Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It's rare I say this about any guitar but I think those are out and out poo poo.
There's usually something I like on a guitar but with those, I dunno I guess the knobs look OK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

That guitarbass is clearly made to be played by two lovers at once

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

peter gabriel posted:

It's rare I say this about any guitar but I think those are out and out poo poo.
There's usually something I like on a guitar but with those, I dunno I guess the knobs look OK!

I think you have to give it a little credit for being audaciously stupid, instead of just the regular ol' boring kind of stupid.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Anime Reference posted:

I think you have to give it a little credit for being audaciously stupid, instead of just the regular ol' boring kind of stupid.

It's got some neck that's for sure :v:

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
I like that if you play it sitting down your leg mashes into the knobs and toggle switch

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Concatenation posted:

I like that if you play it sitting down your leg mashes into the knobs and toggle switch

I think most guys are used to that anyway though.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahahahahaha oh my god :allears:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
delivered to your door gently caress me i just died laughing goodbye

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.fortinamps.com/product/33-matteblack/

lol $230 for a clean boost

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Not every clean boost is a sonic detonator tool that will transform any amp in to a metal wrecking ball.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

...and the pitch! posted:

Not every clean boost is a sonic detonator tool that will transform any amp in to a metal wrecking ball.

To be fair, every truly "clean boost" should function literally identically with maybe the exception of exactly how much boost there is.

if there's anything different about this boost, they would probably do well to advertise what that difference might be. Any clean boost tweaked for maximum metal carnage might be better off with a slight bass cut for added clarity during boosting, for example. But we don't know that. All we've been told is that it's an extended volume knob in a box with a green LED that costs the gimicky price of $233.33.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I just liked their ad copy. Truly stupid music poo poo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Does Meshuggah really even need any sort of pedals? Aren't they the same as those dudes from Periphery in that they run their whole show on rails through Pro-Tools / Cubase triggering their Axe-Fx's and such?

(Nothing against Periphery, I just find their music incredibly 'eh')

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Thorpe posted:

My stupid music poo poo currently is I sold someone a perfectly working power amp on reverb, which he took to Mexico and is now claiming it's sparking and not working and wants a refund.

I have a feeling I'm about to be boned hard here.

Stupid me didn't take a video of it working properly before shipping.

This is from about 10 pages ago but I just got the poweramp back and whaddya know it works fine. Dudes getting his cash back but at least he didn't blow the stupid thing up and gently caress me completely. Think I'm done with reverb for awhile.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

if there's anything different about this boost, they would probably do well to advertise what that difference might be. Any clean boost tweaked for maximum metal carnage might be better off with a slight bass cut for added clarity during boosting, for example. But we don't know that. All we've been told is that it's an extended volume knob in a box with a green LED that costs the gimicky price of $233.33.

it's literally a fortin grind with a slight low mid cut and a different paint job

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
misha/periphery has that whole horizon devices precision drive thing going on which legit seems worth looking at if you want that super tight modern metal sound (pls don't djent)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol thanks for reminding me misha slapped his name on peavey's 2 grand chinese amp

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Nice $230 MXR Micro Amp loool.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Concatenation posted:

misha/periphery has that whole horizon devices precision drive thing going on which legit seems worth looking at if you want that super tight modern metal sound (pls don't djent)

this sound belongs in the toilet and then flush the toilet.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

eh i mean everyone demoing it at the moment is either djenting or doing the ola style boxy modern high gain tone but i wouldn't be surprised if it becomes useful for more than that. kind of like how tubescreamers used to be just an overdrive pedal but everyone uses them to boost high gain amps now

this thread has a weird bipolar fascination between ripping on people that cling to old technology and ripping on people trying to push it forward, and im sitting here like ,,WHAT??". HEH. peace

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The price is unnecessary but I absolutely love how that thing sounds.

I want a Precision Drive too.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I'm making an Xotic EP Booster tomorrow those things sound p darn good and aren't crazy expensive.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

donut posted:

This loving thing at my local Guitar Center.

That is the first Busuyi that I've seen outside of an advertisement or monumentally lovely YouTube video by the company that makes them.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

The only boost pedal y'all should be having is the Boss EQ pedal

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Concatenation posted:

this thread has a weird bipolar fascination between ripping on people that cling to old technology and ripping on people trying to push it forward, and im sitting here like ,,WHAT??". HEH. peace

in this instance it's not pushing anything forward, it's putting a reference to a band and a new paint job on an already overpriced version of something that's been around for decades

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Concatenation posted:

eh i mean everyone demoing it at the moment is either djenting or doing the ola style boxy modern high gain tone but i wouldn't be surprised if it becomes useful for more than that. kind of like how tubescreamers used to be just an overdrive pedal but everyone uses them to boost high gain amps now

New things are often ill-conceived, designed by marketing or different for the sake of different and not musically useful, and old things are often overhyped and overpriced.

We have an especially strong suspicion for new things that are designed to emulate overpriced and overhyped old things, especially when they retain the price tag.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Wikipedia posted:

A 1988 year-end roundup of the year's top albums in Melody Maker ranked Isn't Anything third after the Pixies' Surfer Rosa and the Sugar Cubes' Life's Too Good and said "Isn't Anything is raving nymphomania and out-of-body experience. These are swoon-songs, oblivious, languorous vocals and out-of-focus guitars which are like being taken to the brink of consciousness and held there. My Bloody Valentine are always 'falling out of sleep', or slipping back into amnesia. And sexlove is their ultimate drug, a deliriant, hallucinogen, and narcotic all at once. 'Isn't Anything' establishes them as absent-minded rulers of this daydream nation."
Stupid music reviewer poo poo rather than stupid music poo poo but jesus christ what kind of colostomy bag writes this inane nonsense.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

The Muppets On PCP posted:

in this instance it's not pushing anything forward, it's putting a reference to a band and a new paint job on an already overpriced version of something that's been around for decades

stillvisions posted:

New things are often ill-conceived, designed by marketing or different for the sake of different and not musically useful, and old things are often overhyped and overpriced.

We have an especially strong suspicion for new things that are designed to emulate overpriced and overhyped old things, especially when they retain the price tag.

Err my comment was specifically referring to the misha precision drive which has a lot more going on with it than the thordendal boost. I'm right on board with you wrt to the latter.

In semi-related news I've had to physically restrain myself from stepping into a local FB buy/sell discussion in which a dude that already owns a TS9DX was deliberating about whether to buy another guy's TS9 instead because "I've heard it has more mids" :doh: Didn't say anything cause I don't want to rob someone of a sale.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Chrpno posted:

The only boost pedal y'all should be having is the Boss EQ pedal

:agreed: but swap out the op-amps for RC4559P

they're like a dollar and change each and the pedal doesn't hum annoyingly if a band gets near the top of the 18db boost with them instead of whatever the boss factory uses, i forget

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Anime Reference posted:

Stupid music reviewer poo poo rather than stupid music poo poo but jesus christ what kind of colostomy bag writes this inane nonsense.

I was thinking about this the other day, particularly Q magazine in the late 90s and how they would praise some drab offering to the moon and back when no-one else cared. In particular "Let it Come Down" by Spiritualized was heralded as the 5 star second coming of Elvis Lennon Cobain, and disappeared without a trace weeks later. Meanwhile Oasis got 2 stars and called a "misfire" for What's the Story Morning Glory...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I wanna be a gear reviewer.

The shitfucker8999 beafens up your wimpy tone, turning otherwise milquetoast riffs into a ramenesque slew of ghost pepper spicyness.

The mids on the fartdestroyer batter your eardrums with the precision of a tzaziki fueled 5pm subway squeeker.

The TS808 is okay, I guess. Just dime the volume and 0 the drive, no one really knows what the tone knob does so don't touch it. Like the HM2 no one really uses the knobs on these guys so I don't know why there aren't nano sized clones with just a toggle on/off switch.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Chrpno posted:

I was thinking about this the other day, particularly Q magazine in the late 90s and how they would praise some drab offering to the moon and back when no-one else cared. In particular "Let it Come Down" by Spiritualized was heralded as the 5 star second coming of Elvis Lennon Cobain, and disappeared without a trace weeks later. Meanwhile Oasis got 2 stars and called a "misfire" for What's the Story Morning Glory...

I was amusing myself at work by reading Wikipedia articles about My Bloody Valentine albums (the one about Loveless is especially tragicomic, and good God does Kevin Shields sound like the biggest rear end in a top hat in the world) and every review excerpt is this same godawful college-poetry word salad. I get that writing about music is not the most straightforward thing in the world (the old "dancing about architecture" problem) but that doesn't mean you can just write whatever fuckin thing you want.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wanna be a gear reviewer.

Just remember the most important rule: Nothing can ever sound as good as something that was made in the 60s.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Does anyone here own a Precision Drive? I've waffled back and forth on one but every demo I hear sounds like the perfect Boost/OD for fusion and metal playing. Even though I go from despising Periphery to kinda liking them I do have a lot of respect for Misha and everything he gets involved with. The Peavey amp is a bit odd but who the gently caress says no to a signature amp?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Chrpno posted:

"What is this poo poo? The guitars sound like rusty chainsaws, and the singer barks like he wants to be let outside to chase a cat. This band aren't going anywhere and I'll stake my reputation on it" Jeff "Metal Detector" Gilbert on Metallica's Kill 'em All in some '80s issue of Guitar World.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Shugojin posted:

:agreed: but swap out the op-amps for RC4559P

they're like a dollar and change each and the pedal doesn't hum annoyingly if a band gets near the top of the 18db boost with them instead of whatever the boss factory uses, i forget

4559? You mean 4558?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
The 4559 is an "improved" higher spec 4558... Of course, in ~100% of audio uses, there's no noticeable difference between either, unless you're selling to dumbasses bluesdads.

http://www.ti.com/product/RC4559

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Chalupa Joe posted:

The 4559 is an "improved" higher spec 4558... Of course, in ~100% of audio uses, there's no noticeable difference between either, unless you're selling to dumbasses bluesdads.

http://www.ti.com/product/RC4559

Well so is the TL072 but folks blanch at what its supposed higher fidelity does to their Rat. It's weird, every circuit except a Rat or a TS, the op-amp doesn't really matter. Effin Rats tho.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
SHOTS FIRED

E: Beaten by cooler heads. O well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Well so is the TL072 but folks blanch at what its supposed higher fidelity does to their Rat. It's weird, every circuit except a Rat or a TS, the op-amp doesn't really matter. Effin Rats tho.

But a Rat uses a single opamp (LM308), and the TL072 is a dual with a different pinout? The sound of a Rat is partly because the opamp used has a really bad slew rate and poor frequency response compared to more modern chips.

There is some other effect circuit whose name escapes me that the TL072 doesn't work in, but that's because the output of TL07x amps behaves strangely if the input common mode range is exceeded.

Dr. Faustus posted:

SHOTS FIRED

E: Beaten by cooler heads. O well.

I will die on the hill of "It doesn't matter in a Tubescreamer" ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpTv2jAree8

• Locked thread