Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

RasperFat posted:

regions with higher religiosity tend to be more hosed up.

That's the other way around. Countries with low standards of education are places where religion has an easier time to take hold.

That goes for isolated communities even in otherwise developed countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wow I'm glad my grandparents aren't lame enough to have SA accounts at their age.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/892940224015282176
Oh poo poo, they found the tape where Seth Rich did Benghazi

Hahaha this should be good.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Every preview I've seen has been intolerable. Usually it's something like v
Straw Woman: I've been doing this thing for this reason.
Adam: Actually that reason is made up and wrong and you're stupid for doing it
Straw Woman: But I read this reason in the internet
Adam: Allow me to explain to you as if you were a child
Straw Woman: Aww gee, but this man on the tv said it
Adam: You are a fool
Straw Woman: I'm dumb and so God drat crazy
Adam: I'm the smartest man who ever lived.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The presentation is usually annoying but the information is usually informative and interesting so it kinda balances out.

Yeah, I won't deny that Adam's in-character persona needs some getting used to, but they also have him dig at himself as he points out stuff to other people. I also liked how in the marriage episode it was the guy who was all obsessed with having the perfect wedding and the bride didn't really care. This season, they've also added segments where he interviews one of the experts as a himself, which might help, too.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Shifty Pony posted:

A really good dividing line I saw suggested in the past was whether you played Oregon Trail in school computer lab or not. If you did that meant you grew up in the transitional period when computers were becoming cheap enough to be ubiquitous (and used by children) but before always on internet changed everything.

The Apple II version, or the more modern trash?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Paracaidas posted:

Apple II, but it has to be on the black Bell and Howell model.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The presentation is usually annoying but the information is usually informative and interesting so it kinda balances out.

I think the presentation is done that way so Adam doesn't come across as snobbish/whatever negative impression people get from intellectuals. He is just a guy with an almost child-like enthusiasm for teaching new things to people.

It also is done with youtube clips in mind as the primary way to promote the show.

It is kind of telling that a show that tries to challenge people's preconceptions about many issues has to resort to extreme quirkyness so people don't get bored/offended, but here we are in this year 2017!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Paracaidas posted:

If the teacher didn't have to distribute floppy disks and write the command line input up on the whiteboard then it doesn't count.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i graduated high school at the end of 2007 and took 2008 off to focus on getting my first job and kickstarting my career!

:smith:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Adam Ruins Everything is just a liberal version of Penn and Teller's Bullshit!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Paracaidas posted:

Multi-colored graphics are one of the greatest innovations in gaming, you cad! :mad:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 3, 2017

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
oh lord he's awake

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/893082107081244672

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kal-L posted:

I think the presentation is done that way so Adam doesn't come across as snobbish/whatever negative impression people get from intellectuals. He is just a guy with an almost child-like enthusiasm for teaching new things to people.

It also is done with youtube clips in mind as the primary way to promote the show.

It is kind of telling that a show that tries to challenge people's preconceptions about many issues has to resort to extreme quirkyness so people don't get bored/offended, but here we are in this year 2017!

For sure, but it means his audience is inevitably going to be "beta Adams" looking for validation, not "alphas".

I know I couldn't show that clip to an "alpha" guy I know without him laughing in my face or launching into a diatribe about how the reason I'm a beta cuck is that I watch poo poo like this on youtube.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mr Interweb posted:

Multi-colored graphics are one of the greatest innovations in gaming, you cad! :mad:

The computer lab in my elementary school had multi-colored graphics. Some screens were green, some were yellow, and a few were white!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mantis42 posted:

Adam Ruins Everything is just a liberal version of Penn and Teller's Bullshit!

Hopefully without the Libertarian skew.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Shifty Pony posted:

The computer lab in my elementary school had multi-colored graphics. Some screens were green, some were yellow, and a few were white!

Sup Apple ][ bud?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/893083735633129472

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Finally, the pivot. The pivot into openly siding with Russia vs his own goddamn Congress.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Data Graham posted:

For sure, but it means his audience is inevitably going to be "beta Adams" looking for validation, not "alphas".

Sorry, but the clip showed there are no "alphas". Sounds more like you are describing assholes.

The show is not for winning discussions against assholes, but for people who are looking to know a bit more about a given issue. Hell, I read a lot on books and the internet and still found out new things from the show.

Maybe instead show them an episode about things they care about, like the charity or malls one?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

All-time low. Really.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

But how can it be at an all-time low, with so many people in the White House having friendly chats with Kremlin people all the time?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

canepazzo posted:

Finally, the pivot. The pivot into openly siding with Russia vs his own goddamn Congress.

I wonder how much more it'll take.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

tentative8e8op posted:

I wonder how much more it'll take.

By next week he'll be declaring that the cowardly and sad USA is now a vassal of the great and mighty Russian Empire.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Data Graham posted:

All-time low. Really.

I mean if you only count post-USSR he's not too far off?

(I don't actually believe this, but the laziest way to learn about something on the internet is to post something, incorrect or not, and wait for someone else to lay down some facts)

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Guys, Trump is working really hard, he deserves a break
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/893082120213712896
Not mentioned in the tweet, but he'll be out for 17 days.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
"Congress is lazy and bad! They're failing you by doing nothing! Now gently caress off, I'm going on vacation for the next 2 1/2 weeks."

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

So much for Kelly reigning him in at all.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lol

He could've just signed the Russia sanctions bill without comment, but no, he just has to lash out.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

If you like Russia so much, maybe you should move there. MRGA!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So are we in four seventeen days of the WH actually function semi properly, seventeen days spent calmly in the eye of the storm, or well the dregs he left gently caress it up and just spend the whole time backstabbing and scheming? I'd normally of said the former, but maybe Kelly can keep the pile of poo poo together well enough for two or so weeks. Really have no idea about how well he'll do as Chief of Staff, particularly with Trump temporarily out of the picture.

Ahh, who am I kidding Trump will probably just Tweet his usual chaos in from where ever he's holidaying.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

The cardinals have no process to stop or sack the Pope (other than their old standby assassination), so other than grumbling, what could they do about it?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I was wondering how many days Obama actually spent vacationing since Republicans bitched endlessly (I wasn't sure if 2.5 weeks was large or average) about it and while I knew Bush II took a bunch I didn't realize it was 1020 a bunch.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Radish posted:

I was wondering how many days Obama actually spent vacationing since Republicans bitched endlessly (I wasn't sure if 2.5 weeks was large or average) about it and while I knew Bush II took a bunch I didn't realize it was 1020 a bunch.

Trump is going on a working vacation so any vacation he takes isn't really time off.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

There Bias Two posted:

If you like Russia so much, maybe you should move there. MRGA!
No, Donald Trump leaving the USA for good would be a good step toward actually MAGA.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AbsolutelySane posted:

So much for Kelly reigning him in at all.

as one reporter described it, congress and even the administration have decided to deal with trump by acting like he's not the president and is just another guy tweeting stupid poo poo

which is suprisingly effective considering he doesn't know how to do anything else, the military has just ignored his trans thing so far

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Radish posted:

I mean, in a lot of cases, a presidential vacation amounts to doing slightly less work in a nicer climate. W at least continued to have meetings, briefings, etc. while at his ranch. Trump does almost nothing at the White House to begin with.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

i am the bird posted:

I mean, in a lot of cases, a presidential vacation amounts to doing slightly less work in a nicer climate. W at least continued to have meetings, briefings, etc. while at his ranch. Trump does almost nothing at the White House to begin with.

The conspiracy theorist on my shoulder wants me to think this is a medical vacation to patch up something. Either way I don't think we are going to be starving for tweets.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Covok posted:

I suppose so. How was it living in the 80s? Was Regan this batshit after he lost his marbles?

I can tell you that Thatcher's Britain was a hell hole but we didn't get a bill when I went to the clinic for a checkup.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Radish posted:

The conspiracy theorist on my shoulder wants me to think this is a medical vacation to patch up something. Either way I don't think we are going to be starving for tweets.

Just a routine pus-drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Yeah mock congress with a 30-something approval rating.

• Locked thread