Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Lots of new posts... figured at least one would be about a plane crash, but nope!

Guess I will have to fix that.

http://www.12news.com/news/local/valley/2-in-critical-condition-after-plane-crash-south-of-deer-valley-airport/461070033

Both occupants last reported in critical condition, somewhat surprised they survived given the condition of the aircraft in the photo's. Radio reported it was a Grumman AA1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vessbot posted:

Air Force One is the callsign of any Air Force aircraft the President is on. Navy One and Marine One, respectively. Executive One if it's a civilian aircraft.

Is there an Army One?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Man "Army One" sounds dumb as hell and I'm glad they got rid of it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Plinkey posted:

Is there an Army One?

I don't believe a sitting US president has ever flown in an Army aircraft, but technically there could be I guess?

Maybe if all the Marine helicopters broke down they'd stick him in a Chinook or Blackhawk or something.

Why do the marines get to fly the President's helicopters, anyway?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Plinkey posted:

Is there an Army One?

Sagebrush posted:

I don't believe a sitting US president has ever flown in an Army aircraft, but technically there could be I guess?

Maybe if all the Marine helicopters broke down they'd stick him in a Chinook or Blackhawk or something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_One

Army One is the callsign of any United States Army aircraft carrying the President of the United States. From 1957 until 1976, this was usually an Army helicopter transporting the President. Prior to 1976, responsibility for helicopter transportation of the President was divided between the Army and the U.S. Marine Corps until the Marine Corps was given the sole responsibility of transporting the President by helicopter.

During its presidential service, the helicopter was known either as Marine One or Army One, depending on whether Marine or Army pilots were operating the craft.[3]

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
The president switched to Sea King helicopters in 1961, and from the VH-3A to the VH-3D in 1976. The Army didn't fly Sea Kings, but apparently trained pilots solely for Army One until 1976, when they decided (possibly because of the post Vietnam drawdown) that it wasn't a very efficient use of pilots or pilot training.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Sagebrush posted:

Snazzier dress uniforms, and it's traditional for the president to knock their hats off for good luck.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I was waiting for a flight out of Siem Reap, Cambodia like 17 years ago and a 757 landed with the Air Force One paint job and pulled up outside the terminal

I think it was Dick Gephardt flying in for who knows what. Certainly got everyone's attention

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cat Mattress posted:

As for other heads of states and heads of governments, it depends from country to country, depending on the leader's vanity and the country's resources.

This is :3:

quote:

For long haul trips, aircraft belonging to the commercial airline Royal Dutch Airlines (KLM) are used. Often the upper deck of a Boeing 747 is used. Sometimes the Fokker 70 is sent ahead; for the long stretch a KLM flight is used and for the final trip the Fokker. King Willem-Alexander has a Fokker 70/100 type rating and is often seen as pilot on these trips. To keep his licence current he sometimes flew with KLM Cityhopper on scheduled flights. As part of the KLM Fokker drawdown, King Willem-Alexander is training on mainline KLM Boeing 737 aircraft to qualify to fly the new VIP plane.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
"Ahhhhhhhhhh-this your captain speaking... If you'll Ahhhhhhhhhh-look up into the cockpit you'll see that your Ahhhhhhhhhh-captain is also your King so Ahhhhhhhhhh-sit back, buckle up, and remember your sworn oath to your ruler and liege or so help me I will royaly lawn dart this mother."

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Prince Harry can drive a tank and Prince William can fly a helicopter

We're a few royals short of an Area 88 style PMC here

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

um excuse me posted:

*Bursts into room gasping*

Air Force One...any plane...president in

*Collapses*

"We know. Sit down."

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

MikeCrotch posted:

Harry can also fly a helicopter

King of Jordan also flies military hardware iirc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
King of Jordan is an ex-Armor officer and Cobra pilot.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

simplefish posted:

King of Jordan also flies military hardware iirc

I hung around the royal squadron in Amman for a few weeks. They love the dude. One day he flies F-16s over Syria, the next day he'll show up and fly himself around in one of their S-70s.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
If I were president, I'd demand to get qualed on the F-22 or A-10. Cost be damned.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

cowboy elvis posted:

If I were president, I'd demand to get qualed on the F-22 or A-10. Cost be damned.

:same: even if I don't fit in the cockpit (I am p tall)

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

cowboy elvis posted:

Useful in case of alien invasion. You know, to rally the cause:

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

cowboy elvis posted:

The President isn't even allowed to drive a car.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

simplefish posted:

Met the guy at Camp Bastion back in 2012 when he was flying Apaches, I gave what I thought was just another Brit helo officer a tour of our HH-60 that I happened to be working on at the time. Only learned afterwards that it was him when someone else came and notified me of who he was.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Harry is the best royal. :britain:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

King of Jordan is an ex-Armor officer and Cobra pilot.

And a science officer in Starfleet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

And a science officer in Starfleet.

But he's stuck on voyager.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

joat mon posted:

For example, the CH-53K is running a combined 22,500 hp from three engines through one gearbox (that makes up almost 40% of the helicopter's weight)

I never really thought about this but between the engines and gearbox a bunch of the weight of a helicopter is basically in its roof, right? What's in the bottom to counterbalance? Or do they just make sure that the fuselage is wide enough so it doesn't tip over?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

When airborne it's being supported from above by the rotor(s). On the ground, it's not really moving, and certainly not going around corners at high speed, so being top-heavy isn't much of a liability like it is in an SUV or whatever.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Enourmo posted:

When airborne it's being supported from above by the rotor(s). On the ground, it's not really moving, and certainly not going around corners at high speed, so being top-heavy isn't much of a liability like it is in an SUV or whatever.
They do have a tendency to tip over if the pilot puts them down on uneven ground, though, which is one reason why utility and military transport choppers do tend to be pretty wide.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Comrade Gorbash posted:

They do have a tendency to tip over if the pilot puts them down on uneven ground, though, which is one reason why utility and military transport choppers do tend to be pretty wide.

They also flip in the water. If you have to ride in one on a regular basis (at least in the USN and USMC), you have to go through a water egress course for helicopters. Its a hoot. Strap into a dummy helicopter fuselage, get dropped into the water, it flips, egress.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Charles flew Harriers and Phillip actually had a quite accomplished WWII Naval record. If you are extend out even a little bit you get all kinds of other stuff as well.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Bob A Feet posted:

They also flip in the water. If you have to ride in one on a regular basis (at least in the USN and USMC), you have to go through a water egress course for helicopters. Its a hoot. Strap into a dummy helicopter fuselage, get dropped into the water, it flips, egress.

I actually got to do this at a summer camp once, about 12 years ago now. Can confirm it is fun (most fun part was the kids who panicked)

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

MikeCrotch posted:

Their father on the other hand isn't allowed near RAF aircraft after this little prang back in '94 whilst he was at the controls:

He was using the 146 for the HRH equivalent of a beer run at the time too,

quote:

On his visit to the distillery, the Prince was invited to bung two casks of Laphroaig. The two casks were given to him, which he kindly donated to two charity funds of his choice.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Shamelessly stolen from PPRuNe:

https://www.ntsb.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/pr20170802.aspx

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mortabis posted:

I actually got to do this at a summer camp once, about 12 years ago now. Can confirm it is fun (most fun part was the kids who panicked)

I was going to do it because we were going to be testing from an RN carrier but that took a whole big poo poo for a variety of reasons and I didn't have to do it. But on the plus side, I didn't have to go to England again.

Now I just get to take water survivability training for some reason. Jump in with all my flight gear on, tread water for x seconds, climb in the raft. Wheee.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

hoooooly smokes that's close, and that's probably not even the nadir

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ManifunkDestiny posted:

hoooooly smokes that's close, and that's probably not even the nadir

quote:

The incident pilots advanced the thrust levers when the airplane was about 85 feet above ground level. Flight data recorder data indicate the airplane was over the taxiway at this time. About 2.5 seconds after advancing the thrust levers, the minimum altitude recorded on the FDR was 59 feet above ground level.

:stonklol:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
The more we learn about this the more astonished I am that this didn't end with them getting everyone killed, holy poo poo.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Wikipedia has the 787 tail height at 55 feet and 10 inches.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Murgos posted:

Charles flew Harriers and Phillip actually had a quite accomplished WWII Naval record. If you are extend out even a little bit you get all kinds of other stuff as well.

King George VI was in charge of a battleship turret at Jutland.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MikeCrotch posted:

Elizabeth can drive an ambulance.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Elizabeth can drive an ambulance.

And prince Philip knows how to drive one of these:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

When Jordan retaliated for that pilot being burned alive a couple years ago, allegedly the king flew a couple combat sorties.