Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
My girlfriend and I hated Misato when we went the other week. It had been bigged up somewhat by friends and this thread, but it was a crushingly disappointing experience.

It's only virtue is that it's quite cheap and you get a lot of food, but otherwise? gently caress me, it's dreadful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
"Hate" means something must have been really off, care to elaborate? Was service poor, was the food bad? I can't say anything on the service when eating at the place obviously and our food was great, so I'd be interested why your experience differed so wildly, I personally haven't had a single bad experience whenever I followed tips from the Where to eat threads.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I've never had a problem with Misato. Food has always been good, cheap and plentiful. Yes it gets busy, and you might have to queue for a bit, which is the only downside. It's not fine dining, and is a bit canteeny, but I couldn't find anything questionable about it.

Hate is a very strong word, what caused your anger, friend?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I had a feeling I'd be asked to expand :D

She ordered the teriyaki salmon bento and I had ten zaru soba. We had tori kara age as a side.

Bad points: The rice and noodles were overcooked and starchy. Massive over-reliance on seafood sticks as a garnish and main ingredient in sushi, dumplings etc. Any salad or 'dressed' dish is smothered in basically salad cream. Salads are just shredded iceberg lettuce rather than anything more interesting. The salmon was overcooked and tasteless and the teriyaki sauce tasted bottled rather than made fresh (seriously it's the easiest thing to make.)

Good points: We didn't have to queue for very long as we were eating fairly early. Service was friendly and attentive. They actually serve buckwheat soba unlike most other places these days. You got a lot of bulk for your money.

In summary it was quite cheap but I would prefer getting 30% less food for the same price and having things be prepared and presented with a bit more care. It feels like it's hyper basic - which is understandable given the volume of covers they handle - but you can have bare bones food without stooping to carelessness. It is without doubt the worst Japanese food I've eaten in London and I would recommend literally any other place.

Taro and Eat Tokyo are both a stone's throw away and while neither is amazing I'd recommend those for budget Japanese any day.

Edit: Shout out to Ichi Riki on Strutton Ground near St James Park which is for my money the best Japanese restaurant we have in the £15-25 per head budget.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 8, 2017

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
If you time it right (they have ridiculous happy hour combo things, work it out before you go) I think Kintan is also very good value. It is certainly the most Japanese restaurant I've been to since Mitsukoshi and JAL canteen shut down.

I really, really loathe the over-reliance on lovely salad in JP restaurants abroad. JP people eat and restaurants serve all kinds of terrible crap, but those limp piles of vegetable matter are just infuriating and a total cheap out.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

VERTiG0 posted:

So how was it

Really, really good. We had 2 cocktails, a number of vegetarian dishes, and two puddings. It was an outstanding meal. Everything was delicious. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Had a pretty mediocre meal at 100 Hoxton. Nothing bad per se, but nothing good either. Too cool for its own good. Unlike Honey & Co, no love or sincerity in the food.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Going to be in London in a few weeks and will be in Central on a Friday. We've got 'Casanova & daughters' booked for wine/nibbles but will need somewhere delicious and relatively close by that can accommodate a party of 12-15. Fairly open to suggestion as far as food goes. No Indian or Middle Eastern though.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

therattle posted:

Really, really good. We had 2 cocktails, a number of vegetarian dishes, and two puddings. It was an outstanding meal. Everything was delicious. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

I tried their other restaurant, Honey & Smoke, a bit ago, and was similarly impressed. Had the prix fixe for 4 people and while everything was delicious, the desserts stood out for me - and I'm not a particularly enthusiastic dessert person. I think it's because they almost all had some balance of sweet and salt or bitter, and some kind of interesting twist, like feta cheesecake.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Any date location recommendations for Lewisham? For Wednesday if it matters

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Any date location recommendations for Lewisham? For Wednesday if it matters

Yeah, go next door to Peckham if you can, where you can take your pick from:

Artusi (modern italian)
Mr Bao (taiwanese - arrive early as no bookings and v popular)
Ganapati (unreal 'proper' indian)
Forza Win (buzzy pasta/italian on long benches, good deals on wednesdays)
Miss Tapas (incredibly good tapas)
Peckham Bazaar ('pan-balkan', very good cooking, something a bit different)
Yada's (Kurdish, absolutely delicious, incredibly reasonable pricing)

I've eaten multiple times at all of these and they never disappoint. Artusi probably the 'fanciest' if that's what you're after, Mr Bao and Peckham Bazaar the most unusual food, Forza Win the trendiest, Ganapati and Miss Tapas just top class examples of that type of food, Yada's for that ramshackle 'hidden gem' feel.

Edit: also Banh Banh if you like Vietnamese, though I haven't been since they've become a 'proper' restaurant, their cooking was always good as a pop-up though.

Edit2: also afterwards go shoot some zombies together at Four Quarters, and go for a cocktail before (or after) at Franks if you want to complete the Peckham checklist. It's intensely popular but the views are genuinely special, no matter how cliché it gets.

Anae fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 26, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Spent last weekend in London and I'm sitting here eating chips wishing I could just pop over to Dishoom for lunch. Or Luca. Or Padella. :rip:

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Anae posted:

Yeah, go next door to Peckham if you can, where you can take your pick from:

Artusi (modern italian)
Mr Bao (taiwanese - arrive early as no bookings and v popular)
Ganapati (unreal 'proper' indian)
Forza Win (buzzy pasta/italian on long benches, good deals on wednesdays)
Miss Tapas (incredibly good tapas)
Peckham Bazaar ('pan-balkan', very good cooking, something a bit different)
Yada's (Kurdish, absolutely delicious, incredibly reasonable pricing)

I've eaten multiple times at all of these and they never disappoint. Artusi probably the 'fanciest' if that's what you're after, Mr Bao and Peckham Bazaar the most unusual food, Forza Win the trendiest, Ganapati and Miss Tapas just top class examples of that type of food, Yada's for that ramshackle 'hidden gem' feel.

Edit: also Banh Banh if you like Vietnamese, though I haven't been since they've become a 'proper' restaurant, their cooking was always good as a pop-up though.

Edit2: also afterwards go shoot some zombies together at Four Quarters, and go for a cocktail before (or after) at Franks if you want to complete the Peckham checklist. It's intensely popular but the views are genuinely special, no matter how cliché it gets.

This is where I now live. I didn't realise it, but I basically hit the jackpot when I moved here. Aw yeah! Plus you're a 10 minute walk to Camberwell for SIlk Rd, FM Mangal, Nape, and a 20 minute bus journey from awesomeness in Brixton (market, Nanba, PopBrixton for Donastia Social Club and so on.

If you're looking in Lewisham, do check out the Street Feast next to the Lewisham centre on a Saturday evening though.

(All my colleagues are convinced that North London is the place to be. Jeez.)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Convexed posted:

from awesomeness in Brixton

(All my colleagues are convinced that North London is the place to be. Jeez.)

Not sure if it's been mentioned upthread but Naughty Piglets in Brixton(ish) is great if you want to try somewhere else. Their new place in Victoria is also good but has more twats.

[I miss north london though]

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
I went to Dishoom last weekend and we ate lots of food and it was delicious.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

tentish klown posted:

I went to Dishoom last weekend and we ate lots of food and it was delicious.

Jealous. I go there every time I'm in London.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Nephzinho posted:

Jealous. I go there every time I'm in London.

Same. I want fly over for like, a day from Paris next month just so I can do that.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Anyone been to the anonymous-looking noodle bar on Cranbourn Street? I've always just known it as 'The Orange Noodle Place' because all the shop signs are in Orange Chinese script. In front they have the usual takeaway shite but in the back they have a different menu. I've only eaten the noodles because they make them fresh there so I don't know what the rest of their stuff is like but the noodle soups are very good and only about £8.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

Same. I want fly over for like, a day from Paris next month just so I can do that.

My sister in law lives in London and anytime I'm in Europe i spend a day or two there and just hit all our favorite spots. Speaking of, did Dirty Burger change their meat blend? I went a few weeks ago and it tasted completely different - it was like they went from fresh meat that they flip n smash to frozen beef patties. Much thicker and rougher texture? Super disappointing and if its indicative of a change in their meat supplier I will probably be removing them from my regular stops.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Nephzinho posted:

My sister in law lives in London and anytime I'm in Europe i spend a day or two there and just hit all our favorite spots.

I'm flying to France for about two weeks, and I don't want to fly over the channel just to eat on my own (also I've already booked my AirBnB).

Edit: gently caress, misread. Never mind.

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 25, 2017

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

My sister in law lives in London and anytime I'm in Europe i spend a day or two there and just hit all our favorite spots. Speaking of, did Dirty Burger change their meat blend? I went a few weeks ago and it tasted completely different - it was like they went from fresh meat that they flip n smash to frozen beef patties. Much thicker and rougher texture? Super disappointing and if its indicative of a change in their meat supplier I will probably be removing them from my regular stops.

Went to dirty burger a few months ago. Was not impressed. I think they've scaled beyond their means into upper-end mcdonalds territory (5 guys, but worse).

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Pizza recommendations? Been thinking about the amazing pizza I had in Florence (simple, very quick) and can't really fly back there for dinner.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lady Gaza posted:

Pizza recommendations? Been thinking about the amazing pizza I had in Florence (simple, very quick) and can't really fly back there for dinner.

Any of the branches of Franco Manca.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Voodoo rays do passable NY slice.

Pizza east do the best 'Italian' pizzas (imo)

Homeslice for pizzas with some amazing flavours (take 10 people, order 5 pizzas).

Nowhere really does a decent pan pizza, and I think this should be a crime.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

NY Fold for actually decent NY style pizza.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Awesome, thanks.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Lady Gaza posted:

Awesome, thanks.

Also, if you're north, Pizzeria Da Michele (of Naples fame) has opened it's only other branch in Stoke Newington of all places.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I went to NY Fold and it was....ok. I suppose I should have anticipated it, being an American-style place, but they were way too heavy on the toppings and the cheese. If I was to go back I'd probably order something a bit simpler, and ask them to cook it for a bit longer - I much preferred the pizza that was closer to the crust as it was crispier. I think Pizza East and Franco Manca are next on my list.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Too... many... toppings and cheese...? :confused:

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Yeah I really don't like overloaded pizzas, I find it makes them too dense. Too many toppings means that the dough can feel soggy, and the cheese makes it too heavy. NY Fold also didn't cook the pizzas long enough, which added to this.

I had this type of pizza in Florence and it was perfect for me.

http://allafiorentina.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/gusta-pizza-calabrese.jpg

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Franco Manca is definitely the place for you then.

Lloyddy
Sep 27, 2000

Lady Gaza posted:

I went to NY Fold and it was....ok. I suppose I should have anticipated it, being an American-style place, but they were way too heavy on the toppings and the cheese. If I was to go back I'd probably order something a bit simpler, and ask them to cook it for a bit longer - I much preferred the pizza that was closer to the crust as it was crispier. I think Pizza East and Franco Manca are next on my list.

I like the pizza at Malletti in Farringdon - might be more the style of pizza you're looking for. And The Griffin is across the road so you can look at some boobs once you've finished your lunch.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I thought NY Fold was really poo poo

Had another excellent meal at Cinnamon Soho last week.

Have I mentioned Granny's Caribbean takeaway in Stroud Green? So good. Delicious curry gist rice and peas with cold sore and a drink for £4, lunch special. It's very, very tasty (and filling)

Granary Thai on Stroud Green Road is very good, but not as good as Rusty Bike on Hornsby Rd, which does really exceptional Thai.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

therattle posted:

Delicious curry gist rice and peas with cold sore and a drink for £4, lunch special.

:stare:

I think I'll pass, thanks.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

therattle posted:

with cold sore

No thanks, you keep your herpes.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steakandchips posted:

No thanks, you keep your herpes.

I meant curry GOAT.

My chum always orders cold sore when getting takeaway. He is always given coleslaw without another glance. I think it's very droll.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Went to Dishoom with some Argentinian friends. Awesome food as usual, came to about £23 each for a drat good meal. One girl get everything was too spicy except the raita which she just about coped with.

Went to the Marksman in Hoxton tonight with girlfriend and parents. It was awesome, I had ox tongue with tomatoes and anchovy mousse which was a perfect combination. The tomatoes really lightened up the tongue. Highlights were definitely the picked courgettes and the chicken pie mains though. I'd have liked to try some of their beers but I was with a group that were firmly wine drinkers and I didn't want to mix.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Any thoughts on where I can take my (pregnant) wife for her birthday next week?

She was thinking of going to temper, but they say 'don't eat medium meat when pregnant', but that's what she wants. Conflicted.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

therattle posted:

I meant curry GOAT.

My chum always orders cold sore when getting takeaway. He is always given coleslaw without another glance. I think it's very droll.

I had a curry goat patty yesterday from the Jamaican patty shop near Leicester Sq and it was fantastic. First time I've ever been offered a taste of something, then turned around half way down the street to go get one. :monocle:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
HI everyone,

What're the go-to recommendations for a blowout place to go at the moment? The Ledbury comes highly recommended, what else is there? Doesn't have to be European, but a tasting menu is a must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Tasting menus aren't really that common these days. Small plates reign supreme.

The Clove Club and Story jump to mind. HKK or Gymkhana for Chinese and Indian.

Le Gavroche is always an option too.