Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I haven't played a multiplayer game of Civ since Civ III and I'm still not great at Civ VI. But I'm signing up anyway! (Please don't nuke me before I hit the Medieval era.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

About those online games, I'm curious....

Are there like tense nuclear standofs between superpowers? With both powers afraid of throwing the first punch?
Is there roleplaying, politics and actual diplomacy? Intrigue at the court, backstabbing and secret pacts?
Or ist just doing whatever.

I would like to hear some cool stories like that!

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
From what I've seen of civ 5 multiplayer on youtube, it's basically just a really really slow RTS.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

About those online games, I'm curious....

Are there like tense nuclear standofs between superpowers? With both powers afraid of throwing the first punch?
Is there roleplaying, politics and actual diplomacy? Intrigue at the court, backstabbing and secret pacts?
Or ist just doing whatever.

I would like to hear some cool stories like that!

All of the above.

If you wanna roleplay, you can. I've been doing that in the two Goon games I'm playing. I started a third game with personal friends, and I've tried RP'ing, but a couple of them don't reciprocate. No big deal.

There is actual diplomacy, yes. Real wheeling-and-dealing. That's part of why I like the multiplayer significantly more than solo play; it completely removes the bonkers AI from the equation, and even if the AI was "good," doing good diplomacy in a game like this is basically impossible.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I've never had this occur before, but I am about 200 turns into a game and the game crashes every time I try to capture a city. Looking on google this seems to happen a lot to people, but all the solutions online have to do with spys and razing cities. I only have 1 spy and it's a counterspy.

Anyway, does anyone know what's up or how to fix this?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

alpha_destroy posted:

I've never had this occur before, but I am about 200 turns into a game and the game crashes every time I try to capture a city. Looking on google this seems to happen a lot to people, but all the solutions online have to do with spys and razing cities. I only have 1 spy and it's a counterspy.

Anyway, does anyone know what's up or how to fix this?

Is it the same city you are trying to capture and is it always on the same turn? I had a crash bug like that and solved it by delaying the action on turn, that is try to capture it on another turn and see what happens.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

Is it the same city you are trying to capture and is it always on the same turn? I had a crash bug like that and solved it by delaying the action on turn, that is try to capture it on another turn and see what happens.

I delayed on that city. Still crashed. I went to a different city after that (which took a couple turns). Crash. I went to a third city and it was captured fine. Weird... Thanks.

Edit: Hahahaha, the other two cities are still bugged. What the hell?

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 3, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, there's diplomacy (I recommend talking with as many people as you can really, be active there if possible) and some people RP during it (I reciprocate it for those who do but otherwise I tend to just talk normally myself). It can be pretty fun. I probably should have engaged in it a bit more in one of the goon games I'm in, really. Though sometimes it can be tough if the other people don't respond, admittedly. Talk more, people; talking to your opponents is one of the best parts of multiplayer games like this.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Roland Jones posted:

Double posting because I make good decisions:

I've started a new game up with all the DLC (though I've claimed Nubia for myself because I want to play them, so, sorry), because clearly that's the best decision to make after a buggy patch. Usual goon game settings: Online speed, fractal map, six players, etc. Probably shouldn't join if you're on a Mac since it'll be a while until that's patched, though on the other hand maybe that'll give them time to fix the things they broke too (yeah right). Password lljk.

Let's play this busted game together. (Hopefully I get a start that has actual fresh water and isn't really constricting this time.)

I joined as glorious Australia because why not?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Welp, Rome's capital is bugged too and since this game is conquest only that means my game is unwinnable.Times to kill 20 turns so I can finish getting Pyramid Scheme.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roland Jones posted:

Hey, so, remember how people were talking about the Classical Republic legacy bonus being gone? It's not actually gone. I found it.

...I think things might be a bit buggy, guys. (I never selected Classical Republic in this game, so, I don't know where that bonus came from.)

Follow-up on this: Despite what the game says, I'm not getting bonus GPP with Oligarchy, so, I think this bug is just it telling you the wrong information, not it actually giving the wrong bonuses. Which is still very odd, mind, but... Could be worse, I suppose?

Also, two slots left in the new game, for anyone who wants to give MP a try.

karmaconfetti
Dec 22, 2009

Wie vuur eet, schijt vonken.
I have joined the goon game as well :)

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I guess a goon game could be fun since the AI becomes irrelevant. Do people actually use navies in goon games, or are they just irrelevant to a victorious game?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

I guess a goon game could be fun since the AI becomes irrelevant. Do people actually use navies in goon games, or are they just irrelevant to a victorious game?

no one knows (this game started in january)

Current Round: 70

Last Turn: 6 days, 2 hours and 35 minutes ago

Average Turn Time: 11 hours and 2 minutes

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I have lost all interest.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

to be fair some of that is due to mac patches lagging

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh wow. Yeah, the game that started in April is at turn 113 now, meanwhile, and that one was made specifically without Mac players to avoid, well, Mac patch issues.

I don't know how much navies have factored into it, though I used some a bit before my ignoble defeat at the hands of Alexander. I've also made some boats in the Summer game but it's not far along enough for real naval warfare.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
I haven't gotten to play that much multiplayer, but before the patch dropped and hosed Mac users the experience was fairly good. Took 1 or 2 turns a day and things were just starting to get to a point where a turn could be interesting before we went on hiatus.

I reckon the real question is do you generally have 5 minutes a day to spend on thinking about the game? Do you have the patience to stick with it for a few turns of (download save) click next turn (upload save) until things start happening? Then give it a shot; it's not a big time commitment.

Don't play with pubbies though unless you like massive delays with no communication.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

To add to the naval battles between Roland Jones's Persia and me (he almost pulled off an Immortal and galley invasion on me) on the spring game:

I won a domination victory as Scythia on Goon Game 3. In the end there was only markus_cz's China on one continent with two AIs after their players quit and me on the other after annexing my two human neighbours.

Since it was a continents map my initial plan was to turtle after my mid game wars and use my demographic and production advantage to get me to Mars but my lonely privateer built for exploration found an unguarded Chinese settler and it was too tempting to let that pass so I said why the hell not? I declared war and switched production to frigates and caravels.

Markus was busy consolidating his own continent and I managed to get a beachhead on one of his cities. After that there was his tech advantage against my production and veterans. While I pushed slowly to the 3 last capitals inland I used my navy to secure all his coastal cities.

We both did get some mileage of corps and armies and got to build a few planes. Also his spies recruiting partisans scared the poo poo out of me when I had to face half a dozen barbarian modern armor in my rearguard as I was rolling with standard tanks and cavalry corps on his continent.

Besides bragging I only wanted to say that PBEM with goons is cool and navies rule. :colbert:

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 3, 2017

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Whoa are all these games being played with round-robin turns instead of simultaneous? Holy poo poo that sounds 8x more tedious than anything I could stand. I was thinking 11 hours per turn was pretty good, but if that's for a single player in an 8 player game that means you're lucky to get 2 (global) turns every week?

I played one or two games of Dominions 3 back in the day but I can't imagine a literal 6+ month PBEM game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Asimov posted:

Whoa are all these games being played with round-robin turns

They have to be, that's how the bodged-together PBEM works

You're quite right though, playing Civ games in this fashion is hot garbage, they're barely designed with single-player in mind, let alone multiplayer pacing. At least if you play one of the 50-turn scenarios you might be done in a mere two years time.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ulvino posted:

To add to the naval battles between Roland Jones's Persia and me (he almost pulled off an Immortal and galley invasion on me) on the spring game:

You're giving me more credit than I deserve, I handled that invasion so badly. (Though it did look okay at first, then things went... Poorly.)

Really, though, I shouldn't have gone for you at all; I should have, since my starting position was terrible (I basically forward-settled two people at once with my first (and last; I had no room after that) settler I made and, when they learned where I was stuck, both were okay with it because they realized I really had no other options), built up and then immediately gone for either Rome or India instead. Ate them, got big, and then used the route they opened up for me to expand more (or just ate the other one too just because). Would have likely been too big for you to invade after that either, so I could have then gone on to my original plan of culture victory or maybe work towards domination.

Instead, because I talked with them so much, I wound up feeling bad about the idea of backstabbing either one of them (this is one of the big reasons to be diplomatic with people, by the way; they're less likely to attack you if you talk with them a lot, unless you're annoying or a jerk), then I learned you were nearby and thought "oh hey, I'll be a nice guy and take out Alexander for everyone while it's early and he's still weak".

Turns out Alexander is never, ever weak. And also that your entire army being ranged makes the +10 ranged defense advancement hurt a lot, on top of all the other bonuses Alex can stack.

TL;DR: I played Cyrus in a very un-Cyrus way, and that cost me the game. I think I realized, like, a turn or two before I attacked how bad my whole plan had been, too, despite every step of the way having seemed reasonable at the time. And I had some clever moments, like, upon realizing you were Lisbon's suzerain and could see my forces incoming, moved like I was surrounding them instead, then went in on you when someone else took suzerain status from you there.

Edit: I don't have any old saves from that game; if anyone still in it can grab a screenshot showing off just how little room I had in my starting peninsula, that'd be great.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 3, 2017

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Yeah, it sucks how it has to be hobbled together. A way to play for the first 100-150 turns simultaneously, with the option to continue playing as PBEM functions now would be nice.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
How do you avoid cheating? Just the honor policy? Or is the map fully revealed always so you can't cheat?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

How do you avoid cheating? Just the honor policy? Or is the map fully revealed always so you can't cheat?

You can only do your turn, after you finish yours the next person's is locked for you, so that's not a problem.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I see how that's the way it's got to be from a technical standpoint, but yeesh. Don't worry Firaxis will fix everything with the next expansion... or the one after that.

:gbsmith:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wouldn't mind being part of some live multiplayer sessions sometime too, really. If we could get 4-8 people together on a weekend or something, that'd be pretty fun. Could either do scenarios or have an ongoing game.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I picked this game up after probably a 5+ year hiatus on Civ games. Had fun relearning some basics and apparent new basics. Got hit by the no governmental bonuses bug so that's fun.

One thing I don't remember is units auto turning into ships to cross water ways. Didn't you used to have to make huge fleets of transport ships?

Also give me any tips that the lovely Google articles on the game don't have. TIA

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

tangy yet delightful posted:

One thing I don't remember is units auto turning into ships to cross water ways. Didn't you used to have to make huge fleets of transport ships?

Is that way since Civ 5

Personally, I miss transport ships, its a loving pain in the arse to have to move each unit individually at the sea when sending an army abroad

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is that way since Civ 5

Personally, I miss transport ships, its a loving pain in the arse to have to move each unit individually at the sea when sending an army abroad

I find it more of a pain to build separate ships that can only transport and hope they'll be where I need them when a war starts.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roland Jones posted:

Double posting because I make good decisions:

I've started a new game up with all the DLC (though I've claimed Nubia for myself because I want to play them, so, sorry), because clearly that's the best decision to make after a buggy patch. Usual goon game settings: Online speed, fractal map, six players, etc. Probably shouldn't join if you're on a Mac since it'll be a while until that's patched, though on the other hand maybe that'll give them time to fix the things they broke too (yeah right). Password lljk.

Let's play this busted game together. (Hopefully I get a start that has actual fresh water and isn't really constricting this time.)

One more slot left in this, if anyone wants to join us.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

homullus posted:

I find it more of a pain to build separate ships that can only transport and hope they'll be where I need them when a war starts.

I prefer, at least you only had to move and defend these few ships, instead of dozens of embarked land units

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
My first game as Nubia was pretty ok, didn't see many bugs but yesterday I started a new game and wow.... Every single turn Pericles will ask me for a friendship agreement, as will Cyrus, despite me beating him in a war 1 turn earlier. As soon as I generate a great work the AI tries to buy it from me for about 20 gold. The AI also constantly sends me trades that they won't accept to begin with, usually for my extra luxury resources. The AI still declares war constantly but this time they don't even try to attack you. I've had 3 joint declarations against me and 1 single war and the only unit I have killed was a city state slinger and a scout that got caught by border expansion. I haven't even seen the AI move units toward my borders despite my 4 cities being protected by nothing more than a swordsman and an archer.

I also do not understand the research in this game, I have won with every civ and the only time I built the research district was when I played as Greece to try the mountain bonus. You don't even have to try, you will always be at least on the same level of research as the AI. When you actually build research districts you will be so far ahead that your tanks will roll over musketmen.

I think this patch made the game much worse, previously it was at least somewhat enjoyable to get a quick game in.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

TjyvTompa posted:

My first game as Nubia was pretty ok, didn't see many bugs but yesterday I started a new game and wow.... Every single turn Pericles will ask me for a friendship agreement, as will Cyrus, despite me beating him in a war 1 turn earlier. As soon as I generate a great work the AI tries to buy it from me for about 20 gold. The AI also constantly sends me trades that they won't accept to begin with, usually for my extra luxury resources. The AI still declares war constantly but this time they don't even try to attack you. I've had 3 joint declarations against me and 1 single war and the only unit I have killed was a city state slinger and a scout that got caught by border expansion. I haven't even seen the AI move units toward my borders despite my 4 cities being protected by nothing more than a swordsman and an archer.

I also do not understand the research in this game, I have won with every civ and the only time I built the research district was when I played as Greece to try the mountain bonus. You don't even have to try, you will always be at least on the same level of research as the AI. When you actually build research districts you will be so far ahead that your tanks will roll over musketmen.

I think this patch made the game much worse, previously it was at least somewhat enjoyable to get a quick game in.

What difficulty are you playing on?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Gort posted:

What difficulty are you playing on?

King. I know that it would not be like this if I played on harder difficulties, but it just feels wrong to have the AI needing huge bonuses to even give the slightest opposition.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Transport ships wouldn't really work well with 1UPT. Unloading units may take multiple turns, ruining your invasion.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

John F Bennett posted:

Transport ships wouldn't really work well with 1UPT. Unloading units may take multiple turns, ruining your invasion.

you could totally make it work--at least i think you could. transports hold up to four units, right, and just remove the "landing penalty" where it costs all your movement to disembark. you could unload all four units easily unless you landed adjacent to a hill. but then i'm also thinking civ 5 move rules where you could move into hills or forests , so it wouldn't be so smooth in 6.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

King. I know that it would not be like this if I played on harder difficulties, but it just feels wrong to have the AI needing huge bonuses to even give the slightest opposition.
Believe me it's like that on the harder difficulties but also you basically can't even get a religion.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

jBrereton posted:

Believe me it's like that on the harder difficulties but also you basically can't even get a religion.

Civ has always had huge problems with its difficulty levels. I remember playing Civ 5 on higher levels basically meant you never got a wonder until the renaissance due to the front-loaded AI bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Playing a MP game right now with a friend against a bunch of AI. Confirming that Ghandi is pissed nobody has nukes at 500 AD. Also that AI will suggest a deal, reject this deal that they came up with before you even have a chance to respond - i.e. notification that the AI has a trade offer, get to trade screen and it already says 'There's no way I'll accept this', but then when you click the "make this deal more equitable" they will agree to it without changing anything (????) On the plus side, more AI are willing to be friendly with me to the point where I'm being spammed by friendship requests from direct neighbors which I don't remember happening before. The only AI's pissed at my glorious Spanish empire are Saladin because of religous reasons and Grogo because... well... Gorgo hates pretty much everyone. So it's been a quiet game diplomatically. It helps that I've been able to expand almost unimpeded, until I got to my 7th city I wanted to drop but Egypt placed a city near that location like three turns before I could settle. I'll pick it up later in a Holy war or something.

Still. The game we're playing is as fun as enjoyable as all our other civ co-op games. Which is to say, that the two of us aren't looking for particularly robust AI and just enjoy empire building in the Civ format with the occasional dumb war against an AI.