)

to get dolby vision support, the cheapest option is the lg up970, which is like $250USD

the two oppo players are your other option but i think the cheaper of those players is like $500

the xbox one doesn't support dolby vision at this time, whether it can get it from some future update or not is unknown

that being said, the selection of dolby vision uhd discs is pretty thin right now

The Cabin in the Woods
Despicable Me
Despicable Me 2
The Fate of the Furious
Power Rangers (2017)
RED
RED 2
Warm Bodies

and no one has a loving clue wrt announced future uhd discs because none of the companies care enough to confirm the hdr standard for their "coming soon to uhd blu-ray" press announcements

hmm yeah. all of those movies suck

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Instant Grat posted:

my new codec is "glare from the resistive touch screen plastic overlay"-aware and its called BOEOEOEOING-69

Heehee

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

akadajet posted:

I'm sure they'll add choice titles like The Emoji Movie soon

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

akadajet posted:

so do not all hd blu ray players support all of the different hdr standards? if i wanted to buy one and not spend a fortune what should I get??

u want to buy an ultra hd blu-ray player? buy an xbox one s if you're buying now, or the xbox one x when it comes out this fall.

they basically cost the same as the standalone blu ray players that support 4k blurays and hdrs etc. specific dolby vision support is due out in a few months for s

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

specific dolby vision support is due out in a few months for s

first i hear of this, got a link?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

akadajet posted:

lol these are movies that normal people watch when they want the best. get over it.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

HDR10 and Dolby Vision share a lot of similarities,

UHD Blu-Ray requires you to support HDR10, Dolby Vision is an optional add-on, much like DTS audio was in the DVD Days

Dolby Vision adds features like Brightness/Color management, and the ability to play higher bit-depth material through limited bit-depth RGB displays (12-bpc YUV packed into a 10-BPC RGB container)

FM baby

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fishmech posted:

u want to buy an ultra hd blu-ray player? buy an xbox one s if you're buying now, or the xbox one x when it comes out this fall.

they basically cost the same as the standalone blu ray players that support 4k blurays and hdrs etc. specific dolby vision support is due out in a few months for s

i got an xbox s on prime day and it's nice that they finally made the os run reasonably well

i wouldn't spend 500 earth dollars on an xboxox though

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

sigh, cant anybody rtfm?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_HD_Blu-ray

1. 3840x2160
  2. 10-bpc
  3. HDR10
  4. Rec.2020 Gamut
  5. 4:2:0
  6. HEVC up to 128Megabits per second
  7. AACS2
  8. Dolby Vision Optional

HDR-10 is oh so screen referred, so were in the same boat as DVD with no color or brightness management standard other than what TV manufacturers can think up next!!!

pagancow fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 2, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

univbee posted:

The Cabin in the Woods
Despicable Me
Despicable Me 2
The Fate of the Furious
Power Rangers (2017)
RED
RED 2
Warm Bodies

i don't want to see those movies

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the secret to improving those movies with hdr is that they just blind the viewer with retina-searing brightness within the first few seconds, leaving them blessedly unable to view the rest of thee movie

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

akadajet posted:

Cabin in the woods is good

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the secret to improving those movies with hdr is that they just blind the viewer with retina-searing brightness within the first few seconds, leaving them blessedly unable to view the rest of thee movie

i wonder how long until maxell releases a corrective laser eye surgery uhd blu-ray disc

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i'm still legit ashamed at how many lovely movies i rented or bought as a teenager just to see the dts light on my surround decoder light up

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The secret to improving your posts is to do the same thing.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

The_Franz posted:

i'm still legit ashamed at how many lovely movies i rented or bought as a teenager just to see the dts light on my surround decoder light up

i feel safe saying this in the video codec thread, but i don't give a poo poo about sound quality. not an iota. the tv's rear speakers are perfectly fine and i'm not even sure what a receiver actually does.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i feel safe saying this in the video codec thread, but i don't give a poo poo about sound quality. not an iota. the tv's rear speakers are perfectly fine and i'm not even sure what a receiver actually does.

Surround sound is fantastic for video games and I strongly recommend it. As far as what a receiver does, it's all in the name buddy, like a toaster

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
There was an audiophile forum post where a guy filled his receiver with caulk and it was hilarious but I can't find it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

hooking up the rca-outs from your tv to a boombox is sufficient imo :can:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

hooking up the rca-outs from your tv to a boombox is sufficient imo :can:

that's pretty much what everyone did with those EXTREME MEGA BASS mini stereos in the 90s

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

yeah, even that is usually a big upgrade from the tiny little internal speakers your tv has. when i was a teenager i inherited a 1970s receiver and wooden box speakers of my uncle's, and boy let me tell ya it was a lot more exciting to play street fighter on the dreamcast with those bad boys hooked up

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

you do realize that 10,000 nits is like a 75w incandescent bulb, right? it's not that bright

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

you see way brighter things when you go outsid.a.hahahahahha who am I kidding

YVCPOS birch

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

pagancow posted:

you do realize that 10,000 nits is like a 75w incandescent bulb, right? it's not that bright

through what area? a 75w bulb is going to be eye searingly bright if you stick it right in front of your eye but is ok over a larger solid angle

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

through what area? a 75w bulb is going to be eye searingly bright if you stick it right in front of your eye but is ok over a larger solid angle

a square meter

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Dolby claimed in some interview that users wanted it to be over 20,000 nits in testing, but they settled on 10,000 because it reasonably fits into 10-bpc without banding.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

more bright = better than

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
who cares if it makes the black and dark areas of the picture washed out and milky, we want BRIGHTER

lol because movies don't have rich, contrasty shadows anymore anyway. big budget movies use that awful, low-contrast, straight-down, overhead "overcast" soft lighting that still somehow looks overlit, so they don't have to work as hard to match the CG to the live action

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

it's dynamic range, not brightness. the ability to do shadows is meant to also be improved (although in practise it's just not going to get worse)

also 10k nits looks sweet as and is a visible improvement on 4k

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I would honestly probably take hdr or >8 bit color / better gamut @ 1080p over 4k

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pagancow posted:

Dolby claimed in some interview that users wanted it to be over 20,000 nits in testing, but they settled on 10,000 because it reasonably fits into 10-bpc without banding.

wait, isn't the entire point of it being a bunch of standards that it is on a curve? i would have thought that you would need only very sparse steps (and with that fractions of bits) above 10,000 nits? or can people actually differentiate much on that end of the scale?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yospos as gently caress

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

in theory 10-bit pq follows one of the barten curves for just-noticeable difference, so it sits right on the line where if you take code points away you start to see banding. in practise, dolby almost certainly can't get a 20k nit screen going.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i legit thought that human vision was such that you'd need very very few points on that curve as you headed into the very bright range, to the point where you could just push stuff off exponentially. i have no motivation for *why* that would be (beyond a sense that artifacting in very dark areas used to be very noticeable in ye olde encodes) though

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

that's exactly the case, but the dark regions can't afford to lose the ~50 points you'd need to reasonably cover 10,000 - 20,000 without visible banding.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ah, so the mystery then is who was cheap enough to decide to go 8 -> 10 bpc when 12 bpc would have been the correct choice. thanks for the info

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

10bpc had the advantage of existing infrastructure. prores is 10-bit, SDI is already all 10-bit and 10-bit HDMI came in just in time to be used. you can also pack 10-bit into a 32-bit integer. 12bpc is basically as many as you'd ever need though, and that's where all the intermediate formats will probably go.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

BARTEN RAMP MOTHERFUCKERS

PQ GAMMA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

• Locked thread