Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

What if it continues from Case 13, and Ange + Princess use the route prepared for the guy and his sister to get past the wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The last episode in the broadcast order will be titled "Someday In The Rain."

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I, for one, look forward to the finale, where Dorothy methodically turns the other four against each other and tears them apart in the name of The Commonwealth.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

What if it continues from Case 13, and Ange + Princess use the route prepared for the guy and his sister to get past the wall?

getting past the wall is irrelevant. that's where ange came from to begin with. they need to escape both britains entirely, or else subvert one to make it gay-friendly.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

getting past the wall is irrelevant.

but the OP

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

poo poo this actually makes a lot of sense. Though Princess would presumably need to give up on murdering/spying her way to the top by then.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kinda thinking next ep is going to the case when Chise joins the squad and if that's what happens I kinda doubt cases 3-6 will actually be episodes. Since I don't think they'd want to go back to cases where the team isn't fully formed yet.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

And above all I hope this show does not end in tragedy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope the last case is Case#69

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

why would you put a propeller at the front of a boat, this show loving sucks

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Davincie posted:

same reason you'd put one in front of a plane

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Davincie posted:

Its not a propeller, its a corpse macerator so the bodies of the working poor don't clog the intakes. :capitalism:

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
When Chise introduced herself as a samurai I briefly thought this alternative timeline might have had the Shogunate winning out and later dropping isolation decades later which would have been cool. But I guess in this alt-Japan they just delayed the struggle to the 1900's or there are some hardcore Golden Kamuy style holdouts here, but hey whatever gives us a plausible reason to have a samurai on the squad works.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Case 18 next week

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh poo poo, amazon is on time this week :toot:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
pain pain fly away

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

pain pain fly away

Can somebody do that for Beato's neck please? :ohdear:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I can't even believe how awesome this show is. What the heck?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the score for this entire episode is so perfect i love you yuki kajiura. the shrill guitar early on in the train sequence as poo poo starts to go down. that moment when the light and funky jazz moment turned into serious kalafina vocals for just a few seconds to suggest the weight of the lines there

and then the full-on orchestral KAJIURA at the climactic showdown, and the vocals left hanging after everything comes to a head(pat)

luhawleuhoujhiho9i0p

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Holy poo poo Chise is really good. They're all so good!

Listening to this OST is gonna be amazing

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
theres so many good details in the choreography and chise is like samurai yoda and if you pause on sword closeups you can see their blades are chipping
also little 'easter egg' hint here, you can spot chise's underwear in this ep

Space Flower posted:

great ep but i only expect greater when they introduce chise

11/10 exceeds expectations

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://sakugabooru.com/data/37c42dbcf1b1059038d30d0699dc7ce1.mp4

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

They animated the poo poo out of this episode. gently caress, it's so good.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Now that is a proper introduction episode! It's going to be hard for them to top this episode, but at this point it won't surprise me if they do.

There's a lot to love about this show, but one of my favorite things is the unique friendship formed between these characters. They've learned how to form a bond with each other while understanding that they have to keep each other at arm's length.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
let's talk about how chise and ange are confirmed lesbians as evidenced by their use of the Sakura Trick flight techniques

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Space Flower posted:

let's talk about how chise and ange are confirmed lesbians as evidenced by their use of the Sakura Trick flight techniques

It was heartwarming to see them form a bond around their mutual love of merciless killing and screwing up card games.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Listening to this OST is gonna be amazing

Good news, you can get the same effect by listening to any other Kajiura OST.

I like her and all, and she's not as much of a one-trick-pony as ALI Project, but she has a somewhat limited bag of tricks that she leans on a bit too hard.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm just gonna re-create this dudes post, because it's a really good post.

quote:

Lots of great stuff this episode. We got Chise's introduction which is Case 7 interestingly, so we'll get around 4 more episodes without her, I'm guessing. The action was especially great this episode although I'm not sure if all the spinning around Chise did during her fight with TODO JUBEI would be considered smart but this is anime so why sweat the details.

I really like how they pretty much gave away the traitor beforehand using clever directing. First, we get the janitor placing his mop on the map as a signal to the soldier inside the train who gives a slight response. Then, we get a shot showing the map marking, presumably, the spot on the map where the soldier's supposed to blow up the linkage. Then, it immediately cuts to the Duke of Normandy so it's unambiguous that they were working for him. Dorothy caught on to the janitor and either noticed the location he marked or saw the soldier's response. The directing really shines when the show's all about deception and subterfuge. Of course, some other shots were also framed very nicely.

Lastly, I really liked the actual animation this episode. Not just the action, but all of the character's movements seemed so much more weighty and realistic than usual. The walk and run cycled especially. Just look at these. Also, here's Chise doing the ninja run with arms back.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This show

is good

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
My desire for pointless background fluff wants a needless flashback to Chise's Dad witnessing a Cavorite powered flying navy version of the Commodore Perry's Expedition dropping in on Shogunate Japan. It would completely detract from the show, but be funny to watch.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
man i fuckin love this show, chise owns

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Homura and Sickle posted:

man i fuckin love this show, chise owns

This, only literally the entire cast. Even Normandy's shaping up to be a really interesting villain.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

AnoHito posted:

This, only literally the entire cast. Even Normandy's shaping up to be a really interesting villain.

Naw, he's the weakest part thus far. A counterintelligence operation would have suspected Princess as a traitor long ago. Team White Pigeon has pretty bad tradecraft. Instead, he just acts like a bastard for no reason (letting a rebel faction of a nominal ally run rampant in your territory looks terrible for you).

Everything else is great. Especially the animation, I love the detail of their swords getting progressively chipped over the course of the action, and everything during the climax of the episode.

I think the core theme of the show is on display: the value of suppressing personal feeling. Jubei and Chise are paralleled with Ange, as they have taken this attitude to an extreme. I suppose this is a way for a Japanese writer to try to examine the attitudes of his homeland in the past from another's perspective? Is it self-critical? Maybe, I mean, Jubei gave Beatrice a killing blow this episode with zero hesitation (Beatrice totally has a hidden agenda, pulling out a derringer and blasting away).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

(Beatrice totally has a hidden agenda, pulling out a derringer and blasting away).

Not that there's no way Beato turns coat or something later on, but uh I don't think she's been terribly subtle or hidden about her desire to protect Princess.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Phobophilia posted:

Naw, he's the weakest part thus far. A counterintelligence operation would have suspected Princess as a traitor long ago. Team White Pigeon has pretty bad tradecraft. Instead, he just acts like a bastard for no reason (letting a rebel faction of a nominal ally run rampant in your territory looks terrible for you).

Everything else is great. Especially the animation, I love the detail of their swords getting progressively chipped over the course of the action, and everything during the climax of the episode.

I think the core theme of the show is on display: the value of suppressing personal feeling. Jubei and Chise are paralleled with Ange, as they have taken this attitude to an extreme. I suppose this is a way for a Japanese writer to try to examine the attitudes of his homeland in the past from another's perspective? Is it self-critical? Maybe, I mean, Jubei gave Beatrice a killing blow this episode with zero hesitation (Beatrice totally has a hidden agenda, pulling out a derringer and blasting away).

He isn't acting like a bastard for no reason, and how can something look terrible if no one knows about it?

As I understand it the Duke has only "allied" with the Shogunate to use as a catspaw to hobble the Princess, which is a practical goal to keep her as "Princess of Air" and not as a viable contender/tool for others. As the previous episode revealed Japan doesn't consider itself aligned with either side so it follows they don't know the Duke was involved in the assassination attempt, so while Chise is on loan as a quid pro quo asset to the Commonwealth Japan isn't hostile to the Kingdom.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I have been enjoying the show a lot, but as in most spy stories...I can imagine they still have some double or triple crossing cards left to play. It would also tie into the relative inactivity of the antagonists. They must be counting on something like that.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Phobophilia posted:

He just tried to have the princess politically destroyed, I think he might suspect something. I mean, it's not like he can just come right out and accuse/publicly suspect a member of the royal family.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Actually, I think the Duke just was trying to straight up murder the Princess. I'm betting the deal he cut with Jubei was that the Duke would help set up the assassination as long as Jubei "accidentally" took out the Princess alongside his real target. You can see when Princess runs past him, Jubei hesitates and almost looks like he's going to go after her, but then Chise launches another attack and he has to defend himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Inviting a foreign power to run roughshod in your territory is a terrible idea, as it opens you up to attacks from your political opponents. An attack via trains and derailments and explosives isn't something you can easily sweep under the rug. No, if the Duke of Normandy really suspected Princess, he'd not stoop to something risky and crude like that, he'd start running surveillance and counterintelligence against them. He has the resources, and Team White Pigeon lack the tradecraft to avoid that.

Though that's probably what's occurring in Case 13 (ep1),

• Locked thread