Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anakha
Sep 16, 2009

kingcom posted:

You're only way out is with bad battletech fiction reviews.

Volunteering By Blood Betrayed as PTN's next review effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

kingcom posted:

You're only way out is with bad battletech fiction reviews.

Interesting, interesting. Let me just climb out of my `Mech so we can discuss it.

Octatonic posted:

I really like that Mad Dog, PTN! Is lime green a falcons thing?

In this case, it's a "badly animated cartoon" thing. Although the Falcons do have a thing for green, bone, and yellow.

You can learn a lot on Camospecs! For example:
- Roughly 1/3rd of the AFFS is green.
- The most common color in the DCMS is white. Find me a red DCMS regiment and you've found the Sword of Light!
- The FWLM's most common colors are white and green
- The Lyrans really, really love painting checkerboards on everything.
- The only nation that have made Ice Camo their parade colors are the Ice Hellions. Even the Ghost Bears and FRR don't bother.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 3, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I always really liked Maulers even though none of the stock loadouts are worth a drat.

PYF bastard OP tech and derpfest Maulers ITT:

code:
Mauler MAL-C

Mass: 90 tons
Tech Base: Mixed
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: All Eras (non-canon)
Tech Rating/Era Availability: X/X-X-X-A
Production Year: 0
Cost: 26,011,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,231

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 270 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 32.4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 54.0 km/h (64.8 km/h)
Jump Jets: None
    Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Standard Armor
Armament:
    2  (CL) LRM-15s w/ Artemis IV FCS
    2  (IS) Snub-Nose PPCs
    4  (IS) Light AC/2s
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

Additional: 

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                   138 points                4.50
    Internal Locations: 1 CT, 3 LA, 3 RA
Engine:             XL Engine                    270                       7.50
    Walking MP: 3
    Running MP: 5 (6)
    Jumping MP: 0 
Heat Sinks:         (CL) Double Heat Sink        16(32)                    6.00
    Heat Sink Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT, 1 LA, 1 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL
Gyro:               (A) Standard                                           5.00
Cockpit:            (A) Standard                                           4.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA    R: SH+UA+LA
Armor:              Standard Armor               AV - 272                 17.00
    CASE Locations: LT, RT, LA, RA                                         0.00

Internal       Armor      
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     29           44        
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  11        
                                           L/R Torso     19           28        
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  10        
                                             L/R Arm     15           29        
                                             L/R Leg     19           37        

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Supercharger                                 CT        -         1         1.00
(CL) LRM-15                                  RT        5         2         3.50
    Artemis IV FCS                           RT        -         1         1.00
2 (IS) Light AC/2s                           RT        2         2         8.00
(CL) LRM-15                                  LT        5         2         3.50
    Artemis IV FCS                           LT        -         1         1.00
2 (IS) Light AC/2s                           LT        2         2         8.00
(IS) Snub-Nose PPC                           RA        10        2         6.00
(IS) Snub-Nose PPC                           LA        10        2         6.00
@LAC/2 (AP) (22)                             RT        -         1         1.00
@LAC/2 (Precision) (22)                      RT        -         1         1.00
@LAC/2 (AP) (22)                             LT        -         1         1.00
@LAC/2 (Precision) (22)                      LT        -         1         1.00
@LRM-15 (Art-V) (16)                         RA        -         2         2.00
@LRM-15 (Art-V) (16)                         LA        -         2         2.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 3

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      9    Points: 22
4          6       5       4       0      4     0   Structure:  5
Special Abilities: CASE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA, IF 2

Mixed tech because I am a munchkin, Snub nose PPC arms, because I love snubbies, Light AC2s because stock ones are useless and I like being able to plink with a choice of AP ammo for critseeking or Precision to help plug cheeky lights or jumpers, and then keeping the LRM15s but adding Artemis. Also slapping on a Supercharger, armored gyro, and an armored cockpit for good measure.
Enough sinks to fire both PPCs and both LRMs every turn while staying neutral, or to fire everything twice while standing still before hitting +4.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 3, 2017

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Jew it to it! posted:

I am contacting the other two members of the northern lance via PM as well, to coordinate.

For the Battlemaster I think my best option is to move to 1017, unload short range weapons on the Epona plus Melee, PPCs on the Stone Rhino.

What I think may be best for the Sagittarius is to move to 0918, facing 1017 and unload everything on the Stone Rhino.

For the Hatamoto-Chi it's a little trickier, advance to 0816 or 0817, unload short range on the Epona and long range on one of the mechs to the south.

Lastly, the Mauler is in a tough spot. He is unfortunately a dead man walking unless the dice roll in his favor. If he moves to 0810 he can unload on the Stone Rhino and help us move south.

Thoughts?

Those seem pretty reasonable, with the caveat that the proposed Mauler move is short 1 MP unfortunately. It would actually be a really good spot if he could get there since the big fuel tank thing would block LOS from the Balius too.

An alternate Battlemaster play would be to run to 0919, which would forgo the melee on the tank, but would give you flexibility to maybe duck behind that big height 17 building if necessarey next turn. Also keeps your move mod just a bit higher.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

No, don't.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Gwaihir posted:

Is '8 AC/2's and tons of ammo' acceptable? Because nothing says supergiant machine gun like a giant machine with a bunch of guns.

If you say no I'm just gonna say '8 AC/5's with not anywhere near enough ammo' next.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

I always really liked Maulers even though none of the stock loadouts are worth a drat.

Mixed tech because I am a munchkin, Snub nose PPC arms, because I love snubbies, Light AC2s because stock ones are useless and I like being able to plink with a choice of AP ammo for critseeking or Precision to help plug cheeky lights or jumpers, and then keeping the LRM15s but adding Artemis. Also slapping on a Supercharger, armored gyro, and an armored cockpit for good measure.
Enough sinks to fire both PPCs and both LRMs every turn while staying neutral, or to fire everything twice while standing still before hitting +4.

I actually think a decent MML refit of the Mauler could be scary. MMLs are great on assaults because they're not efficient, but they let you switch from LRMs to SRMs fairly easily, which is great when your enemy is going to be the one dictating the range. 4 MML-7s is 18 tons and 16 crits compared to the 14 tons and 6 crits of the LRM-15s, but you can probably find a way to free up the relevant tons and crits by loving with the ballistics and IS/engine. 24 tons of friggin AC/2s is kind of awful.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

- The Lyrans really, really love painting checkerboards on everything.

I feel like that's a central European thing? When I see checkerboard patterns it's usually on dudes like the Polish or Prussians.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

The Mauler-3R is actually kind of nice. Ditch the ACs and ERLLs for 2 LB/10x, add jump jets and a c3 slave. It's not super great on its own, but as a secondary c3 fire support platform it's pretty boss.

...also, anything with 2 LB/10x is generally good.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

PoptartsNinja posted:

Interesting, interesting. Let me just climb out of my `Mech so we can discuss it.

Next episode of BattleTech Annotated when

Also found that Brickcommander has a Mauler design, tempted to build me another Lego robot. If it goes down in a blaze of glory, probably guaranteed I'll work on it

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paingod556 posted:

Next episode of BattleTech Annotated when

Sadly, YouTube Annotations are no longer a thing.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Oookkk :smith:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Fraction Jackson posted:

Also people should lay off CV. He's being maybe more cautious than I would be but this is a little over the top IMO.

Xarbala posted:

Don't be discouraged CourValant . . .

Thanks for the words of support.

I really don't think taking on the Stone Rhino is the dominate strategy; my instinct is for the Battlemaster and 'Hata' to continue South, while I start stalking the Stone Rhino with LOS games.

If the 'Sag' goes to 0617 this turn, then next turn I can run to 1120, and be in good position to have that knife fight with the Stone Rhino, especially if the Battlemaster and 'Hata' keeps heading south to complete the primary.

That being said, if the Battlemaster and 'Hata' wants to have this fight now, 'Sag' will back you up; I would rather we don't fight around the growing oil slick though.

For the record, I don't have an issue getting 'Stuck In', I just don't think that moment has arrived yet. Approaching the Stone Rhino from the front arc, when none of us 'have to', doesn't seem like a prudent course of action (bold or otherwise).

PoptartsNinja posted:

Have to admit, your fiction reviews have always been a great read!

MJ12 posted:

. . . MMLs are great on assaults because they're not efficient, but they let you switch from LRMs to SRMs fairly easily, which is great when your enemy is going to be the one dictating the range . . .

MML-7s are another personal favorite of mine; like to combine it with heavy and or snub nose PPCs for all around capability.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Octatonic posted:

Luthien, the black pearl, where empires and emperors, and goons go to die, like Indochina before her

Isn't that Afghanistan?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Isn't that Afghanistan?

Yeah, that works too, but IDK who has the West Asia gimmick in battletech. The point is, never get involved in a land war on Luthien.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Octatonic posted:

Yeah, that works too, but IDK who has the West Asia gimmick in battletech. The point is, never get involved in a land war on Luthien.

I'm gonna say Hesperus II; 17 battles and counting.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hesperus#The_Battles_for_Hesperus_II

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Octatonic posted:

The Arkab Legions in the Draconis Combine (or Draconis Suns, I guess) are recognizably Arab (or at least Muslim), but Afghan is not Arab.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

CourValant posted:

For the record, I don't have an issue getting 'Stuck In', I just don't think that moment has arrived yet. Approaching the Stone Rhino from the front arc, when none of us 'have to', doesn't seem like a prudent course of action (bold or otherwise).

I mean, it'll have 8s and 9s if it targets you and you jump, and you will have 8s all around I think with pulse, if you're at 5/6 hexes distance. So you will probably get dinged but not too badly. If you end facing towards it you can run into close range for basically everything next turn, depending on what the Stone Rhino does, and have a pretty huge to-hit advantage.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

They just take up too much space. Use Pastebin links instead!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Octatonic posted:

Yeah, that works too, but IDK who has the West Asia gimmick in battletech.

Free Worlds League.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PoptartsNinja posted:

Free Worlds League.

Also Balkans. Really it's that whole Eastern Bloc thing going on except the Russians are in the Liao part of the Sphere.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CourValant posted:

I'm gonna say Hesperus II; 17 battles and counting.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hesperus#The_Battles_for_Hesperus_II

The difference between Hesperus II and Afghanistan is that Hesperus is the end goal, the richest prize in space. People get into fights in Afghanistan because it's between them and what they actually want. Honestly if there was anything worthwhile in Afghanistan, armies probably would have been able to conquer it at some point because they wouldn't have withered on the vine.

Space Afghanistan is going to be somewhere with extremely poor natural resources but immense strategic importance. Fortunately, by 3130 there's a whole stretch of the FS-DC border called "The disputed territories" that fits the bill.

e: Confused the disputed border worlds with The Barrens

e2: The Taurians could also be Space Afghanistan, but they're not in a strategically useful position.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 3, 2017

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Fraction Jackson posted:

The Mauler-3R is actually kind of nice. Ditch the ACs and ERLLs for 2 LB/10x, add jump jets and a c3 slave. It's not super great on its own, but as a secondary c3 fire support platform it's pretty boss.

...also, anything with 2 LB/10x is generally good.

My ideal Mauler would probably be like, 2 LB-10s, 4 MML-7s, and 4 medium lasers or someshit. I think you could probably fit those on the Mauler? In fact, this is actually a significantly lighter weapons payload than the actual design, but crit-heavier.

The 4 MML-7s weigh 4 tons more than the LRM-15s, but the LB-10s weigh a ton less each compared to 2 AC/2s, and you save 3 tons by switching to paired medium lasers rather than single ER Larges.

You'd have to reverse the normal Mauler config of having big energy guns in the arms and small ballistics in the torso, but it'd still be visibly a Mauler so I think it counts as a theoretical variant.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Defiance Industries posted:

. . . Fortunately, by 3130 there's a whole stretch of the FS-DC border called "The disputed territories" that fits the bill.

Speaking of which, when is that ilClan book coming out anyways?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CourValant posted:

Speaking of which, when is that ilClan book coming out anyways?

This is a company where the Second Succession War book sat in Randall's computer for months because he couldn't be bothered to put it online. Now imagine how much progress they make on a book that's essentially a full reboot.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

quote:

Chance for Motive System Damage: rolled 3, no damage sustained!

It's not possible for a hover to roll a 3 on the cfmsd table, much less one being shot from a side arc. Natural 3 would be 8 on the table, -1 move and +2 on psrs. Or are you not applying all the "this ain't hovertankwarrior" mods.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 3, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

This is a company where the Second Succession War book sat in Randall's computer for months because he couldn't be bothered to put it online. Now imagine how much progress they make on a book that's essentially a full reboot.

. . . I wanna see the Jade Turkeys finally get put down though, Mongol Doctrine and all.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's a couple hints towards it in the 2SW book. I wouldn't put it past them to chicken out and just make it a setting book instead of a full overhaul of equipment. It'll be 3250 and everyone will still be using AC/10s, invented 900 years ago.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

It's not possible for a hover to roll a 3 on the cfmsd table, much less one being shot from a side arc. Natural 3 would be 8 on the table, -1 move and +2 on psrs. Or are you not applying all the "this ain't hovertankwarrior" mods.

They're already deathtraps and most of the really dangerous things hovercraft can do have been removed. I don't see how tires and treads should be less vulnerable and the motive system table is already crippling enough. A 50% chance to be outright immobilized is insanity.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Shoot the Stone Rhino!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

The difference between Hesperus II and Afghanistan is that Hesperus is the end goal, the richest prize in space. People get into fights in Afghanistan because it's between them and what they actually want. Honestly if there was anything worthwhile in Afghanistan, armies probably would have been able to conquer it at some point because they wouldn't have withered on the vine.

Space Afghanistan is going to be somewhere with extremely poor natural resources but immense strategic importance. Fortunately, by 3130 there's a whole stretch of the FS-DC border called "The disputed territories" that fits the bill.

e: Confused the disputed border worlds with The Barrens

e2: The Taurians could also be Space Afghanistan, but they're not in a strategically useful position.

This has been true for most of history for Afghanistan, but I seem to remember deposits of rare earth metals being found up there, so it's now going to be prime real estate.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Harmony Gold also has the lawyers out, again, so they might be waiting with any material until that's resolved, again. This time they're even claiming the Atlas infringes, because it's so broad they're saying "we own the concept of bipedal combat mechs".

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Are you even playing in this match?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Not sorry enough to stop, though, I can't help but notice.

I probably should be more tolerant but it's not happening today.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

KnoxZone posted:

Mauler has no torso twist so it wouldn't be able to bring its full firepower to bear.

I'm so used to all mechs except the Nova having torso twist. Yeah then I dunno, there's no optimal moves for the Mauler. Hopefully he gets another go at this because this sucks.

For the sake of increasing longevity on the field, back up 3 anyway and just shoot the balius. Next turn, depending on what the Gargoyle does, try to get shots on it instead in the hopes of killing the leg.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 3, 2017

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
South Group

We need to show ourselves this time to at least two enemies and focus on one, I think, and I don't have too much a choice. My immediate thought is that we try to focus down that Glass Spider that didn't move. There's a zone of hexes that both our assault and I can get to that has LOS on the spider while denying LOS to the HO; there is no hex I can reach that has LOS on the HO without giving LOS to the Spider. The hunchback is in slightly less cromulent positioning, as it is all or nothing for you on LOS to those three mechs in the east. It might be worth it for me to walk to 0434, our assault to run to somewhere like 0633, and have both of us focus the Spider while the hunchback continues to hide; that would likely see the HO and summoner continue to hit the buildings, but we are still at the point where it is better them than us. Summoner could be distracted by having the hunchback back up to 0834, but it would not be able to shoot its autocannon due to facing and I hate giving up free shots for that.

Alternate option: I walk to 0131 and have only LOS on the Summoner, while you two cram into 0834 and 0835; that way we all three have LOS on the summoner and only on the summoner, but with worse move modes and to hits and with three enemies likely to hit buildings. I think that is somewhat less a great idea.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mukaikubo posted:

South Group

We need to show ourselves this time to at least two enemies and focus on one, I think, and I don't have too much a choice. My immediate thought is that we try to focus down that Glass Spider that didn't move. There's a zone of hexes that both our assault and I can get to that has LOS on the spider while denying LOS to the HO; there is no hex I can reach that has LOS on the HO without giving LOS to the Spider. The hunchback is in slightly less cromulent positioning, as it is all or nothing for you on LOS to those three mechs in the east. It might be worth it for me to walk to 0434, our assault to run to somewhere like 0633, and have both of us focus the Spider while the hunchback continues to hide; that would likely see the HO and summoner continue to hit the buildings, but we are still at the point where it is better them than us. Summoner could be distracted by having the hunchback back up to 0834, but it would not be able to shoot its autocannon due to facing and I hate giving up free shots for that.

Alternate option: I walk to 0131 and have only LOS on the Summoner, while you two cram into 0834 and 0835; that way we all three have LOS on the summoner and only on the summoner, but with worse move modes and to hits and with three enemies likely to hit buildings. I think that is somewhat less a great idea.

If you can hurt the Glass Spider it would be a good thing. If you can make it fall, that's a even better thing.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

The atmosphere here was fine while Viva was on probation. CourValant is not SD and has done nothing wrong either out of game (which is what really matters, and what was mostly the problem with SD) or even in-game, he's done well.

For example a lot of us pushed quite hard about moving south, including the artist with the helpful wall of text, but it was all civil unlike the many insults Viva has been parceling out. (Some of us were a bit too pushy, but I really can't remember anyone else being insulting.)

I'm going to take the ignore advice, and I think CV and other players on this map might want to as well.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 3, 2017

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

lol

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I need to distract people.

I wish my lightbox hadn't broken so I didn't have to use the flash

Edit: Have some WIP "VIPs" while I'm at it.

cool minis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Mukaikubo posted:

South Group

Yeah, I am a fan of engaging the Glass Spider this turn. It has been sitting comfy in its little trench for long enough. As for the Hunchback, it is a bit risky, but I think it could move into the forest at 1435 and engage. It will be out of LoS on the Summoner, inside minimum range on the Otoko, the Spider will probably shoot one of us, and the Epona will probably have an easier target to the north.

• Locked thread