Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Solemn Sloth posted:

Voting for an invalid candidate officially registers your disgust with the system, like voting "none of the above", hth

I've been doing this in WA for years, apparently!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Sparticle posted:

Auspol August
Reviewed 3 August, 2017
Starring Joh Bjelke-Petersen
A citizenship crisis threatens a man's ability to shitpost on a dead gay comedy forum.
Margaret: ★★★★ David: ★★

David would refuse to rate the thread, as giving it a rating good or bad could be seen as condoning it and its contents.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Solemn Sloth posted:

Voting for an invalid candidate officially registers your disgust with the system, like voting "none of the above", hth
ariel sharon for pm

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Labor MPs are formally bound to support SSM in 2019.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Has there been any recent preferred leader polls? Last I remember had Bishop preferred. Dutton didn't poll well.

Yeah Essential had some a few days ago.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Veteran Channel Nine political editor Laurie Oakes will retire later this month, saying he is "disillusioned" with the state of politics.

The 73-year-old said he was slowing down and not able to "saddle up" for another leadership coup.

It's happening

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Birdstrike posted:

thread owns, actually

Embrace the spice

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

aejix posted:

Apparently commonwealth bank may have been involved in terrorism financing and money laundering breaches?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/03/commonwealth-bank-accused-of-money-laundering-and-terrorism-financing-breaches

royal commission now

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hobo Erotica posted:

There are indigenous artists who have appeared in the hottest 100 who werent able to celebrate it because of the day, so gently caress you white man I guess.

No, there are indigenous artists who chose not to celebrate their recognition in a completely unrelated music poll held on the same day, there is a difference. It was entirely possible for them to celebrate their success, and make a statement in protest of Australia Day before, during, or after the JJJ host spoke to them.

Also, an indigenous musician winning an award from a government funded radio station on Australia Day and using the air time to bag Invasion Day is going to set shock jock radio on fire all on its own.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 3, 2017

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/CliveFPalmer/status/893070936731078658

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

No, there are indigenous artists who chose not to celebrate their recognition in a completely unrelated music poll held on the same day, there is a difference. It was entirely possible for them to celebrate their success, and make a statement in protest of Australia Day before, during, or after the JJJ host spoke to them.

Also, an indigenous musician winning an award from a government funded radio station on Australia Day and using the air time to bag Invasion Day is going to set shock jock radio on fire all on its own.

Keep telling those indigenous artists what to think and how to act man, it's a really good look

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hobo Erotica posted:

Keep telling those indigenous artists what to think and how to act man, it's a really good look

Wrongness is colour blind

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

NTRabbit posted:

Wrongness is colour blind
Stick to painting your little dolls, mate.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Birdstrike posted:

royal commission now

Wounderful news for the Government! If they apply the correct, max penalty, it's 1 Trillion Dollars!. We fixed the deficit everyone!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

CrazyTolradi posted:

They are absolutely entitled to refuse to celebrate making the JJJ top 100 on the entirely unrelated day, but it absolutely remains a choice. It's not a difficult concept.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

NTRabbit posted:

They are absolutely entitled to refuse to celebrate making the JJJ top 100 on the entirely unrelated day, but it absolutely remains a choice. It's not a difficult concept.

their mistake is thinking some pissant list is something worth celebrating in the first place

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

You guys are loving hilarious

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Birdstrike posted:

their mistake is thinking some pissant list is something worth celebrating in the first place

It's a huge opportunity, and it's voted on by fans so it's more "promoting yourself and giving the fans a reach around" rather than "celebrating".

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Maybe we should move the JJJ Top 100, but also hold a JJ Top 100 on Australia Day. That way we can pretend that both youth music and political correctness never need change.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

I refuse to believe he would eat a single Tim Tam.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CrazyTolradi posted:

CrazyTolradi posted:

Yeah, heaping poo poo on people for being fat and into stuff is hell cool.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
#1 Forever

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

aejix posted:

Apparently commonwealth bank may have been involved in terrorism financing and money laundering breaches?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/03/commonwealth-bank-accused-of-money-laundering-and-terrorism-financing-breaches

Assuming they actually did something illegal, i will be watching keenly as precisely gently caress all happens or at best some completely irrelevant middle manager who forgot to delete his signature off the email chain gets taken down for it and the rest of the execs give each other a payrise.

Breaching KYC (know your customer) legislation is Pretty Serious Business (TM). I'm employed in the finance sector as a software engineer at the moment and I have KYC rammed down my throat twice a year and I don't even deal directly with customers or currently work on customer facing systems. I don't know anything about how breaches to the AMLCTFA impact licensing, but I'd be surprised if there's not a risk of license suspension too which is death for a bank. (although, too big to fail, y'know)

TABCorp was hit earlier this year with a $45 million dollar finding against it, before court costs (roughly $90 million after): http://www.austrac.gov.au/media/media-releases/record-45-million-civil-penalty-ordered-against-tabcorp

Some news sources are reporting 53,700 individual breaches in this case. Way, WAY more than TABCorp which I think was in the low triple digits iirc.

It's going to be very interesting to see how this unfolds, especially given the current political climate and the Coalition's polling woes. Banks are a universally popular punching bag in the electorate, and isn't the Coalition pissed at the banking sector organisation (name of which escapes me) for appointing an ALP ex-politician (Bligh) as their head?

Lots of 'perfect storm' pieces here.

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 3, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

A reminder that TISM polled a triple in 1995 when the hottest 100 was good and music wasn't terrible poo poo like it is today.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Tokamak posted:

TISM
#1 Forever

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm on the drug that killed the Murray Darling Basin (capitalism)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

RIP Les Murray :(

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Remember kids new Prime Minister means new smoke alarm battery.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

that tim tam belongs to the workers CLIVE

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord Bude posted:

I refuse to believe he would eat a single Tim Tam.

I don't see a full stop. Maybe he meant "tim tam packet". Or pallet.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

It seems the apple doesn't fall far from the balcony.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

JOHANNES.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Why is the cop wearing lipstick?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Did yall already cover the Trumpbull transcript getting leaked? Cause bloody ell.

mormonpartyboat posted:

Trump: Okay, good. Can Australia give me a guarantee that if we have any problems – you know that is what they said about the Boston bombers. They said they were wonderful young men.

Turnbull: They were Russians. They were not from any of these countries.

Trump: They were from wherever they were.

Turnbull: Please, if we can agree to stick to the deal, you have complete discretion in terms of a security assessment. The numbers are not 2,000 but 1,250 to start. Basically, we are taking people from the previous administration that they were very keen on getting out of the United States. We will take more. We will take anyone that you want us to take. The only people that we do not take are people who come by boat. So we would rather take a not very attractive guy that help you out then to take a Noble [sic] Peace Prize winner that comes by boat. That is the point.

Trump: What is the thing with boats? Why do you discriminate against boats? No, I know, they come from certain regions. I get it.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

oh, okay. Wow.
That's p bad.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Basically the whole CSPAM trump thread is gold right now.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Krazyface posted:

Basically the whole CSPAM trump thread is gold right now.

Checked it out after your comment. Can confirm.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Inescapable Duck posted:

Did yall already cover the Trumpbull transcript getting leaked? Cause bloody ell.

what is the thing with boats

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Oh my god, from the horses mouth...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kurtofan posted:

what is the thing with boats

It's a long stupid racist and classist story