Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I'm willing to go early on xC6 here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Covski posted:

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Quoting for new page.

We can also just ignore the Bishop. Sure, it'll kill a pawn and put us in check, but then we just move to the right and then the Bishop can't really do anything.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Trading a knight and a pawn for... what, exactly?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

QxC6. I propose we trade queens. Their queen is more important for offence than ours is, given their king is so much better defended. We take it out, we protect ourselves from losing. Of course, it also decreases our chances at winning. This is the point we decide whether we're aiming for a draw or a win, and I think right now it's more feasible that we draw.

Alternatively, I suggest Bishop to F6. This gets our bishop in position to take that pawn and actually develop once the enemy move in on it along with defending the right hand side of the board.

AJ_Impy posted:

Trading a knight and a pawn for... what, exactly?

To get pieces in position while they take inconsequential pieces. Bishops are worth much more than a knight IMHO, and they've sacrificed that bishop for a knight and if they go for the pawn or back off, they'll have sacrificed important developmental moves, hence my suggestion of Bishop F6.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 31, 2017

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Pxc6. Let's not overcomplicate things; this is a straight-up trade, nothing more and nothing less.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dr. Snark posted:

Pxc6. Let's not overcomplicate things; this is a straight-up trade, nothing more and nothing less.

Yup, you got it. It bones us a little for the center, but helps us in a different way too since we get a good pawn placement. Can't let that bishop live now that it's getting uppity.

bxc6

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Yeah, I have been staring at the board for a bit, I can't see any better moves right now. bxC6 it is, then.

Glaive17 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 31, 2017

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

A farewell to light-square bishops. bxc6

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah Pawn blows up the C6 Bishop.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

xc6

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Crosspeice posted:

...xc6?

I mean, are they sacrificing a bishop to tempt us into going for that move, meaning they open up D corridor with xe5, tempting us to go for Rxd1, meaning they'll go Qxd1?

After they go xe5, we can go Qxe5. Sure they'll go Rxd8, but we can then kill it with the King. It could be a fine trade, I guess?

And unless I'm seeing things wrong (a strong possibility), that would place our queen in a good position to fork their knight and remaining rook. At which point we own the back row, place them in check, and anything they do to stop us just hands us another piece and puts them back in check. Presumably that means they'd be smart enough to not do that in the first place, but you never know.

Also xc6.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
bxc6 has my vote.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bit upset nobody even considered moves other than Pawn takes C6, it's very clear that's what the opposition will have planned for. It's not a strong move, but it's not a wholly awful one either. I was really hoping somebody would have thought of something better than it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Bit upset nobody even considered moves other than Pawn takes C6, it's very clear that's what the opposition will have planned for. It's not a strong move, but it's not a wholly awful one either. I was really hoping somebody would have thought of something better than it.

Sometimes you get in an uppercut, sometimes you just trade blows. If you're always just looking for a haymaker and not working on your bread and butter punches, you'll lose every time.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Snorb posted:

bxc6 has my vote.

This. because otherwise they effectively force a queen trade and force the king to move anyway via Bxb7, Qxb7, Qxb7, and Kxb7

If I'm understanding the board right anyway.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What chess notation uses "b" for pawns?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
bxc6 wins the vote!

chitoryu12 posted:

Since pawns don't have a letter, the b indicates the square the capturing pawn takes from :)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Algebraic notation, of course! =p

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6

White has 24 hours to decide on a move.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

If I were them, I'd go D5. This would invite a whole number of bad situations for us. Whatever we do, we must not move that knight from its position. If not, the enemy bishop can get into a position where it can take our rook and we'll be forced to move it somewhere which is a waste of a move.

E: Disregard, just noticed we can literally just move a pawn up to block the gap.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
If I were White, I'd go Qf5+. That'd gently caress our day up real quick-- either we move that rook and put it in immediate danger, or we move our king out of harm's way. Either way, that jacks up our future planning.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Snorb posted:

If I were White, I'd go Qf5+. That'd gently caress our day up real quick-- either we move that rook and put it in immediate danger, or we move our king out of harm's way. Either way, that jacks up our future planning.

Not really? The b file looks open, but absolutely nothing on White's side is in position to exploit it.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Pawn to C5 sounds good to me.

Allow me to clarify. They cant take with D4, else it'll lead to checkmate. Therefore, added pressure there will weaken them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

How about H6? Start opening an avenue for our rook if necessary.

Also, could we move Queen to E7 and then Pawn to E4? They would be forced to move their queen back or risk losing it.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Covski posted:

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3

Welp. Predictable.

Let's try left field? Go for h5, Ng4, check the king with the queen, make them move king to f1, fork with Nh2, take the queen? D corridor is now so well defended, we're not breaking that regardless. Gives us somewhere useful to put f knight as a bonus.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

chitoryu12 posted:

How about H6? Start opening an avenue for our rook if necessary.

Also, could we move Queen to E7 and then Pawn to E4? They would be forced to move their queen back or risk losing it.

The f6 knight would guard a pawn on e4, so that's not really necessary. I'd say either e4, h5, or moving the bishop somewhere so we can bring our other rook into the dance.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Yeah, might as well go with h5. We've pretty much effectively been playing against a chess computer so far, as I can't recall having seen white make a single mistake so far in this game. And as black, you really do have to have white make a mistake if you want more than remis.
Let's at least keep it interesting for the home stretch.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Changing my vote to H5.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 2, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like h5, we need to make use of the left side of the board.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm going to vote Pawn to E4. I think some aggression could open up our F6 knight to move forward and endanger their queen.

Ne4. Gets us nothing but minus a pawn.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pawn to h5 is fine, we can also be way more aggressive and go Bb4, or even Qa5, though it is dissuading more aggressive plays.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nice piece of fish posted:

Ne4. Gets us nothing but minus a pawn.

If we move our pawn to E4 and the queen takes it, our knight can take the queen from that position. The worst they can do is move her one square over to put us in check, which takes one move of the king to take us out of. Any other moves would put their queen in danger or let us start developing that side of the board.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

If we move our pawn to E4 and the queen takes it, our knight can take the queen from that position. The worst they can do is move her one square over to put us in check, which takes one move of the king to take us out of. Any other moves would put their queen in danger or let us start developing that side of the board.

Fish is calling out the knight on c4 as taking that pawn.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Davin Valkri posted:

Fish is calling out the knight on c4 as taking that pawn.

Ah, good point. I'll change my vote.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'll agree with h5.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Wait, why don't we do Bishop to B4? Doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with that move. We could do another knight/bishop trade that we're oh so keen on doing.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
h5

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

I'm honestly torn between h5 and Bb4 at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Bb4 is more immediate pressure but h5 is more unexpected I think, with the line of play fish laid out.

• Locked thread