Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This is pretty much how the Aegis POTATO got blabbed; it was encrypted and posted in the thread, then someone flat out posted the answer in the thread, and CIG reads the thread so welp!

Hey. Dr Smart has cribbed at least one of my posts here for his blog. I was in fact flattered and never complained. And unlike MoMA/Toast, I am a real honest-to-god-and-regretting-every-moment-of-it lawyer. Who is admitted to the SCOTUS. If I say something will be kept confidential, it will be. Period. Even on this stupid dead gay comedy forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Titanic posted:

You're referring to the company that is based off of lies, where the VP and CEO weren't married, then whoops they actually were!

Where the VP has a degree in marketing with a masters thesis entitled "International Marketing", who as a young lady was designing shoes, while also getting a degree in marine biology, and during her classes had her models jump on the table and do a show, while also running that modeling company.

The CEO is so busy not working on his game that when he actually has to play it he has no idea how, and coined the phrases that insinuate backers will never find out about how they've wasted the money.

The same company that spends untold thousands on poo poo tier furniture that looks like it came off of an airplane.

A company based around making a video game that's too priority is making YouTube videos so they can pack their imbd accounts with episodes.

...so yes, yes I can see them spending untold thousands to get some jerkoff on twitch to stream their product 24/7 as much as humanly possible to help it look like the YouTube videos where they lie about features may actually exist because some "big name" streamer is dedicated to it.

Really the only miscalculation that everybody at CIG seems to have done is believe in Chris Roberts and his project estimation skills.

Between streamers hyping and then suddenly not having their expected and very likely promised material, to timed marketing launches featuring parts of the game that don't exist (that shitlemonade webpage, possibly even the recent PCGamer episode), and everybody thinking "this will happen and this time!" And it doesn't.

I'm no marketing expert, but I do know you plan marketing releases far in advance of your product actually being ready. It's all about timing, matching up production estimates with sales and distribution. It's expensive and puts stress on both groups to make sure the timing is perfect.

And comically enough, CIG can't estimate to save their lives, so we see comical "surprise marketing", but it's a loving misfire because they believe in Roberts' estimations. We'll probably see many more of them too. Each time you do, it's some fabricated time where CR was sitting at an office waving his hands and saying "oh yeah, we'll definitely make that deadline!" while none of the programmers are in the room, the game code is burning down around him, and he hasn't played it since December of 2015 or something.

So yes, I believe they pay their streamer bitch quite well, because he's the one marketing guy that will always be positive because he's loving paid to be positive (except for the occasional mental breakdown), and probably one of the few who want fame and money more than just having fun with a game. That's why he'll never be a great streamer though, because he can't have fun.

Yeah.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

I'd advise everyone in this thread not to care enough about MoMA to make some kind of weird serial killer calendar of his actions. But otherwise yeah.

Yes, don't actually do that. It really doesn't matter enough to bother doing any of that for my errant and pointless speculation. Star Citizen is about speculation, so I'm working on getting to level 2.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hey guys, play Star Citizen here: https://testsquadron.com/auroracrash/

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This is pretty much how the Aegis POTATO got blabbed; it was encrypted and posted in the thread, then someone flat out posted the answer in the thread, and CIG reads the thread so welp!

I'd love to see a breakdown of CIG's finances just to learn how much they spent to have someone monitor our shitposting

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Foo Diddley posted:

I'd love to see a breakdown of CIG's finances just to learn how much they spent to have someone monitor our shitposting

155 million dollars

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Flappy Aurora is one of the better things to come out of Start Citizen. Here's a flash game that's essentially the same flight model/controls as Arena Commander though: http://www.silvergames.com/en/space-flash-arena

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

MinorInconvenience posted:

Already memorized.

The only awkward part is trying to figure out how to squeeze in an attribution to you without sounding like an idiot....

Just say you heard it from some British dude

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Foo Diddley posted:

You and me both. The most interesting thing about all of this, to me, in my profession, is to see where all the money went. And what's gonna happen when the whole project collapses. I can't wait! This dumpster fire and Theranos are my two favorite poo poo companies to watch for various reasons.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Looks like someone doesn't understand that a "holo projection" or "hologram" in a game isn't actually a real "holo projection" or "hologram" but rather game graphics made to reasemble a hologram (or have an effect as such) and having it so that it can be viewed from more than one perspective is essentially as difficult as getting two players standing at different locations within the game environment to look at the same in game object. :shrug:

I sometimes forget that citizens often mistake the ideas or assets in a game for real life things with real technological implications or benefits, and then they say the most ridiculously stupid poo poo like that quote and I remember just how utterly gormless and gulible they are, and then I hope they don't have the wherewithall to attempt to procreate with anything except one of their old crusty gym socks. :rant:

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Mr.Tophat posted:

Just say you heard it from some British dude

Done and done!

Although I don't think my married boss appreciated the analogy when I dropped it on him while he was hitting on our blonde teenage waitress at the hotel. Gotta dust off that resume again. Sigh. I can maybe use the client as a reference. poo poo.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Lazrin posted:

truly precognizant

i look forward to hearing what day follows saturday
I dunno, last time I predicted a bunch of stuff sq42 related it turns out making video games is really hard and CIG had to issue an apology video

so who knows! I do look forward to playing 3.0 with ya when it releases

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

XK posted:

So, here's the WTFOSaurus meltdown. Go to 7:08 if it doesn't automatically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlacl84JNVA&t=428s

This is the fate of every star citizen fan on the earth.

I loved this video not for the schadenfreude, but because it was a real, human moment. The bleak, cold emptiness of Chris Robert's Star Citizen.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

D_Smart posted:

All I can say is, I have the ENTIRE scoop on what they're doing with SQ42 for GamesCom. Hint: See "The Worm"

Everyone's getting free tequila? Hell yeah!

CIG pulled it out again.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

MinorInconvenience posted:

Done and done!

Although I don't think my married boss appreciated the analogy when I dropped it on him while he was hitting on our blonde teenage waitress at the hotel. Gotta dust off that resume again. Sigh. I can maybe use the client as a reference. poo poo.

Are you being serious?

Did I just cause a goon to get fired maybe?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Crashed 4 times before I could do anything, time for a refactor

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

So CIG are manically creating fake poo poo to be passed off as SQ42... which movie will they Archer this time?

nvm its Star Wars and Dune again isnt it. Like the only 2 sci fi movies Crobber has ever seen.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Gravity_Storm posted:

So CIG are manically creating fake poo poo to be passed off as SQ42... which movie will they Archer this time?

nvm its Star Wars and Dune again isnt it. Like the only 2 sci fi movies Crobber has ever seen.

So he never watched Wing Commander? Explains a lot

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Gravity_Storm posted:

With all the New Zealand shots and derelict ship talk and rovers, they're aiming at Alien.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

That's... really not that good. I mean the water and the plants look pretty good, but nothing's dirty, nothing's broken, heck nothings even out of place. If it's bright enough for plants to grow and that wet, everything should be covered with mold, moss and algae, things should be rusting and falling apart.

It honestly looks like their artist just took a generic scifi room pasted in some plant models and threw a water layer on the floor... which is probably what they did.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Quavers posted:

I know bugger all about programming, so why is branching bad?

An "if" branch adds "state" to the system, and makes your code tightly coupled. Nested if branches are a big no-no. For one, it's very hard to understand the intention of the code. But more importantly, it adds entropy and chaos to the program as a whole. Let's take that linked code as an example.

code:
if (thing one is true)
   and if (thing two is true)
      and if (thing three is true)
         and if (thing four is true)
            then do something
This one function is dependent on the state of four other parts of the code. These parts may be intuitively unrelated to this part. If any one of those other four parts changes, it could (and provably will) effect this part. This is what I mean by "tightly coupled" code. Basically it adds chaos. So if this pattern becomes widespread, the code becomes extremely resistant to change, because every time you change one thing, it breaks all the other things that depend on it for assessing the state of the machine.

What we don't see is what happens if any one of those things are false. This is probably what the rest of that method looks like:

code:
if (thing one is true) {
   if (thing two is true) {
      if (thing three is true) {
         if (thing four is true) {
             do action 1
         } else {
             do action 2
         }
      } else if (thing five true) {
         do action 3
      } else {
         do action 4
      }
   else {
      do action 5
   }
else if (thing 6 true) {
   do action 6
else {
   do action 7
}
Even in pseudo-code this is obviously a terrible mess. People wonder why CIG take so long and SC has so many bugs. This is why. Their programmers suck.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

SelenicMartian posted:

With all the New Zealand shots and derelict ship talk and rovers, they're aiming at Alien.

Nah, the New Zealand shots mean that they're aiming for a Lord of the Rings vibe.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Nah, the New Zealand shots mean that they're aiming for a Lord of the Rings vibe.
Starring Ben as the Eye.

I wonder if there's a sheep named Star Citizen.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Viscous Soda posted:

That's... really not that good. I mean the water and the plants look pretty good, but nothing's dirty, nothing's broken, heck nothings even out of place. If it's bright enough for plants to grow and that wet, everything should be covered with mold, moss and algae, things should be rusting and falling apart.

It honestly looks like their artist just took a generic scifi room pasted in some plant models and threw a water layer on the floor... which is probably what they did.

I like how the lights are still on after all these years. Nothing says "abandoned" like a big glowing welcome sign

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

quote:

Derek :argh:

Oh look, you found Ben's review!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, it's him. One and the same. He's a special kind of idiot; so there's no confusing him. He is matched only by Cymelion and Redchris8. The other contender to this thrown, obey-the-shaft, has seen been banned on Reddit.

Throne

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Viscous Soda posted:

It's Arcadia from Bioshock.

http://vectorpoem.com/arcadia/

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

Well I already have a WIP article dropping on Aug 22nd. If I spill any beans before then, they will just change gears. Two sources already told me that CIG is monitoring my Twitter feed closely, and they're already freaking out over leaks.

All I can say is, I have the ENTIRE scoop on what they're doing with SQ42 for GamesCom. Hint: See "The Worm"

Stop countering your "not leaking stuff" with hints to poo poo that will absolutely tip off people in the loving business that you admit are already watching your social media oages you loving idiot.

Christ. Hey ive got this super s3cret thing I cant tell you a thing about but heres 6 hints and spoilers as to what it will be!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Viscous Soda posted:

Are we launching an art-FUD department too now? Can't even keep up with all the Star Citizen incompetence.

I generally give CIG a pass on poor art so long as it's not stealing, crappy ship designs also don't do much for me as you can always edit 3D models. What I don't like is CIG passing off 'derelict station' as some sort of design where they encourage backers to imagine a station can fall into disrepair if it starts running out of supplies and workforce.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SelenicMartian posted:

In space, no-one can watch your stream

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Starring Ben as the Eye.

I wonder if there's a sheep named Star Citizen.

Even their sheep have better poo poo to do..

http://i.imgur.com/6E0MO4g.gifv

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

In space, no-one can watch your stream

I'm in the paarp, five by five

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Sometimes I wonder what this project would be like if they had just built their own engine instead of using cryengine

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ramadu posted:

Sometimes I wonder what this project would be like if they had just built their own engine instead of using cryengine

In most cases, that would be worth considering but look at it this way: they can't even make a mod. How would they fare trying to make an entire engine?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They'd be only now discovering portal engines.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Tippis posted:

In most cases, that would be worth considering but look at it this way: they can't even make a mod. How would they fare trying to make an entire engine?

I'm imagining some pretty groundbreaking spaghetti monster men and I think that's good

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ramadu posted:

I'm imagining some pretty groundbreaking spaghetti monster men and I think that's good

Maybe we've been going around this thing all wrong.
Maybe CIG isn't a games development company after all? Maybe they're an advanced study group for advancing the knowledge of black-hole interactions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010