Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Where do I start with The Rolling Stones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Kvlt! posted:

Where do I start with The Rolling Stones?

The Big Four:
Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

...followed by Some Girls.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I'm not a huge rap guy, I only really listen to a couple modern rappers like Kanye and Kendrick, but I watched the Defiant Ones on HBO and it made me want to try some of the old Death Row Records artists. My question is if the Death Row Records Greatest Hits album is any good or if I should try something else to get a sampling of those artists.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm not a huge rap guy, I only really listen to a couple modern rappers like Kanye and Kendrick, but I watched the Defiant Ones on HBO and it made me want to try some of the old Death Row Records artists. My question is if the Death Row Records Greatest Hits album is any good or if I should try something else to get a sampling of those artists.

There's only like... five Death Row albums you need to listen to, so - like, that comp looks fine, but if you have the slightest interest in rap you're gonna want to listen to albums like The Chronic or Doggystyle or All Eyez On Me anyway

e: I mean technically plenty of people associated with Death Row made great records but that's like a step beyond the absolute entry level

Ras Het fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 14, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'll add Wu-Tang's first album as essential listening. That opened up the doors for me

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
While we're on rap, is there anything with that thick, noisey production and really dense, awesome lyricism that Dälek has? Preferably without being horribly degrading to women? (I hate Death Grips and Clipping)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cymbal Monkey posted:

While we're on rap, is there anything with that thick, noisey production and really dense, awesome lyricism that Dälek has? Preferably without being horribly degrading to women? (I hate Death Grips and Clipping)

You should try the recommendations thread instead, but you might be interested in Justin Broadrick's (Godflesh, Jesu, etc) project Techno Animal. Also most things El-P has produced.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Henchman of Santa posted:

You should try the recommendations thread instead, but you might be interested in Justin Broadrick's (Godflesh, Jesu, etc) project Techno Animal. Also most things El-P has produced.

You had me at Jesu.

haricots
Apr 12, 2014

Noise music
I'd like to know how to get into Noise music please.

I'm pretty much a musical débutant. I only began to seriously explore music about two years ago and before that time my listening habits consisted almost entirely of System of a Down, The Beatles, and Metallica. I've come a pretty far ways since then but I still feel very uncomfortable and overwhelmed when I explore new genres on my own and I attempt to separate the quality stuff from the garbage, or when I try to figure out which albums I need to listen to in order to get a good sense of the basics and which ones I should save for when I've developed a better ear for it and can appreciate the finer qualities.

As I become more experienced I've found my tastes drifting more and more towards the extreme metal/industrial side of things. Noise is sort of the next step it feels, and it really interests me, but I want to make sure I get it right.

I know there are couple of Phiz dudes around here who'd probably be able to help me out a lot. I'd like to know what'd be best for me to listen to first, as well as a few bands/albums that aren't as entry-level for later. Also where do I go on the internet to keep up with this stuff, are there any communities for this kind of thing or is it all scattered throughout a million blogs that I'll never be able to find on my own or what?

You know what, that last part also applies to Death/Black metal. If it isn't too annoying, could you also tell me what the good places are for learning more about those genres and where I should go in order to stay current on the (actually decent) new stuff?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

it kinda depends on what kind of noise you want to get into. like really harsh stuff? more structured song type material with guys yelling? more jammy improv kind of stuff? what noise(or industrial in general) have you heard and what did you like about it? also, while there's a bit of crossover between metal and noise in certain circles they're mostly different scenes so liking one doesn't necessarily mean you'll be into the other. you probably also want to ask in the ambient drone noise thread in phiz for more phizpinions.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Megaschmoo posted:

Noise music

A few good starting points:
- Harry Pussy LP (Siltbreeze Records, rereleased last year on Superior Viaduct)
HP really defined noise rock even if very few people actually get it. The main problem is that the noise rock genre very rarely contains actual noise. For some reason the term mostly stuck to Touch & Go and Amphetamine Reptile bands which were mostly minimal and sludge rock (Cows being one of the exceptions, they were noisy as hell). Skin Graft, too, but they had Arab on Radar at least who did really interesting things with guitar sounds. T&G and AmRep noise rock bands were really intelligent and funny but still adhered to the standard rock tropes (machismo especially), even if they subverted them.
HP just destroyed those tropes - the LP is 21 minutes long and at first you'll think that it contains just random notes and screaming but after few listenings you'll hear the beauty, like the improv on the second part of Fuckology, the almost blues-jam I Don't Care About Sleep Anymore or the ridiculous Kraftwerk cover at the end. Bill Orcutt, the guitarist, now plays solo (mostly acoustic) improv and his albums are fantastic. Adris Hoyos (the drummer/screamer) now plays in Elklink with Graham Lambkin (her husband).

- The Dead C
Three guys from New Zealand playing what they themselves call "free rock". All of their albums are just compilations of the best parts from their lengthy improv sessions so sometimes you'll get 15 minutes of straight feedback but also the most beautiful stuff imaginable if you give it time. Just listen to "Outside" on The White House album. It's mindblowing. That album and "Secret Earth" are their best starting points. Keep in mind that it's all slow listening stuff. You've got to learn to appreciate it.

- Gravitar
A Detroit band (Dearborn I think), they played what I would call ecstatic noise. Edifier would be my album of choice for them. They had a fantastic drummer. Lots of improv but also actual songs like the fantastic version of a Skip Spence's "Diana".

- The Hospitals and The Hunches
Both started out as garage bands but were so loud and abrasive they didn't really fit the genre. Hairdryer Peace and Exit Dreams are both perfect albums (ED is my choice for the best rock album of 00s) - lo-fi as hell but also very rich texturally and loving bonkers. There were some overlap between both bands and both albums were the pinnacle of the lo-fi revival of the 00s.

- Yellow Swans
They released two albums with really beautiful noise at the very end of their "career": At All Ends and Going Places. Check out these two and work your way backwards through their HUGE catalogue of CDRs, cassettes and other stuff. Perfect band.
Pete Swanson solo stuff is mostly noise-techno, you might want to check it out if you like that kind of stuff.

- Mouthus
Very similar to Yellow Swans in that they were a duo and also had a huge amount of records and left their most beautiful (and dare I say, accessible) material for the end of their career. Check out "Saw A Halo". One of the guys now plays in United Waters which is basically Mouthus-lite.

- Air Conditioning
You should basically check out all Load Records (RIP) catalogue but AC stand out as one of the fiercest and, what's most important, AN ACTUAL BAND. You'll see lots of solo artists just screaming through some guitar pedals at a local modern art gallery but that's pretty easy. People like AC, Sword Heaven and Sightings played free noise as a collective and really worked on the structures of their, um, songs even if it's hard to hear. AC is really good if you want some dark, heavy noise stuff.

- as usual, various compilations like Tiger Tongue Pussy Cactus, Hall of Mirrors, Ambient Not Not Ambient (lots of noise despite the title).

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Megaschmoo posted:

Noise music

pharmakon, wolf eyes (& associates but esp hair police), black dice, skaters, axolotl, smegma, ramleh, msbr, incapacitants, yellow tears, maurizio bianchi, genocide organ, whitehouse

listen to white mice, sightings, the goslings and some of the bands in the post above mine if you want noise rock

if you have archives there was a pretty good industrial / power electronics thread a few years back

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 26, 2017

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

How about starting with Bowie? Late last year, I bought The Man Who Saved The World because I really liked the track 'Saviour Machine', but I haven't tried any of his other stuff (of course, I know about Golden Years and Changes).

I'm a huge Beatles fan, and I've gotta say: Bowie is interesting. His music contains a lot of unexpected chord changes and flourishes. Very few of his songs go in the direction you were necessarily expecting.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 31, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There is no way I can possibly answer this well, but I started with The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars for his earlier work, and Low for his Berlin stuff.

I'm sure someone with a more detailed knowledge can help more.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

How about starting with Bowie? Late last year, I bought The Man Who Saved The World because I really liked the track 'Saviour Machine', but I haven't tried any of his other stuff (of course, I know about Golden Years and Changes).

I'm a huge Beatles fan, and I've gotta say: Bowie is interesting. His music contains a lot of unexpected chord changes and flourishes. Very few of his songs go in the direction you were necessarily expecting.

I did a longer effort post much earlier in the thread, but the easiest way would be to pick up a greatest hits compilation (I'd say this one because it has stuff from every album), then take note of the songs you like most and listen to the albums they're from, he went through a lot of styles so there is lot of ground to cover. There isn't really a bad period for me, but most people would agree you can skip from anything after Let's dance up to Earthling or Tonight

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Where do I start with Kylesa and Black Tusk?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hunky Dory is his most Beatlesy album (Oh! You Pretty Things is the best McCartney song McCartney never wrote) and one of his best. Ziggy Stardust is the best intro for his commercial peak. "Heroes" is a good starting point for his more experimental phase. Blackstar is the best album he made after 1980, but it's wildly different than anything else he's done.

texting my ex posted:

Where do I start with Kylesa and Black Tusk?

For Kylesa I'd start with Static Tensions and then work backward if you want heavier stuff or forward if you want a more streamlined sound. I've only heard Set the Dial from Black Tusk but I'm fairly confident you could pick one at random.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars
Hunky Dory

Then you can spread out into Aladdin Sane (kind of like a more experimental Ziggy; I know quite a few people who declare this as their favorite), Young Americans (very soulful R&B), Low, and Heroes. They each have a different feel, and Young Americans and Heroes are the poppier of that batch. After that, you'll have a clear idea of what eras you want to go into. (Bowie got very weird in the 80's).

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars
Hunky Dory

Then you can spread out into Aladdin Sane (kind of like a more experimental Ziggy; I know quite a few people who declare this as their favorite),

I love it for the Mike Garson piano solo on the title track.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Jesus and Mary Chain?

I just heard the track Dirty Water and I loved it.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

me your dad posted:

Jesus and Mary Chain?

I just heard the track Dirty Water and I loved it.

Dirty Water is extremely unrepresentative of Mary Chain's career. Listen to Stoned & Dethroned and if you really like it, try Darklands. Then Psychocandy, Honey's Dead, Automatic and the rest, I guess

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I checked out some of their other stuff and it was more in line with my perceptions of the band. Dirty Water could have been a T-Rex track.

silencekit
May 1, 2014

I don't like The Fall, but I want to. I like the record Mark E. Smith made with Mouse on Mars as Von Sudenfed. I've tried so many times to have my moment of understanding with The Fall, and it just never happens. Can anybody point me toward a good entry point? Not Hex Enduction Hour. I've tried.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

silencekit posted:

I don't like The Fall, but I want to. I like the record Mark E. Smith made with Mouse on Mars as Von Sudenfed. I've tried so many times to have my moment of understanding with The Fall, and it just never happens. Can anybody point me toward a good entry point? Not Hex Enduction Hour. I've tried.

if you don't like hex and earlier it may be an exercise in futility but read mark fishers pulp modernism essays if you haven't, they helped clarify things for me early on

http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/007759.html
http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/008993.html
http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/009039.html

try perverted by language or this nation's saving grace or bend sinister if you want a more accessible sound. infotainment scan if you like when they incorporate electronics. middle class revolt also might be worth a shot...

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Some of the 90s albums sound like the Von Sudenfed record. Shift-Work might be a good one to try, or maybe The Marshall Suite. And Infotainment Scan is good too yeah

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Hex is one of the worst starting points because that's basically where they went all avantgarde, like they wanted to show they were more than just (post-)punk. It is a GREAT album to come back to after you've familiarized yourself with the band a little.

The Fall are so old their career should be talked about in stages. It goes something like this:
1. straight up punk - all the stuff up to and including their first LP after which the whole squad basically quit leaving MES alone. At Witch Trials has the best punk drumming you'll ever hear.
2. garage post-punk - MES invites three 18-19 year old Mancunian punks to play with him, this somehow turns out to be the best squad they ever had in their whole history and they produce AMAZING albums. Grotesque may be the best for starters. Slates EP is often cited as the best 10'' record ever made (and I would agree).
3. avantgarde - Hex, Perverted By Language, Room To Live, keep away from these if you're starting, but these are some of the best stuff they ever did. Heavy, dense. The lyrics on Perverted are just otherworldy, no one came close to that level of writing in rock music (be it punk or any other genre).
4. relative popularity - they were signed by Beggars Banquet and went a bit more radio-friendly, even played to a ballet. This Nation's Saving Grace is a highlight of that era and is the album most loved by indie fans as Pitchfork touts it as their best for some reason. Bend Sinister is where they start going a bit pop.
5. MES alcoholism - still radio-friendly but the most notable thing about it were the on-stage fights and their first attempts at electronic music (Hit The North, it even got a video). This era ends with MES left alone yet again and recording the great (although really difficult) Levitate album almost by himself.
6. modern times - still have flashes of brilliance (The Real New Fall LP is awesome) but MES is pretty much a bumbling heap nowadays. His most recent wife (third if I'm not mistaken) divorced him and left the band half a year ago.

tl;dr
Check out Grotesque for great early Fall. This Nation's Saving Grace for mid-Fall and The Real New Fall LP for more modern Fall sound.
Alternatively, find the Palace of the Swords Reversed compilation, it has all the best early singles and the best track they ever made (Wings).

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

"went a bit more radio-friendly, even played to a ballet" is an absurd take considering what a great and weird album Kurious Oranj is, and I can't say I'd second some of your other observations either

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Hanley noted that Oranj was the point when he thought the band got big so idk. It was also around that time when they actually started seeing actual money and Brix turned MES on to some melodic stuff. They even covered Victoria.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Sigur Ros? As autumn approaches I want to be ready

edit - let's just change that to post-rock in general. A local band (lastdayshining) got my feet wet. Listened to The World is Not a Cold Dead Place and Lift Your Skinny Fists recently and want to keep rolling down that hill.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'd start with ( ) or Agaetis Byrjun if you want to hear the stuff that garnered them the critical acclaim of outlets like pitchfork. Those are pretty great and they were touring as Radiohead's opener at the time if I remember correctly. Check out Takk ... if you want a slightly more rock oriented approach to the song structure.

Keep going after that if you like, and check out the tour documentary Heima if only for some pretty gorgeous locations in Iceland where they play.

edit: MOAR post-rock: That genre got so nuanced and varied that you can fall down a rabbit hole of bands with obnoxious names and long song titles pretty quickly. I'd probably stick to the big names. You've already mentioned GY!BE, so maybe check out:

Mogwai - Young Team and Come On Die Young are staples. These guys love the "soft-loud-soft-loving LOUD" build up (see "Mogwai Fear Satan", and "Like Herod") but are capable of quiet ballads as well ("Cody" is a track that never gets old for me).

Explosions in the Sky - Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever and The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place are worth hearing. They wear their influences on their sleeves and ape Mogwai's soft-loud-soft-LOUD approach but take a more emotional bent I guess? You've probably heard them since their Friday Night Lights soundtrack work had a lot of legs but since they started just up the road I feel obligated to include them.

Slint - Spiderland because both of the two bands above possibly owe a great deal to the sound on this record.

Stars of the Lid - The tired sounds of Stars of the Lid ... far more ambient drone than anything else they create some great trance inducing moments on record and also more Austin so it's a secret jab at my HTX.

If you like the sound of the first two and want more of that ... This Will Destroy You has some solid LPs as well.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 4, 2017

silencekit
May 1, 2014

Thank you to the thoughtful suggestions from The Fall historians. I'm gonna throw on The Infotainment Scan.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
You can also throw 50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong on shuffle.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
Where do I start with Jean-Luc Ponty and jazz violin in general? I've listened to and enjoyed Stéphane Grappelli (including his work with Django Reinhardt) but I'd like to get into some of the 70s/80s electric stuff.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I had a properly musical one I wanted to throw out here, but I forget what it was, but while I was at the record store yesterday, I thought of a non-musical act that I've never been able to properly get a grip on, even though you see their records in every thrift shop in the nation: Firesign Theater. Is there a record to start with with them, or is it all just hallucinogenic, punchlineless surrealism?

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
THE FALL?! man, listen to the Peel sessions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUIMbTjvhzU

but if you like Von Sudenfed you'll probably like The Unutterable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRZE8Et6x8A

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Terminally Bored posted:

3. avantgarde - Hex, Perverted By Language, Room To Live, keep away from these if you're starting, but these are some of the best stuff they ever did. Heavy, dense. The lyrics on Perverted are just otherworldy, no one came close to that level of writing in rock music (be it punk or any other genre).
The Fall aren't really that avant-garde man, anyone whose heard some Velvet Underground or Captain Beefheart and Iggy Pop can get them. but yes I agree about the lyrics. stuff like Tempo House, Smile, and Garden are some of his finest moments. Eat Y'self Fitter was the first Fall song i ever heard.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I have been researching some of my favorite producers' influences to branch out my knowledge a bit. After watching The Defiant Ones, I looked at Dr. Dre's influences and wanted some recommendations on places to start with the following people/groups.

Kraftwerk
George Clinton
Isaac Hayes
Curtis Mayfield

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MrSargent posted:

I have been researching some of my favorite producers' influences to branch out my knowledge a bit. After watching The Defiant Ones, I looked at Dr. Dre's influences and wanted some recommendations on places to start with the following people/groups.

Kraftwerk
George Clinton
Isaac Hayes
Curtis Mayfield

Curtis Mayfield - Curtis!
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
Parliament - Mothership Connection

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Curtis Mayfield: Curtis! and Curtis/Live and maybe the Superfly soundtrack. For his work with the Impressions, I'd say Keep On Pushing, People Get Ready and maybe The Young Mods' Forgotten Story (though I haven't listened to that last one for some time).

Isaac Hayes: Hot Buttered Soul, Black Moses, maybe the Shaft soundtrack (though it's a proper score rather than a collection of songs that are in the movie - there's only really "Theme From Shaft" and a couple of others that even have vocals).

(If you want to go further with Isaac Hayes, I'd also recommend the first four Sam & Dave albums because he co-wrote most of the songs on them.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Thanks a lot for the recommendations folks!