Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
In the 90s an Irish chick named Dolores O'Riordan wrote a song about being a Star Citizen backer in 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA3vXLH8uwE

I'm sure I'm not being rude
But it's just your attitude
It's tearing me aparttttttttttt
It's ruining every dayyyyyyyyyy

And I swore,
I swore I would be true
And Crobberts, SOOOO DID YOUUUUUU
So why were you delaying again??
Is that the way we stand?
Were you LYING ALL THE TIME??
Was it just a game to you?

But I'm innnnnnnnn so deep
You know I'm such a foooooooooooool for you
You've got me wrapped around your fingerrrrrrrrrr
Do you have to let it lingerrrrrrrr?
Do you have to, do you have to, do have to let it lingerrrrrrrrrrrrr?

Ohhhhhh, IIIIIIIIIIII tought the world of you
I thought nothing could go wrong
But I was wronnnnnnnnnnnng, I WAS WRONNNGGGGGG

If you...,
if you could get by
Trying not to lieeeeeeee
Things wouldn't be so confused
And I wouldn't feel so used
But you always really knew
I just WANNA PLEDGE TO YOUUUUUU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Sarsapariller posted:

Skip to about ~16:00 for the real breakdown.

But it's not just Star Citizen.

It's okay to not want to play video games, duder.

He wanted to make a job streaming video games for the internet. Unfortunately, he has discovered he hates video games. WTFO, it's okay to not want to play video games. In fact, people who like to watch others play video games are the audience members of streams. Mind you, you might need to get another job, but you don't need to play video games for the internet.

So, do you think he hated video games before he became obsessed with Star Citizen, or being obsessed with Star Citizen has made him hate video games.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
Going through the Glassdoor reviews for CIG, I came across this odd one from 2015

How many have suffered the fate of carrying Lesnick on their backs?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Amazing Zimmo posted:

How many have suffered the fate of carrying Lesnick on their backs?

That poor bastard has a DOB of July 14th.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Meridian posted:

Much like posting here, it seems that there's a very careful dance between rolling with the punches, ignoring poo poo, and the "counter-rear end in a top hat" maneuver that need to be juggled to maintain cred and not melt down.

You shouldn't piss yourself on a live stream. Fight me!

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

Are you subscribed to the subreddit?

Why do you hate free speech?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Amazing Zimmo posted:

You shouldn't piss yourself on a live stream. Fight me!

:argh:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

these are much better than reading about people's opinion of Derek Smart

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Hahahahaha

Pick up artists will always be funny to me

It's like knowing this one neat trick that vending machines hate for getting two cans of pepsi, and then when you order a meal with a drink at McDonalds you start punching the cashier to get another drink

I know it's completely off-topic to say so, but this analogy is loving gold!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Jesus christ just look at the if branching, one after the other, four deep in four lines. One tiny snippet of code and it's undeniable that CIG's programmers are god drat amateurs.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/892814952930713600

Everyone working for CIG ends up getting the "thousand yard stare"...

Like just look at this dude, I reckon he's walked in on Lesnick having a shower.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Toops posted:

Jesus christ just look at the if branching, one after the other, four deep in four lines. One tiny snippet of code and it's undeniable that CIG's programmers are god drat amateurs.

I know bugger all about programming, so why is branching bad?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Only a few million bugs to go

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

MinorInconvenience posted:

I know it's completely off-topic to say so, but this analogy is loving gold!

Glad you like it, feel free to memorize it so you can deliver a sick burn on a pick up artist before throwing his fedora like a frisbee

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
What ever happened to Capt. Underpants? I remember him from the rsi forums; does he still post on SA?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Quavers posted:

Branching means your processor can't predict what instruction it will do next, since that depends on which branch is picked, so it can't prepare and pre-fetch the data needed for the next cycle. You can't completely remove branching, but you can simplify, combine, and compress it so that you only lose one or two such cycles of non-prediction while the processor resolves the conditional statement and figures out what to do.

What they have there are four conditionals in a row — each of which stalls the processor and keeps one of its main automatic optimisations from not happening.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wuxi posted:

Why do you hate free speech?

I'm a mod. Free speech and comedy are my mortal enemies.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

If any of you nerds have Vermintide, come join my Goon Squad and kill rats.

https://www.twitch.tv/meridiansa

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Meridian posted:

If any of you nerds have Vermintide, come join my Goon Squad and kill rats.

https://www.twitch.tv/meridiansa

Nice

I'm literally 6% away from having the game installed

I haven't played in forever, but all I want do do is be a stunty and swing my axe around at some literal rat bastards

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm a mod. Free speech and comedy are my mortal enemies.

Do you fight on the back of a vespa?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Quavers posted:

Simplest take:

The best route for code is for a CPU to be able to predict what is coming up for future processing, and then it can grab things from memory ahead of time, and do calculations before they are needed. The most efficient possible code path for a CPU is a branchless program. There are specific assembly language instructions in x86/64 assembly for avoiding branches, that's how important it is.

Any time a CPU has to make a decision about what code branch to use, it can screw up prediction algorithms. Preferably, you want all code to run branchless. That's not always possible, but you want to reduce it as much as possible. Nesting a half dozen "if' statements is a wreck. You might have to do something like that here and there, but it showing up in their curated video is a bad sign for the over all state of their code.

Anytime your code can branch in a different direction, it fucks with memory and code prefetching, ruins precalculation, might blow both your code and data cache, and your whole CPU pipeline might need to be reset because you're now running down a different code path.

Any place your code can branch is one of the costliest processor time segments.

XK fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 3, 2017

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Glad you like it, feel free to memorize it so you can deliver a sick burn on a pick up artist before throwing his fedora like a frisbee

Already memorized.

The only awkward part is trying to figure out how to squeeze in an attribution to you without sounding like an idiot....

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

XK posted:

So, here's the WTFOSaurus meltdown. Go to 7:08 if it doesn't automatically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlacl84JNVA&t=428s

:munch:

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

XK posted:

Simplest take:

The best route for code is for a CPU to be able to predict what is coming up for future processing, and then it can grab things from memory ahead of time, and do calculations before they are needed. The most efficient possible code path for a CPU is a branchless program. There are specific assembly language instructions in x86/64 assembly for avoiding branches, that's how important it is.

Any time a CPU has to make a decision about what code branch to use, it can screw up prediction algorithms. Preferably, you want all code to run branchless. That's not always possible, but you want to reduce it as much as possible. Nesting a half dozen "if' statements is a wreck. You might have to do something like that here and there, but it showing up in their curated video is a bad sign for the over all state of their code.

Anytime your code can branch in a different direction, it fucks with memory and code prefetching, ruins precalculation, might blow your both your code and data cache, and your whole CPU pipeline might need to be reset because you're now running down a different code path.

This is of course from the same company that sets routers on fire with their patcher so everything is normal.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Chris's brain is an infinite loop of branches starting at WOULDN'T IT BE COOL IF and looping to WAVE HANDS

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Mr Fronts posted:

Welcome! Please follow these simple steps to fit in:

1. If you are lucky enough to post at the top of a new page, you must either dox someone or post cat pictures. Can't remember which, but Arf Jason will concern troll for a month if you pick the wrong one.

2. Any time Derek posts about something, just agree with him that he TOTALLY CALLED IT. This makes him incredibly happy.

3. In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. All empires except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the painful, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their sexual organs will be subjected to a penectomy or if the offender was a female, they would then have a razor inserted into their ovaries. They would pump a blue solution into the womb until the stitchings burst. Offenders would also be forced to show their operated areas in public, and they would always harass and punch them to a pulp, against their will.

Otherwise, offenders would be tazed with the worst type of electricity in the systematic district, causing so much pain, the victim would scream and flail in madness. The pain would also triple every second, but no death would be incurred. This is also used in combat against enemy units, which is why all UEE forces must wear the upgraded suit to block this effect.

However, enertainment is also questionable in UEE grounds. Sporting events end with the losing team being rounded into a grinder and shredded on live television, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, flight races would end with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. People are also forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 127 hour procedure which involves tweaking the muscles so they will not listen to brain commands, and then having a painful drug injected which also causes madness if the player is not sporting. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during sporting times and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

Snuff films are also broadcast, and actors are actually murdered just for entertainment. Stealth droids also guide these forced actors into behaving exactly as the director dreams, otherwise they will be punished by being placed into a macerator and having their execution written into the film. Any film that does not feature someone being murdered will be burned and the entire crew behind it will be executed in the most grotesque way possible - vivisection.

All executions are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will be executed. All citizens must boo to the person being executed, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot pass out, but they will feel like it forever.

Conquests by this Stimpire end in the planet being razed, and all the citizens being executed in the same way as their citizens are. The planet is then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly from civil minds. People who are also killed are also erased from memories, and all memories of them, including toys and pictures, are destroyed.

Prisoners undergo 40,000 years of relentless and endless labor, and anyone not complying is sentenced to the eternator injection. All prisoners injected with eternators are placed into capsules and launched into far space, then the room is closed tight to ensure maximum insanity. Some prisoners are also subjected to the removal of blood, the lungs, the liver, the genitals, the skeleton, the muscles, the eyes, and even the injection of pressure. Prisoners sentenced to pressure chambers are locked in until they are inflated to a high level. The decompression is then stopped to make sure they are inflated and uncomfortable.

Children born on the 14th of July are subjected to the removal of their skeleton and an implant of a silver liquid to replace it. The nervous sysem is also injected in various parts to ensure it is five times more sensitive than the average.

Restaurants also are ordered to serve civil meat, and anyone attending must give themself up to be cooked into a grotesque meal. They are cooked alive, undergoing extreme pain, and are then subjected to industrial grinders and blenders. The Stimpire orders at least 1 million citizens to be dispatched every day, as they are afraid the population may overthrow them. But only one planet is cared for, and the rest are banned from eating, drinking, talking, using technology, touching anyone, wearing unauthorized clothes, touching buildings, or walking a centimeter out of designated routes. Civil enforcers are on every planet, and they are engineered so that they are 40 times larger than the 300 quadrillion population. At least 7 billion die every 12 hours under this rule.

Thoughts are also surveyed, and anyone who does not think anything to loving the Stimpire with more than their capabilities will be sentenced to a prison. Prisoners who are punished for this violation will meet their greatest fear, only to have it amplified so they will turn insane as they imagine it exactly as they fear it. They then undergo a painful extraction of all fluids, to be replaced by a toxin which causes permanent irritation. The unknown substance keeps the subject aging normally, except they will never die. Prisoners punished in this way are unable to be reverted, despite many efforts, and they will never be able to be disposed.

The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and invigilation teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the galactic space of this sickening empire.

:perfect:
:five::five::five:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The 4th stimpire should be 4. on the list and there shouldn't be a 3.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Endless scope indeed.

Derek :argh:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

XK posted:

Simplest take:

Anytime your code can branch in a different direction, it fucks with memory and code prefetching, ruins precalculation, might blow both your code and data cache, and your whole CPU pipeline might need to be reset because you're now running down a different code path.

CPU time is cheap...but I look at it from the stand point that the code posted is badly designed from the outright. We can probably have a full discussion over how we hope the compiler may vectorize the loops, how choosing list vs map from the STL may affect cache efficiency, or how Intel bet wrong years ago cranking out 5 GHz processor with deep pipelines. And I'll leave out Itanium and EPIC.

But I know one thing. At the end of the day...Roberts is still an idiot.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

DisturbedJim gets owned by Derek regularly, and I think was the guy that Streetroller savaged on a stream, and constantly owns himself all over the place. It's hard to tell which one you're talking about lol.

Yeah, it's him. One and the same. He's a special kind of idiot; so there's no confusing him. He is matched only by Cymelion and Redchris8. The other contender to this thrown, obey-the-shaft, has seen been banned on Reddit.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MinorInconvenience posted:

In other news, CIG has about 60 job openings right now.

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs
https://www.glassdoor.com/Jobs/Cloud-Imperium-Games-Jobs-E776546.htm

All but 9 are for Foundry 42 Ltd in UK or Germany.

The last financials filed by Foundry 42 Ltd (which covers the UK and German offices) noted that they had a bit over 200 employees. So they have open jobs amounting to 20-25% of their European workforce. You know, the place where all the groundbreaking technologies are developed.

That's not very good no matter how you slice it. Ha!

Well it's all fake. So. :colbert:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

illectro posted:

Just remember the game's physics grids mean they ignore the problem of cargo moving.
(but still allow pilots still to suffer from red-out)

There are no liquid gravity pipes in your brain.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Titanic posted:

It's not a hobby, it's his job. But it's no less miserable. He is probably making good money though given his tolerance and constant re-alignment.

I don't know. He seems like the kind of guy to get all excited about a new job/thing/hobby and spend a bunch of money he doesn't have to get into it.

It's not cheap to have that nice chair/mic/puter/etc. I can't imagine that CIG is paying THAT much to just have some drunk pervert twitch their game constantly.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

For any aspiring assembly language programmers, the CPU will always assume least address progression. A "next address or jump forward" branch will be assumed as "next address". A "next address or jump backwards" branch will be assumed as "jump backwards".

If you ever upset what the CPU predicted, you get a pipeline stall. Crazy pipeline optimizations is why Intel was able to put out 4+ Ghz processors 10+ years ago, but is still only now at 4Ghz CPUs. The pipelines got so long that the prediction was no longer functionally reliable, and they had to fall back to multicore. They've since fundamentally changed their architecture to be more reliant on multiprocessing, and now are more tied to the speed of their silicon.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/JLaelFletcher/status/892868913993830401

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Well hey, now you can know more about games programming than CRobber for a mere $15. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Tippis posted:

Branching means your processor can't predict what instruction it will do next, since that depends on which branch is picked, so it can't prepare and pre-fetch the data needed for the next cycle. You can't completely remove branching, but you can simplify, combine, and compress it so that you only lose one or two such cycles of non-prediction while the processor resolves the conditional statement and figures out what to do.

What they have there are four conditionals in a row — each of which stalls the processor and keeps one of its main automatic optimisations from not happening.

Thanks!

XK posted:

Simplest take:

Thanks!

Colostomy Bag posted:

CPU time is cheap...but I look at it from the stand point that the code posted is badly designed from the outright. We can probably have a full discussion over how we hope the compiler may vectorize the loops, how choosing list vs map from the STL may affect cache efficiency, or how Intel bet wrong years ago cranking out 5 GHz processor with deep pipelines. And I'll leave out Itanium and EPIC.

But this went over my head by 100 sextillion km :aaaaa:

Colostomy Bag posted:

But I know one thing. At the end of the day...Roberts is still an idiot.

This is good for Star Citizen?