Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Tainen posted:

Invites will now be handed out via special card in random booster packs.

They'll be personal invites from Richard Garfield to his card factory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Tainen posted:

Invites will now be handed out via special card in random booster packs.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
this change isn't good but how many third-party tournaments do scg and cfb run that actually qualify to give out PT invites? is it actually significant enough to cut entrants a lot?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

whether or not its going to cut a significant amount of entrants is kind of irrelevant in the face that it's at best, what exactly? what is the best case scenario for this change? because i see no positive side to this.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
It sound like they only gave them out at their invitationals so it couldn't have been more than 1 or 2 tickets a year.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

WotC has said that they basically want the same personalities playing and doing well in every pro tour, because "esports."

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

Retromancer posted:

WotC has said that they basically want the same personalities playing and doing well in every pro tour, because "esports."

WotC feels like a middle-age parent trying to connect with their teenage child by making Gangnam Style references in 2017.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

rabidsquid posted:

whether or not its going to cut a significant amount of entrants is kind of irrelevant in the face that it's at best, what exactly? what is the best case scenario for this change? because i see no positive side to this.

Cutting one of the prizes from SCG Invitations means less incentive for pros to focus on SCG Invitationals, which means SCG Invitationals will be less interesting to watch, which means fewer people will be watching SCG streams, which means more people will be watching WotC streams instead, which means WotC makes more money from advertising.

And as we all know, most of WotC's income is from advertisements on its stream, so this is definitely the key trick that will save this dying game. That's how games like Minecraft and League of Legends got so profitable: the companies behind them made sure no streams other than the official company stream were watchable.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
https://twitter.com/OwenTweetenwald/status/892817684412248064

Owen is great.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Retromancer posted:

this isnt a fundamentally terrible idea, having recognizable pros around would actually be good for the game. the problem is that wotc is trying to go about establishing this while also never taking a loss or doing any long term thinking. riot lost a TON of money establishing pro league, wotc will literally never make that kind of investment.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mezzanon posted:

Will do!

Kerr Hall Gymnasium at Ryerson University

Oh I don't know anything near Yonge/Gerrard, but I just recommend every nerd I know to go to TILT arcade bar. About 20ish minutes away by subway.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lone Goat posted:

Oh I don't know anything near Yonge/Gerrard, but I just recommend every nerd I know to go to TILT arcade bar. About 20ish minutes away by subway.

I have some local friends taking me to Tilt already!

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

this isnt a fundamentally terrible idea, having recognizable pros around would actually be good for the game. the problem is that wotc is trying to go about establishing this while also never taking a loss or doing any long term thinking. riot lost a TON of money establishing pro league, wotc will literally never make that kind of investment.

They've always been obsessed with short term gains. I watched Numot streaming today and he got whistful about how he almost switched to hearthstone when it was in its Beta and he had 2500 people watching him stream it the first time. Magic is a better game but Hearthstone is a thousand times better job if you are a streamer. Reynad getting banned from magic was seriously the best and luckiest thing to happen to him and his godawful stream.

They still operate like they are the only game in town and it's 1998. If I found out the current head of WOTC was the CEO of Blockbuster Video I wouldn't be surprised.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
The problem with magic as an e-sport is that it's fundamentally boring as gently caress to watch two dudes think at each other for 25-50 minutes

The literal only thing that keeps it watchable is good commentary

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

rabidsquid posted:

I have been playing MTG for two decades plus at this point and have never given a poo poo which nerd wearing a blazer over his best t-shirt was the world champion or at the bleeding edge of limited or whatever. I only cared if the game was fun and at least moderately affordable for whatever format I was interested in at the moment.

I understand why the whole esports thing is so appealing to WOTC but as you said they either can't or won't sink the kind of money necessary to actually flesh out a decent structure (and even if they wanted to Hasbro would probably say no).

I really don't understand how they can just keep making poo poo decision after poo poo decision and still be scratching their heads over why the game is getting (relatively) crushed by the competition.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sit on my Facebook posted:

The problem with magic as an e-sport is that it's fundamentally boring as gently caress to watch two dudes think at each other for 25-50 minutes

The literal only thing that keeps it watchable is good commentary

Basically. Its just a bad game for spectating.

The coverage from the last pt was the best its had personality wise. They still completely fail from the production side of things though.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

The coverage from the last pt was the best its had personality wise. They still completely fail from the production side of things though.

I get so tilted by the production quality for GP's and the pro tour, as a broadcast school graduate it's so, so, SO loving bad.

First year students could do better

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
i like how the big ad for their card game that they want us to watch keeps getting interrupted by stupid non-gameplay content and ads, preventing me from watching the main ad I'm trying to watch, causing me to turn off the ads altogether

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Marketing New Brain posted:

They've always been obsessed with short term gains. I watched Numot streaming today and he got whistful about how he almost switched to hearthstone when it was in its Beta and he had 2500 people watching him stream it the first time. Magic is a better game but Hearthstone is a thousand times better job if you are a streamer. Reynad getting banned from magic was seriously the best and luckiest thing to happen to him and his godawful stream.

They still operate like they are the only game in town and it's 1998. If I found out the current head of WOTC was the CEO of Blockbuster Video I wouldn't be surprised.

funny that you mention reynad as he and pv were streaming some not magic game last night and i was thinking how funny that is, since presumably most of his audience wasnt familiar with his big baby meltdowns and mtg "career"

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Sickening posted:

If mtgo was good it would probably be pretty watchable. Watching some random streamer and being able to read their cards even on mobile is much better than watching a standard I'm not very familiar with.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

funny that you mention reynad as he and pv were streaming some not magic game last night and i was thinking how funny that is, since presumably most of his audience wasnt familiar with his big baby meltdowns and mtg "career"

big baby meltdowns are an asset to a streaming personality

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

i like how the big ad for their card game that they want us to watch keeps getting interrupted by stupid non-gameplay content and ads, preventing me from watching the main ad I'm trying to watch, causing me to turn off the ads altogether

The twitch stream is actually unwatchable without adblock. Seeing the same ad for some PS4 game I'll never play thirty times in an hour gets really old, really fast.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Hellsau posted:

The twitch stream is actually unwatchable without adblock. Seeing the same ad for some PS4 game I'll never play thirty times in an hour gets really old, really fast.

Link your Amazon prime to twitch if you have it.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
As someone who is just getting into Magic in a slightly-serious capacity (though I've played occasionally since I was a kid), the fact that the PT was at all interesting to me is probably a success for WotC. My wife, who is just now playing at all, was even enjoying the semifinals. So they're doing something right.

Also, I have Amazon Prime, so the ads weren't a factor for me.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 3, 2017

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Just remembered that tomorrow Magic Digital Next should be revealed.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-lionsgate-m-a-hasbro-idUSKBN1AI1XG

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

The top 8 run on Sunday is basically always the best part of pro tours re: coverage. But man there is just so much space to improve that they refuse to take.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tainen posted:

Just remembered that tomorrow Magic Digital Next should be revealed.

I was wondering about that once esports was mentioned. Something that can actually make visual sense to a spectator?

lol, I know it won't be anything good or fun or functioning.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Make the P/T bigger, add quick but clear visual effects, hire college students to organize the things instead of whatever overpayed chimpanzee they have doing it now.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Make the P/T bigger, add quick but clear visual effects, hire college students to organize the things instead of whatever overpayed chimpanzee they have doing it now.

Would they be willing accept some pocket lint and a lucky nickel as their salary

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Elyv posted:

Would they be willing accept some pocket lint and a lucky nickel as their salary

The issue with the coverage teams isnt salaries at this point.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The coverage team this go around was the best they've ever had by far. The content, or long stretches of lack thereof, is the issue at this point. And the amateurish production as someone also pointed out.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It sounds like they need an actual coverage team, instead of just getting the on-camera personalities and skipping the rest.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The coverage team this go around was the best they've ever had by far. The content, or long stretches of lack thereof, is the issue at this point. And the amateurish production as someone also pointed out.

Coverage teams are more than just the guys in front of the camera. Too many people who behind the camera just plain suck. Being that the amount of people fighting over video production jobs is even larger than the magic the gathering audience, only massive incompetence is keeping the production quality this poo poo.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Just have ESPN handle it all again.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Flip Yr Wig posted:

As someone who is just getting into Magic in a slightly-serious capacity (though I've played occasionally since I was a kid), the fact that the PT was at all interesting to me is probably a success for WotC. My wife, who is just now playing at all, was even enjoying the semifinals. So they're doing something right.

This Pro Tour was pretty exceptional. The commentary was on point (Riley Knight was great) and the competitors were high caliber and the games had some extremely exciting happenings. Nobody who watched the semifinals is going to make that mistake with Hazoret ever again.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Sickening posted:

Coverage teams are more than just the guys in front of the camera. Too many people who behind the camera just plain suck.

Special mention to the guy who I could hear playing MTGO every time there wasn't a game being shown.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Hellsau posted:

This Pro Tour was pretty exceptional. The commentary was on point (Riley Knight was great) and the competitors were high caliber and the games had some extremely exciting happenings. Nobody who watched the semifinals is going to make that mistake with Hazoret ever again.

Yeah, we didn't watch that much of it (on account of the time zones/work), so it was luck that we caught that Hazoret match. That definitely upped the drama. We were also making a lot of fun of the ridiculous space they were competing in. They could absolutely increase the production value there.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Can any of you guys help me out? I'm playing my first standard tournament on game day this week and built a sorta-budget deck out of things I've pulled from drafts. it's a zombies-scarab god deck. Thing is, I started playing at Amonkhet so I don't know of many good standard legal cards from before that set. The LGS I play at is pretty good with singles and I've got about $30 budgeted to buy, not to mention a bunch of trade rares that I can get some value out of like a couple hazorets, etc.

Creature (18)
2x Ammit Eternal
2x Bontu the Glorified
4x Khenra Eternal
2x Merciless Eternal
4x Miasmic Mummy
2x Plague Belcher
2x The Scarab God

Land (24)
2x Evolving Wilds
1x Fetid Pools
4x Island
17x Swamp

Artifact (3)
3x Traveler's Amulet

Unknown (4)
4x Lethal Sting

Instant (4)
2x Hour of Glory
2x Splendid Agony

Sorcery (3)
3x Stir the Sands

Enchantment (2)
2x Liliana's Mastery

Planeswalker (2)
2x Liliana, Death's Majesty

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-08-17-scarab-god-zombies/

I'm thinking about clearing out the Bontus and adding a couple more ammit eternals or merciless eternals

TIA I'll pass you a glorybringer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Witnessed today at my LGS's Modern night: In game three of GW Company versus Baral Storm, the Storm player is ready to go off and the Company player casts his namesake card digging for out. He hits Hierarch and Courser, relevant only in that Courser reveals the Eidolon of Rhetoric left atop his library, one card shy of being in the company.

His opponent untaps and goes off for the match, while Eidolon of Rhetoric watches.