Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
lol triple j thinks anyone gives a poo poo about them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Nah go to 8bit. I took some Adelaide peeps to Gami chicken because it owns and they liked it. There's always a lot of free/cheap comedy and poo poo going on that attracts decent names. MIFF is on as well so go see a Romanian film about a man that loves a duck or some poo poo.

Isn't 8 Bit out in the burbs? Like Footscray?

I might try get there when I'm in town for the NTEU council in a couple months.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

open24hours posted:

March 3rd makes sense, but isn't any national day going to draw exactly the same criticisms as Australia Day does now? It doesn't matter what day you choose to celebrate, the country was still built on land stolen from the Indigenous population.

It does matter. Jan 26 is specifically the day that white man rocked up and 'took' the land from the traditional custodians. To celebrate Australia, and what it is to be Australian, on that day, is insensitive. That's why the call is to 'change the date', not 'get rid of australia day altogether'.

The people who want to change the day don't hate Australia, and they have hosed up the narrative by making it look that way. Or by allowing it to be portrayed as such. They would just rather celebrate it on a day which doesn't literally commemorate the time it was taken from them.

Of course some might actually hate Australia, but we're not going anywhere with them.

March 3 looks good to me, thanks for that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Don Dongington posted:

Isn't 8 Bit out in the burbs? Like Footscray?

I might try get there when I'm in town for the NTEU council in a couple months.

There are two in the city now bud. The original Footscray one is still the best though. I've got a heap of new places I haven't tried yet and will post some food updates because Melbourne is killing it on the fat western lifestyle front.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Hobo Erotica posted:

It does matter. Jan 26 is specifically the day that white man rocked up and 'took' the land from the traditional custodians. To celebrate Australia, and what it is to be Australian, on that day, is insensitive.

It's not though. It's the date we celebrate due to various accidents of history, which would be the case for any other date we chose.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

open24hours posted:

It's not though. It's the date we celebrate due to various accidents of history, which would be the case for any other date we chose.

Huh? What accidents of history? Why do you think we chose Jan 26?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

They should do it on ANZAC Day. What the gently caress was I thinking!?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

they should cancel the hottest 100 for making us suffer the 'change the date' arguments on facebook twice in a loving year.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I've not had 8bit burger but I can second that grand trailer park does bomb rear end burgers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

"And as our brave soldiers stormed the beaches at Gallipoli, please welcome to the winners podium, The Essendon Bombers"

*JJJ hot 100 blares on patio crossing live to Gallipoli beach where some kids are getting their tackle out*

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Laserface posted:

they should cancel the hottest 100 for making us suffer the 'change the date' arguments on facebook twice in a loving year.

If they tried to raise the issue in January people would dismiss it on the grounds we've got a whole year to sort things out.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-03/crowdfunding-offers-new-opportunities-for-property-investors/8770476

quote:

Forget securing bank loans, costly mortgages and stressful auctions — investors could make their way into the increasingly challenging Australian property market through crowdfunding, according to new research.
A study from the University of South Australia has suggested crowdfunding could be a new vehicle for investors trying to make headway into the property market.
The study, which aimed to investigate investor perceptions of property crowdfunding, was conducted in partnership with DomaCom, one of the largest property crowdfunding platforms in Australia.

How does property crowdfunding work?
Property crowdfunding involves investors using digital platforms to invest in the purchase price of a property, with people able to invest as little as $1,000.
The property is sold once the sale price is reached by any given number of investors.
The seller receives income from the sale of the property 'shares', while buyers receive dividends and capital growth based on their level of investment.
In contrast to a traditional property purchase, there is no peer-to-peer lending or debt structure associated with the investment, which Dr Lowies argued made the concept more accessible to more investors.
The research found crowdfunding offered low to medium financial risk and similar levels of return.

Despite admitting he had no crystal ball, Dr Lowies said the research offered promising signs for the longevity of the property crowdfunding model in Australia.
"If I look at the rapid growth of crowdfunding as a concept and then real estate crowdfunding within that as a concept, and the global growth which it has shown, I do think there is a very good opportunity for Australia to mimic that growth and for the industry to become a very strong industry," he said.
"It's a shopping-at-my-desk world that we are moving towards and why not?
"Why not have the opportunity to sit at your desk, to view photographs of a property and to shop online?"

I don't get it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just shove it somewhere in the big public-holiday-free gap in the second half of the year.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It's not like Australia Day is a guaranteed day off to go to a party. It's the same people who would still be probably working on Australia Day who would get fuckedover by having it on any other Saturday.

E: this was the main arguments triple j survey seemed to be making about keeping the date

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Apparently commonwealth bank may have been involved in terrorism financing and money laundering breaches?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/03/commonwealth-bank-accused-of-money-laundering-and-terrorism-financing-breaches

Assuming they actually did something illegal, i will be watching keenly as precisely gently caress all happens or at best some completely irrelevant middle manager who forgot to delete his signature off the email chain gets taken down for it and the rest of the execs give each other a payrise.

Also if 8bit is the same as the craft brewery that I tried a while back, they make an alright beer.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Concerns MP may quit Coalition over marriage

National Party MPs are deeply concerned Victorian MP Andrew Broad could quit the Coalition and sit on the crossbench over same-sex marriage

Sky News has confirmed Mr Broad has told colleagues he has not backed away from this threat to sit on the crossbench over the marriage issue.

The member for the Victorian seat of Mallee warned last year his support for Coalition was 'conditional' on the honouring of an election commitment to hold a plebiscite on same-sex marriage.

Mr Broad told Sky News he had 'no comment' on concerns he may sit on the crossbench if rebel Liberal MPs pass a vote on marriage on the floor of the parliament.

He will fly to Rockhampton today for a meeting of National Party.

Nationals leader Barnaby Joyce has previously counselled Mr Broad over his threat to sit on the crossbench.

Liberal MP Warren Entsch, a long-time advocate of same-sex marriage, told Sky News the debate had gone on long enough.

'I would like to vote on the floor of parliament on this issue, this has been debated now for about 15 years or more, it's been debated to death and the question needs to be put,' he said.

He denied there were any plans to vote against the government, insisting he is only seeking to discuss the matter at next week's partyroom meeting.

The plan for a plebiscite was a captain's pick by then prime minister Tony Abbott to delay marriage equality rather than resolve it, he said.

'Instead of being ambushed and deceived, I trust this prime minister to do the right thing and give us an opportunity to have a fair hearing on this,' Mr Entsch told Sky News ahead of Tuesday's meeting.

Mr Entsch wants the Liberal Party to make its own decision on marriage equality free from the National Party.

The Nationals would be free to disagree with the Liberal position and vote against it.

Responding to Mr Entsch, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said the issue could be discussed in both the Liberal and joint partyrooms but said policy would ultimately be decided by the Coalition.

'We have many discussions in our respective party rooms, in the National Party room, the Liberal Party room, but, of course, ultimately Coalition policy is determined in the Coalition partyroom,' Mr Turnbull told reporters in Perth.

The Queensland MP said the idea of a postal plebiscite was not a solution and would only create more division.

'I don't think postal plebiscites were really designed for contentious issues and if we're going to have one...let's have on the death penalty, on euthanasia, on abortion,' he said.

Another prominent supporter of same-sex marriage, Tim Wilson, refused to answer questions about the government's policy in regards to same-sex marriage, telling Sky News he had 'said everything I have to say' on the issue.

Labor leader Bill Shorten said Mr Turnbull himself had strongly argued against a postal ballot in the past.

'What we say is let's get on with it, let's make marriage equality a reality. Let's get back to our old-fashioned concept in Australian politics called leadership, Mr Turnbull.'

With AAP

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2017/08/03/pm-mulls-secret-ballot-on-marriage-reform.html

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

The Prime Minister Has Called An Emergency Liberal Party Meeting For Monday Next Week

Prime minister Malcolm Turnbull has called a Monday meeting of just the Liberal party room to discuss the thorny issue of marriage equality, BuzzFeed News has learnt.

Parliament returns next week from a long winter break, with tensions running high among government MPs about the future of its controversial plebiscite on marriage equality.

BuzzFeed News can reveal chief government whip David Bushby emailed MPs and their staff on Thursday afternoon, telling them all Liberal MPs would need to be in Canberra to meet on Monday at 4pm next week.

Three Liberal Party sources confirmed the special Monday meeting to deal with the issue of marriage equality.

News of the meeting raised eyebrows among Coalition MPs and staffers because the Coalition joint party room, which includes both Liberal and National MPs, is due to meet on Tuesday morning.

Foreign minister Julie Bishop's office confirmed to BuzzFeed News the minister won't be returning from the Philippines until Monday night, which means she'll likely miss the meeting.

The foreign minister's office said previous reports that she was rushing back to the country for a vote were incorrect.

More to come.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/aliceworkman/turnbull-meeting?utm_term=.vkK8zJLyj#.tmMlE5D0L

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lol at loving turnbull making the horrible superministry, giving it to Dutton and it doing gently caress all to prevent himself being knifed

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ng_Y4vc9Q

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Rare Fight In Sydney Pub Interrupts 23 Separate Conversations About Property Market

A rare case of people showing some form of emotion in a licensed Sydney venue has resulted in an awkward pause in conversations about the city’s property market this afternoon.

It is believed an actual fistfight that broke out over whose turn it was on poker machine has interrupted the other forty or so people who were drinking one or two $8 schooners before catching a train home to more affordable suburbs.

“It was weird” said one witness.

“Jason and I were having a bit of a chit chat about the affect of negative gearing on the Sydney housing market”

“Then all of a sudden these low breeds started yelling at each other. I didn’t see much but one of them was drinking non-craft beer so I realised they were just a couple left-overs”

The term left-over is a term of phrase in contemporary Sydney to describe a resident of working class status, who may be lucky enough to still own property within the city’s housing market. The term comes from a sentiment held by the growing economic elite who do not feel Sydney is a place for people who enjoy rugby league and plastic table cloths.

“I have no idea what they were doing in here” said another patron, Brym, who moved to Sydney from Melbourne four to five months ago.

“Me and Tristain were just talking about the effect that introducing foreign money to a local housing market has on interest rates and all of a sudden we heard someone say ‘gently caress youse!’ – we thought an armed robbery was taking place.

Another patron, Alison, said she had just ordered a brioche bun burger from the pub’s Mexican themed pop-up bar, when she hard people fighting each other.

“It was just intimidating to be honest” she said.

“It was funny though, Sally and I had just been talking about whether or not there were any more blue collar workers living in the terrace houses in this area”

“Turns out there’s still a few [laughter].”

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/rare-fight-sydney-pub-interrupts-23-separate-conversations-property-market/

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

G-Spot Run posted:

I've not had 8bit burger but I can second that grand trailer park does bomb rear end burgers.

Reminds me of this classic...

Hipster bars and restaurants targets for senseless attacks

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fo...833e5010c863eeb

A BIZARRE war on hipsters has begun as many alternative bars and cafes become targets for senseless attacks.

Alternative hangouts in Melbourne’s gentrified suburbs have been trashed and one had windows smashed and “hipster scum” graffitied on the walls.

8-Bit burger owner Shayne McCallum says he is far from a hipster.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Holy fuckin' loly.

Tokamak posted:

Reminds me of this classic...

Hipster bars and restaurants targets for senseless attacks

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fo...833e5010c863eeb

A BIZARRE war on hipsters has begun as many alternative bars and cafes become targets for senseless attacks.

Alternative hangouts in Melbourne’s gentrified suburbs have been trashed and one had windows smashed and “hipster scum” graffitied on the walls.

My GF is a Footscray native and she goes off when these things happen and revolutionary legends (middle class white people that grew up int he eastern suburbs) are like "hahaha take that cappo" because Footscray was a poo poo place to grow up and trashing anything nice is loving stupid.

Also yeah, the owner is the most uncool fat nerd on earth.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 3, 2017

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
THE threat of mail-early/mail-often sabotage is one of the reasons why Government MPs are next week likely to dump the idea of a postal ballot on same-sex marriage.

A national vote, essentially carried out by the Post Office, would be vulnerable to manipulation and delivery failures, those familiar with such ballots warn.

Election officials have documented how thousands of people could people have wasted their votes by using the mail, and ballot-stacking veterans scoff at the idea the system round be free of corruption.

The proposal by Immigration Minister Peter Dutton — intended to replace a hugely expensive plebiscite — appears doomed as Government MPs regroup to prevent the issue overwhelming the first party room meeting when Parliament returns next week.

Fell flat on his face, Mister Speaker.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

[quote="Tokamak" post="4749

[/quote]

jesus I think I lost my appetite

also what.

quote:

The owner of Inflation, the King Street nightclub where a couple was shot by police last month, says a long-running campaign is being waged against her partner, Victoria's senior drugs officer.

Martha Tsamis has been in a seven-year relationship with Detective Inspector Phil Harrison, who heads the state's drugs taskforce.

I thought the club was constantly being targeted by police because it was a 'hotspot' what.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

JBP posted:

Holy fuckin' loly.

My GF is a Footscray native and she goes off when these things happen and revolutionary legends (middle class white people that grew up int he eastern suburbs) are like "hahaha take that cappo" because Footscray was a poo poo place to grow up and trashing anything nice is loving stupid.

This looks like exactly the sort of person I would expect to run a video game themed burger shop.

The burgers are good though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

This looks like exactly the sort of person I would expect to run a video game themed burger shop.

The burgers are good though.

Yeah. He breathes heavily.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lid posted:

THE threat of mail-early/mail-often sabotage is one of the reasons why Government MPs are next week likely to dump the idea of a postal ballot on same-sex marriage.

A national vote, essentially carried out by the Post Office, would be vulnerable to manipulation and delivery failures, those familiar with such ballots warn.

Election officials have documented how thousands of people could people have wasted their votes by using the mail, and ballot-stacking veterans scoff at the idea the system round be free of corruption.

The proposal by Immigration Minister Peter Dutton — intended to replace a hugely expensive plebiscite — appears doomed as Government MPs regroup to prevent the issue overwhelming the first party room meeting when Parliament returns next week.

Fell flat on his face, Mister Speaker.

Plebiscite cancelled when ballots stuck in Chullora, NSW for two weeks.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

https://twitter.com/vanOnselenP/status/892939358348517376
https://twitter.com/timwilsoncomau/status/892947769563926528

Wilson is such a failure, not in the context of being an MP - just in general.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
A Plebiscite just sounds too Plebeian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISvXllfi1cQ

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I feel a spill coming on

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Hobo Erotica posted:

Huh? What accidents of history? Why do you think we chose Jan 26?

The Wikipedia article covers it. There are a bunch of different dates that could have been chosen and would have been just as valid, but the date is completely arbitrary anyway. A celebration of the foundation of the Australian state as it is now is necessarily a celebration of the dispossession of the Indigenous population. You can't just change the date and enjoy a guilt free Australia day.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 3, 2017

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Anidav posted:

I feel a spill coming on

Can I just say that I love that they're called spills? I just imagine the Prime Minister walking into a room with a bunch of marbles and tripping and they spill everywhere, and if they don't get a majority back they get fired.

It's 2:15 am here and I haven't slept, I'm sorry.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Odds are open boys
:siren:

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Jesus the thought of Dutton being Prime Minister

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

If Abbott was why not Dutton

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

open24hours posted:

The Wikipedia article covers it. There are a bunch of different dates that could have been chosen and would have been just as valid, but the date is completely arbitrary anyway. A celebration of the foundation of the Australian state as it is now necessarily a celebration of the dispossession of the Indigenous population. You can't just change the date and enjoy a guilt free Australia day.

Yes, a bunch of dates could have been chosen, but they went with the one which specifically marks the date of the dispossession, that's the problem. Changing the date, which is literally what the indigenous community is asking us to do, would indeed help them to be able to join in and celebrate Australia (which is something they would actually like to do). It might not be entirely guilt free, but they're telling is it would be better, so that's what I'm listening to.

I think my source for this is the Briggs interview on the Wilosophy podcast.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Knobb Manwich posted:

If Abbott was why not Dutton

I've always wanted a PM literally everyone knows they are smarter than. Even Abbott could hold claim to be a Rhodes Scholar. It would be a fitting end to these almost middle ages political games. Elect an anti-PM in a rival council.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Hobo Erotica posted:

Yes, a bunch of dates could have been chosen, but they went with the one which specifically marks the date of the dispossession, that's the problem. Changing the date, which is literally what the indigenous community is asking us to do, would indeed help them to be able to join in and celebrate Australia (which is something they would actually like to do). It might not be entirely guilt free, but they're telling is it would be better, so that's what I'm listening to.

I think my source for this is the Briggs interview on the Wilosophy podcast.

The problem with saying "the indigenous community" is that there are thousands.

There's no cause for celebration no matter what the date and I'd be suss if you're hearing otherwise

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Become a republic some time in August or September, set the national holiday on that date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

JBP posted:

Yeah, heaping poo poo on people for being fat and into stuff is hell cool.

• Locked thread