Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm still completely stunned at how much "Russia is a dead story" denial there is out there. These people are loving telling you their priorities and they're all putting Russia above everything else. It's one thing to put party before country, but this is a whole other level, and they're not even loving hiding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

evilweasel posted:

as one reporter described it, congress and even the administration have decided to deal with trump by acting like he's not the president and is just another guy tweeting stupid poo poo

which is suprisingly effective considering he doesn't know how to do anything else, the military has just ignored his trans thing so far
It's been what, a week since the trans tweet?

The WH has still not issued any kind of policy document or statement.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Harrow posted:

I'm still completely stunned at how much "Russia is a dead story" denial there is out there. These people are loving telling you their priorities and they're all putting Russia above everything else. It's one thing to put party before country, but this is a whole other level, and they're not even loving hiding it.

Dude they're not even denying it anymore - his base is all "so what if he colluded a bit? Liberal angry and we won #maga"

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Washington Post got ahold of the transcripts of the calls Trump made to Mexico and Australia shortly after inauguration. It is incredible.

quote:

“This is going to kill me,” he said to Turnbull. “I am the world’s greatest person that does not want to let people into the country. And now I am agreeing to take 2,000 people.”

The Jan. 28 call with Turnbull became particularly acrimonious. “I have had it,” Trump erupted after the two argued about an agreement on refugees. “I have been making these calls all day, and this is the most unpleasant call all day.”

Before ending the call, Trump noted that at least one of his conversations that day had gone far more smoothly. “Putin was a pleasant call,” Trump said, referring to Russian President Vladi­mir Putin. “This is ridiculous.”

Other highlights include him asking the president of Mexico to stop saying he won't pay for the wall because it makes him look bad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Withnail posted:

Yeah mock congress with a 30-something approval rating.

Eh, theirs is like 17

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Phoix posted:

Washington Post got ahold of the transcripts of the calls Trump made to Mexico and Australia shortly after inauguration. It is incredible.

Other highlights include him asking the president of Mexico to stop saying he won't pay for the wall because it makes him look bad.
It's amazing how the more information comes out, the more it reinforces the reality that he has the temperament of a 5 year old

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Drone posted:

Just a routine pus-drain.

This would never happen. There'd be nothing left but dried up, leathery skin if you removed all the pus.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

quote:

TURNBULL
Okay, I will explain why. It is not because they are bad people. It is because in order to stop people smugglers, we had to deprive them of the product. So we said if you try to come to Australia by boat, even if we think you are the best person in the world, even if you are a Noble [sic] Prize winning genius, we will not let you in. Because the problem with the people —

TRUMP
That is a good idea. We should do that too. You are worse than I am.

I keep having to double check that this article is real.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

pillsburysoldier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTyQgwVvYyc

I want Cernovich to lose his mind over this so bad
how does he make me hate him so much

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Trump making all the other politicians miserable is a silver lining.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I guess as long as Trump is on vacation and Congress is in recess we should at least have a nice slow couple of weeks where nothing happens except for embarrassing stuff leaking out that we can laugh at.

e:

quote:

“I hate taking these people,” Trump said. “I guarantee you they are bad. That is why they are in prison right now. They are not going to be wonderful people who go on to work for the local milk people” — an apparent reference to U.S. dairy farms.

Turnbull tried to salvage the deal, noting that the detainees were economic refugees who had not been accused of crimes. He explained that they were being denied entry into Australia because of a policy aimed at discouraging human smuggling.

jfc

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Eh, theirs is like 17

Yeah it's pretty hosed up when every branch in government has a sub 40% approval rating but there's really no shake up planned from either party.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Trump making all the other politicians miserable is a silver lining.

Yeah.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Phoix posted:

quote:

“On the wall, you and I both have a political problem,” Trump said. “My people stand up and say, ‘Mexico will pay for the wall,’ and your people probably say something in a similar but slightly different language.”
This fucker is straight up delusional.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
TRUMP: They are sending drugs to Chicago, Los Angeles, and to New York. Up in New Hampshire – I won New Hampshire because New Hampshire is a drug-infested den – is coming from the southern border.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

This would never happen. There'd be nothing left but dried up, leathery skin if you removed all the pus.

They use a bike pump to re-inflate, you can see how well it works by looking at Ted Cruz.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

DaveWoo posted:

TRUMP: They are sending drugs to Chicago, Los Angeles, and to New York. Up in New Hampshire – I won New Hampshire because New Hampshire is a drug-infested den – is coming from the southern border.

Wut.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Comrade Fakename posted:

I've repeatedly heard that bringing about change is actually really difficult for Pope Francis (assuming he even wants to do that), because he has to deal with all the cardinals and so on. But I've never had it explained as to how that's actually the case. What, precisely is stopping Pope Frank from popping out on his balcony on Easter Sunday and announcing to the crowd, and the world's media, that God spoke to him the night before and now contraception is fine and so are gays and abortions, peace?

Surely, the Pope is infallible, so this now becomes Catholic doctrine, right? Every Catholic heard it, no one can say that contraception is wrong since the Pope clearly said it wasn't. The cardinals have no process to stop or sack the Pope (other than their old standby assassination), so other than grumbling, what could they do about it? The worst I can see is that they schism into a new "No-Homers" Catholic Church, but considering that means giving up their cushy positions and access to the Church's property and mountain of cash, plus the fact that the Church probably has dirt on every single one of them, I think that's unlikely.

I'm no scholar on the matter, so please, tell me where I'm wrong.

Speaking "from the cathedral" like that is a really big deal. A big deal to the point that even when popes were a major political power and quasi ruler of large parts of europe they stayed away hard from that stuff. Like there is only a handful of things ever in all of catholic history spoken as infallible church doctrine and it's almost all very basic stuff about like, what happened to mary when she died and if you go to heaven when you die or after the judgement day. It's all theology stuff.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

DaveWoo posted:

Can anyone from New Hampshire confirm whether this is true or false.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Can anyone from New Hampshire confirm whether this is true or false.
Trump did not win New Hampshire

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Phoix posted:

I keep having to double check that this article is real.

I literally screamed "WHAT" out loud and got the entire office to stare at me. Cool.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

theflyingorc posted:

I was about to say this as a joke thinking "no, no way is this possibly what's funny about it"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Data Graham posted:

I was about to say this as a joke thinking "no, no way is this possibly what's funny about it"

I had to go check - NH was extremely close, but it went to Clinton.

So he's claiming a thing that didn't happen happened because of other things that didn't happen.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

quote:

Trump also threatened to impose tariffs of up to 35 percent on imports from Mexico, saying that as president he had been given “tremendous taxation powers for trade,” even though tariffs are mainly the province of Congress.

lmao

theflyingorc posted:

was about to say this :lol:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This won't be 17 days of peace and quiet. It will be 17 days of trump tweeting without anyone around to stop him. Day one: insult every republican in the house and senate before 9 am.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Maybe he was thinking of the primaries?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Some days it's really reassuring to know that I would, in fact, be more competent at being President of the United States than this guy. It's a real confidence booster.

On other days it's completely terrifying.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
TRUMP
Malcom [sic], why is this so important? I do not understand. This is going to kill me. I am the world’s greatest person that does not want to let people into the country. And now I am agreeing to take 2,000 people and I agree I can vet them, but that puts me in a bad position. It makes me look so bad and I have only been here a week.

TURNBULL
With great respect, that is not right – It is not 2,000.

TRUMP
Well, it is close. I have also heard like 5,000 as well.

TURNBULL
The given number in the agreement is 1,250 and it is entirely a matter of your vetting. I think that what you could say is that the Australian government is consistent with the principles set out in the Executive Order.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
It also shows that you need at least some competence to dynamite government institutions. Rand Paul or Marco Rubio would be getting legislation passed right now in addition to crappy picks.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

These are the federal judicial positions left vacant because the Senate refused to vote or confirm most of Obama's nominees after the GOP gained a majority. Even Trump's minor accomplishments are the result of the GOP shutting down the Obama admin. However my main reason for posting this is to point out how the GOP Senate's failure to do it's constitutionally defined job had essentially no long-term political repercussions. Fox news even feels comfortable enough to portray the outcome positively ie look at all these appointments the hard-working Republican President is making. This is a problem when the voting public is supposed to be the final check on this kind of behavior. The Garland nomination was just the highest profile case and it's already down the memory hole.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gonna be fantastic hearing what T_D has to say about this transcript of Big Daddy and his unfiltered negotiating skillz :pwn:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

aware of dog posted:

Guys, Trump is working really hard, he deserves a break
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/893082120213712896
Not mentioned in the tweet, but he'll be out for 17 days.

Incoming job approval rebound

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Can someone link the full transcript? I cannot see it in the WAPO article

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Can someone link the full transcript? I cannot see it in the WAPO article

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/politics/australia-mexico-transcripts/?utm_term=.f3037d6d5a01

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Turnbull must have been the epitome of :wtc: after that phone call.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Catholic Church and the Pope is a antediluvian mysgonistic cult that perpetrates some of the worst ideals for the human race and still advocates against the use of condoms in African which is one of the reason HIV is so widespread among other things like conspiring with literal Nazis, covering up the rape of children, basically theft from the poor, torturing people who are dying by withholding pain medication etc.. etc..
While I can't argue with the rest of this, the 'conspiring with Nazis' bit is kind of overblown, especially when they literally had pope-sanctioned assassination squads trying to kill Hitler.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Lote posted:

Turnbull must have been the epitome of :wtc: after that phone call.

Trumbull is a suburb in Connecticut

edit: ack, you beat me

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

i am the bird posted:

I mean, in a lot of cases, a presidential vacation amounts to doing slightly less work in a nicer climate. W at least continued to have meetings, briefings, etc. while at his ranch. Trump does almost nothing at the White House to begin with.

I wonder if Trump understands that the vast majority of the duties of the job follow him no matter what.

I could see him getting really pissed off because I'm on vacation dammit stop bothering me with all this unimportant crap.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Somebody reads hannity twitter comments.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nocturtle posted:

These are the federal judicial positions left vacant because the Senate refused to vote or confirm most of Obama's nominees after the GOP gained a majority. Even Trump's minor accomplishments are the result of the GOP shutting down the Obama admin. However my main reason for posting this is to point out how the GOP Senate's failure to do it's constitutionally defined job had essentially no long-term political repercussions. Fox news even feels comfortable enough to portray the outcome positively ie look at all these appointments the hard-working Republican President is making. This is a problem when the voting public is supposed to be the final check on this kind of behavior. The Garland nomination was just the highest profile case and it's already down the memory hole.

One of the issues is that the voting public has more personal issues to be concerned with, especially in the current situation where they are all one paycheck away from disaster, to care about congress doing its job. The system should not allow for this type of abuse in the first place rather than hoping the average person has been informed well enough to care about stuff that won't have an obvious effect and even the political media barely cares about and then vote accordingly. Especially when our garbage system only allows for two political parties.

A system that relies entirely on voters to vote out bad actors because it naively doesn't think parties will vote for themselves over the interests of the country is really stupid.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dwarf74 posted:

While I can't argue with the rest of this, the 'conspiring with Nazis' bit is kind of overblown, especially when they literally had pope-sanctioned assassination squads trying to kill Hitler.

There's a great movie somewhere in there.

• Locked thread