Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Cool . i'm reading a bit, there's a G5S+ as well? Worth waiting for that? i'd love to get the g5+ on an amazon sale but don't know how to predict it. No urgent need for it right now and can wait a bit.

It's been announced and the euro pricing is like 300 euros for the 4gb model, 250 for the other. American prices haven't been announced but will be "in the fall"

The specs are here

http://blog.motorola.com/2017/08/01/special-editions-now-joining-moto-g⁵-family/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

Also, if you're using fingerprint unlock remember that in the USA you can be compelled to unlock your phone by fingerprint by "the authorities" which isn't the case for a PIN/password. Also also, fingerprint technology is somewhat-easily bypassed if you're the specific target of someone rather than you just being the victim of a random theft or loss.

It is absurdly easy to reboot your phone though and then PIN is required. Yes, there might be circumstances where you might not have time to do so, but it's something to keep in mind if you encountered a situation where you don't want to be compelled to unlock

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It is absurdly easy to reboot your phone though and then PIN is required. Yes, there might be circumstances where you might not have time to do so, but it's something to keep in mind if you encountered a situation where you don't want to be compelled to unlock

In those cases just tap the fingerprint sensor with the wrong finger like 5 times as you're pulling it out of your pocket.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, definitely, I was just pointing it out for people who didn't think about it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Cool . i'm reading a bit, there's a G5S+ as well? Worth waiting for that? i'd love to get the g5+ on an amazon sale but don't know how to predict it. No urgent need for it right now and can wait a bit.

There's nothing to indicate you can get the Amazon deal with ads in exchange for $70 off on the G5S+. Also while the newer phone has a better camera which might be worth it to you, the Bluetooth is rumored to be a lower version (no confirmation on whether the spec sheet is just wrong).

I probably wouldn't wait for it unless the camera is that much of an upgrade for you given the price difference.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm going to rightfully poo poo on Google for dropping it but then buy it anyways.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Are there any good cases for the G5+? I got a Diztronic one (matte black) and it fits okay, but it's a dust magnet and other than the Diztronic logo and buttons on the right side, the edges are completely smooth and only somewhat less slippery than the aluminum I wanted to cover in the first place.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Chiming in to say requiring a pin every few days is dumb, just make it the backup option if your fingerprint fails a few times.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah, drat Google, thinking about policies that benefit wide audiences instead of us, the power users.

Also, count me in as someone who doesn't care about the headphone jack and gets annoyed that I have to use the cable to connect my QC35s to my switch.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

..btt posted:

Hi, I don't give a gently caress about fingerprint readers on android phones because it's intensely annoying to me that it prompts you for other authentication every few days. That's like the opposite of quick and convenient. I've given it a good go twice now, and both times it's lasted a few weeks before I've returned to the basic slide to unlock.

This is really my biggest bugbear with android, though I appreciate I'm probably not a standard user. There are "helpful" features that annoy the hell out of me and can't be turned off.

Another would be the fact it's totally impossible to disable the "large download" warning on the play store. No, gently caress off Google, I don't want to connect to Wi-Fi for this "enormous" 100mb download, much like the last 500 times you asked me. My phone has an 80mbit uncapped connection. Why would I want to find a public Wi-Fi connection which will probably charge me and be far slower than my data connection? I know why it's the default but let me turn the drat thing off.

Iirc it prompts for other auth if you change from wifi to cell, or has been sitting still for more than a few hours without being plugged in, etc. That's presumably an Android thing as opposed to any particular device unless they hosed with it. It's not a terrible idea security wise since a lot of those things go with the phone being lost or going through some change in environment that might indicate it was stolen.

Can't say I disagree on the required wifi thing though, the least they could do is say you can't download it if your signal's lovely or so slow that you'd eat so much battery during the download that it risks dying during the patch.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

LastInLine posted:

What if you could have the security of a hundred digit passcode but it could be entered faster than the blink of an eye? So fast, in fact, that it would wake the device quicker than even if there was no security at all? What if your passwords, credit card information, and 2FA tokens were also protected by such security but also available to you, and only you, at an instant? What if you could have this security for the price of dinner? You can, because the rest of us have had it for half a decade now.

Yeah, that makes sense I guess. Thanks for explaining-

LastInLine posted:

There are reasons to forgo a fingerprint sensor: You're a pedophile or you distribute narcotics. In both cases it's completely rational to rely on other forms of security. For everyone else, I'd argue a fingerprint sensor is about as close to indispensable as a feature could be. You either have an insecure passcode, have horribly insecure workarounds like trusted devices and places, or you're so inconvenienced that it's not worth using a smartphone for anything useful. God help you if you also use a password locker on your phone too.

If you won't pony up the, what, $20 to get your parents a secure phone... I mean, hey, maybe your childhood sucked and you want to get back at them but come on there have to be less hateful ways to accomplish that. The G5+ (with a fingerprint sensor!) is $230.

:stare:

I'm not sure why you think I don't want a fingerprint scanner instead of asking why they were so impressive like I did, but thanks for weirdly implying I'm a pedophile/drug dealer or that my parents ignoring my advice and buying the newest Samsung instead with their own money means I had a lovely childhood or hate my parents you loving weirdo

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

eXXon posted:

Are there any good cases for the G5+? I got a Diztronic one (matte black) and it fits okay, but it's a dust magnet and other than the Diztronic logo and buttons on the right side, the edges are completely smooth and only somewhat less slippery than the aluminum I wanted to cover in the first place.

I have the version of this for the g4 and it is good, it looks kind of weird for the g5 tho

https://www.amazon.com/Generation-Rebex-Protective-Absorption-Resistant/dp/B06XRYFNQ3

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wrist Watch posted:

Yeah, that makes sense I guess. Thanks for explaining-

:stare:

I'm not sure why you think I don't want a fingerprint scanner instead of asking why they were so impressive like I did, but thanks for weirdly implying I'm a pedophile/drug dealer or that my parents ignoring my advice and buying the newest Samsung instead with their own money means I had a lovely childhood or hate my parents you loving weirdo

I'm not implying that you're a pedo drug dealer, I'm just saying if you are a pedo drug dealer, fingerprints are not for you. You've got a lot more to lose than convenience in that case and it's definitely a scenario where if you're claiming it's not for you that you're right. For the average user though, it's just the perfect solution to a surprisingly difficult problem.

I'm also saying that fingerprint readers are down to the entry level now and maybe your parents are like my parents and any obstacle for 71 year old fingers to operate a basic necessity like a telephone are really meaningful?

I gifted my father my used Nexus 5 when I got a free line (with unlimited everything) from T-Mobile. He was wary about a smartphone but free is free, right? Once he started to use it and see just how nice it was, moving him up to a fingerprint phone was a no-brainer and now he's really loving it. Part of it was the larger screen elements but the fact that it just works and what was a minor obstacle for me was a major obstacle for him. No more finding a tiny button, no more swipes, just pick up and use. (I am sorry your parents ended up with a Samsung :( )

People bag on Apple for touting their innovation and claiming their devices are magical and rightly so in a lot of cases. This is one area though where you can point to them taking something that was around but badly implemented and showed how it's done. And you know what? It is pretty magical to be securely authenticated without any user intervention. Why didn't Microsoft implement the same thing in laptops when hardware manufacturers were putting in half baked solutions? Why didn't Motorola or HTC (two companies who tried fingerprint sensors earlier) work to make that both secure and effortless? The smartphone has been around for ten years but I'd make the claim that they really didn't cross that threshold into greatness prior to the fingerprint sensor simply because it makes using them effectively so much better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HTC's me-too implementation was originally so terrible that fingerprints were saved as unencrypted bitmaps.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

HTC's me-too implementation was originally so terrible that fingerprints were saved as unencrypted bitmaps.

To be fair to HTC it wasn't so much a me-too implementation as a rush to beat the iPhone (which they still blew). Reminds me of another Android OEM who I can't quite remember that rushes to implement rumored features in the forthcoming iPhone only for the implementation to be buggy and useless but present on a spec sheet.

Now if only I knew the square root of four...

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Oh, uh, okay

Sorry then, it was just such an extreme set of examples I mistook it as a personal attack or something. Like I said, I don't disagree that they aren't useful, I was just doubtful of what made them so amazing which you already explained.

I get that using your fingerprint is faster/easier, but I'm really not sure I see it was ever a "surprisingly difficult problem" to the average user. To the kinds of people that post here yeah it makes things way easier, but I'm pretty sure the average user barely has any security on their phone at all besides a basic pattern or 4 digit pin and has no idea what a password manager even is. It's a moot point regardless because as is mentioned, you'd basically have to go out of your way to avoid having a fingerprint scanner at this point unless you're buying a two year old phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Wrist Watch posted:

Oh, uh, okay

Sorry then, it was just such an extreme set of examples I mistook it as a personal attack or something. Like I said, I don't disagree that they aren't useful, I was just doubtful of what made them so amazing which you already explained.

I get that using your fingerprint is faster/easier, but I'm really not sure I see it was ever a "surprisingly difficult problem" to the average user. To the kinds of people that post here yeah it makes things way easier, but I'm pretty sure the average user barely has any security on their phone at all besides a basic pattern or 4 digit pin and has no idea what a password manager even is. It's a moot point regardless because as is mentioned, you'd basically have to go out of your way to avoid having a fingerprint scanner at this point unless you're buying a two year old phone.

Phones with fingerprint scanners should enforce a minimum password complexity.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

RZA Encryption posted:

In those cases just tap the fingerprint sensor with the wrong finger like 5 times as you're pulling it out of your pocket.

You can tap the little padlock icon on the lockscreen too.

Which is what I suspect is happening to some of the people complaining about having to constantly enter their pin.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Thermopyle posted:

Just do it right so people don't end up making their passwords "Pa$$word123"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

...hold on, gotta change my password

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

All I care about in terms of headphone jack is that it's on the same end of the phone as the notification LED. Oh and that it has one.

Oh yeah, the lack of notification led is another thing that makes the g5+ only an interim phone for me. Yeah it has some sort of active display nonsense but that only works if you wake the phone in some way. So if you miss the sound/vibration, the phone will give you no indication that a thing happened.

Which one was the LG pixel 2 again? Hopefully the XL

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Sereri posted:

So if you miss the sound/vibration, the phone will give you no indication that a thing happened.

It should breathe periodically

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Thermopyle posted:

:yeah:

There wouldn't be any real reason not to do so anymore.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
It's really weird just how many Sony phones I've seen today in the mall and on the bus. Unless some other company makes square edged phones, I've seen at least five today.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What's a recommended Amazon available USB c cable for the pixel XL. Need a few spares for work/car

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I loved this app that stopped working after like Android 4.4 called TimePIN that would change your unlock PIN automatically based on the current time along with several optional modifiers. I had it set up with a reversal modifier and a custom offset for each digit of the current time. Took about 1 second longer than normal for me to parse the time and figure out the new PIN. I've seen a few other apps that claim to do the same thing, but in the age of fingerprint scanners... eh.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Calaveron posted:

What's a recommended Amazon available USB c cable for the pixel XL. Need a few spares for work/car

Amazon Basics.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Red Warrior posted:

Amazon Basics.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wrist Watch posted:

Oh, uh, okay

Sorry then, it was just such an extreme set of examples I mistook it as a personal attack or something.

No worries, man. You're one of my favorite posters in the thread and I'm sorry to have offended you. :)

Sereri posted:

Oh yeah, the lack of notification led is another thing that makes the g5+ only an interim phone for me. Yeah it has some sort of active display nonsense but that only works if you wake the phone in some way. So if you miss the sound/vibration, the phone will give you no indication that a thing happened.

Which one was the LG pixel 2 again? Hopefully the XL

It is the XL that LG will be making.

I'm solidly with you in the notification LED camp though a well implemented always-on display might be okay too. I think from any distance a color is better than a dim grey on black notification you have to read but at least it's an indication something is there.

I will be sad when the notification LED is finally gone forever.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just saw that the Moto G5S Plus, aka the Moto G5 Plus Special, was announced yesterday starting at 300 Euros. Specs are pretty much the same as the old G5 except better cameras and all metal design. On a related note, Lenovo has really hosed up the naming scheme of the phones and made it as confusing as possible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Last year, it looked like Lenmoto might have been getting back in their feet for anything other than dirt cheap disposable phone market, but they're dropping the ball big time this year. Both the Z2 play and the Z2 Force are a step backwards where it matters most. They constant making GBS threads out new devices which makes it even more unlikely that they will get their poo poo together from an update perspective.

And the new Moto X will be sans dimple. SANS DIMPLE.

Sigh. They are still the cleanest, smoothest running non-pixel devices out there and I have to trouble looking at the G5 Plus as fantastic value, but their flagship are not worth it until you can get them for $5/month on a payment plan.

They already knocked off $80 from the Z2 Force and it hasn't even been out a week.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

dissss posted:

You can tap the little padlock icon on the lockscreen too.

Which is what I suspect is happening to some of the people complaining about having to constantly enter their pin.

I have no padlock to tap. There's a fingerprint symbol, but tapping it does nothing.
Nexus 6p, no lock screen modifications, stock software.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Hmmm maybe my memory is faulty but I'm fairly sure there was some way to do it, at least on older versions of the N6P software

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Swiping up should bring up the PIN request.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Swiping up does indeed allow me to input my password, but there's still no lock symbol or any way for me to make the fingerprint not function.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah that was a thing you could do with trusted location/device, not fingerprint. Only way to force password input on it is to restart the device or fail enough times to trigger lockout.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
edit: nvm

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

In which scenarios would you want the fingerprint to fail over to PIN? In case someone is trying to force you to open it? I'm trying to get a good grasp of this, perhaps come up with a good idea.

Fingerprint is better than PIN in a pickpocket scenario as it's very easy to just look over your shoulder for the PIN or slide pattern, then grab the phone later. If there's a threat of violence, it's probably better to simply let the phone go and have an easily accessible remote wipe solution to defend your data, perhaps leave "remember password" unticked on apps which can transfer money or similar. Having access to my email would expose a bunch of other accounts, I'd want to close that asap. I'd like a quick toggle to enable fingerprint or password auth to open the email app. It could be location triggered as it needn't be precise and making it harder to check work email on holiday is a good thing anyway.

How about a self destruct thing? Pick a finger that you won't accidentally use but doesn't look too suspicious when compelled to open and it wipes the phone - or at least performs a set of actions to defend your data but satisfy the thief.

If the threat is some Blofeld trying to own you or a nation state trying to arrest you for being a drug smuggler, pedo or spy, a strong screen lock concept is a Wile E. Coyote umbrella against falling boulders anyway.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Yeah that was a thing you could do with trusted location/device, not fingerprint. Only way to force password input on it is to restart the device or fail enough times to trigger lockout.

I could swear it used to work as dissss described but I can't even find reference to it anywhere on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I could swear it used to work as dissss described but I can't even find reference to it anywhere on the internet.

I always had trusted location on too (although it seldom worked) so perhaps it had something to do with it.