Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

No I wouldn't. Hell, there's even another nice big DC example right there: Who is the Iconic Robin?

Is it Dick Grayson, the first Robin? He's the only one to appear in a film (aside from the joke at the end of Rises and the unnamed-but-Jason-Toddlike Robin suit in bvS) and was of course the first. However he hasn't been Robin in the comics in over 30 years and is best known as Nightwing to the point it is pretty much the only way the character appears. He was Robin in the Lego Movie but also pretty much In Name Only.
Is it Jason Todd? He's probably the least known Robin-as-Robin but he's really well known for one thing and so far the only Robin referenced in the Snyderverse most closely resembles him for that one thing
Is it Tim Drake? He was the first Robin to get his own book and was Robin for well over a decade and a lot of versions of Robin borrow a lot of the Drake elements even when they don't use Drake himself. He's also the Robin who appeared in the Arkham video games which are some of the best-selling Batman media in years.
Is it Damian Wayne? He's the current Robin and appears regularly as Robin in a fair bit of media tying in to the comics but it's also fairly inconsistent.

The iconic Robin isn't necessarily a specific identity but a series of traits which mix various characters together. There are very real arguments to be made for each Robin but it's more reasonable to say that the character Robin is iconic and you can have Tim Drake who acts like Dick Grayson or Dick Grayson who uses Tim Drake's bo staff. (Both things that have actually happened.) The character is iconic but the identity of the character is far less so and most people who do things with the character will mix and match parts.

Hal is Green Lantern because Geoff Johns was a big Hal Jordan fan and gave him a push. Prior to that Hal Jordan was not Green Lantern in any way, shape or form for over a decade and prior to that Hal Jordan's GL status was on-and-off and he often was a guest star in or side character to the other Green Lanterns. That isn't to say Hal Jordan was an unimportant or meaningless character but he wasn't the One Singular Lantern Without Argument. In fact one of the strengths of GL is that you can have multiple GLs. The character concept is more important than the singular character.

Also lol at the idea that Green Lantern is the third part of a theoretical all-dude JL trinity. Honestly if you were going to fill that role these days it'd probably be The Flash/Barry Allen just due to the television series and the near-constant push he gets. (Plus, you know, actually being in the Justice League movie whereas GL isn't.)

:golfclap:

Also as I mentioned earlier, Barry Allen is getting the push he did because Johns loves him like he loves Hal Jordan and he wants to make sure everyone loves them as much as he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I prefer Wally, but Barry is much better than Hal.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
http://www.monkeysfightingrobots.com/green-lantern-greatest-lantern-fan-poll/

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I prefer Wally, but Barry is much better than Hal.

Well yeah because Barry saved the loving multiverse.

Or died trying. It's been a really really long time since I read Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Also I think that story was wiped out of continuity after Zero Hour or Infinite Crisis or The New 52 or whatever new reboot they've moved on to.

Why do you make it so hard to love you DC?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

Or died trying. It's been a really really long time since I read Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Also I think that story was wiped out of continuity after Zero Hour or Infinite Crisis or The New 52 or whatever new reboot they've moved on to.

I haven't read rebirth, but i believe they've made Wally the more central speedster in it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Honestly all the main flashes rule. Barry used to be boring but he's improved. Wally rules, Old man Jay super rules. Black Wally is cool. I didn't really read any of Bart but he was great in Teen Titans.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Honestly all the main flashes rule. Barry used to be boring but he's improved. Wally rules, Old man Jay super rules. Black Wally is cool. I didn't really read any of Bart but he was great in Teen Titans.

:agreed:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Kid Flash ruled and I miss the pre-New 52 Titans book.

The dynamic between Damien and Deadshot's daughter was cute and Tim being the "Old Man" of the group was fun.

I got about an issue into the 52 reboot and hated it.

Did they unfuck the Teen Titans with the new reboot?

Also it's still super weird to see Cyborg as part of the League but it makes sense.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I don't get the Cyborg hate.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

MacheteZombie posted:

Not sure if it's hate so much as from what I've seen he's incredibly bland. If he was the cartoon Teen Titans and Go version it'd be hella better.

Also it goes Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman for the JLA but you can cycle Green Arrow or Black Canary or Zatana or Plastic Man for Aquaman instead. Agreed that the GL is more a concept and both Barry and Wally are more prominent than Hal. Most comments I read from casuals asked why isn't GL black thanks to the cartoon.

Guy can be the best anyway along with some of the funkier ones

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should cast Chris Pratt as Kyle, set it on Oa, and call it "Guardians of the Universe"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They should cast Chris Pratt as Guy Gardner, set it on Oa, and call it "Guardians of the Universe"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They should cast Chris Pratt as HAL THE CLEARLY ICONIC GL, set it on Oa, and call it "Guardians of the Universe" and Hal's the bad guy

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

there's even another nice big DC example right there: Who is the Iconic Robin?

Robin has a discussion, because there Robin has no iconic character. This is unlike the characters we're discussing, like Superman (Clark Kent), Batman (Bruce Wayne), Green Lantern (Hal Jordan).

You might as well be arguing that Spiderman is someone other than Peter Parker. Sure, others might've been Spiderman, but Peter Parker is Spiderman.

Hear the sound of hooves going clippity clop, think Horse (Hal), not Zebra (whatever Lanterns that rose to prominence during a comic era everyone would rather regret). Ain't rocket science.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 2, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Robin has a discussion, because there Robin has no iconic character. This is unlike the characters we're discussing, like Superman (Clark Kent), Batman (Bruce Wayne), Green Lantern (Hal Jordan).

You might as well be arguing that Spiderman is someone other than Peter Parker. Sure, others might've been Spiderman, but Peter Parker is Spiderman.

Hear the sound of hooves going clippity clop, think Horse (Hal), not Zebra (whatever Lanterns that rose to prominence during a comic era everyone would rather regret). Ain't rocket science.

You're not actually making an argument here and you're actually disproving your own point. If someone mentions Green Lantern, Hal Jordan is not necessarily the first person that is going to come to mind. The kerfluffle when the GL move came out and people wondered why he wasn't black proves that point. Also you don't actually seem to have a very good knowledge of the character considering you have a remarkably poor grasp over when Guy and John were characters.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

When someone mentions Green Lantern to me I think of..... neither. Just some dude wearing green with a magic ring. I don't think the characters is well known enough for anyone to be super-invested in who he is.

No offense to Green Lantern fans of course.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

Oh I'm not hating on him, I like the character, it's just that I grew up with him as a Titan and so while having him "Graduate" to the League makes total sense from a storytelling standpoint, it's still kinda odd at times when I see images of the new JL and go "Oh right, Cyborg is on the team"

Also pretty sure Mr. Bibbs is actually Geoff Johns with the way he's desperate to convince everyone about HAL JORDAN THE ONE TRUE LANTERN.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

joylessdivision posted:

Oh I'm not hating on him, I like the character, it's just that I grew up with him as a Titan and so while having him "Graduate" to the League makes total sense from a storytelling standpoint, it's still kinda odd at times when I see images of the new JL and go "Oh right, Cyborg is on the team"

I'm still pretty sure this is DC going "oh poo poo we need a black guy" and picking Cyborg.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

Also pretty sure Mr. Bibbs is actually Geoff Johns with the way he's desperate to convince everyone about HAL JORDAN THE ONE TRUE LANTERN.

Sorry didn't mean to imply you were. Your post just made me think of other posts questioning why he'd be included. "He's not JL character" "No one cares about Cyborg, why bother?" that kind of stuff I've seen. Gatts called him bland, and I'm not even sure there's enough marketing material out about him to make that call.

Karloff posted:

When someone mentions Green Lantern to me I think of..... neither. Just some dude wearing green with a magic ring. I don't think the characters is well known enough for anyone to be super-invested in who he is.

No offense to Green Lantern fans of course.

I'm not hugely invested in any specific one as well. I like Kyle, and he seems like the guy few people ever mention in the Hal v John wars. I think it was smart on DC's part to go with GL Corps so they can have any/all of them if they want.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I'm still pretty sure this is DC going "oh poo poo we need a black guy" and picking Cyborg.

Cyborg ties into their mother box story arc quite well.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

If someone mentions Green Lantern, Hal Jordan is not necessarily the first person that is going to come to mind.

I'm not denying that there's some people who erroneously associate a lesser character with the title of Green Lantern. I'm sure there's people who associate Hugo Strange as Batman, or Miguel O'Hara as Spider-Man. There are people who think John Stewart is Green Lantern. No difference between them and the others.

I get liking whatever dude you grew up with, but there's no argument against what I'm saying. Greater society has spoken that Bruce Wayne is Batman, Peter Parker is Spider-Man, and Hal Jordan is Green Lantern. Like I said, no conspiracy at DC.

I mean, it could've been anyone that John Stewart changed into during that episode where time was shifting around. There are a lot of Green Lanterns. I'm sure you know who they brought in: the iconic character.q

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not denying that there's some people who erroneously associate a lesser character with the title of Green Lantern.

lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Regarding Green Lantern, I read a very extensive article about the design of Hal Jordan's costume about ten years ago and how little it had changed over time, and how the costume was so forward thinking and groundbreaking compared to other superhero outfits of the time and is a major reason anyone knows who Hal Jordan is at all, I found that interesting.

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not denying that there's some people who erroneously associate a lesser character with the title of Green Lantern.

Agreed I wish DC would stop erroneously associating Green Lantern with Hal Jordan instead of Jon Stewart.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I think the only people who instantly associate Green Lantern with Hal Jordan are old out of touch people.

The guy is a loving dork.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Yaws posted:

I think the only people who instantly associate Green Lantern with Hal Jordan are old out of touch people.

The guy is a loving dork.

And any kid who has grown over the past 10 years.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Yeah I'm in my 40s and the only Green Lantern I even know is from Superfriends. I'm vaguely aware that there are others but to me the only one that counts is Hal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And any kid who has grown over the past 10 years.

Not really. Aside from the Green Lantern movie anything aimed at kids that has feature Green Lanterns has feature multiple Green Lanterns or not used Hal. Brave and the Bold for example had more episodes with Guy Gardner than Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern TV show featured a number of Green Lanterns. Likewise the comics have featured all the Green Lanterns and given them starring roles.

The idea that a kid who was super into Green Lantern would go "aw man Hal is the REAL lantern" and not treat it like Power Rangers where it's a group of heroes or something is pretty silly. Because, uh, that is what Green Lantern is these days. Unlike pretty much every other superhero in the DC universe the modern Lanterns are defined as being members of a group (and likewise their enemies are largely color-coded enemy groups as well.)

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not denying that there's some people who erroneously associate a lesser character with the title of Green Lantern. I'm sure there's people who associate Hugo Strange as Batman, or Miguel O'Hara as Spider-Man. There are people who think John Stewart is Green Lantern. No difference between them and the others.

I get liking whatever dude you grew up with, but there's no argument against what I'm saying. Greater society has spoken that Bruce Wayne is Batman, Peter Parker is Spider-Man, and Hal Jordan is Green Lantern. Like I said, no conspiracy at DC.

Except no one, outside of the deepest of the deep comic nerd would ever associate Batman with Hugo Strange.

Seriously, no one cares how much you love Hal Jordan, but please continue making really bad arguments about how we're all wrong, it's pretty entertaining.

Cythereal posted:

Bingo.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Hal Jordan has been in about 3,600 comic book issues while the other 3 have been in about 1,300 each.* I think it's fair to say he's the most famous Green Lantern and the one most people think of when they hear the name.

(*According to Comic Vine, at least, so hopefully that's accurate!)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

joylessdivision posted:

If we're giving movie roles to characters based on who saved the Multiverse best, then Booster Gold deserves one from stopping it from getting eaten by a caterpillar.

Edit: Also, DC views it as them never having officially actually rebooted the universe completely, since those stories brought them to where they are and they occasionally pull out characters from the OG universe into play. The current main Superman is from the previous pre-New 52 uuniverse. Ugh...poo poo gets confusing.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 3, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hal Jordan is an awful, "heroic cop" character.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They should use Hal Jordan but the Kevin Smith version that's a whiny chump that shits his pants all the time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hal Jordan can be great. The New Frontier is my favorite comic ever and Darwyn Cooke made Jordan into a fantastic character. He wasn't even Green Lantern for most of it. That was probably the last time anyone did anything worthwhile with Hal Jordan. It helps that Cooke was the Jesus to Jack Kirby's God.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

joylessdivision posted:

Except no one, outside of the deepest of the deep comic nerd would ever associate Batman with Hugo Strange.

Hey, we're here with folks arguing that there's Green Lanterns as or more iconic/standardly defined than Hal Jordan. You'd need to be a "deep comic book nerd" to associate any other name to the title of Green Lantern.

There's Hal Jordan, and there's listicles full of "did you know these characters are also Green Lanterns?"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Everyone knows Guy Gardner is the best Green Lantern anyway.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The only Green Lantern I'm aware of is the black guy.

Never heard of Hal Jordan. Sorry.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Hey, we're here with folks arguing that there's Green Lanterns as or more iconic/standardly defined than Hal Jordan. You'd need to be a "deep comic book nerd" to associate any other name to the title of Green Lantern.

There's Hal Jordan, and there's listicles full of "did you know these characters are also Green Lanterns?"

Except as has been pointed out numerous times, John Stewart (The Black Guy) is the Lantern that most people would associate with Green Lantern of they don't read comics.

That JL cartoon was a big deal for a long time.

Detective No. 27 posted:

If we're giving movie roles to characters based on who saved the Multiverse best, then Booster Gold deserves one from stopping it from getting eaten by a caterpillar.

Edit: Also, DC views it as them never having officially actually rebooted the universe completely, since those stories brought them to where they are and they occasionally pull out characters from the OG universe into play. The current main Superman is from the previous pre-New 52 uuniverse. Ugh...poo poo gets confusing.

Don't make me sad that we'll probably never get a Blue Beetle/Booster Gold buddy cop movie.

Honestly I haven't kept up with DC in a few years as far as their books are concerned because comics are loving expensive and I prefer collected editions over the floppies, so most of what I know about the DC universe is from the immediate start of the New 52 when the word was "Hey remember all that poo poo that happened before? Didn't happen (except this poo poo in the Bat books because Batman)"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

joylessdivision posted:

Except as has been pointed out numerous times, John Stewart (The Black Guy) is the Lantern that most people would associate with Green Lantern of they don't read comics.

A kid's show doesn't change who the primary Green Lantern is. As someone pointed out, there's a reason why Hal Jordan is a main character in both Injustice 1 and 2 as a main character (complete with jesus-christ-they-really-did-give-him-all Lantern Corps skins in the second one), while the other guy in question gets custom skin status. Or why in the next movie they are doing with GL, it's Hal and another guy.

If someone tells you John Stewart is "the" Green Lantern, you correct them.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
No, I think John Stewart is the real Green Lantern. Nobody cares about that old coot Hal Jordan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Super Fan posted:

No, I think John Stewart is the real Green Lantern. Nobody cares about that old coot Hal Jordan.

Hal Jordan is a bitch and he was only cool when he was Parallax and when Batman painted himself (and the apartment) yellow to punch the poo poo out of him.

All Star Batman and Robin is a work of art is what I'm saying.

Anyway can we stop arguing about Hal Jordan, it's boring (just like Hal)