Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Mission: ISS definitely made me sick when I would hurl myself through the ISS. When I went slowly, no problem. I heard enabling 2-handed rotation is a 1-way trip to barf city though.

Ultrawings I've been able to tolerate for as long as 20-30 minutes, but it's also made me extremely queasy within 5 minutes once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

bobfather posted:

Mission: ISS definitely made me sick when I would hurl myself through the ISS. When I went slowly, no problem. I heard enabling 2-handed rotation is a 1-way trip to barf city though.

Ultrawings I've been able to tolerate for as long as 20-30 minutes, but it's also made me extremely queasy within 5 minutes once.

ISS made me pretty sick, yet Echo Arena doesn't at all. I wonder if it has to do with being able to grab and rotate in ISS so your head isn't facing up. In Echo Arena you're always locked to being upright unless you physically bend over.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

ISS made me pretty sick, yet Echo Arena doesn't at all. I wonder if it has to do with being able to grab and rotate in ISS so your head isn't facing up. In Echo Arena you're always locked to being upright unless you physically bend over.

Echo arena doesn't let you tumble at all. Movement by pulling is a well recognized motion technique with little to no sickness. It's mostly the rotation or acceleration you don't expect (by making a motion) that will make people sick.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah.

Kurr. Stop being a goon a min. :-P

I tried both and prefer the vive, no big deal. The rift just doesnt work with my home setup, so i'll just use the rift on trips. I've got a laptop that can run it. For me it'll be the VR equivalent of a madcatz controller :v:

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I tried both and prefer the vive, no big deal. The rift just doesnt work with my home setup, so i'll just use the rift on trips. I've got a laptop that can run it. For me it'll be the VR equivalent of a madcatz controller :v:

I'm offended, the vive is for baby losers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PerrineClostermann posted:

Did anyone here _not_ experience any VR sickness? I don't think I've been hit with it yet and I've not exactly been avoiding it

The only times I've experienced vr "sickness" is when I first was using joystick motion when messing around with VR in Unreal. That was just a weird feeling because I was moving but didn't feel it. I kind of stumbled and felt off balance for a bit and then got used to it. Another time was when I was playing Obduction. I kind of got a headache and felt a bit sick. I think that was because that game just runs so poorly out of VR, that the framerate was killing me in VR. The last time was when I in iracing and already had a headache, so I just felt like poo poo the whole time. Other than that, VR doesn't bother me at all. But I've also been using VR since the DK2 came out and I didn't really play anything that would cause motion sickness. I mostly got it for racing sims. I guess that got me used to VR.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only time I've felt weird was when I was combining smooth rotation with smooth locomotion, and that just made my balance feel a little strange. No lasting sickness or anything.

I haven't had a chance to try some of the titles mentioned though, so I guess I still have a ways to go.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Speaking of things for baby losers, I've setup a modded Vivecraft/Minecraft server using the "All The Mods 2" modpack for anyone interested in playing. Me and an IRL goon friend have been on it, but the more the merrier.

I will usually play on weekends, usually busy during the week.

PM for the deets if interested.

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

I have never experienced VR sickness even from the jankiest VorpX games, but I did fall on my rear end the first time I accelerated forwards in Hover Junkers back in the early days of Vive

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Superhot is loving badass. What a concept (the bullet time thing).

However, in the Steam version i am having a hell of a time getting things to stay in my left hand. Anyone had this happen? I saw a bunch of posts supporting the existence of this, and then one post saying that the Oculus home version does not have this problem.

Anyone know what im talking about?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The giant robot VR game teased at E3, Archangel, finally dropped: http://store.steampowered.com/app/553880/Archangel/

About to jump in, I'll see if it lets you do any of the sweet poses from Pacific Rim.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its unfortunately not on PC yet, but Resident Evil 7 VR is one of the best VR games right now and really highlights the VR sickness issue.

You *can* play the game just like normal, with thumbsticks for turning and moving. This actually makes me somewhat uncomfortable after playing for an hour, although I can make myself do it and its not too bad or anything.

There's another way to play the game though, where you can't smoothly turn at all. If you try to turn using the control stick, it jumps you in increments of 15 degrees or 30 degrees. This sounds bad on paper but in practice it means you do not get nearly as uncomfortable as with smooth movement. They also change the crouch to be a quick teleport instead of a smooth crouch animation, and again, counter-intuitively making things less smooth makes them more comfortable.

The biggest early challenge with VR sickness was tracking accuracy issues in the DK1 and DK2.

Now tracking is getting VERY good, so VR sickness comes from game design and awkward locomotion. Your inner-ear knows if you're moving or not, and the more obvious it is to your brain that you're moving in-game and not moving IRL, the more sick you feel. Doing things like fading to black and teleporting instead of smoothly moving tricks your brain into thinking its still standing still, which matches what it feels.

Songbearer posted:

If it's anything like the DOOM 3 VR mod it'll be worth playing even in the early stages just for the experience, then revisiting it later when they've worked on it more further down the road. D3VR was amazing even in its janky early days but the newest versions with tons of options and the great PDA interface make it feel like a made for VR experience.

Just to be clear, The Doom3 VR mod is a different thing entirely from the earlier Doom 3 VR mod, which was also completely different from the official Doom 3 VR support which was promised and then cancelled and never delivered.

So that's not a case of following the early stages to a later development so much as just a complete better replacement.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 2, 2017

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Whichever version of D3VR teleported you into the air standing at a 45 degree angle, trying to bind the player to the cinematic camera, that's the one that made me motionsick. Actual gameplay was no problem.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, smooth stick turning is the main thing that still makes my brain say NOOOPE instantly. RE7 has the snap toggle, an optional overlay to ground you in your character, and will also constrict your FOV if a scripted event forces the camera to move outside your control (like one time an NPC kicks you off a ladder). I found it very comfortable.

Every game with snap turning I've seen does one snap per control input and you have to release and press again to snap again, but I don't feel uncomfortable rapidly hitting it and snapping a couple of times per second. Sometimes I wonder how fast that can be pushed without triggering motion sickness and if games can be allowed to snap continuously while held down. It might be possible to get close enough that it's effectively smooth turning anyway.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Archangel is admittedly on rails, but punching robots out of the sky and blasting dudes is fun, the story is pretty over the top as well. Maybe some day we'll get a real VR mech sim :(

Also I got the earphones for Rift and they're not bad at all, didn't notice the biggest leap in sound quality but they're nifty.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

haveblue posted:

Yeah, smooth stick turning is the main thing that still makes my brain say NOOOPE instantly. RE7 has the snap toggle, an optional overlay to ground you in your character, and will also constrict your FOV if a scripted event forces the camera to move outside your control (like one time an NPC kicks you off a ladder). I found it very comfortable.

Every game with snap turning I've seen does one snap per control input and you have to release and press again to snap again, but I don't feel uncomfortable rapidly hitting it and snapping a couple of times per second. Sometimes I wonder how fast that can be pushed without triggering motion sickness and if games can be allowed to snap continuously while held down. It might be possible to get close enough that it's effectively smooth turning anyway.

My big complaint about RE7 is sometimes you're turned around and a cinematic starts and you're effectively viewing it backwards, but you don't realize you need to turn around. They need to detect which way you're facing before they start the cutscenes.

But overall its pretty impressive to see how they adapted the game for VR and it is pretty comfortable.

It would be nice if you could double-tap the button and instead of doing two quick snaps it would do one larger snap instead.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

So I have a goon friend who got a Vive. He tried playing Elite but found the map to be completely unusable in vr since it needs a mouse. As a result, he plays Elite on the monitor. How do you guys get around this issue?

I have Elite, but haven't played it yet. I'd like to play it sometime.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 2, 2017

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I've only used the DK2 and the closest I got to motion sickness was my stomach lurching while doing aerobatics in War Thunder.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

iceaim posted:

So I have a goon friend who got a Vive. He tried playing Elite but found the map to be completely unusable in vr. As a result, he plays Elite on the monitor. How do you guys get around this issue?

Yeah the map is pretty awkward in 3D, hell I think the map is awkward even on a monitor. But I dunno, you manage?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

iceaim posted:

So I have a goon friend who got a Vive. He tried playing Elite but found the map to be completely unusable in vr since it needs a mouse. As a result, he plays Elite on the monitor. How do you guys get around this issue?

I play exclusively in VR and manage the galaxy map just fine (after a lot of fiddling with controls). Does he have a HOTAS? I can imagine it would be hard to use with only kb/m.

And yes, you should play Elite. It is a Good Space Game and is a Good VR Experience.

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

iceaim posted:

The galaxy map doesn't need a mouse, you just have to assign map axises to your joystick and assign some buttons to raising and lowering the plane, it definitely takes some getting used to

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bumbler posted:

The galaxy map doesn't need a mouse, you just have to assign map axises to your joystick and assign some buttons to raising and lowering the plane, it definitely takes some getting used to

I use the hat on the stick with a modifier button on the throttle to move the cursor around the plane, use the rocker on the back of the throttle to zoom in and out, a pair of buttons to raise and lower the plane, and use the stick itself to rotate along the plane. I use the hat without the modifier to manipulate the menus, and an Xbox one controller with a qwerty chat pad on it to touch type with for searching.

For the rest of the game I use the 4 buttons on the side of the throttle as modifiers so I have every function I need right on the HOTAS. I only ever use a keyboard for searching the galaxy map.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

iceaim posted:

I just have the joystick bound to x/y rotation of the map, and the mini joystick on the throttle to x/y translation, along with one of the hats doing z axis movement. It works absolutely fine once you bind it and spend a couple minutes getting used to it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mike the TV posted:

And yes, you should play Elite. It is a Good Space Game and is a Good VR Experience.

Did it ever become fun? I'd spend a couple hours doing a trade run and then I have some money but it's not enough to buy a cool ship and then I'd stop playing. I'd never see any other players.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

Did it ever become fun? I'd spend a couple hours doing a trade run and then I have some money but it's not enough to buy a cool ship and then I'd stop playing. I'd never see any other players.

From what I hear, Elite Dangerous is just EVE Online: Carebear Edition.

But if I'm wrong I'd love to hear it.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Freespace 2 vr would be my killer app but I can't imagine how motion sickness inducing the nebula combat would be

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

PerrineClostermann posted:

From what I hear, Elite Dangerous is just EVE Online: Carebear Edition.

But if I'm wrong I'd love to hear it.

That's quite wrong. EVE is a player-driven MMO with lovely MMO combat; Elite has fun dogfighting combat and is almost, but not quite, entirely single player. You are, however, correct that it is for carebears.

Cojawfee posted:

You should have done some missions and/or bounty hunting. This does get boring eventually, but it's better than trading which is immediately boring.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BMan posted:

That's quite wrong. EVE is a player-driven MMO with lovely MMO combat; Elite has fun dogfighting combat and is almost, but not quite, entirely single player. You are, however, correct that it is for carebears.

EVE Carebearing is a single player experience :smug:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Absolutely play The Red Stare if you haven't. It's free and it's a great example of "one very well realised area" design. You'll be surprised by the amount of things you can interact with in your apartment and going about your shady business feels really slick and intuitive. As a proof of concept it's up there with Budget Cuts in the whole "Oh man this needs to be a full blown game, stat" department.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

The players congregate in certain areas, sometimes depending on weekly events going on. If you want to, you can just about never see another person while playing in the Open gamemode by getting away from it all, because space is big. Or you can be a system with a dozen other players at a time fairly regularly.

Like BMan says, you should try bounty hunting. Trading in VR is a snoozefest, to the point where lots of people install a netflix player that becomes a panel in your ship. Blowing up ships, on the other hand, is both fun and good.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Mike the TV posted:

Trading in VR is a snoozefest, to the point where lots of people install a netflix player that becomes a panel in your ship.

This is my preferred way to play Elite :colbert: An afternoon of quality space truckin' and catching up on all my favourite shows.

One time I got up off my spaceseat and went and lay down on the floor of my ship watching my shows on a bigass cinema screen while my headless body piloted to the next destination. That's pretty loving baller.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Why are trade runs taking you hours? I've never had one take more than like 15 minutes and usually they are more like 10. Im doing trade runs while I build out an explorer ship and then will primarily be exploring. It's really chill and fun to drive a space ship.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You definitely need OVRDrop or its predecessor set up if you're gonna play Elite, or Euro Truck Sim

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ammanas posted:

Freespace 2 vr would be my killer app but I can't imagine how motion sickness inducing the nebula combat would be

Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader VR was absolute nightmare fuel but absolutely one of the best things I've ever experienced for sheer "how the gently caress is this possible" amazement

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I mean, you can just watch Netflix, you don't have to do it in VR while also activating the FSD once per minute.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Half the joy of VR is finding incredibly dumb poo poo to do with it and feeling disturbingly proud of yourself the entire time.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Elite Dangerous is ridiculously cool and atmospheric, just boring as poo poo. It's probably the best place to watch Netflix in.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BMan posted:

I mean, you can just watch Netflix, you don't have to do it in VR while also activating the FSD once per minute.
Most stuff that I watch on Netflix + Youtube isn't worth 100% of my attention, so its either look at my phone, play a game on my other monitor, or jack in and fly spaceships for awhile.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

homeless snail posted:

Most stuff that I watch on Netflix + Youtube isn't worth 100% of my attention, so its either look at my phone, play a game on my other monitor, or jack in and fly spaceships for awhile.

Adult onset adhd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Taintrunner posted:

Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader VR was absolute nightmare fuel but absolutely one of the best things I've ever experienced for sheer "how the gently caress is this possible" amazement

How hard was this to set up? Nightmare purely in terms of motion sickness?