Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I really liked the crystal kingdom :-x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

kayakyakr posted:

I really like nearly every ep of crystal kingdom aside from the last couple of episodes which are pretty drawn out but still decent. It and Stolen Century are probably the two that benefit the most from being able to be binge-listened, I remember hating Crystal Kingdom when I listened to it "live" but it's much better at your own pace.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I like all of TAZ because I genuinely enjoy Griffin's storytelling, exposition and all. Of course what makes the series shine is the interactivity but some storytelling breaks help to keep everyone invested and make clear what's going on and why they're doing what they're doing.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Poque posted:

I really like nearly every ep of crystal kingdom aside from the last couple of episodes which are pretty drawn out but still decent. It and Stolen Century are probably the two that benefit the most from being able to be binge-listened, I remember hating Crystal Kingdom when I listened to it "live" but it's much better at your own pace.

I think I have a high opinion of Crystal Kingdom because it got the single biggest guffaw moment out of me from the entire season.

I really like how the Stolen Century turned out and think that the simplified system has some potential. It started out rough, but they really got into the flow of things well. Was thinking about experimenting with a similar setup for something of my own.

Of course, Eleventh Hour will always be my favorite arc.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

kayakyakr posted:

Me too. It's probably my third favorite after Eleventh Hour and Murder on the Rockport Limited, because it's when Griffin started really going the extra mile with post-production editing. And Hodge Podge rules.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

drat that was a great episode.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

E: oops

inferis fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 3, 2017

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
You can like or dislike Crystal Kingdom, but Kravitz' "what... the gently caress is wrong with you" reaction when they start loving around with the magic fork is absolutely hysterical from a completely objective standpoint.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

You can like or dislike Crystal Kingdom, but Kravitz' "what... the gently caress is wrong with you" reaction when they start loving around with the magic fork is absolutely hysterical from a completely objective standpoint.

that and the way the boss fight of the chapter is dispatched is so satisfying that crystal kingdom will never be bad to me despite all its flaws

also totally gutted that the angus mcdonald bubblegum comics you get when you preorder the TAZ comic is US only :cry:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

In a bizarro world where Rockport Limited does not exist, "all of the lunar interludes lumped together" is the best chapter of TAZ. Pretty much every interaction with Garfield/Angus/Gashapan Machine Guy is the best, and I love seeing all of the cool new items that the crew picks up and then forgets about forever.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Having just finished it last night, I'm throwing my hat into the "I like Crystal Kingdom" ring. Like, maybe it gets even better from here (I don't know yet, I'm about to start Lunar Interlude III), but Griffin's music additions were on loving point in a major way, and on a level they weren't quite at prior.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm a little sad that we didn't get a fifth verse of Crystal Kingdom when Legion showed back up. Here in our crystal kingdom!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I liked the Crystal Kingdom a lot, but I only started listening to TAZ on the tail-end of Eleventh Hour. Suffering Game has some of my favorite moments but was pretty depressing to listen to as updates came out. The first episode of Stolen Century was merely okay, but every episode of Stolen Century managed to be better than the one before it, until it was loving glorious at the end.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sawbones:
I'm slowly catching up but on the episode where Sydnee's dad guests.
At first blush you could mistake him for Justin or Clint.
Those families have a LOT in common.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

loving-

John told Merle how to defeat the Hunger, and I just realized it's something Lucretia can do. He was demonstrating how the Hunger grows and possesses people with the chess game, by tainting their bonds upon consumption. John tells Merle to 'break the bonds'. Or break the strings? But the strings have got to be bonds. And who do we know who has been practicing a shield that can cut the shielded area off from outside bonds...?

I'm not exactly sure what this will look like in practice. If Lucretia shields a Hunger thrall in a bubble, does it free them? Does she need to put the shield around the Hunger itself? Any thoughts, people?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Angry Diplomat posted:

The entire Candle nights bit at the beginning was also perfect and hilarious.

Justin: Dad, do you remember all those Christmases we spent together as a family?
Clint: No.
Justin:...alright let's try that again but this time you say yes to my loving bit! :argh:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

PetraCore posted:

loving-

John told Merle how to defeat the Hunger, and I just realized it's something Lucretia can do. He was demonstrating how the Hunger grows and possesses people with the chess game, by tainting their bonds upon consumption. John tells Merle to 'break the bonds'. Or break the strings? But the strings have got to be bonds. And who do we know who has been practicing a shield that can cut the shielded area off from outside bonds...?

I'm not exactly sure what this will look like in practice. If Lucretia shields a Hunger thrall in a bubble, does it free them? Does she need to put the shield around the Hunger itself? Any thoughts, people?

It's not entirely clear what the plan is. Obviously they're going to modify Lucretia's original plan in a way that centers around the Hunger instead of their home plane, but there are a couple of issues with that. First off, Lucretia's spell is presumably designed to create a bubble big enough to house the Prime Material Plane. If it were big enough to contain all 12 planes, there would have been no issue with her plan. Now she has to make a bubble big enough to hold The Hunger, which is way way bigger than 12 planes.

Second, Her spell is designed to create a bubble around the plane that the user is in, with them inside. Even if she does make one big enough to trap the Hunger within, she, Davenport, Magnus, Merle, and Taako are going to be trapped too. They certainly didn't sound like they thought they were embarking on a suicide mission, so either they have something in mind or they haven't considered this.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
its pretty obvious that's what they're gonna do. THB are going to take that treasonous bastard Lucretia inside the Hunger with the Starblaster and have her cast her tomb spell to kill it

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If that's the plan, they shouldn't have brought Magnus along. They did, so I don't think that's it. That said, it would be pretty cool to see some PvP.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Merle's going to roll to seduce the Hunger.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PetraCore posted:

Oh, sweet kibbles and bits, I fear you're right.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PetraCore posted:

Clint has mentioned that he wants Merle to make a heroic sacrifice at some point. :ohdear:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Boy it sure would be a shame if the Hogsbottom three met an untimely end during the finale. Or at least Scales...

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PetraCore posted:

loving-

I just find it funny that it was Justin that had to come up with the 3rd option, despite Griffin hitting Clint over the head with it.

I did take it to mean that they have to find the source of the hunger. In the chess game, when the bonds are cut from the king, everything is released. So wrap the core of the hunger in the shield and it theoretically will release everything else.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

kayakyakr posted:

I just find it funny that it was Justin that had to come up with the 3rd option, despite Griffin hitting Clint over the head with it.

I did take it to mean that they have to find the source of the hunger. In the chess game, when the bonds are cut from the king, everything is released. So wrap the core of the hunger in the shield and it theoretically will release everything else.

Isn't that John? Or is he not the core anymore?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PetraCore posted:

I don't think he was ever the hunger's core. He may have been the hunger's head, but there's something else that's the heart.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

kayakyakr posted:

I don't think he was ever the hunger's core. He may have been the hunger's head, but there's something else that's the heart.

Hmmm... well, John's revelation tainting an entire planar system and turning it into, uh, this, has always been weird. Maybe whatever triggered that is the heart?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

kayakyakr posted:

Oh! That makes perfect sense. It also sounds super cool. Journey to the Center of the Hunger!

PetraCore posted:

Kinda, but I think it's more specifically the Prime Material Plane from John's home system.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

I'm pretty sure the prophecy lady in Refuge said Taako will be the one to make a third choice when two are offered, so that was the plan all along

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I really enjoyed today's episode of Roze Buddiez. Griffin's deep analysis of young children's programming is compelling.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

SoupyTwist posted:

I'm pretty sure the prophecy lady in Refuge said Taako will be the one to make a third choice when two are offered, so that was the plan all along

Interesting. Missed that.

I did notice something in the relisten right from the "previously on" section that I didn't catch the first time because I don't really pay attention to it. At one point in the story (stolen century?) they share a meal that builds a strong bond, because that's how they do. It totally justifies when the two food trailers explode

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ILQaZC24kiw

The person who did the fantastic Wonderland animation did the moment they really became the THB

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 3, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wait, I missed what THB means.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Tres Horny Boys :heysexy:

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
also Thaako Highchurch Burnsides.

Trés Horny Boys is the name of the main party, as baptized by Clint iirc. Also The Hogsbottom Three have that name to fit into THB, i believe

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

sexpig by night posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ILQaZC24kiw

The person who did the fantastic Wonderland animation did the moment they really became the THB

That fuckin Sarah McLaughlin.

RIP Magic Brian, you were too good for this world. But not really, because you were kind of evil.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

El Padrino posted:

also Thaako Highchurch Burnsides.

Trés Horny Boys is the name of the main party, as baptized by Clint iirc. Also The Hogsbottom Three have that name to fit into THB, i believe

Coined by Justin, but set in stone by Clint immediately after
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TJ9ap3ajDw

And since it's animatic time again, it's cry o'clock you fuckers :c00l:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3LFK8UpfbQ

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

kayakyakr posted:

I think I have a high opinion of Crystal Kingdom because it got the single biggest guffaw moment out of me from the entire season.

I really like how the Stolen Century turned out and think that the simplified system has some potential. It started out rough, but they really got into the flow of things well. Was thinking about experimenting with a similar setup for something of my own.

Of course, Eleventh Hour will always be my favorite arc.

eleventh hour whips

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I loved all the arcs but the suffering game has a special place in my heart because I'm cruel, I guess. I liked the feeling of there being an actual threat (you know they're not gonna die, so). I started listening to TAZ right as the suffering game was ending so I could binge listen to every arc, so that's probably why I loved them all. They didn't drag because I already had all of them to listen to. GERBLINS was hard work because it took me a while to get into it, but by the time they got to the mushrooms that farted at them whenever they spoke (so they kept telling each other to shut up) I was pretty much sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't understand why Taako making a taco accomplished what it did.