Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

A MIRACLE posted:

several minutes? just split the next lane over and pass them

I occasionally have to do this when a landbarge/mister bmw tries filtering with his panniers infront of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Keket posted:

I occasionally have to do this when a landbarge/mister bmw tries filtering with his panniers infront of me.

That's Dr. BMW, DMD to you, peasant :colbert:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

A month ago I was visiting someone who lives near the Born Free motorcycle show in Silverado and every Harley stereotype I have was confirmed. It's held off a nice road that is popular with bikers (rolling hills and gentle turns, nothing too fun), but during the ~7 miles I was on the road I saw multiple customized bikes being towed, and a couple others that looked broken down on the side. I made the mistake of leaving when a lot of bikers were leaving the event, they were slow enough that a CRV was getting pissed stuck behind them. Later I got on the freeway and watched a woman on a Harley (no gear, lovely helmet) honk her horn over and over as she was splitting lanes to try and get cars to move out of the way as much as she wanted (there was plenty of room for my bike at least, but I was in a car). Not honk once at multiple cars, we're talking 5 honks at one car the second she got near it.

This is probably why I have people who try and cut me off when I split lanes (or else they're from out of state and being a good citizen by helping enforce "the law").

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Average cost of a chain and sprockets for a ~100hp full sized bike: about $250 + labour.

Cost of a belt by itself for a buell XB: $360

Thanks, Obama.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Someone said the belt + labor for their harley was $600+, goddamn.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah because the ingenious design of the big twin means that to change the belt you need to remove the entire primary drive unit with the half-dozen seals and liter of oil that implies.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Don't hate us just cuz you aint us.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Ahahahaha loving Harley.
I will admit it's sort of amusing adjusting height / tuning a wet clutch basket for consistent engagement once but also lol never again.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have this theory that harleys are designed for compulsive tinkerers who sit on beer crates. All the important poo poo is on the sides of the bike instead of the top and at ideal beer-crate-squatting height, they're forever leaking or needing some sort of tweaking and it's basically impossible to have a perfect one unless you're playing with it constantly.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Slavvy posted:

I have this theory that harleys are designed for compulsive tinkerers who sit on beer crates. All the important poo poo is on the sides of the bike instead of the top and at ideal beer-crate-squatting height, they're forever leaking or needing some sort of tweaking and it's basically impossible to have a perfect one unless you're playing with it constantly.

We may as well admit that Harleys are Ork Bikes. Chrome ones go faster.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

We may as well admit that Harleys are Ork Bikes. Chrome ones go faster
slower never leave the driveway.

FTFY

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Thanks

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Harleys are machines that are on the verge of rapidly disassembling by merely running or when their rider inevitably steers into a ditch. I don't understand the ob-gyn examination chair ergos either. I wish they would try making a bike with sumo ergos and making an engine that isn't a V2.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 2, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol if you think they are interested at all in anything besides appeasing their base and selling merch. The base wants baggers and merch, so there you go.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They also posted some pretty severe losses just recently because their base is slowly dying of old age and nobody under thirty is interested in/can afford to buy one.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

nobody under thirty is interested in/can afford to buy one.

Oh, these people do exist, it's just that they're universally the type of person who will not shut up about what they saw on Orange County Choppers (CHOPPER CHOPPER CHOPPER), but will never make any effort towards actually buying a bike, choosing instead to blow their cash on H-D stickers for the back windows of their Tahoe/Explorer/Ram/F150 and buying lots of tshirts and/or tattoos with copious amounts of bars-and-shields, bald eagles and American flags on them.

They follow the grand tradition of Harley-Davidson, the company, of never actually trying to improve their situation or live up to their potential, instead choosing to bask in the shiny, chrome-like glow of their mediocrity.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Don't those belts last like 100k miles though?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Based on what I've seen they last about 50kkm or however long it takes for a stone to flick up in there and start going around and around and around until it cuts a gouge in the sprockets thus moving the bill into four digit territory.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

R-Type posted:

I wish they would try making a bike with sumo ergos and making an engine that isn't a V2.

Excuse me, but have you considered: the V-twin is God's preferred engine configuration

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Excuse me, but have you considered: the V-twin is God's preferred engine configuration

Yeah when you open those puppies up past a 45 degree V-angle it turns out they're really pretty grunty!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

They don't call it the Trinity for nothing, apostate. :britain:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

Look, a 90 degree V is just an L.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

This is true, but Harley still messed it up with such a narrow V

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is true, but Harley still messed it up with such a narrow V

And the forked conrod, and the terrible main bearing design, and the terrible camshaft design, and the hilariously nonexistent oiling system that makes anything more that 5000rpm lead to a swift death.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The modern ones are decent, seen a bunch of them with 70k+ miles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The modern ones are decent, seen a bunch of them with 70k+ miles.

Modern Sportster? Yes they're excellent. Modern twin cam? Guaranteed cam chain tensioner and cam bearing failure around 40kkm.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I got a parking ticket for parking in between two cars in Skid Row / Little Tokyo area, where half the parking spots are taken by tents. The worst thing is when I got there a scooter had a whole parking spot to themselves, but I didn't share the spot because I wanted to leave it open for a full size vehicle when the scooter left. Parked in the exact same spot many times now, and had meter maids drive by before but not do anything about it. Can't believe my first ticket on my bike was a $68 parking ticket.

tjones
May 13, 2005
That's still better than an 800 dollar front wheel freedom fine and bike impoundment.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Is that happens if I remove my license plate when I park there next time?

tjones
May 13, 2005
Just lift a local bike next time and ditch it and run if you think you're about to incur a penalty.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

They also posted some pretty severe losses just recently because their base is slowly dying of old age and nobody under thirty is interested in/can afford to buy one.
And anyone under 40 who wants a cruiser buys an Indian or a metric cruiser instead because they actually appreciate things like ABS brakes, fuel injection, a sub-700lbs weight and a frame stiffer than a wet noodle.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 8, 2017

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

And anyone under 40 who wants a cruiser buys an Indian or a metric cruiser instead because they actually appreciate things like ABS brakes, fuel injection, a sub-700lbs weight and a frame stiffer than a wet noodle.

For example: Yamaha Warrior. Oooohhh yeeahh.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Coredump posted:

For example: Yamaha Warrior. Oooohhh yeeahh.

With or without the giant exhaust can?

Honestly though when I sell my vulcan in a few years I might get one of these or an M109r. Or a Scout. Either way, the market has moved way ahead of what Harley wants to offer. Every now and then they try something interesting but they seem content to let them die on the vine because they either lack commitment or direction on how to branch out from their core market. Hell, remember when they bought MV Agusta?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everything cool Harley tries seems to get shouted down by the base and management.

XR750/1200
Buell
Liquid cooling
I guess other things too?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

As Nero Danced posted:

With or without the giant exhaust can?

Honestly though when I sell my vulcan in a few years I might get one of these or an M109r.

You should get the M109.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I convinced my pops to get the Yamaha Warrior. For a cruiser that thing handles pretty good. Pops was able to keep up with me on my sv650 on 60 above Suches without issue. An upgrade people do is swap the forks with some from an R1 to get more adjustment on the suspension. Also Traxxion Dynamics makes some stuff for the Warrior as well. The clutch pull on it is heavy as well but it pulls like a freight train. Plus the aluminum frame means its not obscenely heavy.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Everything cool Harley tries seems to get shouted down by the base and management.

XR750/1200
Buell
Liquid cooling
I guess other things too?
LiveWire

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

I convinced my pops to get the Yamaha Warrior. For a cruiser that thing handles pretty good. Pops was able to keep up with me on my sv650 on 60 above Suches without issue. An upgrade people do is swap the forks with some from an R1 to get more adjustment on the suspension. Also Traxxion Dynamics makes some stuff for the Warrior as well. The clutch pull on it is heavy as well but it pulls like a freight train. Plus the aluminum frame means its not obscenely heavy.

Friend of mine is selling his Midnight Warrior (the one I babysat over the winter) because he keeps having kids. It's a pretty unique 'cruiser' experience; I think he's an idiot for trying to get rid of it and out of motorcycles altogether.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Warriors and vmaxes are really what cruisers should and would be like if Harley never existed so that manufacturers didn't have to pander to that aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
What are CA's thoughts on the raider?