Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

IronicDongz posted:

wait what the gently caress

S/M doesn't have a national pokedex????

Unless you count Pokémon Bank, no it doesn't.

I guess it prevents people from migrating everything to Sun and Moon and back to Box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
:psyduck:

between this and no battle frontier I'm starting to think I shouldn't have bought back into pokemon. at least I'll be able to play new Metroid on this thing

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

You can still use the pokemon, you just don't have pokedex entries for them. It's kind of a bummer, but I don't find myself missing it too much.

I never played a game with a battle frontier. What does it offer that the Battle Tree doesn't?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Bad gimmicks. Especially in Gen 3.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
battle factory is actually really really loving good. maybe my favorite thing to play around in in any pokemon game(whether it be gen 3 or 4)

pyramid, dome and pike were also all good. the only one that wasn't good was the palace, everything else was fun to play for at least as long as it took to get the symbols.

e:maybe I have a skewed perspective because I started with emerald, and then played soulsilver later, both of which have battle frontiers... but my feelings about pokemon games is that the main story is really really easy, basically just a long tutorial, and then the actual "game" is the postgame content and multiplayer. having a postgame which is just some legendaries to catch and 1/7th of the battle frontier kinda bums me out real hard, I bought omega ruby under the assumption that it would have one of the biggest features of gen 3 because it is a gen 3 remake. and it's just not there.
makes me feel like I just went and trained all these pokemon only to have nothing to do with them after, you know? what's the point of getting them all if there's only one place to use them in?

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 1, 2017

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Zuzie posted:

Unless you count Pokémon Bank, no it doesn't.

I guess it prevents people from migrating everything to Sun and Moon and back to Box.

I'm definitely using Pokemon from earlier generations and plan on moving my Y playthrough buddies back to sun after I'm done. All my omega ruby buddies are already there.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

gotta have a valhalla box where your champion teams from previous games go

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Play showdown on randoms, which is coincidentally the best way to play Pokémon showdown

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I have the sneaking suspicion that the Emerald style Battle Frontier will finally make a return in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon since there are a bunch of suspiciously empty lots all over Alola (which reminds me of the battle tents that replaced the contest halls in Emerald) and that Anabel is a random character to bring back.

I'm also getting pretty antsy as its been almost 2 months with no news.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Raserys posted:

Play showdown on randoms, which is coincidentally the best way to play Pokémon showdown

Every time The Immortal omits an important move from a set I curse his name.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

that ivy guy posted:

Every time The Immortal omits an important move from a set I curse his name.

I love mons with no STAB, or Baton Pass w/o sub or a boost move, or a toxic staller without toxic

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Alxprit posted:

False, progress only counts if you get the grand prize. Which is why the target is so so low.

What the gently caress? I was going off of what the PGL website says, which is:

PGL posted:

In the Try Your Luck! global mission, participants are tasked with collectively playing the lottery 1,000 times between July 25 at 00:00 UTC and August 8 at 23:59 UTC. Everyone who takes the lottery for a spin will earn Festival Coins, and PGL members can earn a sweet bonus, too!

It just says you have to play the lottery and anyone who draws it at least once qualifies for the prizes when the goal is met (which it has 16 times over last time I checked). If it requires a jackpot, that is really lovely wording.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Silver Falcon posted:

It just says you have to play the lottery and anyone who draws it at least once qualifies for the prizes when the goal is met (which it has 16 times over last time I checked). If it requires a jackpot, that is really lovely wording.

It's definitely only counting jackpots if you check your progress with the counter woman. No word as to whether finishing with a score of 0 means you don't get a share of the prize, though I assume you do.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

oddium posted:

gotta have a valhalla box where your champion teams from previous games go

See, oddium gets it! Team Valhalla 4 (After)Lyfe

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zuzie posted:

I have the sneaking suspicion that the Emerald style Battle Frontier will finally make a return in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon since there are a bunch of suspiciously empty lots all over Alola (which reminds me of the battle tents that replaced the contest halls in Emerald) and that Anabel is a random character to bring back.

I'm also getting pretty antsy as its been almost 2 months with no news.
if they do I will retract all my complaints

except for one incredibly specific thing which is that metagross's old cry was much cooler

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

less laughter posted:

Another amazing event mon is coming, we are so blessed

https://twitter.com/Nnoitrum/status/892053622183342080

They could have at least made her shiny :/

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
My long Heart Gold/Soul Silver journey is finally over. I've caught everything that I can in apricorn balls. (With the except of Snorlax, Sudowoodo, and 4 stubborn Pokémon that haven't swarmed for me.) Not like anyone will actually want a Kricketot in a Lure Ball, but I've got them covered. This accounts for a ton of species, but collecting the remainder of Pokémon that can be caught in apricorn balls is much trickier. I've been having to hunt the GTS for them and all the listings want things like Landorus. :rolleyes:

I'll never finish my collection of ones that can't be caught in HGSS, but it's fun to grab what I can. Since you can't really customize your Pokémon's aesthetics, I set them up in rare Poké Balls instead. And with the way this series works, the stuff I caught this year will be usable 10 years down the road.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

:psyduck:

between this and no battle frontier I'm starting to think I shouldn't have bought back into pokemon. at least I'll be able to play new Metroid on this thing

or you can play the like 100 great games already released on the 3ds

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Mizuti posted:

My long Heart Gold/Soul Silver journey is finally over. I've caught everything that I can in apricorn balls. (With the except of Snorlax, Sudowoodo, and 4 stubborn Pokémon that haven't swarmed for me.) Not like anyone will actually want a Kricketot in a Lure Ball, but I've got them covered. This accounts for a ton of species, but collecting the remainder of Pokémon that can be caught in apricorn balls is much trickier. I've been having to hunt the GTS for them and all the listings want things like Landorus. :rolleyes:

I'll never finish my collection of ones that can't be caught in HGSS, but it's fun to grab what I can. Since you can't really customize your Pokémon's aesthetics, I set them up in rare Poké Balls instead. And with the way this series works, the stuff I caught this year will be usable 10 years down the road.

I might be able to plug some holes in your collection! As I mentioned, I did the same thing you did awhile ago. I got all the swarm Pokemon in all Apricorn Balls and a Sudowoodo in at least a couple.

Snorlax at least you can get in Apricorn Balls in SuMo, so I wasn't too concerned with them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I totally forgot apricorn balls existed. and also ball seals... customizable pokeball effects could probably be done better than those were though. maybe in a remake down the line

Ruggington posted:

the only two games I might be interested in getting on 3ds besides new metroid when it comes out are mystery dungeon and animal crossing tbh

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Finished the ultra space stuff in sun, thought it was pretty funny that all of lusamines mons had little angry eyebrows added on. Because they're EVIL get it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
actually it would be rad if you could put pokemon from pokemon bank into mystery dungeon

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
What is a good moveset for tangrowth? I brought a tangela over from Red and i love him

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Substitute, Toxic, and then whatever. Use those two moves, swap out, get that health and change back with Regenerator.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Or just give him attack moves that cover your team's weaknesses and an Assault Vest

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

It takes two to Tangrowth

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
Tangrowth is the best pokemon in the game on the turn you switch it in, and the worst on the turn immediately after that.

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 2, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
compared to Shedinja, who is the worst pokemon the turn you switch him in, as he died to the entry hazards and/or weather

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

anything that helps it clean up the dust in the pc box it's in would be nice

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ruggington posted:

Like what

I picked up two Kirbys, the DQ8 re-release, Xenoblade and all the Fire Emblem games and I've got nothing I think I should be looking for besides the Superstar Saga remake and maybe Smash 4.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

phoenix wright, uh. pokemon shuffle. pokemon picross

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

SMTIV and Apocalypse, Link Between Worlds, Picross e - e7, all the Sega 3D Classics by M2, Mario and Luigi Paper Jam, the upcoming Strange Journey remake and so much more

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh yeah link between worlds

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Evil Eagle posted:

SMTIV and Apocalypse, Link Between Worlds, Picross e - e7, all the Sega 3D Classics by M2, Mario and Luigi Paper Jam, the upcoming Strange Journey remake and so much more

Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns, Rune Factory 4, Monster Hunter 4U/Generations, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Etrian Odyssey, the upcoming Metroid 2 remake, Tales of the Abyss, Bravely Default/Second etc.

Not to mention the entire DS library if you haven't exhausted that.

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 2, 2017

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

You should buy Ghost Trick

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball and Pocket Card Jockey are both real good downloadable games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Keep naming games because I missed out on all this stuff and only just recently got my New 3DS XL.

I dropped off on Mario & Luigi after Bowser's Inside Story because Dream Team still had them doing slow as hell giant battles and painfully slow tutorials.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
how grindy is stuff like Etrian Odyssey/Tales of the Abyss/Bravely Default etc?

Zore posted:

Not to mention the entire DS library if you haven't exhausted that.
who needs anything besides MMZXA and Metal Slug 7 tbh

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Bravely Default 1 has loads of quality of life things that make grinding super easy and once you get to the Really Good Grinding Area you can hit max level, job points and money super fast. It has adjustable encounter rate (from 0 to 200% I think?) and battle speed, you can set up your crew to do move macros to blow up the enemies as soon as the fight starts so all you have to do is hold the stick like hatching a dang pokemon egg. It's pretty much the most painless JRPG to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

how grindy is stuff like Etrian Odyssey/Tales of the Abyss/Bravely Default etc?
who needs anything besides MMZXA and Metal Slug 7 tbh

Start with Etrian Odyssey 4 if you want to try out that series. It has a free demo, unless that's not available anymore. It's the least grindy EO, and has convenient ways to grind if you do need to. It's also just the best introduction to the series in general. Not too hard (and even has an easy difficulty if that's more your style), but you still have to pay attention not to wipe occasionally.