Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Interesting theory about Daenerys = Azor Azhai

The gist of it is that Daenarys losing a naval battle/her naval commander and attacking Casterly Rock (whose house is a symbol of a lion) parallels Azor Ahai's first two attempts to temper his sword: first in water and then in the heart of a Lion.

It could be that Daenarys ends up losing what she truly loves and wants: the Throne, in order to beat the White Walkers.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

DoctorGonzo posted:

i started the first book and it was poo poo, i read american gods and the witcher saga instead

lamo

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Away all Goats posted:

The gist of it is that Daenarys losing a naval battle/her naval commander and attacking Casterly Rock (whose house is a symbol of a lion) parallels Azor Ahai's first two attempts to temper his sword: first in water and then in the heart of a Lion.

It could be that Daenarys ends up losing what she truly loves and wants: the Throne, in order to beat the White Walkers.

No way is this show that clever.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gurm is that clever though, and if those are the notes he gave D&D then this is just like the rest of the writing they do to "check of boxes."

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
This is more in line with D&D's writing skills

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Was Azor Ahai's story even told on the show? I think Mel maybe mentioned his name once or twice, and obviously we've heard "the prince who was promised" every now and then, but that's it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

Or a dragon, like the one that's gonna getting killed by the Night's King.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Another hilarious thing I noticed while rereading the spoilers: Jorah is not only friendzoned again but he learns that he was fatherzoned too. And both times to Jon Snow.

Being Jorah sucks.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Another hilarious thing I noticed while rereading the spoilers: Jorah is not only friendzoned again but he learns that he was fatherzoned too. And both times to Jon Snow.

Being Jorah sucks.

There is a reason his official title is the knight of friendzone

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Shwqa posted:

There is a reason his official title is the knight of friendzone

Jorah Mormont, Thrice-shat-upon honorable knight, Warden of the Frendzone

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Away all Goats posted:

This sounds like that retarded Arya Durden poo poo from last season

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Taear posted:

I know it's been said before but I really blame the show for him not finishing the books. Not because it's taking up his time but because he's now terrified of it not being good enough. Especially after what happened with Feast/Dance.
He had that huge timegap planned out and then it didn't work. And now the books aren't quite working and the show has gone past that bit as well and he just doesn't know how to do it and for it to work.

It's a shame that his book series that I started in loving 1997 is going to end in stupid fanfiction.

Then he should get himself a good co-author (ie not Rothfuss), who takes his ideas and writes them into a good story. Polish it together and make it a better story for it. Sure collaborations are super hard, but if he wants something like a legacy outside of "the guy who wrote the screenplay of GoT" he should look into it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

So Jaime's marching an entire army through the Reach for however many days or weeks it takes and is assuredly seen by countless people who would have spread the word and Olenna would have had plenty of warning but she couldn't muster up any kind of defense at all? Even a skeleton crew to man the ramparts?

God this show is garbage.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
You are late to the party. The thread has already come to terms with the fact that this season everyone and their army/navy will be varysporting everywhere without a moment's notice while the other party fails to see them coming till they are literally sitting on the table with them asking for second servings

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Away all Goats posted:

First of all, the show is not that clever, not by a long shot. They don't even mention Azor Ahai and have reduced the intrigue of the PtwP prophecy to the translation mistake.
Second, Azor Ahai's sacrifices were done willingly and not because he listened to his most incompetent advisors, therefore they are very different from Danny's screw ups.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

GaussianCopula posted:

First of all, the show is not that clever, not by a long shot. They don't even mention Azor Ahai and have reduced the intrigue of the PtwP prophecy to the translation mistake.
Second, Azor Ahai's sacrifices were done willingly and not because he listened to his most incompetent advisors, therefore they are very different from Danny's screw ups.

Seconding this.

And even if the show was that clever the show doesn't trust it's audience being clever and would have had to literally cut after each of those scenes into a face close up of a character randomly expositioning that exact same passage of Azhor Azhai's legend.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 3, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I support a spinoff that is just Bran creepily going up to characters and being like "hey...hey...I saw you gently caress."
Have it end with him finally getting to Jaime and Cersei and revealing he remembers that very first time he witnessed loving. It's kind of a core character feature now that I think about it, bran the accidental and then intentional voyeur
Bran Stark is...the westerosi gently caress police, and he thinks you're beautiful you're all beautiful ladies & gentlemen

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I know it was done for exposition purpose like every dialogue in this season so far but man was Cersei asking Qyburn how long does the poison take to work after giving a long rear end rant about revenge really stupid. That is the kind of information you would want to know before going full ham.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I assumed that was for Sand Snake Mama's sake

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I assumed that was for Sand Snake Mama's sake

I'd assume that the lady who was married to poison expert guy, had three poison expert daughters and used that very same poison to kill Cersei's daughter would know that information.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Completely irrelevant. Cersei is going to say whatever she can to draw that poo poo out. Imagine a prison guard loving with an inmate by saying "How much left on your sentence? Oh right, 10 more years. 3650 days. Oh poo poo, I forgot about leap years, it's actually 3652 days. drat that's a long rear end time!"

The prisoner knows his sentence already, just as Mama Snake knows the poison's effects. Doesn't make it any less effective as a taunt.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also Dany already willingly killed her lover and brought forth three dragons, which for all intents and purposes could be Lightbringer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

regulargonzalez posted:

So Jaime's marching an entire army through the Reach for however many days or weeks it takes and is assuredly seen by countless people who would have spread the word and Olenna would have had plenty of warning but she couldn't muster up any kind of defense at all? Even a skeleton crew to man the ramparts?

God this show is garbage.

Also not to bring up the specter of map chat again, but Casterly Rock is actually ~200 miles closer to KL than Highgarden is, and unlike Jamie the Unsullied aren't weighed down with dozens of wagons of loot. Grey Worm should really be able to head off Jamie's party with time to spare.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Old lady Tyrell just kinda mea culpa'd that whole scene by saying the Tyrell's sucked in battle so the Lannister army headed up by Sam's dad just walked all over them.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

If only Renly's ghost was there to help them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

JaySB posted:

Old lady Tyrell just kinda mea culpa'd that whole scene by saying the Tyrell's sucked in battle so the Lannister army headed up by Sam's dad just walked all over them.

Mmm yes. The Tyrell's, the house of Loras, The Knight of Flowers, one of the greatest knights of the realm in his time. Truly a house terrible at fighting.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The answer for everything in this show is: a screenwriter did it.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It wasn't a battle. The Tyrell forces didn't ride out to meet the lannister/Tarly army. It was a siege. Well, I think so. They didn't show it. All over in an afternoon. Almost every siege in history involved surrounding the fortress and waiting. Storming the battlements is very bad idea.

Whoever said Tarly should have been defending then opened the gate was correct. That would make narrative sense. Alas....

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

Away all Goats posted:

Change Throne to Jon Snow and it might just be dumb enough for this show

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008
In the next season the writers take the complaints about tactical realism to heart and Dany discovers that her dragons are too big to take flight.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

skasion posted:

I don't agree. The show (and concomitant financial success) definitely didn't help, and the fact that they beat him to the punch makes me doubt he will ever finish, but he was already running out of steam after Storm. The entirety of the first three books were published in a shorter interval than the gap between Storm and Feast. He has himself to blame, he bit off more than he could chew.

The first three came out because he had them planned out.
Then he was going to have his multi year gap in the story but realised it didn't work. Like I mentioned in my post, that's what's caused it at the start.

And now he's paralysed with it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Collateral posted:

It wasn't a battle. The Tyrell forces didn't ride out to meet the lannister/Tarly army. It was a siege. Well, I think so. They didn't show it. All over in an afternoon. Almost every siege in history involved surrounding the fortress and waiting. Storming the battlements is very bad idea.

Whoever said Tarly should have been defending then opened the gate was correct. That would make narrative sense. Alas....

This would have been directly after an episode where Randall Tarly said that the Tarlys don't stab people in the back.

Th3D0Nn
Jul 22, 2015

Rotacixe posted:

In the next season the writers take the complaints about tactical realism to heart and Dany discovers that her dragons are too big to take flight.

Its less tactical realism for me, than it is that they conveniently forget it when it helps level the battlefield. Like people said, supplies and time mattered for Stannis, and during Robb's war. Now it doesn't and for people to come up with timelines on how Euron could make it around to both those battles is fine, but ignores the fact that he is going in and out of a bay that by all means Dany should control, and not even have to commit resources to, she has 3 dragons that patrol the area in Euron's 4 trips into or out of the bay he should have ran into one or more of the Dragons. But that doesn't matter in the context of the show, because the writers established a board state where Cersei was alone in a throne room with no one pledged to her, a giant debt and just murdered the leader of the common folk, who for multiple seasons pretty much hated Lannisters. Its about a narrative having some internal consistency. Oleana had allies, Jamie's army had to traverse hostile territory then lay siege to a castle. What would have prevented Grey Worm from just following Jamie's Army and pinning them between a Castle and the Unsullied who are supposed to be unmatched in the field. Or Dothraki from racing across the continent to ambush the foot soldiers before they get to Highgarden? But instead they treat the audience as children and say "look how smart Cersei is, she out witted her brother." It isn't that she is a better tactician or leader it is that the rules of combat are different. She gets to move troops with complete secrecy and perfect coordination, while her commanders have uncanny knowledge of when and where to do the most damage.

They took competent characters and made them incompetent so that Cersei and Dany are on equal footing. Or more likely so they can justify pushing Dany to mounting a dragon and roasting an army and/or city alive.

And they have been doing this for multiple seasons now, Ramsey Bolton was insufferable, and now they are doing the exact same things with Cersei and Euron. As others have put better what happened to competent Tyrion, Varys and Littlefinger? Even the sand snakes we are told for multiple seasons how dangerous they are and skilled fighters, they 2 v 1 Euron, get rekt and don't even poison him, which is kinda their thing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Exactly. We literally ended the last season with Dany showing that she can effortlessly destroy a slaver fleet at her leisure from Drogon's back, now suddenly Euron's fleet is just sailing past her whenever it wants and is a super huge threat.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If an army is depicted marching without having much problems with a supply chain/logistics/feeding the horses/whatever the gently caress, it doesn't mean "supplies don't matter for them", it means that in the story, they didn't have any problems with the supply. You may as well be mad in a movie if one character, for plot reasons, has their car break down, but another character is seen driving successfully without going to a garage for an oil change/tire rotation/etc. "Why doesn't car maintenance matter for that character????"

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008
I agree. I was just thinking about ways to ham it up even more.
You also made me remember the unarmed giant. Give him a tree trunk. Anything.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Collateral posted:

It's so lazy. 10 seconds of dialogue in last two episodes would have been enough to switch that particular scene from dumb to completely sensible. A minute scene between Olenna and Tarly would have been enough to switch the scene from handwavy to fun and intriguing. A drat dialogue between Dickon and Randall Tarly would have explained everything. They started with Jaime and Tarly scene so it seemed like there could be actual plot and character motivations... and then it was just Lannister soldiers and two Tarlys and they win because they have to, scene over :downs:

The fact that people and me resort to fanfiction and headcanon to try to maintain the suspension of disbelief in the story is wonderful. I get this hilarious feeling that the episode scripts are written in vacuum, with only the broad outline and the wanted end result given in advance. This is like filming a romance in a movie without a single scene of mutual attraction, or doing a murder mystery without leads and false alarms thrown everywhere. "And then they suddenly had sex [because script says they should]" "And it was Dude 4 who was the killer [because the script says it was]". A car race where the only thing you see are cars crossing the finishing line.

The showrunners should just embrace the schlock and soap opera and ham it up, because the dissonance is jarring. Give the Night King a rockin' heavy metal leitmotif and turn all dragon scenes to anime.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sydin posted:

Mmm yes. The Tyrell's, the house of Loras, The Knight of Flowers, one of the greatest knights of the realm in his time. Truly a house terrible at fighting.

I don't know that we can extrapolate one dude's martial prowess in single combat* to a whole House's military acumen. I mean I'm sure even the Tajik army could shake out a single, solitary awesome soldier.

*and to be honest, is Loras that great in the show? honestly he tends to get clowned on like early season Worf.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He beat the first Mountain by riding a horny horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Solice Kirsk posted:

He beat the first Mountain by riding a horny horse.

And then was absolutely going to get murdered for it in the real fight the ruse provoked.

• Locked thread