Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

who loving cares holy loving poo poo the goddamn hillary retards are pushing this WE MUST SEPARATE poo poo way harder than the trump idiots who they were being insufferably smug about Now, Don't Forget To Lose Gracefully to

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I imagine any given line that goes across the country and not just up and down either coast would look the same

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Shouldn't we be happy that Sol, the Giver of Life, is turning his face away from Trump Territory?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I imagine any given line that goes across the country and not just up and down either coast would look the same
Pretty much.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I keep thinking about the song "Holiday in Cambodia" and how that accurately lampoons early woke liberals.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah that show should have ended with the 90's, with Futurama then picking up that torch.

It's odd because all of the Indians I've met actually -like- Apu. My brother's boss is 2nd generation Indian-America, has a figure of him on his desk, and said he finds him amusing because his father also ran a convenience store for a time. The other anecdote I have is my dad's Indian co-worker calling my dad to "Turn on NBC. They have a show called "OUTSOURCED! and it's hilarious". That very same show btw? Had a lot of people demanding it get cancelled because of Indian stereotypes.

I don't like making that point because it comes from "I HAVE INDIAN FRIENDS" point of view, but it's weird they generally don't care about these sort of things. It reminds me of how Mexican Americans view Speedy Gonzales in some ways. Clearly a mexican stereotype but they don't care, I've seen shirts featuring him worn by Mexican Americans and I've seen him used as a mascot at several mexican/tex-mex restaurants from Ohio to Texas to California to Oklahoma.

I will say that if you're making racist jokes at people's expense or using slurs? You can royally gently caress off. Some of the kindest people I've met have been Hindus. They've been tremendously kind to our family.

I mean even if the voice and profession of Apu is stereotypical. he is also a fully realized character with his own backstory, relationships, and set of morals. that's more that almost any fictional minority character can say on a comedy tv show. He has a phd, is a vegetarian, married to his wife and has kids. he isn't portrayed as a saint but he isn't portrayed as some idiot foreigner either.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A man with a degree in computer science working at a convenience store really resonates with the millennial generation.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Worse than Apu is the Indian guy from Short Circuit, played by a white guy.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
m watching a bcbs ad that's using a garbage song and I want to die

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW6U_wPdSJA

Can esports be a force for world peace?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

MonsieurChoc posted:

Worse than Apu is the Indian guy from Short Circuit, played by a white guy.

that guy went on to win an academy award

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

was he good

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

I hate everything about this

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the plague won an oscar, cool

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Honestly this whole thing just feels like a nation wide fad that's going to crash and burn horribly in the near future. It already kind of has with who's in the White House, but I imagine people as a whole are going to start rejecting this hamfisted stuff in their television programs and via their marketing.

It's not even a "white people" sort of thing. I kinda wonder if people as a whole are going to go "Enough".
i'd argue we're at the saturation point right now. stephen colbert and jimmy kimmel have had their "important" moments while jimmy fallon, once the king of late night, is eating their dust. there are two daily show-likes in addition to the actual daily show. the lion's share of shows that debuted this year on comedy central have leaned heavily into woke comedy. the same critics who told us that watching Ghostbusters 2016 was an act of social goodness did the same song and dance for Wonder Woman, except this time the movie made money

i understand that pop culture trends come in phases but this one is seemingly going on forever
my problem isn't with the concept but with the potential framing of this show as a woke counterweight to the evil Confederacy by HBO. not a single scene has leaked from either show, although they're both headed by very competent showrunners, but those are minor details because we all gotta be angry about what's on the tv looky box

Crowsbeak posted:

I mean I like to think HP got me into furhter fantasy, but seriously can't these dumb asses find anything else to reference?
no. to a small but select and overwhelmingly elite group of idiots, harry potter is the bible, and it can be interpreted in ways that conform to all that is good and right with their worldview. it's just like how evangelicals use the actual bible

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

i'd argue we're at the saturation point right now. stephen colbert and jimmy kimmel have had their "important" moments while jimmy fallon, once the king of late night, is eating their dust. there are two daily show-likes in addition to the actual daily show. the lion's share of shows that debuted this year on comedy central have leaned heavily into woke comedy. the same critics who told us that watching Ghostbusters 2016 was an act of social goodness did the same song and dance for Wonder Woman, except this time the movie made money

The only perhaps realistic phenomenon that's comparable is how the country went full :911: after, well, 9/11.

I can't recall the exact moment where people as a whole rejected Bush-era jignostic nationalism, but I imagine it probably came after Hurricane Katrina or so.

I'm trying to figure out when the "woke" phenomena started, but I think it dates back to BLM becoming a large movement, which itself sprouted out of OWS if the articles I've come across are to be believed.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dreddout posted:

I hate everything about this

Extra Credits is the most puerile thing I've ever seen. They claim to be educational, informative, and entertaining and they never reach the goal of even being one of those things.

"Let's describe a concept, then show you a couple basic examples of that concept. Let's ask a bunch of questions that might have interesting answers if we actually wanted to dive into this concept beyond a surface level. Aren't those neat sounding questions? Sure would be great if we had answers for them! See ya next week!"

All while speeding up the main dude's voice because...I really don't know why.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

The_Rob posted:

I mean even if the voice and profession of Apu is stereotypical. he is also a fully realized character with his own backstory, relationships, and set of morals. that's more that almost any fictional minority character can say on a comedy tv show. He has a phd, is a vegetarian, married to his wife and has kids. he isn't portrayed as a saint but he isn't portrayed as some idiot foreigner either.

he's also a ladies man which is pretty much unheard of for portrayals of asian people

Whorelord has issued a correction as of 12:27 on Aug 3, 2017

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

WampaLord posted:

It reminds me of the Spirit Science videos in both in terms of voice and animation production values and their idealism and lack of grounding in reality. The only difference is Spirit Science can actually be useful if you deal with New Age types on a regular basis and want a primer on their bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6pYAiRqhio

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Whorelord posted:

he's also a ladies man which is pretty much unheard of for portrayals of asian people

Hell, he gets more legitimate characterisation and development than practically anyone I can think of on the show.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Extra Credits is the most puerile thing I've ever seen. They claim to be educational, informative, and entertaining and they never reach the goal of even being one of those things.

"Let's describe a concept, then show you a couple basic examples of that concept. Let's ask a bunch of questions that might have interesting answers if we actually wanted to dive into this concept beyond a surface level. Aren't those neat sounding questions? Sure would be great if we had answers for them! See ya next week!"

are you sure you aren't talking about Radiolab

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WampaLord posted:

They try to be the edutainment Zero Punctuation.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

are you sure *gameshow riff* you aren't talking about Radiolab *lightbulb click*

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Hell, he gets more legitimate characterisation and development than practically anyone I can think of on the show.

and when he cheated on his wife they actually handled it in a pretty nuanced way. they don't end up breaking up. they stay together and decide to work on their relationship. if anything Homer is the perfect example of white privilege. He is overweight, stupid, a bigot at times and yet he fails upwards at every moment. it's like grimes said. if this were any other country you would have starved to death a long time ago.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The_Rob posted:

if anything Homer is the perfect example of white privilege. He is overweight, stupid, a bigot at times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMkFlnpZO_w

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I'd pay money to just let Nick to nothing but alt right homer.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
tbf legit teen homer would've said the n word a lot in the 70s and probably once in awhile after getting married and having kids

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

LOL

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

There was a good segment by the Chap guys about how they would love to see Trump rip on Hamilton...to the point they'd give him money to do that.

Man...I wish he'd do it to Harry Potter and Game of Thrones. It would probably cause twitter to crash from all these shithead libs pearl clutching over it.

e: gently caress. I wish there was a way we could egg him on to do it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lol. That's a poo poo example. Red wedding example fits more with say 2016 election. Not the trump white house. If you're going to compare stuff to fictional stuff do it right.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

There was a good segment by the Chap guys about how they would love to see Trump rip on Hamilton...to the point they'd give him money to do that.

Man...I wish he'd do it to Harry Potter and Game of Thrones. It would probably cause twitter to crash from all these shithead libs pearl clutching over it.

This is weird and gross and you're weird and gross for wanting it. I'm not even defending those things, but you sounds like a MAGA chode "Heh, go get em, Daddy Trump, drop sick owns on those things I don't like!"

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

WampaLord posted:

This is weird and gross and you're weird and gross for wanting it. I'm not even defending those things, but you sounds like a MAGA chode "Heh, go get em, Daddy Trump, drop sick owns on those things I don't like!"

no, its more like a third party trying to trick two idiots into a fight, so the instigator can watch from the sidelines

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Same. I love thrones and Star Wars(love Star Wars enough to make it a make a wish.) and I find the woke poo poo eye rolling on a ton of levels. It feels out of touch and pathetic and substituted for real historical and political stuff. And second as a fan because most of the comparisons are retarded and sound and make it sound like said idiot never actually saw/read/played the material.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

got any sevens posted:

no, its more like a third party trying to trick two idiots into a fight, so the instigator can watch from the sidelines

That's pretty much it.

I mean these people had a meltdown over the statue of liberty last night. Hey turns out the US has had a history of racist immigration policies! Who knew? But apparently that has never happened before and Trump is a new phenomena.

(Doesn't make it -right- btw)

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Same. I love thrones and Star Wars(love Star Wars enough to make it a make a wish.) and I find the woke poo poo eye rolling on a ton of levels. It feels out of touch and pathetic and substituted for real historical and political stuff. And second as a fan because most of the comparisons are retarded and sound and make it sound like said idiot never actually saw/read/played the material.

I'm a goon and I've been around actual nerds all my life. I know how nerds/goons act.

These people are like cosplaying as nerds and it's getting old. They're not "nerds", they're yuppies.

I don't have a problem with the Harry Potter series, GOT, what ever the gently caress. Same with anything deemed as "Nerdy" in fact I enjoy those things. But the upper class aristocratic/bourgeoisie adoption of those is driving me insane.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm a goon and I've been around actual nerds all my life. I know how nerds/goons act.

These people are like cosplaying as nerds and it's getting old. They're not "nerds", they're yuppies.

I don't have a problem with the Harry Potter series, GOT, what ever the gently caress. Same with anything deemed as "Nerdy" in fact I enjoy those things. But the upper class aristocratic/bourgeoisie adoption of those is driving me insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9Jbz4c_WKA

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

super sweet best pal posted:

The only difference is Spirit Science can actually be useful if you deal with New Age types on a regular basis and want a primer on their bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6pYAiRqhio

Nah New Agers don't have definite concrete beliefs. You can't get a primer on nonsense because they just talk past each other in their own community

FuzzySkinner posted:

I mean these people had a meltdown over the statue of liberty last night. Hey turns out the US has had a history of racist immigration policies! Who knew? But apparently that has never happened before and Trump is a new phenomena.

Lol what, I missed this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures